Half Price Books Reviews in San Antonio, TX

3.6

Half Price Books President and CEO Sharon Anderson Wright
Sharon Anderson Wright

Pros
  • If you want to buy any merchandise, the employee discount is generous (in 10 reviews)

• Great health benefits and 401k, profit sharing (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • As always in retail the pay is low but it''s made up for in benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Many employees stay for 10 plus years, leaving very little room for advancement within the company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great for many years until business got extremely coorporate.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Half Price Books full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great health benefits and 401k, profit sharing. Salaries not very high, but there was much opportunity for upward mobility. Great vacation, sick leave, and maternity/ paternity leave.

Cons

The company mentality changed. They stopped hiring books sellers that new about books. They stopped being family oriented, and wanted to hire employees who would focus on the store first before anything else. I was told that people pursuing degrees or with outside interest would not be hired.

If headquarters wants to run a happy, healthy and smart work place they need to focus on having happy and smart employees. They need to do more secret shopping and investigate how all districts are maintained.

Miserable people, awful hours, terrible wages.

Former Employee - Bookseller  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Bookseller in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Half Price Books full-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount and the health insurance are great-- so are the quarterly bonuses and the sick/vacation days.

Cons

The people are some of the most miserable people that I have ever had the misfortune of working with. Hazing is something seems to be encouraged by the management, even though they do everything in their power to appear to be following corporate rules down to the brass tacks. No one can make $558.35 per pay period and survive. They make you work your fingers to the bone for every cent of that money, too. Hours are never set, and some nights you will close and 11:00 p.m., only to open at 8:00 a.m. the next morning. It is a joke to work there.

Loosen up and stop writing up employees for every little infraction. Give out steady hours. Be kind rather than threatening. And, for the love of all that is good, stop treating employees in training as though they should have memorized every detail of company policy.

Never fall in love with your job

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount, Co-workers,Benefits, Profit Sharing Bonuses

Cons

I've heard that it is WAY different in other districts, so keep in mind this has been my experience in San Antonio. I LOVED HPB for the first several years of my time there. The last year, and the higher up on the ladder I went, the less I loved it. Co workers and I half jokingly said it was kinda like a marriage where you gave and gave, and did your best, but you never seemed to get anything in return. LOTS of micromanagement, and mainly not being given the resources we needed to get the work done that they expected of us. You would get tons of vacation time, but never be able to take it. The quality of life sucked. I would only recommend working HPB in San Antonio if you a) have very thick skin b) are not afraid to work very, very hard c) don't have a significant other or children and d) can live off minimum wage

You are very out of touch. The market is changing, your customers are changing, and you have not worked in the stores on a daily basis in years. Before you implement procedures, YOU need to do them, or let the ones in the stores make those calls.

Worked for Half Price Books? Contribute to the Community!