Half Price Books Reviews

97 reviews filtered by
3.4
Half Price Books President and CEO Sharon Anderson Wright
Sharon Anderson Wright

Pros
  • the employee discount makes it easy to build an enviable collection (in 12 reviews)

• ridiculously inexpensive health insurance, great employee discount, quarterly profit sharing (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • As always in retail the pay is low but it''s made up for in benefits (in 7 reviews)

• The pay is low but above minimum wage (in 6 reviews)

1. Fun place to work! Great benefits.

Former Employee - Bookseller in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Frisco, TX

I worked at Half Price Books

Pros

Great people, good training, awesome discount. Good pay for retail.

Cons

The management was disorganized at times.

2. Bookseller

Current Employee - Bookseller in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Madison, WI

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time

Pros

They offer fulltime with benefits, generous sick and vacation time, and paid holidays off (although, may not be same day I.e. You will get an extra day off the week before, during or week after of a holiday paid).

Cons

They have changed many policies and many benefits that were hired at have been changed or removed. Management is not great at communication.

3. Terrible management

Former Employee - Bookseller in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Plano, TX

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is pretty good, but the place still sucks the job itself is really really easy but the managers make it unbearable with their poor decisions, micromanaging but barely doing any work themselves, plus constantly running the store understaffed wears everyone down. Worst Managemet team I've seen it worked for in my entire life

Cons

Dismal wages
    Almost no bonus anymore
    Poor leadership
    Asked to take on managerial responsibilities without any promotion or pay increase
    Never do you reviews
    Give raises late or never at all
    Irregular schedule
    Physically stressful because they run understaffed most of the time
    Unhappy customers all the time
    Worst micro managing from certain managers and corporate
    More concerned about petty rules like wearing a name badge than you helping a customer who has just asked you specifically to help them

Advice to Management

Hire the right amount of employees
    Give the people fair raises and on time
    Don't micromanage, especially when
    Your employees are stretched so
    Thin
    Stop alienating your workers, train them
    Better at hire also
    Talk to your employees instead of down at them
    Give people consistent fair schedules
    Read some of those management and business books you sell!!! Then maybe you'll run things more efficiently, have better employees, and have less turnover
    Boots you need to fire Dave.
    Also be more appreciative of how your employees work their tail ends off for you, and you guys don't give anything back to them. Way to suck half price. Great for customer prices (which are rising btw) terrible place to work.

5. Becoming Increasingly Capitalist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Half Price Books (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing insurance. Discounts on awesome books & media. Usually a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Corporate cares less and less for the welfare of its employees with each passing year.

Advice to Management

My problems were on a corporate level, not a management level. And to the corporate heads, I would encourage them to continue to embrace the importance of their workers by not shorting them on their bonuses and providing a more supportive atmosphere--ESPECIALLY toward pregnant women or working parents. America is waaaaay behind in our maternity support: too bad corporations like this take advantage of that. I wasn't told that I was short on hours for the previous working year and therefore couldn't have maternity leave until two weeks before my leave began. Such utter disrespect, especially for someone who worked there (and got marvelous reviews) for six years. Also, they wouldn't accommodate my needs to not lift as much/ step up on stools/ stand on concrete for 7 hours (I couldn't even get a stool to sit on while I did my regular, menial tasks!), until I had a note from my doctor (which the rejected due to "improper wording"). When I was approved to sit on a stool while I priced items/ not forced to climb up on stools, this apparently became classified as a disability and counted against my maternity leave. I know part of this is due to the crappiness of the way that Americans treat pregnant women in the workplace, but seriously, when will insurance companies and corporations stop calling pregnancy a disability?!

6. Great company to work for with fun co-workers

Former Employee - Cashier in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Appleton, WI

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexibility of schedule, patient and understanding management, co-workers and managers that love their jobs, ability to borrow books and music.

Cons

Slightly inadequate heating in our location made for some cold days at work during the winter.

7. For a retail job, it's great, with excellent benefits.

Current Employee - Bookseller in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are excellent, both fringe and actual. Insurance is very good, too. While things do get busy, the atmosphere is relaxed: very loose dress code, and coworkers are allowed to laugh and enjoy themselves. Upper management cares about its employees and the values the company stands for. There is room for upward mobility, with opportunities to become a shift leader, store manager, and upwards.

Cons

No set schedules for booksellers; it can be hard to plan things. As with any retail job, one will deal with the public - who often get angry. The pay is lower than one would hope for, but this is counterbalanced by the excellent benefits.

8. Not For Adults

Former Employee - Customer Service in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Half Price Books

Pros

Fun atmosphere for book lovers/nerds of all kinds (I mean that autobiographically and with love). Birthdays off as a paid holiday. Pleasant work. They move you around throughout shift so you don't burn out on any one activity.

Cons

Low pay and constantly changing schedule. Despite guarantee at interview from manager that I could have a steady schedule (I am a parent and need to arrange childcare), it was all over the place and coming out last minute. Hence, I say this isn't a place for people with families.

9. Good Benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Half Price Books

Pros

Most of the customers are friendly and easy to interact with because for the most part they are well read. Management focuses on promoting from within, especially when the right people are available.

Cons

As is general with retail, most of the staff are unmotivated and tend towards lax behavior. Management could possibly offer more positive incentives to improve on work habits and skills.

10. Great people, awful pay

Former Employee - Bookseller in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with great people. Most of the employees are highly intelligent people that you can actually have conversations with. In my location I think there was only one person that didnot have a college degree. you get plenty of perks like an hour paid lunch break, paid holidays, sick time, and vacation. Excellent health insurance.

Cons

Very low pay for what you have to deal with. Customers are generally disgusting. Regularly blow up the bathrooms which we had to clean up. The majority of the buys we dealt with were absolute garbage and went straight to the garbage or recycling. This is stuff straight from grandmas basement or attic covered in mold and cat pee.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth!

Shift Leader

I worked at Half Price Books

Pros

great co-workers, access to amazing merchandise, relaxed atmosphere, good discount, good health insurance

Cons

dismal wages, poor leadership, irregular schedule, physically stressful, unhappy customers

Half Price Books Photos

Tons unpriced books piling up, because of understaffing due to poor management decisions

+ Add Photo