Halfords Reviews

Reset
3.1
Halfords Group Chief Executive Matt Davies
Matt Davies

Pros
  • Can recommend to anyone who is after a part-time job (in 8 reviews)

• staff discount is 25% aswell which used to be 15% (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay considering what is expected of you (in 9 reviews)

• the managers could do with better training in the areas that they are working in, and the support for more members of staff could do with being changed (in 5 reviews)

1. Bike Mechanic

Former Employee - Bike Mechanic in Aberdeen, SD
    Former Employee - Bike Mechanic in Aberdeen, SD

I worked at Halfords part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great teamwork ethic, enjoyable work. Good opening hours over weekend and discount scheme. Cycle to work scheme very good and opportunity to progress.

Cons

Low pay considering what is expected of you. High work load at holiday seasons so therefore long hours. Often unappreciated by management, do not partake in any refit of stores. Long hours and very unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Different pay scales for different sections of staff

2. Good environment

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords

Pros

The environment and nature of the job was nice an positive

Cons

It could get very disorganised at times

Advice to Management

More employees on the shop floor would help.

3. Duty manager

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Worthing, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Duty Manager in Worthing, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

25% discount after probation period Nice colleagues and if all ages and interest Good training including gears programs Uniform provided (not trousers or shorts)

Cons

Made to work 55+ hour weeks paid for 38 hours. Unpaid out of hours training (promised pay never got it) Workload is massive often too much for the day/week. Overtime availability been cut off almost completely for part time colleagues but that just means duty managers or higher will do long hours and normally 1-2 hours unpaid per day. Although training is good you are expected to do it in your own time. Terrible work/home life balance. Often progression from outside Halfords is preferred to progression within. Customers web orders for bikes are adding to workload and don't allow fair planning. Health and safety is a joke regardless to efforts made recently, most staff carrying back/shoulder injurys picked up in store. Can't count the number of cuts colleagues on bikehut pick up. Told to leave personal issues at home but always have to take the stress of the job home with you. Made to feel like a terrible colleague if you are to sick to come in. Working staff are told to do "whatever the customer asks" if they want a free bike upgrade because they decide they don't like theirs that's exactly what they will get. I've seen customers return perfectly good £250 bike in return for a bike that cost £480 no questions asked. Pay is very poor considering the pressure colleagues are under and the skills they acquire.

Advice to Management

Start appreciating colleagues. Employee surveys more often Colleague reviews

5. Apply elsewhere

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Duty Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Halfords

Pros

Working in a store like halfords has a lot of challenges and any person who likes a good challenge will love this job , always changing , fast paced and been thrown in at the deep end in terms of fitting on customers cars can be the best way to learn although if it goes wrong damage can be caused to customers vehicle and I have seen disiplinaries carried out in some cases which is hardly fair

Cons

You will work your socks off put in extra hours without pay, pick up the slack from any colleagues who don't pull there weight , bend over backwards for customers and still get no financial benefits from this job just the same low rate of pay with the promise of bonus when targets are achieved , hard to achieve if targets ain't realistic , example if you work harder and earn an extra 50quid for halfords this MAY result in you earning 10p of a bonus ...yeah yeah this won't inspire anyone to work for you . One word describes halfords .. Opportunists . You will sacrifice years of your life to try climb the ladder here and if you do end up manager prepair to get a lot of grey hair and pull it out while you brown nose all the top guys and turn into that manager who sits in the office and forgets the day he started out here on min wage working his back sideoff.

Advice to Management

Not sure store management can take the blame for how under paid and under valued colleagues are but they have to be part of the problem , I wouldn't allow someone to fit bulbs in my car who prob isn't even qualified to flip burgers in McDonald's (sorry McDonald's ) to sum it up , if you want people to show an interest and want them to work hard for your company so that you can be successful then PAY THEM a fair wage

Great Place to work during studies

Current Employee - Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Halfords part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is very helpful and the sense of community is great. My managers place me where they believe I will impact the store the most which they seem to do in all the stores I have worked in.

Cons

Had to go through head office to get re-employed after leaving for a year even though the management of the store wanted me back!

Advice to Management

Try to increase wages as these are relatively low for the amount and type of work that the staff do.

7. Quality of experience solely depends on which store you work at

Current Employee - Sales Advisor (BikeHut) in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor (BikeHut) in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Halfords part-time

Pros

I have worked for Halfords for 4 and a half years, in 3 shops and 2 different countries as a part-time bike hut employee. My responsibilities started as serving customers and advising them on the purchase of bikes, however with experience I became the primary bike-builder and also helped with cycle servicing in all 3 shops. If you get to that stage of knowledge and experience then the job can be very rewarding, as your main responsibilities at work are to build and repairs bikes instead of the standard shop-floor duties. Good discount and interesting work that differs from simple shelf-stacking or till-bleeping. Also, the bonus scheme can give you a decent sum of money at the end of the financial year (4 figures for full-time employees) but relies on a massive team effort as the bonus is banked for the whole store. Another thing worth noting is that, due to the size of halfords stores compared to international retailers, the teams are small and tight-knit. In other words, its easy to make friends and (usually) the teams are very close. I have kept in contact with members of all the stores I have worked at so far.

