Halfords Reviews

Reset
3.2
Halfords Group Chief Executive Matt Davies
Matt Davies

Pros
  • Can recommend to anyone who is after a part-time job (in 8 reviews)

• staff discount is 25% aswell which used to be 15% (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay considering what is expected of you (in 9 reviews)

• the managers could do with better training in the areas that they are working in, and the support for more members of staff could do with being changed (in 5 reviews)

1. Good environment

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords

Pros

The environment and nature of the job was nice an positive

Cons

It could get very disorganised at times

Advice to Management

More employees on the shop floor would help.

2. Duty manager

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Worthing, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Duty Manager in Worthing, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

25% discount after probation period Nice colleagues and if all ages and interest Good training including gears programs Uniform provided (not trousers or shorts)

Cons

Made to work 55+ hour weeks paid for 38 hours. Unpaid out of hours training (promised pay never got it) Workload is massive often too much for the day/week. Overtime availability been cut off almost completely for part time colleagues but that just means duty managers or higher will do long hours and normally 1-2 hours unpaid per day. Although training is good you are expected to do it in your own time. Terrible work/home life balance. Often progression from outside Halfords is preferred to progression within. Customers web orders for bikes are adding to workload and don't allow fair planning. Health and safety is a joke regardless to efforts made recently, most staff carrying back/shoulder injurys picked up in store. Can't count the number of cuts colleagues on bikehut pick up. Told to leave personal issues at home but always have to take the stress of the job home with you. Made to feel like a terrible colleague if you are to sick to come in. Working staff are told to do "whatever the customer asks" if they want a free bike upgrade because they decide they don't like theirs that's exactly what they will get. I've seen customers return perfectly good £250 bike in return for a bike that cost £480 no questions asked. Pay is very poor considering the pressure colleagues are under and the skills they acquire.

Advice to Management

Start appreciating colleagues. Employee surveys more often Colleague reviews

Great Place to work during studies

Current Employee - Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Halfords part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is very helpful and the sense of community is great. My managers place me where they believe I will impact the store the most which they seem to do in all the stores I have worked in.

Cons

Had to go through head office to get re-employed after leaving for a year even though the management of the store wanted me back!

Advice to Management

Try to increase wages as these are relatively low for the amount and type of work that the staff do.

5. Quality of experience solely depends on which store you work at

Current Employee - Sales Advisor (BikeHut) in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor (BikeHut) in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Halfords part-time

Pros

I have worked for Halfords for 4 and a half years, in 3 shops and 2 different countries as a part-time bike hut employee. My responsibilities started as serving customers and advising them on the purchase of bikes, however with experience I became the primary bike-builder and also helped with cycle servicing in all 3 shops. If you get to that stage of knowledge and experience then the job can be very rewarding, as your main responsibilities at work are to build and repairs bikes instead of the standard shop-floor duties. Good discount and interesting work that differs from simple shelf-stacking or till-bleeping. Also, the bonus scheme can give you a decent sum of money at the end of the financial year (4 figures for full-time employees) but relies on a massive team effort as the bonus is banked for the whole store. Another thing worth noting is that, due to the size of halfords stores compared to international retailers, the teams are small and tight-knit. In other words, its easy to make friends and (usually) the teams are very close. I have kept in contact with members of all the stores I have worked at so far.

Cons

The amount of actual training you get is close to nothing - I went to 0 experience with bikes at all to a trained builder and mechanic but it took a lot longer than it needed to, as I never had any concentrated training or even shadowing - just had to learn for myself and constantly ask people to show me who to do what they were doing. If you have that attitude from the start then you can do well, if not, then your progression slows and you don't learn anything. I have seen part-timers work for a year and not progress any further, partly due to their attitude but mostly due to the company's lax attitude towards training and coaching. The pay, in comparison to the technical skills required to do the job, is awful. Someone beeping away at a til will earn more money than you will even though the aforementioned skills are hard to learn and take time to acquire. This may put you off (as it had done for me) working for halfords as it makes you feel undervalued. Also, after working in 3 different branches, I can tell you that your experience directly relies on your management and surrounding team. In addition, the management rotation is high in this company so you rarely have a settled store with established and proven team members leading the way. NOTE Halfords do not pay double or time-and-a-half on any holidays, weekends, overtime, night-shifts etc.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to train part-timers, especially on bike hut.

