Hair Cuttery

Updated December 12, 2014
2.7

Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Pros
  • They have plenty of walk in clients (in 5 reviews)

• Benefits-Great Commission rates-great team environment-encouraging leaders-free education (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You half to do between 17 to 20 haircuts a day to make any money at all (in 6 reviews)

• No matter how long you work there you will always be at minimum wage unless you make commission (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Provided excellent customer service in a diverse environment.

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Germantown, MD

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being giving the opportunity to help people to make a difference in their lives, while Multitasking to achieve salon expectations while performing salon services to clients.

Cons

The inconsistency in work flow at times.

Providing employees with a base pay in addition to commission because there are times that you’re at work all day and you’re not being compensated for your time.

Good constant flow of customers. Place to grow and establish a name.

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good client flow, good hours, opportunity for bonuses, good starter salon. Free education.

Cons

You have to work one weekend day. You have to sell a minimum amount of retail to keep your job. You have to charge a lot extra for long hair charges and its difficult to explain to customers. Can only wear black and white.

Less retail requirements, adjustable schedules. Add more color to the dress code, people look at their stylist for fashion advice.

Great coworkers, meet lots of great clients. No money in it though

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love my coworkers , I love my management team an it's a great place to learn almost everything ! Great continuing education and fabulous wow and inspiration events to keep your creative eye in tact

Cons

No money. Almost impossible to reach 50% commission. No more bonuses for anything. No retail, no service bonus. The company as a whole is slowing down yet increasing our goals.

Bring back the old commission scale. Give us back our retail bonuses.

Not a bad first job out of beauty school

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Bel Air, MD
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Bel Air, MD

I worked at Hair Cuttery part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer a lot of educational classes, and you can make pretty good money of you are good at up selling.

Cons

It is difficult to get ahead and they don't seem willing to change or facilitate change to adapt to the local climate.

the large turn over has a lot to do with the attitudes from some of the dinosaurs towards the new staff, sometimes it is better to get rid of the old wood in order to expand!

So so

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Guaranteed pay. Which is not enough.

Cons

Not enough walk in clientele to meet commission quickly and consistently. Not allowed to have a appt book unless your specifically selected.

Treat employees fairly and equally. Don't bend company rules only for certain employees.

Don't do it.

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

I had seniority and so was given a lot of leeway and extra perks. For new people coming in, not so much.

Cons

Constantly changing pay scale or benefits. Opening new stores just a few miles apart which always costs the original stores clients. My income has steadily decreased with every year, and they continue to find ways to make it harder to make any money

HORRIBLE PAY & BENIFITS

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

I have met some wonderful customers that will be lifelong friends.

Cons

This company is not about the people only about putting money in the owners pocket. Is the owner even aware that a lot of his staff are receiving Medicaid and food stamps ? As the years go by your pay is supposed to go up not down.

Take care of your people and they will take care of you. Stop robbing us blind. You have made it impossible for us to receive a decent retail check or bonuses. These are things that we have worked hard for and deserve. We are not your slaves so stop giving us crumbs.

Easy to build clientele.

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Hair Cuttery was the fellow employees. It was like working with family. If I ever needed help with anything they were always there. They worked around my schedule, and gave me the hours that I needed.

Cons

I didn't like the pay scale. In order to make a good check you had to be constantly doing colors, or 13 cuts per day. I left feeling like a robot at the end of the day. They took away walk in retail commission, which hurt us in the end. We take the time to advise the client on what product is right, and sometimes missed out on taking a client. That's money out of our pockets.

great place for experience.

Former Employee - Management and Stylist in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Management and Stylist in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great classes. great for learning and excellent advancement

Cons

nonei have no cons at the time, just wokring weekends and nights

i have no advice to managemnet at this time.

Loved my coworkers, disliked the company

Former Employee - Stylist- Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Stylist- Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got lucky with an amazing manager and co workers. I also liked that there was PTO and you can have a flexible schedule. They also do allow you to make more that a base pay with tips and commission.

Cons

I didn't like the fact that I was scammed by previous management, although when I brought this up to new management they fixed the problem. I also don't like that they dont take much interest and initiative to find new employees. Because they were so short staffed i had two work two weeks in a row at one point with no days off.

Make a plan and stick to it. Develop contests and be role models to your employees.