Hair Cuttery Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
2.8

Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Pros
  • They have plenty of walk in clients (in 5 reviews)

• Benefits-Great Commission rates-great team environment-encouraging leaders-free education (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to have a LOT of color clients to make money here, but the company is great over all and its a great place to start out of school (in 5 reviews)

• No matter how long you work there you will always be at minimum wage unless you make commission (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Easy to build clientele.

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Hair Cuttery was the fellow employees. It was like working with family. If I ever needed help with anything they were always there. They worked around my schedule, and gave me the hours that I needed.

Cons

I didn't like the pay scale. In order to make a good check you had to be constantly doing colors, or 13 cuts per day. I left feeling like a robot at the end of the day. They took away walk in retail commission, which hurt us in the end. We take the time to advise the client on what product is right, and sometimes missed out on taking a client. That's money out of our pockets.

great place for experience.

Former Employee - Management and Stylist in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Management and Stylist in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great classes. great for learning and excellent advancement

Cons

nonei have no cons at the time, just wokring weekends and nights

i have no advice to managemnet at this time.

Loved my coworkers, disliked the company

Former Employee - Stylist- Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Stylist- Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got lucky with an amazing manager and co workers. I also liked that there was PTO and you can have a flexible schedule. They also do allow you to make more that a base pay with tips and commission.

Cons

I didn't like the fact that I was scammed by previous management, although when I brought this up to new management they fixed the problem. I also don't like that they dont take much interest and initiative to find new employees. Because they were so short staffed i had two work two weeks in a row at one point with no days off.

Make a plan and stick to it. Develop contests and be role models to your employees.

popularity contest

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Cranston, RI

I worked at Hair Cuttery part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

customers are great to meet

Cons

open weekends, late night hours

pay more attention to your individual salons

They don't pay me enough for this... Ish.

Current Employee - Receptionist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm a receptionist so some of these are observed.
    It's a people oriented job!
    Discounts on hair products and services!
    If you get a busy salon you can get a lot of experience for new clients!
    You can make a few good friends and connection with some of your clients and coworkers!
    You can do you hair during business hours! Hang out with your own clients under the dryer! (sarcasm)

Cons

Minimum wage with tips unless you make a service quota. As a receptionist, that means you make minimum wage period.
    This quota makes the salon completely cutthroat, you either have a clique or a partner in crime or you go it alone.
    Again quota sparks deep drama, nobody is excluded especially the receptionists.
    No team effort.
    I have seen people steal tips off stations, and management has done nothing.
    No consequences for discrimination, stylists are able to refuse certain clients or conveniently wander off
    Management can be hands off, and will ignore issues as long as salon goals are met.

Pay your stylists a decent base wage to eliminate workplace drama.
    Since receptionists don't receive tips, pay us a little more than minimum.
    Introduce consequences for stylists and managers that condone or allow pick and choosing stylists
    Allow people to make appointments ahead of time with anyone!

Slave shop

Current Employee - Stylist in Parkville, MD
    Current Employee - Stylist in Parkville, MD

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free ongoing training. You will make min. Wage.

Cons

The more you do, the more they expect. It is all about what you make for hc nothing about you. They push you to sell retail and if you don't sell enough you only earn 45 percent of total service amount . Hair Cuttery is a slave shop. Work harder get less pay.

Have feeling. We are human beings.Say nice job once in a while. You want to offer a smile back guarantee. The stylist need a reason to smile . Afterall it is the stylist that make the clients smile. Pay us make us smile. Stop cutting our pay. And demanding more.

adapt schedule changing

Current Employee - Hairstylist in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Hairstylist in Reston, VA

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Schedule is flexible, meet a lots of different kind of people

Cons

you have to set your goal and make it happen

Nothing you do is good enough.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice walk in clientele. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Management up to the district manager have no idea how to run a shop. They treat their employees like slaves. They can care less how good of a stylist you are, just as long as you sell retail. You must sell $80 a week to keep them off your back. If you meet the standard, the standards change. If you do your best then your best isn't good enough. You have to keep jumping through hoops. Nothing is consistent. I recall going to cosmetology school to do hair not sell products. If I wanted to be a pushy salesman I would be working selling cars. If the retail is such a problem then do away with it! It shouldn't be mandatory to sell products. Let's face it, clients are paying $17 for a cut, most will not buy a product that costs more than their hair!! I understand educating your clients but the fact that your job is in jeopardy if you do not sell is just ludicrous!!

Learn how to keep your stylist happy. Do not threaten their job over retail. Learn how to do the order so we have the things we need to do our job properly. Worry about keeping employees and clients happy not the retail numbers.

Pure Hell!

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like micro management this is the salon for you.

Cons

You half to do between 17 to 20 haircuts a day to make any money at all. You have to sell at least 80 dollars in retail and 800 in sales every week or you will not get 50% commission. If you don't make this you get 47% of your sales minus taxes. Your schedule could change on a dime from day to day with no warning. You can never talk about religion or politics you will get written up.

Take classes in Management. Don't party with your staff. Never Never call in sick then post pics of you partying at the BEACH on facebook.

This company gave workers very little pay and treated workers unfairly

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are a manager or district manager, you will have complete control of every worker

Cons

I worked almost six months, and after one month my manager didn't allow me to sign in(my shift is from 9-5 or 5-9) until I received my first customer. She tried to pay only 45% of my total service fees. My schedule was 40 hours a week, but some weeks I made less than the minimum wage per hour. Some slow weeks, my manager tried to edit my hours from 40 to 32 hours and then payed only 45% commission. My manager cheated me out of 8x$7.25 a week. For several weeks, more than 10 weeks, I received less than the minimum wage. My manager and the district manager edited my work hours on the computer so that they could pay me less. When I confronted my manager, she told me that the district manager didn't want to pay me my proper wage because if they paid more than 45% commission(minimum wage times hour is more than the commission) they have to pay the workers from the store budget. My district manager and my store manager has worked for many years for this company and so they know the ways to cheat the workers out of their pay. Many hair cutteries around area also cheat workers out of pay and are paying illegal salaries. I'm glad that I no longer work for this company.

Don't partake in illegal activities.

Hair Cuttery Photos