Half Price Books

Half Price Books Reviews in Houston, TX

3.6

Half Price Books President and CEO Sharon Anderson Wright
Sharon Anderson Wright

Pros
  • If you want to buy any merchandise, the employee discount is generous (in 10 reviews)

• Great health benefits and 401k, profit sharing (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • As always in retail the pay is low but it''s made up for in benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Many employees stay for 10 plus years, leaving very little room for advancement within the company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun, engaging work place

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Worked in an environment where employees are valued!

Cons

As you'd expect, retail comes with it's share of downsides: the occasional grouchy customer or difficulty in obtaining holiday time. These were minor inconveniences. My experience at Half Price was good!

It's alright

Former Employee - Bookseller  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Houston, TX

Pros

They don't cut your hours, everyone is full time. They also have decent medical and don't take this out of your paycheck. Everyone gets a chance to work register, stock, and buy. I have talked to former co-workers that told me they were able to be hired with a federal offense. You also have some freedom in how you arrange your sections.

Cons

There is a certain attitude that prevails of self righteous hipsters and if you "fit" you can get away with anything. I went to management with a complaint of sexual harrasment against another employee and was told that he had had multiple other female employees accuse him of sexual harrasment, but he was too fast of a worker to let go. I was then moved away from the section I loved. Only friends and girlfriends of shift leaders were promoted. Finally, when I transferred I was given no choice, but to work the late shift every day.

To the district management I recommend they take a look at the power trips of store managers and shift leaders. Check on the work they actually do and listen to the opinions of lower employees.

Great place to work. I wish I could afford to keep it as my only job.

Former Employee - Shift Leader  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Houston, TX

Pros

Friendly, fun. Good training and benefits.

Cons

Usual retail issues - but the hours aren't as early or late as a lot of places, and fewer really bad customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good outweights bad better retail

Current Employee - Bookseller  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Houston, TX

Pros

benefits like insurance, sick pay, vacation paid, holidays paid, bonuses, hour paid lunch, flexible hours, and 50 percent discount on already half off merchandise.

Cons

politics in store, slowly becoming more coporate like, fast expandsion making training good employees hard.

Take it easy on changes. its never hurt us being the way we are. wait for one change to settle and then more on to another.

Worked for Half Price Books? Contribute to the Community!