Hair Cuttery

Updated January 28, 2015
2.8

Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Pros
  • They have plenty of walk in clients (in 5 reviews)

• Benefits-Great Commission rates-great team environment-encouraging leaders-free education (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You half to do between 17 to 20 haircuts a day to make any money at all (in 6 reviews)

• No matter how long you work there you will always be at minimum wage unless you make commission (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I like it

Current Employee - Stylist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Stylist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Great place to build a clientel

Cons

Poor upper management or lack there of including salons with a manager. They only care about numbers and percentages.

Don't lie to and mislead people.

Great company to start out with

I worked at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Week to week commission can earn 50, 47, or 45

Cons

Some teams are gossipy

Don't be so hypocritical with staff

You can make as much as you want, if you wanna sell ice to Eskimos.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Palm City, FL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Palm City, FL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can really make a great paycheck, if you hustle and work for it. You will always have a check no matter if your salon is busy or not. You can build a clientele from nothing there. I loved having extra education classes. I traveled where ever they were, the instructor was awesome! I took all I could.

Cons

I did not like to sacrifice my quality in lieu of quantity. I did not like that retail sells were combined with repeat requested rate for promotion. I obtained a high repeat request rate fast. My retail sells could never meet the standards. Just because an item is a promotion, not EVERY client needed the promotion product. If I sold a product to a client who did not need that product, they may never trust me again with a product recommendation.

I never got promoted in pay rate even though I was highly requested. I was going to have to be sent back to training if I did not get my retail to the high standard they requested. Thankfully I had an understanding manager that worked with me and kept the higher management off my back. On that note, that meant I could not set appointments. I had a lot of clients that desperately wanted to make an appointment and I had a hard time telling then why they could not. I felt like I had to hide to not get caught in letting my clients know when I was available for them to come in.

One last thing, there was some ongoing fear for getting fired, for anything. I got told several times what I could get fired for. I felt that was trickled down from upper management and then it flooded the floors of the salon.

I feel management should always spend more time in the salon to view reality. Number and figures are made in a boardroom and forget that there is a real world setting for stylists. All I felt was numbers and numbers and numbers being pounded into my brain and felt good customer service should be the main objective. If you give good service, they will come back and trust the stylists even more than just feeling like a number.

Pretty decent

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hourly or commission pay, good hours, stay busy

Cons

depends on the soon but many have very young, inexperienced stylists and have lots of turn over

Enjoyable

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Suffolk, VA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Suffolk, VA

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy money, always busy, good compensation, large retail selection

Cons

training, growth as a stylist, no real management

make sure your policies are enforced equally by all management.

Slave labor

Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Got much better at cutting and clipper cutting being that's basically all that comes in.

Cons

Not enough customers with loyalty come in. No appointments. We r the receptionist, stylist, and clean up crew. Impossible to reach commission requirements and retail sales. Clients belong to Haircuttery. Harassed to sell retail. Treated like a slave/ factory worker rather than an artist/stylist.

Lower commission requirements. Hire clean up crew. Treat ur stylists like people and not just numbers.

Provided excellent customer service in a diverse environment.

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Germantown, MD

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being giving the opportunity to help people to make a difference in their lives, while Multitasking to achieve salon expectations while performing salon services to clients.

Cons

The inconsistency in work flow at times.

Providing employees with a base pay in addition to commission because there are times that you’re at work all day and you’re not being compensated for your time.

Salon leader

Current Employee - Salon Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Salon Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free classes, lots of nice customers
    Great coworkers.

Cons

Upper management has no clue everyone plays by there own rules! No communication with stylist no acknowledgement to stylist.

Work as a team and follow through with rules. Love and get to know your stylist.

Disappointment

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Saugus, MA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Saugus, MA

I worked at Hair Cuttery

Pros

It's true that they pay you hourly or commission, depending on your sales revenue, which is a great advantages for this type of business, but this is totally suppressed but all the cons.

Cons

They treat Stylists as a slave, there are just too many nonsense rules, like you can't have a cup of coffee on your station, can't use the phone at all, not even in the break room. Really? Coming from a business that is based on social interaction and needs to use social media to be successful? We can't use our phone internet to browse the social media while at work, how can we advertise our BUSINESS or communicate with our clients? There is a huge inconsistency in business, some days are busy but most of the time it was very slow. They offer the minimum wage for hourly pay, which was NOT discussed with me prior to hiring, they offer bogus perks, not enough good classes, the best classes were never offered in my location. They basically lie, they told me I was going to be "on call" but I was on the schedule full time and could not argue with hours. The hours are ridiculous, they close at 9 pm but there is no business after 8 pm ever. They expect you to do the heavy duty cleaning when they could just hire a cleaning crew once or twice a week, we don't get paid enough to do all that cleaning. The only day I called in sick, I found out that my schedule had been changed without any notice and that I was supposed to find a replacement, when I had a huge migraine, that's when I quit. One more thing, they used to change my schedule all the time without asking me or telling me in advance and Tuesday was my mandatory day to close, since it was dead and nobody else wanted to work that day.

Change some of those useless rules, allow the stylists to have a little more freedom. I know that unfortunately most stylists are a bit rough and uneducated but in this case do not hire them or if they abuse, they have to go, but cutting everybody else's freedom is not the good way to approach it. Raise the minimum wage, are you kidding me? This is not MD or BK where you can just hire any jack from the street with no qualification and train them to flip burgers, you need a certain type of professional with a license who had to go to school, invest time and money on an education and a lot of training to get there. They don't want to work FOR you, they want to work WITH you. Offer all the perks you mention, not just a little bit, like more classes and raise the commission to 50% at least. Pay closer attention to your store managers, some of them do not want to do the work right and blame the stylists.

Good constant flow of customers. Place to grow and establish a name.

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good client flow, good hours, opportunity for bonuses, good starter salon. Free education.

Cons

You have to work one weekend day. You have to sell a minimum amount of retail to keep your job. You have to charge a lot extra for long hair charges and its difficult to explain to customers. Can only wear black and white.

Less retail requirements, adjustable schedules. Add more color to the dress code, people look at their stylist for fashion advice.