Hain Celestial

Hain Celestial Chairman, President, and CEO Irwin D. Simon

Irwin D. Simon

Temp-to hire Consumer Relations

Consumer Relations Representative (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsGreat People. Hain-Celestial is the leader in the natural and organic food industry. Great company to work for, lots to learn and know.

ConsThis company is a great one to work for but very hard to get on permanently as a temp. Most employees are hired for 9 months out of the year, laid off for three and hired back again perpetually, but those are production workers. As a Customer Service Rep., I was informed that if I was there for a year they would either have to hire me or let me go. During my 11 and a half months at this job, 4 other temps had come and gone before they had been there 6 months. I was the only one left and hopeful. But, I was let go for no reason 2 days before my birthday. :-(

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat is the most sustainable solution?

DISFUNCTION, LIES, AND A LACK OF INTEGRITY

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsProducts on trend for now

ConsI left my previous organization after nearly a decade of work for Hain Celestial. What a mistake! As a person who was always a strong achiever and performer and rose rapidly throughout my career, Hain Celestial proved to be a disaster.

You can't say I wasn't warned. I read the same reviews you are reviewing and chalked it up to sour grapes and always believed I could "rise above" whatever the situation may be. Read not just mine, but many others of the middle management of past Hain employees. It's very telling...

Here's the reality for you as a candidate. While ALL jobs and companies have their flaws, what makes Hain's especially disturbing is the blatant lying and lack of integrity. Examples are as follows...

Being promised to get stock options during my interview process. Asked for it in writing and was told they don't put that in writing. Six months later when the year ended I asked for them and was told it was not going to happen.

Being allowed to penetrate my account. Three months into my new job and I hadn't made a call on my customer. Furthermore when I discussed this with my boss that the broker was not letting me into my account that I had called on for the last ten years, my boss made excuses for the broker and failed to stand up for me. As time went on, he essentially ignored my ten years of experience with the account and made his own rules and cut me out of the customer altogether. I guess I forgot what the hell I was doing...

Told I was the "face of the organization" to my customer and my broker partner. In the meantime I had my boss from day one entertaining an unprofessional relationship with the broker partner that MAY have had ethical questions to it. I won't discuss that further...

In addition, a quid pro quo if you will of giving the broker favorable feedback to management, in spite of me in writing questioning the numerous shortfalls, in exchange for a recommendation to the CEO for a promotion. Note the CEO was in alliance with this broker president because of a previous snack brand bought by the company.

Let me add some icing and cherries on top of this mess.

Antiquated systems. A lack of process altogether even on simple things like forecasting of business and new items.

Trade planning that started and stopped every thirteen weeks. Try explaining to a customer that your live accrual just disappeared and doesn't "carry over."

Bonuses that come late if at all. I made my last quarter bonus before I left but Hain conveniently fell back on the "lack of a written policy." In other words, it's 100% discretionary. I have the screen shots as proof. Too expensive to pursue a lawyer for what it's worth. Hain knows this too...you've been warned.

Benefits that are outrageously expensive and based on how much money you earn. You earn more...you pay more. Never seen this before in my life...

All emails disappear after 120 days. Can't catch them in a lie if the truth is gone...

Expense checks that you nearly have to come to blows with someone to get paid back...and they float the money for 60 days. Hope you don't run up big expenses!

How about my company phone? An iPhone 4. Felt like a cinder block in my pocket. Circa 2007.

A marketing team that is weak and late to the game with respect to innovation. Hain's idea of innovation is to buy innovative companies, lay everyone off, and suck the life out of their investment. But when you continue to play in the sandbox of smaller, more nimble companies, you get lapped time and time again on the innovation front.

And then as these categories begin to mature which after 25 years in organics/natural space some of them are...the company is at a disadvantage because they mainly co-pack their products. Thus, as the customer base ratchets up their respective Store Brand portfolios, Hain remains on the outside looking in, ultimately unable to compete. I bet you love being in sales now.

At the end of the day I landed on my feet. The cream always rises to the top. It inconvenienced my life a bit and probably just hurt my ego more than anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementI met the CEO. He isn't listening and neither were my bosses. Bad attitude? Who would have a good one in this situation? I wish I could tell you I embellished this...problem is I didn't.

