Hair Cuttery

Updated March 1, 2015
2.7

Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Pros
  • They have plenty of walk in clients (in 5 reviews)

• Benefits-Great Commission rates-great team environment-encouraging leaders-free education (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You half to do between 17 to 20 haircuts a day to make any money at all (in 6 reviews)

• No matter how long you work there you will always be at minimum wage unless you make commission (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Master stylist

Former Employee - Master Stylist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Master Stylist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Make good money. Company paid vacation to cancun if you made goals. Walk in clients and still gets paid if it's slow.

Cons

Too many goals to reach. Salon leader and assistant dalon leader were very competitive with stylists. Poor very very poor management. 4 longtine stylists quit within 3 months because of poor management. Too much drama and gossip

Need to listen to stylists. Do not allow managers or assistants make appointments. They built up their book and quit right when reach enough clients.

Enjoyed it at first, after 9yrs im miserable.

Current Employee - Master Stylist
    Current Employee - Master Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Good place to start out as a new stylist.
    Salon was busy in my beginning years.
    When we were busy it was easy to build a clientele.
    Love Redken color
    Free education
    Love my manager... been in the business for forever & he knows his stuff

Cons

Worked hard to earn Master Stylist position & 50% commission, then they changed the pay and now everyone is at a flat rate of 45% commission with the opportunity to make more.... only if you sell a certain amount of retail but.....
    Will only pay u a retail commission if u sell over a rediculious amount of retail.
    Forces you to come in on your time off (after business hours) 4 times a year to do a deep cleaning of the salon, but dont pay you anything for it.
    Upper management is all about numbers... they dont care about the stylists as people, no matter what they say.
    Asst manager talks to the stylist like crap & down grades them, been brought up to upper management and nothing gets done.
    Sometimes run out of supplies & if you need a product for a service & the salon is over budget, then us stylist have to rebook the client for another time when we will have the product. Which means loss of income for the stylist.
     Last client can walk in 1 minute before closing time & we have to service them no matter the service (other than chemicals). No quality of life for us when you have a family & get home an hour after salon closing time.

The list could seriously go on and on....

We know you visit the salons on occassion, but you would understand our frustrations as stylists with alot of our problems if you actually spent more time in the salon talking with the stylists & asking them questions. Not just speaking with management.

Nightmare.

I worked at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Good place to a start out. Classes are helpful. Pay is decent IF you can make it above comission.

Cons

The boss' s are rude and ignorant towards their employees. You're most likely going to be working yourself to death to make minimum wage. Not worth the stress.

You can make as much as you want, if you wanna sell ice to Eskimos.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Palm City, FL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Palm City, FL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can really make a great paycheck, if you hustle and work for it. You will always have a check no matter if your salon is busy or not. You can build a clientele from nothing there. I loved having extra education classes. I traveled where ever they were, the instructor was awesome! I took all I could.

Cons

I did not like to sacrifice my quality in lieu of quantity. I did not like that retail sells were combined with repeat requested rate for promotion. I obtained a high repeat request rate fast. My retail sells could never meet the standards. Just because an item is a promotion, not EVERY client needed the promotion product. If I sold a product to a client who did not need that product, they may never trust me again with a product recommendation.

I never got promoted in pay rate even though I was highly requested. I was going to have to be sent back to training if I did not get my retail to the high standard they requested. Thankfully I had an understanding manager that worked with me and kept the higher management off my back. On that note, that meant I could not set appointments. I had a lot of clients that desperately wanted to make an appointment and I had a hard time telling then why they could not. I felt like I had to hide to not get caught in letting my clients know when I was available for them to come in.

One last thing, there was some ongoing fear for getting fired, for anything. I got told several times what I could get fired for. I felt that was trickled down from upper management and then it flooded the floors of the salon.

I feel management should always spend more time in the salon to view reality. Number and figures are made in a boardroom and forget that there is a real world setting for stylists. All I felt was numbers and numbers and numbers being pounded into my brain and felt good customer service should be the main objective. If you give good service, they will come back and trust the stylists even more than just feeling like a number.

I like it

Current Employee - Stylist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Stylist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Great place to build a clientel

Cons

Poor upper management or lack there of including salons with a manager. They only care about numbers and percentages.

Don't lie to and mislead people.

Great company to start out with

I worked at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Week to week commission can earn 50, 47, or 45

Cons

Some teams are gossipy

Don't be so hypocritical with staff

Just no

Current Employee - Stylist in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Stylist in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

You stay busy (usually) and tips are alright

Cons

Working off the clock, high school environment, unprofessional environment

Pretty decent

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hourly or commission pay, good hours, stay busy

Cons

depends on the soon but many have very young, inexperienced stylists and have lots of turn over

stylist

I worked at Hair Cuttery part-time (more than a year)

Pros

meet some nice girls, but no one ever stayed

Cons

make you go to meetings every month without pay. Push you to sell retail or you never get a raise

Enjoyable

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Suffolk, VA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Suffolk, VA

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy money, always busy, good compensation, large retail selection

Cons

training, growth as a stylist, no real management

make sure your policies are enforced equally by all management.