Hair Cuttery Reviews

96 reviews filtered by
2.6
Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Pros
  • They have plenty of walk in clients (in 5 reviews)

• Benefits-Great Commission rates-great team environment-encouraging leaders-free education (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You half to do between 17 to 20 haircuts a day to make any money at all (in 6 reviews)

• No matter how long you work there you will always be at minimum wage unless you make commission (in 3 reviews)

1. Pretty good

Former Employee - Salon Manager in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Good intro to cosmetology field

Cons

Too corporate, not enough pay

Stop taking commissions away

2. Hair Cuttery

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Phila, PA

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers were basically my family, we always enjoyed doing our jobs and the customers were great.

Cons

Location wasn't that busy, upper management was not that great/supportive. Pay, which was commission only

3. There is both good and bad, no two are the same.

Current Employee - Master Stylist, Keyholder in Midwest, WY
    Current Employee - Master Stylist, Keyholder in Midwest, WY

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1: for the last 5.5 years I've been with the company, they provided FREE insurance for employees that worked at least 30 hours per week
    2: they offer a 401k, and will match 5%. They also offer PTO, which accrues as you put in hours.
    3: They provide as much free education as you can take.
    4: they provide all products for you to use, and offer a decent variety of professional brands to choose from (redken, bed head, it's a 10, sexy hair, paul mitchell, matrix, cibu) without being overwhelming.
    5: the job basically comes with a "built-in" clientele because they primarily serve walk-in business. There is an opportunity to become a master stylist if you can have a high enough request rate.
    6: it is a GREAT place to work to gain experience, and you will be compensated for your time if the salon is slow
    7. There is a pretty specific price menu, and stylists are expected to quote the price of the service before it begins. This includes small additional charges for a flat iron finish or long hair, protecting the stylist from not being compensated for his/her time and effort.

* The particular salon where I work has a great atmosphere, the management is very understanding and encouraging. From what I have heard, if they had gone "by the book" with me when I first started, I would have been let go in the first 90 days because I was not making enough money. Instead, my management decided to go with her gut feeling, because she could see potential. I built up my clientele and was promoted to master stylist after 3.5 years. Obviously, from other reviews I've read, not all salon leaders are so wonderful, and maybe it's just due to a personality conflict. I love mine. *

Cons

1. The pay scale flexes from week to week based on whether or not you meet your goals (selling retail, bringing in a high $ amount in service sales, having high productivity). You will receive 45-50% commission based on these numbers. It's hard to predict from week to week.
    2. My personal opinion is that redken color gels (the only line of permanent color used in the company) is inferior to several others I've used. The reds are not vibrant enough, and they fade too fast. The neutrals and ash tones seem to me to have too much green pigment, and don't look natural at all.
    3. You may be forced to work certain holidays that the salon is open, such as memorial day, labor day, 4th of July, Christmas eve and new year's eve.
    4. At least in my area, they do not hire receptionists, so there are more errors made in the appointment book than are acceptable, and during busy times, you may have to leave your client several times to answer the phone or sign a client in.
    4. Sometimes it feels defeating when you are reminded constantly of your goals and not hitting them. there is nothing wrong with the basic principle of this tracking and coaching, but when i truly feel good about the services i've provided and the satisfaction of your customers, i tend to value that feeling more than making all of the goals the company set. Don't get me wrong, I like my paychecks much better when that happens, but because I'm not in it to get rich, and I'm not very business-minded, i actually hate this part of my job. I want my customers to trust me, and when I offer them a service, and they ask new if I think they need it, I will absolutely tell them my honest opinion. Sometimes, that means I make less money than I could, but I will not compromise my integrity for a bigger paycheck. Oh well.
    5. If you work at a high-performing salon, it is nearly impossible to surpass the goals that the company sets in order to win big contests, because the goals are always based on how the salon performed the previous year. I hate feeling that giving it my all is never going to be good enough because it's all about numbers.

* I get most of what I need from this job: personal satisfaction from providing service to others and some basic benefits that are sometimes hard to come by in this industry. But, unless I want to go into education, climb the ladder in management or compromise my ideals to sell more, I'm probably almost tapped out of potential within the company. I would not be able to live comfortably without the income of my husband on what I make here. But these stylists are like family to me now, and I have learned and grown exponentially from this experience, so I would still recommend this company to others. *

The goals, contests, and other incentives offered by the company seem to only motivate about 25% of employees. For others, including myself, it is frustrating to be reduced to a bunch of numbers on a daily, weekly, bi-weekly, and quarterly basis. Where is the incentive for quality over quantity, from within the company? I feel like I am one of the many stylists that improves hair cuttery's reputation to the public just by giving my all to each customer and providing WOW service. When we used to have secret shoppers, we'd get a report and maybe a congratulatory card. That's nice, but I'd rather win a contest based on customer satisfaction than how much money I brought in.