Don't make the mistake I did. Stay away...far away!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

say no to this place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCan't really think of any. It may look kind of good on your resume if you're in the natural grocery space, but everyone in the industry knows this is where great products and brands are going to die.

Conspoorly managed. extremely cumbersome corporate processes. upper management is greedy, full of secret agenda and office politics.There is always a sense of discontent and detachment. Creative, driven, entrepreneurial personality will not thrive here.

Advice to Senior Managementlook around, your employees are not happy

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great part-time job for a student

Guest Relations Associate (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsFairly flexible hours and scheduling around your needs
    Paid holidays
    Great staff

ConsNot much room for advancement from entry level
    Growing corporate mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has had a great history of promoting from within. Don't forget how you built employee loyalty.

Bleak Paranoid Environment, Egotistical Hierarchical Management

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) Melville, NY

ProsWonderful colleagues, nearly all here because of the poor job climate. Talented and intelligent people. Pretense of work-life balance, although if you actually require medical leave or your family has a crisis, do not look for support among upper management.

This is a great company for stockholders and a miserable environment for employees.

ConsThose with management responsibilities are specifically directed to provoke fear in subordinates. Nearly all “pep talks” include the barely veiled threat that we could all be on the street at any time. This applies up and down the organization, although it is most manipulatively applied to those at the bottom of the stack. The lowest paid employees, if they actually are employees and not temps, are treated with gross condescension masked as concern for the well being of all.

Bonuses are a joke. At least one manager has walked off the job upon discovering how paltry these much ballyhooed perks were. Unless you’re a c-suite officer of course, in which case congratulations on making your substantial fortunes at the expense of those you've walked on.

If you are in dire need of a job, take it, but don’t be fooled by the collegial window dressing.

Don't be shocked the first time you sit in a management conference call and are told to put nothing in writing.

Don’t be fooled by the self-congratulatory propaganda that you’re making the world a better place. Read the label.

Advice to Senior ManagementA C-suite officer once told me this was “essentially a flat company, organizationally. This is the least hierarchical company you’ll ever work for”. This is either delusional, or a lie. I was in the military for six years and it was much less hierarchical than Hain.

Unsatisfied

Retail Sales (Current Employee) West Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat Product variety and consumer friendly

ConsConstant downsizing, Products behind the curve

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more Employee "friendly"

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Melville, NY

Pros- Great company, high values and good sense of community. Older employees were very outgoing to help younger employees. Took time to train and educate me as an intern involving me in daily operations.

Cons- Many employees are on the older side if your looking for a younger environment. Traffic on the LIE can be bad depending on the day.

Advice to Senior Management- Keep up the positive influence among young employees

I learned new things

Prep (Former Employee)

ProsBecause they give you opportunities to improve your self within the company

ConsI have no disagreement on this question

Advice to Senior Management.?.

Good company, once upon a time!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Melville, NY

ProsDecent salaries, great people and solid team work. Benefits are decent too. Also, ability to purchase their products at a reduced price.

ConsManagement DOES NOT LISTEN TO EMPLOYEES, causing very poor morale. Not everyone is treated equally. My biggest complaint was bonuses and annual merit increases. Some employees had to wait weeks, sometimes months to receive their bonuses and merit increase. This caused poor morale. Another example which caused poor morale was management telling a group of employees they were wasting time getting together for a pot luck luncheon and put a stop to it. Seriously????

Advice to Senior ManagementLook aroud you, pay attention to employees and treat everyone the same. How can you not notice that several great employees have left the company?

Terrible Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melville, NY

Pros- Exciting industry with great growth.

Cons- Does not value its employees, sets them up to fail with absolutely no training, poor compensation, zero retention strategy, and no regard for organizational health
    - Company does not "Walk the 'organic' Walk", we don't even recycle!
    - Senior Management is extremely inaccessible, communication is severely lacking
    - No Visionary Leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are not happy, recognize and address it. HC has so much potential...

Worked for Hain Celestial? Contribute to the Community!