Hain Celestial Reviews

Irwin D. Simon

1. Regulatory

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Azusa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Azusa, CA

I worked at Hain Celestial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay a bit more than their competition.

Cons

They use alot of temporary employees and keep them on for five years before hiring them

Advice to Management

Better structure needed to make product life cycle more efficient.

Awesome place to work, until they stab you in the back

Current Employee - Key Account Manager
    Current Employee - Key Account Manager

I have been working at Hain Celestial

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, training was OK. I worked from home, so that was a great perk.

Cons

I worked for this company for a few years and would have described myself as a company man. I loved working for this company, until they decided to lay off their entire outside sales force which I was a part of. For the past 5+ years the hain direct sales force hit record sales, hit bonus goals for the past 3 years, and then they sold us down the river to a brokerage company. Days after getting laid off, Simon announced the purchase of a 25$million company based in canada. I lost my job, along with 70 other people, some of which had been here for 25+ years when the company was formed. My advice is to enjoy this job while it last, because even though you may be the best sales team in the natural channel, you can still be sold down the river to make profits look better.

Advice to Management

Trust in you employees. They are the heart and soul of your company. you must remember that you have the ability to buy $25million companies simply because your employees do such a good job. With the layoff of the Hain direct sales team and moving to a brokerage system, you have lost the people that believed in your brand the most. With that, you lost your competitive edge.

Underwhelming

Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Lake Success, NY

I worked at Hain Celestial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Value growth for the stock holders

Cons

Irregular and seemingly arbitrary bonus payments, inconsistent messaging to employees, no learning and development programs

Advice to Management

Focus on the employees, get better at transition following M&A.

Don't work for this company

I have been working at Hain Celestial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good product. Company is on the leading edge of natural growth. Benefits aren't bad. Some room for advancement depending on what you work on.

Cons

Company does not live up to its word. Bonuses made and told you made bonus and then they pay extremely late or not at all. Offer letters are a joke. Talk of bonus potential and stock options and they don't deliver on any. The term discretionary is used often. this despite the fact that company growth has been double digits for past couple of years. If they hedge now - what is going to happen when sales do soften. 401k match is paid yearly and again, that is discretionary.

Advice to Management

Take care of those that work for you.

Treated unfairly as a employee as an employee of BluePrint

I worked at Hain Celestial

Pros

health, dental, insurance, 401k, bonuses

Cons

office culture, company values, do not practice what they preach

7. Underpaid with fringe enefits

Former Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Boulder, CO

I worked at Hain Celestial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in customer relations. Fundamentally, this meant first-line consumer contact for hundreds of products: everything from the storied tea to cosmetics. I love talking to people and have a passion for customer service, meaning this was the perfect place for me. Since most consumers love the products, about 80% of the calls were actually compliments! Happy clients are always a big plus anywhere. Discounts on those yummy products was also a plus. Discounts on those yummy products was also nice.

Cons

Given the mantra from upper-ups that customer relations was "literally the most important department after production" (evidenced by the absurd number of products we were charged with representing—I conducted many a long "consultation" with people about facial cleansers with nothing more than a company script in front of me), it was ever the mystery that we were some of the lowest paid (hourly, with a steady rotation of temps). Having moved on to become a business owner and employer myself, I've learned that happy employees mean happy customer contact, thus better and more business.

Advice to Management

One of two things should be addressed: be honest with your folks about what they're there for and pay them accordingly.

Toxic culture

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lake Success, NY

I have been working at Hain Celestial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Get to work on a variety of products. Good for young employees to get experience in multiple areas and move on.

Cons

Friends and family of CEO are showed favoritism. Poor behavior is rewarded. Poor management style by all. Good, talented people are kept down and not appreciated - eventually leaving. This place is ripe for a major recall. No collaboration within departments or cross functionally. Do not promote learning or growing.

Advice to Management

Care about good employees or they will leave.

DISFUNCTION, LIES, AND A LACK OF INTEGRITY

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Hain Celestial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Products on trend for now

Cons

I left my previous organization after nearly a decade of work for Hain Celestial. What a mistake! As a person who was always a strong achiever and performer and rose rapidly throughout my career, Hain Celestial proved to be a disaster.

