Halfords

Updated September 30, 2014
3.1

Halfords Group Chief Executive Matt Davies
Matt Davies

Pros
  • I also enjoy that a part-time job can be so active and interesting (in 8 reviews)

• staff discount is 25% aswell which used to be 15% (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • getting enough hours in to make up for the low pay (in 9 reviews)

• there are not enough full time members of staff, and a lot of the time the staff are not as trained as they should be (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

70 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The team are FANTASTIC

I have been working at Halfords part-time for more than a year

Pros

The team I currently work alongside are fantastic. Having worked in the store for two years now, I can safely say this is the best group of people we have had. The management I have received has been great, showing me what needs improving and where I am at. It's even to the point of helping me adapt and learn more about what we offer, so much so that I am now away from my initial role on the till and I'm now on parts; need that bulb fitting? I'll do it. Management has always had a presence in this store, whether it be my assistant manager or store manager, or even the area manager.

I also got the pleasure of meeting people from the Support Centre, Head Office and even Matt Davies, our CEO. How embarrassing, trying to shake someone's hand when you're also trying to carry 20 wiper blades...

From Halfords, I feel like I have the behind the scenes support in order to do my job well. I know who to call, who best to deal with an issue and in turn I feel that I have learnt how to speak to people in order to gain trust.

I would say though, getting a trade card and a employee discount card of 25% is definitely a pro.. especially when buying your car-mad father lots of Auto Glym for Christmas.

Cons

If anything, I would say that a con would be that it seems difficult to progress through Halfords if you do not have the contacts in order to get you seen by the people that need to be impressed. I think this is only in some stores though, all are different; just like customer experience.

I don't think I need to give advice to the Management team. As long as they continue to be engaged with the floor staff within the stores, I think we have something good going on.

It was mighty fun.

Former Employee - Bicycle Mechanic  in  Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Bicycle Mechanic in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Halfords part-time for more than a year

Pros

You usually work there because you have a skill such as fettling with bikes or cars so you get to be paid for something you enjoy.

Cons

There was quite often a shortage of staff meaning high stress levels to the employees in busy periods. There were quite often not the right tooling available to complete jobs as well.

To invest money in your employees to get a return in performance. I never received any internal or external training in customer service or my specialist field of bike maintenance but fortunately had a strong background anyway.

Sales Advisor 2011-2013

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords for more than a year

Pros

Great experiences, able to get hands on experience. plenty of opportunity to learn. Work culture was brilliant. banter across all levels of employment was great

Cons

Pay not reflective of attributes, rather more reflective of age ! staff turover can be high

the more training the better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to have a first job, gained valuable customer experience.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Halfords part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working as part of a small team while also gaining confidence from dealing with customers on a regular basis.

Cons

Not much training was offered to me, very few opportunities for benefits and those that were available weren't of great value.

More investment in stores and keep more stock in store to prevent the regular occurrence of a product not available in store.

brilliant place to work

Former Employee - Bicycle Mechanic  in  Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bicycle Mechanic in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

with halfords if you are part time and you need more hours providing you are flexable you will get overtime.

Cons

the managers could do with better training in the areas that they are working in, and the support for more members of staff could do with being changed.

make more full time positions avaliable through out every shop and you wouldnt get so many people leaving in a hurry. and also think about the commision and wage incentives for the sales teams, as the wage is not great lets be fair, i was a cycle mechanic for 4 years and was paid so little in comparison with other cycle shops, i know that for the level i was at if i was in evans cycles i would have been paid at least £10 per hour.

A good company to work for with good opportunities if you want them!

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Telford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Telford, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When you work for Halfords you get flexibility, a good pay, employee discounts and a great team. The senior management in the store is good.

Cons

The training can be very much on the job and learn as you go along, but luckily the experienced staff know what they're doing.

Training is vital and helps staff to feel more confident and deliver a better service. Positivity with staff helps them to feel more appreciated and helps them to understand they're doing a good job.

An amazing journey, always developing and learning while being surrounded by passionate people.

Current Employee - Social Media Graduate  in  Redditch, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Social Media Graduate in Redditch, England (UK)

I have been working at Halfords full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic values with a commitment to learning and developing its staff with our customer at our heart.

Cons

A lot of experienced people work there, making it hard to climb the ladder.

Give respect and in return you will gain it. Make time for your team and not only manage them but coach and train them. Pass on your experiences and give them the chance/ room to grow, even if it means them overtaking you.

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

Former Employee - Duty Manager
    Former Employee - Duty Manager

I worked at Halfords full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great staff discount, varied and interesting work. Lots of fun customers to talk to, you can really empower people to love cycling.

Cons

Bullying management, complaints not taken seriously, other staff are in cliques and if you don't get involved in petty squabbles you don't fit in, and you get no help when there's a genuine problem.

Sort out managers who think they are better than they actually are. Stop looking at them through rose tinted glasses.

The best ever company to work for, a company with a heart and soul.

Current Employee - Centre Manager/Training Officer  in  Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Centre Manager/Training Officer in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Halfords full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great prospects and training programme. good working conditions and hours are in line with most garage employment. excellent health and safety policy's and good working practice. Forward thinking with a plan for expansion and progression within the whole of the GB with a team theme and a good feeling thru out and no faceless people as we are regularly visited by the directors and management with plenty of encouragement and support.

Cons

too many people think we sell bikes and not repair and service all cars and vans. more awareness is needed by the motorist.

Look at the people leading the way and make sure they are up to the job and understand the motor trade.

Bad

I worked at Halfords full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally nice people and that makes it fun to work with them.
    Good practical job.

Cons

Lack of structure and permanent staff. In my 6 years I had a new manager at least once a year if not more.
    Pay was awful.
    No outside support.
    Not one training course in 6 years.

Managers where generally very rude and none of the staff go ton with them.

Make your self more accessible to staff. Particularly part timers who have no one they can talk to if there is a problem with the manager or duty manager.

Worked for Halfords? Contribute to the Community!