Great company, slow to recognise achievements

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redditch, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redditch, England (UK)

I have been working at Halfords full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really supportive senior management, variety in your work, chance to move around the business if you choose, personal development is important

Cons

Quite a lot of politics within the business historically although this is being worked on as much as possible. Senior management often say all of the right things to you but take their time to make anything happen in terms of salary or role development

Advice to Management

Continue improving, it's been noticeable so far but there is still work to be done

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Staff Senior in Stockport, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Staff Senior in Stockport, England (UK)

I have been working at Halfords part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- They really supported me when I was off sick critically ill and fighting for life for 3 months - they paid me in full, never ever pressured me into returning and even gave me 2 weeks holiday entitlement back because a pre-booked work holiday was during the time I was ill - they never made me feel like my job was in any danger and left it to me to decide when I was well enough to return. - Excellent staff discount - 25% - Excellent holiday entitlement each year - I get more holiday time than my husband even though he's a senior manager for a different company. - Brilliant people to work with from the cleaner right up to management - in the 10 years I've been there, there's only been ONE member of staff I've had real issues with. - Good support network both instore and across the Halfords team - the people at Systems Helpdesk are lovely, even though they're rushed off their feet and all of the upper managers I've ever met right from Ron Ravenscroft are friendly too. - Good training opportunities. - Good staff rooms - warm and carpeted with microwaves, fridges and kettles. - Daily deliveries - meaning we're hardly ever out of stock of anything now. - Decent opening and closing times - 9am starts and 8pm closes during weekdays and shorter hours at weekends? That's fantastic for retail staff as it enables us to have a life outside work. - Encouragement to build friendships with colleagues outside of the work environment with paid for nights out. - Good discounts at our Autocentres for everything to do with our own vehicles - makes MOT time a little less painful! - A good, clean, safe environment to work in with adequate heating in Winter and good air-con in Summer

Cons

- Staffing levels - we seem to be in a Catch 22 of being told by managers that we're unable to afford more staff yet we seem to have barely any staff which means a LOT of frustration both on customer sides and staff sides - it's common that I'm the only person on shopfloor and I'll have loads of different customers vying for my attention and inevitably getting angry with me and actually shouting at me and using me as a scapegoat for their frustration at having to wait too long or being unable to get what they want. - Low pay - a lot of my colleagues have left even though they don't want to because they can't afford to work there and not get enough base pay to pay their bills etc. - Too much emphasis on NPS - yes it's vital to get customer feedback but how can we achieve good customer feedback when we've forced the customer to wait unacceptable amount of time. I also get many customers getting annoyed with getting an NPS card every time they come in and I've actually had a few saying that having a card given to them is putting them off coming in. - Awful uniforms for women who are short but busty - I have to wear a shirt that's way too big for me and makes me look scruffy and unprofessional purely because I have the misfortune to be above average chest size but not big on the waist or height - you also have to provide your own trousers (although personally I prefer that as I'm short and I remember the trousers they used to provide and they were horrendous. Would prefer it if cashiers could wear knee-length skirts and (ironed) shirts though like we used to be able to (good old Ripspeed shirts) - we looked and felt smarter. I do love the new jackets though and think they're a massive improvement on the old fleeces.

Advice to Management

As a whole, you're doing great and I'm glad to be part of the team and hope to continue being one until I retire in 25-30 years - not bad considering when I started I only ever intended to stay for the short Christmas period! However, please, please, please try and sort out staffing levels as it seems to be a fairly widespread problem and that's an immediate negative focus from our customers and without customers there'll be no Halfords. It was better when managers could just ask someone in for an interview and use their own discretion - yes mistakes were made sometimes with dubious staff being taken on but that still happens and over the past year or so, we've not held onto a single newcomer for as long as a year - the two we currently have are already talking about leaving and one of them is making active plans to leave - when the store managers took the staff on, they had a chance to trial them and to also use their intuition and discretion. Maybe consider either upping the pay or giving certain members such as fitters guaranteed hours - our store have lost some good workers who were loved by our customers because they can't afford to work here. Finally, this NPS thing needs re-thinking - until we can provide the staff levels to ensure we're giving the best service we can, customers are going to keep on throwing those cards away or not giving us 10/10s - as staff, we WANT to give excellent service.

8. Avoid

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Halfords

Pros

none i can think of

Cons

- low pay -no training - labour intensive work

My first 3 months

Current Employee - Auto Lesiure Customer Service Advisor in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Halfords part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better than most retail jobs when it comes to movement to learn.

Cons

You have to train yourself for little reward. The majority of training is self-taught on the companies training website, and once you've completed all the training at level one you get to keep the job at the end of the probation period. But after the more extensive level two, you get an apparent "whopping" 50p an hour pay rise, which hardly feels worth it after the time you may put into it.