Cons

The amount of actual training you get is close to nothing - I went to 0 experience with bikes at all to a trained builder and mechanic but it took a lot longer than it needed to, as I never had any concentrated training or even shadowing - just had to learn for myself and constantly ask people to show me who to do what they were doing. If you have that attitude from the start then you can do well, if not, then your progression slows and you don't learn anything. I have seen part-timers work for a year and not progress any further, partly due to their attitude but mostly due to the company's lax attitude towards training and coaching. The pay, in comparison to the technical skills required to do the job, is awful. Someone beeping away at a til will earn more money than you will even though the aforementioned skills are hard to learn and take time to acquire. This may put you off (as it had done for me) working for halfords as it makes you feel undervalued. Also, after working in 3 different branches, I can tell you that your experience directly relies on your management and surrounding team. In addition, the management rotation is high in this company so you rarely have a settled store with established and proven team members leading the way. NOTE Halfords do not pay double or time-and-a-half on any holidays, weekends, overtime, night-shifts etc.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to train part-timers, especially on bike hut.

Great company, slow to recognise achievements

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redditch, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redditch, England (UK)

I have been working at Halfords full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really supportive senior management, variety in your work, chance to move around the business if you choose, personal development is important

Cons

Quite a lot of politics within the business historically although this is being worked on as much as possible. Senior management often say all of the right things to you but take their time to make anything happen in terms of salary or role development

Advice to Management

Continue improving, it's been noticeable so far but there is still work to be done

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Staff Senior in Stockport, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Staff Senior in Stockport, England (UK)

I have been working at Halfords part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- They really supported me when I was off sick critically ill and fighting for life for 3 months - they paid me in full, never ever pressured me into returning and even gave me 2 weeks holiday entitlement back because a pre-booked work holiday was during the time I was ill - they never made me feel like my job was in any danger and left it to me to decide when I was well enough to return. - Excellent staff discount - 25% - Excellent holiday entitlement each year - I get more holiday time than my husband even though he's a senior manager for a different company. - Brilliant people to work with from the cleaner right up to management - in the 10 years I've been there, there's only been ONE member of staff I've had real issues with. - Good support network both instore and across the Halfords team - the people at Systems Helpdesk are lovely, even though they're rushed off their feet and all of the upper managers I've ever met right from Ron Ravenscroft are friendly too. - Good training opportunities. - Good staff rooms - warm and carpeted with microwaves, fridges and kettles. - Daily deliveries - meaning we're hardly ever out of stock of anything now. - Decent opening and closing times - 9am starts and 8pm closes during weekdays and shorter hours at weekends? That's fantastic for retail staff as it enables us to have a life outside work. - Encouragement to build friendships with colleagues outside of the work environment with paid for nights out. - Good discounts at our Autocentres for everything to do with our own vehicles - makes MOT time a little less painful! - A good, clean, safe environment to work in with adequate heating in Winter and good air-con in Summer

Cons

- Staffing levels - we seem to be in a Catch 22 of being told by managers that we're unable to afford more staff yet we seem to have barely any staff which means a LOT of frustration both on customer sides and staff sides - it's common that I'm the only person on shopfloor and I'll have loads of different customers vying for my attention and inevitably getting angry with me and actually shouting at me and using me as a scapegoat for their frustration at having to wait too long or being unable to get what they want. - Low pay - a lot of my colleagues have left even though they don't want to because they can't afford to work there and not get enough base pay to pay their bills etc. - Too much emphasis on NPS - yes it's vital to get customer feedback but how can we achieve good customer feedback when we've forced the customer to wait unacceptable amount of time. I also get many customers getting annoyed with getting an NPS card every time they come in and I've actually had a few saying that having a card given to them is putting them off coming in. - Awful uniforms for women who are short but busty - I have to wear a shirt that's way too big for me and makes me look scruffy and unprofessional purely because I have the misfortune to be above average chest size but not big on the waist or height - you also have to provide your own trousers (although personally I prefer that as I'm short and I remember the trousers they used to provide and they were horrendous. Would prefer it if cashiers could wear knee-length skirts and (ironed) shirts though like we used to be able to (good old Ripspeed shirts) - we looked and felt smarter. I do love the new jackets though and think they're a massive improvement on the old fleeces.

Advice to Management

As a whole, you're doing great and I'm glad to be part of the team and hope to continue being one until I retire in 25-30 years - not bad considering when I started I only ever intended to stay for the short Christmas period! However, please, please, please try and sort out staffing levels as it seems to be a fairly widespread problem and that's an immediate negative focus from our customers and without customers there'll be no Halfords. It was better when managers could just ask someone in for an interview and use their own discretion - yes mistakes were made sometimes with dubious staff being taken on but that still happens and over the past year or so, we've not held onto a single newcomer for as long as a year - the two we currently have are already talking about leaving and one of them is making active plans to leave - when the store managers took the staff on, they had a chance to trial them and to also use their intuition and discretion. Maybe consider either upping the pay or giving certain members such as fitters guaranteed hours - our store have lost some good workers who were loved by our customers because they can't afford to work here. Finally, this NPS thing needs re-thinking - until we can provide the staff levels to ensure we're giving the best service we can, customers are going to keep on throwing those cards away or not giving us 10/10s - as staff, we WANT to give excellent service.

10. Avoid

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Halfords

Pros

none i can think of

Cons

- low pay -no training - labour intensive work

My first 3 months

Current Employee - Auto Lesiure Customer Service Advisor in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Halfords part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better than most retail jobs when it comes to movement to learn.

Cons

You have to train yourself for little reward. The majority of training is self-taught on the companies training website, and once you've completed all the training at level one you get to keep the job at the end of the probation period. But after the more extensive level two, you get an apparent "whopping" 50p an hour pay rise, which hardly feels worth it after the time you may put into it.

RSS Feed </> Embed