5. Shady company for new stylists

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Deltona, FL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Deltona, FL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great to build confidence straight out of school.

Cons

Pretty much a slave for companies agenda. Working off the clock and don't get paid mileage for regular bank trips. Poor products and terrible classes.

Monitor scheduling, managers take advantage of lower emoloyees. Lots of working off the clock.

6. Master stylist

Former Employee - Master Stylist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Master Stylist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Make good money. Company paid vacation to cancun if you made goals. Walk in clients and still gets paid if it's slow.

Cons

Too many goals to reach. Salon leader and assistant dalon leader were very competitive with stylists. Poor very very poor management. 4 longtine stylists quit within 3 months because of poor management. Too much drama and gossip

Need to listen to stylists. Do not allow managers or assistants make appointments. They built up their book and quit right when reach enough clients.

7. Very poor management

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Hanover, PA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Hanover, PA

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

You can make good money and u get bonus's every quarter if u hit ur quota

Cons

The stylists are treated poorly there's tons of drama . You don't get paid for meetings or clean sweeps and u have to work holidays even if it's ur usual day off. And they higher there goals to make commission all the time or u only get 45%

My manger is two faced she talks behind ur back and then is nice to your face! And she plays favorites everyone that is her bff gets special treatment. And when it's busy she leaves to get food or go shopping or sits I the break room for hours while there r tons of people waiting. And as soon as the district leader or the big guys are around she puts on a front. There's been multiple occasions where she has embarrassed me and made me feel disrespected. U hope karma bites Her in the but bc she's a horrible manager

8. Enjoyed it at first, after 9yrs im miserable.

Current Employee - Master Stylist
    Current Employee - Master Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Good place to start out as a new stylist.
    Salon was busy in my beginning years.
    When we were busy it was easy to build a clientele.
    Love Redken color
    Free education
    Love my manager... been in the business for forever & he knows his stuff

Cons

Worked hard to earn Master Stylist position & 50% commission, then they changed the pay and now everyone is at a flat rate of 45% commission with the opportunity to make more.... only if you sell a certain amount of retail but.....
    Will only pay u a retail commission if u sell over a rediculious amount of retail.
    Forces you to come in on your time off (after business hours) 4 times a year to do a deep cleaning of the salon, but dont pay you anything for it.
    Upper management is all about numbers... they dont care about the stylists as people, no matter what they say.
    Asst manager talks to the stylist like crap & down grades them, been brought up to upper management and nothing gets done.
    Sometimes run out of supplies & if you need a product for a service & the salon is over budget, then us stylist have to rebook the client for another time when we will have the product. Which means loss of income for the stylist.
     Last client can walk in 1 minute before closing time & we have to service them no matter the service (other than chemicals). No quality of life for us when you have a family & get home an hour after salon closing time.

The list could seriously go on and on....

We know you visit the salons on occassion, but you would understand our frustrations as stylists with alot of our problems if you actually spent more time in the salon talking with the stylists & asking them questions. Not just speaking with management.

9. Nightmare.

I worked at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Good place to a start out. Classes are helpful. Pay is decent IF you can make it above comission.

Cons

The boss' s are rude and ignorant towards their employees. You're most likely going to be working yourself to death to make minimum wage. Not worth the stress.

10. Just no

Current Employee - Stylist in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Stylist in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

You stay busy (usually) and tips are alright

Cons

Working off the clock, high school environment, unprofessional environment

You can make as much as you want, if you wanna sell ice to Eskimos.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Palm City, FL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Palm City, FL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can really make a great paycheck, if you hustle and work for it. You will always have a check no matter if your salon is busy or not. You can build a clientele from nothing there. I loved having extra education classes. I traveled where ever they were, the instructor was awesome! I took all I could.

Cons

I did not like to sacrifice my quality in lieu of quantity. I did not like that retail sells were combined with repeat requested rate for promotion. I obtained a high repeat request rate fast. My retail sells could never meet the standards. Just because an item is a promotion, not EVERY client needed the promotion product. If I sold a product to a client who did not need that product, they may never trust me again with a product recommendation.

I never got promoted in pay rate even though I was highly requested. I was going to have to be sent back to training if I did not get my retail to the high standard they requested. Thankfully I had an understanding manager that worked with me and kept the higher management off my back. On that note, that meant I could not set appointments. I had a lot of clients that desperately wanted to make an appointment and I had a hard time telling then why they could not. I felt like I had to hide to not get caught in letting my clients know when I was available for them to come in.

One last thing, there was some ongoing fear for getting fired, for anything. I got told several times what I could get fired for. I felt that was trickled down from upper management and then it flooded the floors of the salon.

I feel management should always spend more time in the salon to view reality. Number and figures are made in a boardroom and forget that there is a real world setting for stylists. All I felt was numbers and numbers and numbers being pounded into my brain and felt good customer service should be the main objective. If you give good service, they will come back and trust the stylists even more than just feeling like a number.