You can't say I wasn't warned. I read the same reviews you are reviewing and chalked it up to sour grapes and always believed I could "rise above" whatever the situation may be. Read not just mine, but many others of the middle management of past Hain employees. It's very telling...

Here's the reality for you as a candidate. While ALL jobs and companies have their flaws, what makes Hain's especially disturbing is the blatant lying and lack of integrity. Examples are as follows...

Being promised to get stock options during my interview process. Asked for it in writing and was told they don't put that in writing. Six months later when the year ended I asked for them and was told it was not going to happen.

Being allowed to penetrate my account. Three months into my new job and I hadn't made a call on my customer. Furthermore when I discussed this with my boss that the broker was not letting me into my account that I had called on for the last ten years, my boss made excuses for the broker and failed to stand up for me. As time went on, he essentially ignored my ten years of experience with the account and made his own rules and cut me out of the customer altogether. I guess I forgot what the hell I was doing...

Told I was the "face of the organization" to my customer and my broker partner. In the meantime I had my boss from day one entertaining an unprofessional relationship with the broker partner that MAY have had ethical questions to it. I won't discuss that further...

In addition, a quid pro quo if you will of giving the broker favorable feedback to management, in spite of me in writing questioning the numerous shortfalls, in exchange for a recommendation to the CEO for a promotion. Note the CEO was in alliance with this broker president because of a previous snack brand bought by the company.

Let me add some icing and cherries on top of this mess.

Antiquated systems. A lack of process altogether even on simple things like forecasting of business and new items.

Trade planning that started and stopped every thirteen weeks. Try explaining to a customer that your live accrual just disappeared and doesn't "carry over."

Bonuses that come late if at all. I made my last quarter bonus before I left but Hain conveniently fell back on the "lack of a written policy." In other words, it's 100% discretionary. I have the screen shots as proof. Too expensive to pursue a lawyer for what it's worth. Hain knows this too...you've been warned.

Benefits that are outrageously expensive and based on how much money you earn. You earn more...you pay more. Never seen this before in my life...

All emails disappear after 120 days. Can't catch them in a lie if the truth is gone...

Expense checks that you nearly have to come to blows with someone to get paid back...and they float the money for 60 days. Hope you don't run up big expenses!

How about my company phone? An iPhone 4. Felt like a cinder block in my pocket. Circa 2007.

A marketing team that is weak and late to the game with respect to innovation. Hain's idea of innovation is to buy innovative companies, lay everyone off, and suck the life out of their investment. But when you continue to play in the sandbox of smaller, more nimble companies, you get lapped time and time again on the innovation front.

And then as these categories begin to mature which after 25 years in organics/natural space some of them are...the company is at a disadvantage because they mainly co-pack their products. Thus, as the customer base ratchets up their respective Store Brand portfolios, Hain remains on the outside looking in, ultimately unable to compete. I bet you love being in sales now.

At the end of the day I landed on my feet. The cream always rises to the top. It inconvenienced my life a bit and probably just hurt my ego more than anything.

Advice to Management

I met the CEO. He isn't listening and neither were my bosses. Bad attitude? Who would have a good one in this situation? I wish I could tell you I embellished this...problem is I didn't.

Don't make the mistake I did. Stay away...far away!

Temp-to hire Consumer Relations

Former Employee - Consumer Relations Representative in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Consumer Relations Representative in Boulder, CO

I worked at Hain Celestial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People. Hain-Celestial is the leader in the natural and organic food industry. Great company to work for, lots to learn and know.

Cons

This company is a great one to work for but very hard to get on permanently as a temp. Most employees are hired for 9 months out of the year, laid off for three and hired back again perpetually, but those are production workers. As a Customer Service Rep., I was informed that if I was there for a year they would either have to hire me or let me go. During my 11 and a half months at this job, 4 other temps had come and gone before they had been there 6 months. I was the only one left and hopeful. But, I was let go for no reason 2 days before my birthday. :-(

Advice to Management

What is the most sustainable solution?

say no to this place

I worked at Hain Celestial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any. It may look kind of good on your resume if you're in the natural grocery space, but everyone in the industry knows this is where great products and brands are going to die.

Cons

poorly managed. extremely cumbersome corporate processes. upper management is greedy, full of secret agenda and office politics.There is always a sense of discontent and detachment. Creative, driven, entrepreneurial personality will not thrive here.

Advice to Management

look around, your employees are not happy