Hahnemann University Hospital

Updated August 13, 2014

3.2

Hahnemann University Hospital CEO Michael Halter
Michael Halter

Worst hospital in Philly!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Hahnemann University Hospital full-time

Pros

HUH hires new nurses... That's all I've got...

Cons

No advancement what so ever, doesn't exist! Worst so-called management team I've ever worked with, lots of favoritism, everyone in management were buddies. Low staff morale due to low pay, horrible benefits, tough patients and work load, no appreciation from management. Dirty, filthy work conditions, high work load including tasks that were not included in job description. Nurses left before orientation was over, I was considered having high seniority after being there 18 months! No staff education provided... I almost left the field of nursing soon after starting here bc of the work conditions and such low pay and expensive benefits

Hire properly trained management staff, educate your nurses and support them!!!

GREAT!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - CNA  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - CNA in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Hahnemann University Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with nursing staff was great and challenging. Beautiful experience

Cons

There was great opportunity for growth and expanding your experience.

Treat your staff with respect and it was wrong for management to get rid of the Certified Nursing Assistants

Although stressful, working at Hahnemann teaches new RNs many aspects of nursing care, and will hire new nurses

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Phila, PA

I worked at Hahnemann University Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, work 3 12-hour shifts a week, hire new nurses, all RN model so good nurse to patient ratio (maximum 4 patients per nurse)

Cons

compensation, rotating between day and night shifts frequently, work every 3rd weekend, stressful work environment

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing- wish I had started elsewhere.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Hahnemann University Hospital full-time

Pros

The hospital has Magnet status. Tuition reimbursement is helpful and substantial.

Cons

You always know that is a for-profit institution. There is a huge lack of helpful ancillary staff.

Good place to start out, but no place to have a career

I have been working at Hahnemann University Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Starting a new career after leaving school, this was the only hospital to give me a chance, which I do appreciate. The starting salary was decent, if a bit lower than I was expecting to find in Philadelphia. There are a lot of opportunities to learn new skills and knowledge thanks to the diverse patient population, and my co-workers are, for the most part, very pleasant to work with. The hospital also gives discount parking to employees, which is nice. The hospital also has a good 401K matching program.

Cons

The opportunity for advancement is non-existant, unless you are a favorite of your manager. My working group has experienced a very bad time with our new manager. On a personal level, she promised me a more desirable shift--and then gave it to her new favorite, who was hired months after me and had less training, education, and professionalism. When I confronted her about it (as politely as I could), she flatly denied having ever offered me the job, and avoided me for months afterward. And, rather than promoting an employee that had worked in our department for years to a more desirable position when it became open, she brazenly hired one of her friends from her previous job. When multiple people in our department complained to HR, they were told that the manager could hire whoever she wished (never mind that it is Hahnemann's written policy that internal candidates should be given preference to external candidates). When the jilted senior employee then tried to switch departments so that she could have a schedule that would better work with her child-care responsibilities, our manager created a completely bogus written warning against her so that she couldn't transfer. Just to add insult to injury, mandatory overtime is issued to everyone in our department on a regular basis--except, oh, look, to the manger's two favored employees who are too "busy" to do overtime like the rest of us trash who work there. Added to the fact that nurses and physicians are allowed to verbally abuse us at will because the manager is desperate to be their darling, working here has gone from being an exciting opportunity to being an endlessly miserable experience. We come to work every day knowing that our manager is eagerly waiting for a chance to get rid of us, that we will never advance, and that HR is entirely on the side of the manager.

Health benefits here are also extremely poor--you'll pay at least $1500 out of pocket before you begin to be covered for an individual, even more if you have a family. The payed time off is extremely unimpressive, new employees getting only about two weeks time off (and only after this time accumulates with every pay period) and this time is pooled for sick, personal and vacation. All of the holidays here are unpaid, so, if a holiday falls on a day you would normally work on, you are not only forced to not work, but you are also forced to give up your vacation time for that day you are forced to not work. Also, Tenet, the for-profit Texan monster that owns this hospital, is incredibly cheap. My raise this year was a whole 50 cents.

Unsurprisingly, turnover in this hospital is incredibly high, and morale is very low. Take a job here if you need the experience, but be prepared to leave as soon as you can find a better place to have an actual career. This place is awful.

You are loosing talented and hard-working employees by the dozen because you won't enforce your own policies. You will continue to be the hospital of last resort to prospective employees if you continue to offer your employees such poor benefits and so few incentives to stay.

Good for experience but is a very stressful work environment

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Hahnemann University Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will learn a lot due to the varied patient population. Helps you to develop skills while working under pressure.

Cons

Too many patients to each nurse. Management expects you to do too much in too little time and you will get in trouble if you stay late clocked in to finish up. Not enough support for nurses. Tough patient population.

MidAtlantic MedEvac

Current Employee - Flight Paramedic  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Flight Paramedic in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Hahnemann University Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a busy air medical program in greater Philadelphia and you get to work with some the best clinicians in the area.

Cons

Management is successful despite themselves,
    Management has no oversight by the company that owns them,
    The air medical vendor is not experienced and is trying to bootstrap their way in order to grow.

None. They don't listen.

its been ok for the time being

Current Employee - CNA  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - CNA in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Hahnemann University Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

not much to do so basically you get paid to be bored.

Cons

they cancel you like every other day.

Sounds like a great place, but it is NOT!!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phila, PA

Pros

The floor staff is friendly and team work can be found throughout most of the hospital

Cons

The salary is below the national average, there is no praise for a job well done, the patients are all homeless, rude, outstay the medical need for them to be there, there is no incentive to do or be better, there is no help i.e. nurses aids, iv teams, transport (at night) and very high patient ratio

exciting and challenging. Very rewarding.

Former Employee - RN, ICU  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - RN, ICU in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Hahnemann University Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

top notch nurses and docs, interesting cases and vibrant atmosphere.

Cons

nothing unusual, just shift work which every nurse has to suffer through

great job. keep up the good work.

Worked for Hahnemann University Hospital? Contribute to the Community!