10. Best Job i've ever had!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager, Bikehut in Mansfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager, Bikehut in Mansfield, England (UK)

I have been working at Halfords full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic opportunities within the company. Events, training, management that genuinely care and the ability to progress are just a few highlights. I don't go to work anymore, I go to a place where friends/colleagues meet daily to get things done. And I get paid for it!

Cons

We're open weekends, so miss a fair few family events. Am at work every other weekend.

The problem is lax management

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Halfords part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Even though I wasn't allowed to take tips when I worked there, this has allegedly changed. - BikeHut has improved and they now have what I'd call a proper workshop environment. - The atmosphere is usually good, you meet all sorts. The fitting service was the highlight of the job as you're out and about in the car park working on people's cars. Each vehicle is its own challenge. - You get to learn an awful lot about a great range of things ranging from batteries to stereos & sat navs. - Cracking 25% staff discount, even on entire bicycles. - Team is generally comprised of the young and outgoing type so there's a lot of after work parties and meet-ups. - Bags of paid holiday time

Cons

- Massive under-staffing problem. Company is too conservative and it reflects in the service you're able to provide, when you're supposed to do ten jobs at once. - Stores are visually dated and tatty. Definitely in need of an overhaul. They need to make the place look more modern and fresh. - Training is handled on-line and takes absolutely hours. You're expected to do it in your own time, but don't get paid for it. You could possibly do it at work, but you'd need a quiet store and the managers would probably prefer it if you got on with your job instead. - Team ethic is mixed. We went through employees like nobody's business. Sometimes the team play was excellent, but on a great many occasions there was a lot of proverbial backstabbing and general immaturity within the team. - Original two managers were poor. Store seems to have cleaned up under new manager since I left. First manager I had was abusive to staff, and eventually was fired. Second manager slightly better. Sometimes, managers from other stores visited. Visiting managers utterly hopeless. - All managers I had felt inclined to stand around chatting despite telling those beneath them to get on with their work. - CEO was due to visit the store on three occasions across the two-year period, which is admittedly quite a lot given how many stores are across the nation. However, on each occasion CEO broke promise and never turned up. That's just cruel and, to my mind, shows a lack of care or interest. It also sets a double standard example. - Security measures were poor. Had a man walk out with a 200 quid pressure washer unchallenged because the lady on the front till assumed he'd paid for it at the parts desk towards the rear of the store. - Halfords don't seem to care about employee feedback. We were given numerous opportunities to leave feedback which we took advantage of; including an annual staff survey. Sadly, the company doesn't give a care what you put down. They ignore it anyway. Customer feedback is paramount, but staff feedback was not taken on board. - Radio 1 or Heart plays on the radio 24/7 so if you hate hearing the same terrible pop songs day in, day out, don't work there. It drove most of us mad. Employees were not allowed to select their own - suitable for a store environment - music to put on on the basis that a Halfords radio spot comes on maybe once every four hours. So what? - Fairly uncomfortable polo shirt uniform. Made from a very cheap material. No expenses spared. - Upper management echelons seem to have no idea what actually goes on in their stores, nor how to run stores in general. Sometimes I wonder if upper managers have actually worked on store level before, or if they simply live in a fantasy world in their own heads. - Advancement potential is poor and I'd generally say it's a dead-end job. Good for a few months, I suppose. Most folk realise this, which is why a lot of staff don't stick around long. - The salary is extremely low - practically minimum wage - which is surprising given the wide range of skills a Halfords employee is actually expected to possess. People who work at Aldi across the road get over 8 quid an hour, and their job encompasses far fewer skills.* *For example at Halfords you'll be expected to fit bulbs, blades, batteries, cycle carriers, car stereos, set up sat navs, wheel trims, do oil changes, child seats, mix paints, make up number plates, fit number plates, fit roof bars and boxes, and have good product knowledge for all these things combined plus more. (And maybe occasionally help out in BikeHut too!)

Advice to Management

-Take your staff's feedback more seriously. Actually listen to the people on the front lines. -Work on improving the chain of communication. - Empower your middle managers to do their jobs properly. Too often, I heard them say they had to gain permission from higher up to make vital decisions. - Consider offering employees better incentives to reach targets. - Upgrade your store I.T. hardware. Slow hardware means slower turnover. - The EPOS/software system needs a lot of work. When it takes numerous button taps and a good ten or more seconds to access oft-used screens, such as checking a registration to see what wipers someone needs for their car, then you're doing something wrong. Consider introducing short-cut buttons for commonly used areas of the system. For instance have a 3B's button on the root/home screen on the EPOS system. Better yet, consider implementing some form of voice control so staff can say 'Search wiper blades' and it immediately pops up asking for their registration.

RSS Feed </> Embed