Halfords

Updated October 3, 2014
3.2

Halfords Group Chief Executive Matt Davies
Matt Davies

Pros
  • I also enjoy that a part-time job can be so active and interesting (in 8 reviews)

• learning new things, learning new skills, building bikes and fitting (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • getting enough hours in to make up for the low pay (in 9 reviews)

• there are not enough full time members of staff, and a lot of the time the staff are not as trained as they should be (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

The team are FANTASTIC

I have been working at Halfords part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team I currently work alongside are fantastic. Having worked in the store for two years now, I can safely say this is the best group of people we have had. The management I have received has been great, showing me what needs improving and where I am at. It's even to the point of helping me adapt and learn more about what we offer, so much so that I am now away from my initial role on the till and I'm now on parts; need that bulb fitting? I'll do it. Management has always had a presence in this store, whether it be my assistant manager or store manager, or even the area manager.

I also got the pleasure of meeting people from the Support Centre, Head Office and even Matt Davies, our CEO. How embarrassing, trying to shake someone's hand when you're also trying to carry 20 wiper blades...

From Halfords, I feel like I have the behind the scenes support in order to do my job well. I know who to call, who best to deal with an issue and in turn I feel that I have learnt how to speak to people in order to gain trust.

I would say though, getting a trade card and a employee discount card of 25% is definitely a pro.. especially when buying your car-mad father lots of Auto Glym for Christmas.

Cons

If anything, I would say that a con would be that it seems difficult to progress through Halfords if you do not have the contacts in order to get you seen by the people that need to be impressed. I think this is only in some stores though, all are different; just like customer experience.

I don't think I need to give advice to the Management team. As long as they continue to be engaged with the floor staff within the stores, I think we have something good going on.

Bike Mechanic

Former Employee - Bike Mechanic in Aberdeen, SD
    Former Employee - Bike Mechanic in Aberdeen, SD

I worked at Halfords part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great teamwork ethic, enjoyable work. Good opening hours over weekend and discount scheme. Cycle to work scheme very good and opportunity to progress.

Cons

Low pay considering what is expected of you. High work load at holiday seasons so therefore long hours. Often unappreciated by management, do not partake in any refit of stores. Long hours and very unappreciated.

Different pay scales for different sections of staff

Bike hut Mechanic

Current Employee - Bicycle Mechanic/Tech in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bicycle Mechanic/Tech in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Halfords part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with varied problems and bikes of all brands working with a good team of people.

Cons

Training is out of touch with the real world. New staff coming in are never properly mentored or supported. Pay low and turnover of staff is mind blowing. Career path hmmm. It is one of those places that will suit to pay your bills but for anyone with a young family , the income is far better elsewhere. So for the short term yes but that is it. Full time contracts seem to be a thing of the past here , so you are constantly begging for the extra hours with no sense of security.

Give new staff a mentor ! Don't make offers you do not intend to follow through on. Put bike hut mechanics through CYCTECH and not an in house course. Pay the right money to keep the right staff after all we keep getting told Halfords wants to be the best ! Stop the wow's my regulars are getting fed up with being asked. Kill BCP as it wipes the chances of any mechanic to chase his budget.

It was mighty fun.

Former Employee - Bicycle Mechanic in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Bicycle Mechanic in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Halfords part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You usually work there because you have a skill such as fettling with bikes or cars so you get to be paid for something you enjoy.

Cons

There was quite often a shortage of staff meaning high stress levels to the employees in busy periods. There were quite often not the right tooling available to complete jobs as well.

To invest money in your employees to get a return in performance. I never received any internal or external training in customer service or my specialist field of bike maintenance but fortunately had a strong background anyway.

brilliant place to work

Former Employee - Bicycle Mechanic in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bicycle Mechanic in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

with halfords if you are part time and you need more hours providing you are flexable you will get overtime.

Cons

the managers could do with better training in the areas that they are working in, and the support for more members of staff could do with being changed.

make more full time positions avaliable through out every shop and you wouldnt get so many people leaving in a hurry. and also think about the commision and wage incentives for the sales teams, as the wage is not great lets be fair, i was a cycle mechanic for 4 years and was paid so little in comparison with other cycle shops, i know that for the level i was at if i was in evans cycles i would have been paid at least £10 per hour.

Sales Advisor 2011-2013

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords (more than an year)

Pros

Great experiences, able to get hands on experience. plenty of opportunity to learn. Work culture was brilliant. banter across all levels of employment was great

Cons

Pay not reflective of attributes, rather more reflective of age ! staff turover can be high

the more training the better

A good company to work for with good opportunities if you want them!

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Telford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Telford, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When you work for Halfords you get flexibility, a good pay, employee discounts and a great team. The senior management in the store is good.

Cons

The training can be very much on the job and learn as you go along, but luckily the experienced staff know what they're doing.

Training is vital and helps staff to feel more confident and deliver a better service. Positivity with staff helps them to feel more appreciated and helps them to understand they're doing a good job.

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

Former Employee - Duty Manager
    Former Employee - Duty Manager

I worked at Halfords full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff discount, varied and interesting work. Lots of fun customers to talk to, you can really empower people to love cycling.

Cons

Bullying management, complaints not taken seriously, other staff are in cliques and if you don't get involved in petty squabbles you don't fit in, and you get no help when there's a genuine problem.

Sort out managers who think they are better than they actually are. Stop looking at them through rose tinted glasses.

Good place to have a first job, gained valuable customer experience.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Halfords part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working as part of a small team while also gaining confidence from dealing with customers on a regular basis.

Cons

Not much training was offered to me, very few opportunities for benefits and those that were available weren't of great value.

More investment in stores and keep more stock in store to prevent the regular occurrence of a product not available in store.

average no progression

Former Employee - Sales Floor Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

the team spirit was very supportive we got along helped eachother out and had fun at the same time. the manager at the time was very helpful and supportive too.

Cons

there wa sno progression you could be working for years and no achievement was recognised. sometimes you would have to work after hours too without being acknowledged. not enough praise was given.

give every team member the sense of achievement and the opuurtunity to develop their career within halfords rather than looking for work elsewhere.