Halff Associates Reviews

Updated October 5, 2014
2.6

Martin Molloy
1 Rating

Overall a good first job experience

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Halff Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After working for 2 different companies since Halff, I still think of them in high regard.

Cons

I will preface this comment that I worked there during tough economic times, but while I was there, the raises we're not generous. Now that the economy is getting better I think they are the type of company that would give generous raises to employees that show the effort.

Not all of the management but certain managers were very disconnected and distinct from the entry level people.

A place to weather the downturn

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Halff Associates full-time

Pros

When faced with the economic downturn, this firm was a safe place to weather the storm as most of their work is long term public rotational contracts that are not quickly tied to the movement of the markets (like private work is). Better than average work/life balance for an AE firm.

Cons

Pay is below average. Most of the work is in the public sector (City, County and federal). Mentorship of the leadership cadre is non-existent. When interviewing firm talks a big game about supporting personal growth but is unwilling to commit once employed. Old white male large firm culture where senior staff is more concerned about their stock prices than investing in the growth of their younger staff. Poorly run and managed satellite offices. High turn over is typically backfilled with neophyte staff right out of college or trade schools.

Company has gone downhill with the large growth over the past 10 years

I have been working at Halff Associates

Pros

Family-like environment, multi-area engineering firm

Cons

Management team is not approachable

I've never worked at a better place!

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Halff Associates

Pros

This is a well managed, stable company that truly cares about its employees. They are highly respected in the industry due to their breadth of experience and the quality of their work. There are substantial opportunites for women and minorities, in what is typically a white-male dominated industry. This firm compensates employees for good performance with competitive salaries and generous bonuses. Work hours are typically very reasonable, and time-off packages are generous. Employees are encouraged to continue their education and to be involved in trade related organizations. Also, the company is a civic-minded firm and donates generously to charities - both money and employee time.

Cons

Very few. Sometimes, communication between groups wasn't efficient.

You're right on track.