Hair Cuttery Reviews

Reset
2.6
Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Pros
  • They have plenty of walk in clients (in 5 reviews)

• Benefits-Great Commission rates-great team environment-encouraging leaders-free education (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No matter how long you work there you will always be at minimum wage unless you make commission (in 3 reviews)

• My schedule was 40 hours a week, but some weeks I made less than the minimum wage per hour (in 4 reviews)

1. one of the better corporations

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Minooka, IL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Minooka, IL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    401k
    Plenty of educational class available
    Easy to move up
    Family oriented

Cons

poor compensation plan
    Have to meet certain goals and nearly unattainable numbers to hit commission (takes years)
    High turnover rate, six month rotation seems to be correct

Advice to Management

Dennis Rather should give more back to his employees... It's discouraging to know that in order to get a $200 taxable bonus, we have to hit $64,000 combined service and btc retail. Where's the real incentive?

Jun 18, 2015Director of Associate Relations

We're delighted to hear that you think that we are one of the better corporations to work for - huge thanks for highlighting our benefits and educational opportunities, we hope that you are taking ... More

Could be better..

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

-constant client flow
    -easy to build clientele
    -minimal insurance
    -education
    -pto

Cons

-lack of education in management positions
    -human resources does not take your issues seriously
    -dl's are poorly tained (as well as salon leaders/asl) and put stylists in uncomfortable conversations with management over issues. Then leave....
    -no followups
    -people company, biggest joke ever (ratner company)
    -if stylists are upset with you they will not book your appointments or book them poorly
    -absolutely no point in discussing problems in the salon. Nothing is ever done properly to fix issues.

Other than that.. hair cuttery pays the bills

Advice to Management

Train your management properly, or eventually you will be sued. -former sl/asl

Could be good place to work

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery

Pros

Can build your clientele fairly easy due to a lot of walk ins

Cons

Company pushes to up sell. the clients for the most part just want a quick haircut. Always short staffed so overworked push staff to work doubles

Jun 3, 2015Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! We love that you are able to build a strong clientele and that your location is getting a lot of walk ins!

We sincerely view our product
    ... More

5. Hair Cuttery

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Sykesville, MD
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Sykesville, MD

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time

Pros

This is a great starting place, but after confidence is built up.. move on.

Cons

The management is non existent. No one is there to cover any problems being customer or financial. The current manager spends her entire time either behind the chair to make a few dollars and then goes and spends it in a local store. There is NO receptionist to greet the customers and when busy they sit for a long time waiting. No,,,one particular person answers the phone,,,it just rings and rings and rings when the salon is busy.

Advice to Management

Hair Cuttery has to get their act together and hire a person with experience. The manager is allowed to hire and that is a huge problem. The background is of who they hire is not checked and a lot of these young girls have drug and alcohol problems and steal from the company.

6. great place

I worked at Hair Cuttery

Pros

good when it's busy, fun

Cons

otherwise, sitting and making no money

Jun 3, 2015Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for sharing that we're a great place! It's great to hear that you had fun while working for Hair Cuttery.

7. Great company to work for especially in leadership

Current Employee - Salon Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Salon Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great bonus checks
    Work in a busy store you will make money

Cons

You have to work hard to make money but once you build a clientele it gets better

Advice to Management

Bring back the award ceremony.

UNION IS OUR ONLY OPTION FOR FAIR PAY/TREATMENT FROM THIS COMPANY.

Current Employee - Master Stylist
    Current Employee - Master Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. I also have some wonderful clients. Good location. A good amount of walk in business.

Cons

Company is greedy/selfish. Stylist are the ones doing all the work and should automatically get 50 percent of pay. Every year we have to watch a movie on why not to join a union. I rather pay union fees to make sure we are automatically getting at least 50 percent and/10-15percent of our retail sales. Salans assistant managers and up are ones getting rewarded .Company policies are making sure we are not getting fair pay/retail checks and bonuses.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what we say. We only get excuses.You try to brainwash us with practiced company answers. Responses posted here from company is a good example.

9. Great company, terrible Leaders

Former Employee - Master Stylist in Palatine, IL
    Former Employee - Master Stylist in Palatine, IL

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free Redken based continuing education. Great pay plan with additional productivity, request and retail bonuses. Nice working environment. Room for advancement: Master Stylist program, leadership, education, recruiting.

Cons

Extremely high expectations from the moment you're hired. Expected to hit minimum target pay rate goals your very first week regardless of client flow or disciplinary action will ensue. District leadership team, education team, and support staff lack professionalism and flexibility. (It wasn't always this way)

Advice to Management

Believe and live your company values. As leaders, you should hold yourselves to a higher standard.

May 6, 2015Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for recommending Hair Cuttery and sharing the pros of working with us! We agree that the free education and pay plan are pretty cool - the free education allows our Stylists to learn the ... More

Disappointed

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is the friends I made while working.

Cons

Leadership, district leaders (what a joke) they only care about the "good" stores.

Advice to Management

Clear out your district leaders and try again. They are a complete joke.

To the director of associate relations

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Phila, PA

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My wonderful clientele ..... I would love to add more to this section

Cons

I have a wonderful clientele which is why I am still here ..I have never been paid for a mandatory meeting if you are referring to the guaranteed minimum wage rate it wouldn't apply to someone with a ROP of over 40 dollars an hour because in a 2 week period the only thing that would happen if I clocked in the meeting hours it would lower my ROP .So please let me know how to get extra money in my paycheck for attending a mandatory meeting . Attending a 6 hour meeting 45 minutes away from home and paying a baby sitter is a hardship ....... You could provide this information over the internet in slide form to make it easier for us .It is not always necessary to bring everyone together. No company is perfect and there will always be employees who are unsatisfied but the stylists are the base of this company without us there would be no company , Most of the reviews on this site are terrible . Happy employees will perform better ,work harder ,and most importantly will not leave . Over the years I have seen many stylists leave and take their clients with them . Listen to the reviews on this site and make things better it will create success. all around ....

Advice to Management

read Cons

RSS Feed </> Embed