Halifax Health Medical Center

Updated Mar 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Concern person

Cafeteria Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood workers, nice environment and fun to work at

s

ConsChange too much, nothing is never stabled

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

The Food Service is Terrible!!!

Food Service (Former Employee)

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay is excellent and so are the benefits.

ConsThe Food is expensive and terrible. The maternity ward gets luxury meals (Steak, Chicken or shrimp) while the other patients gets the slop (meatloaf, fish, turkey) from the kitchen.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone is equal. Stop feeding the new mothers and start feeding the patients!

Management is unfit for duty

Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pay and benefits are excellent. There are numerous different healthcare disciplines represented and the capability exists for this to be one of the best hospitals in the southeastern United States. Patients are never turned away due to lack of money. There is a fair sense of teamwork among employees on the floor, sometimes due to being good people, sometimes due to banding together for common defense against the management.

ConsThe management. Promotion and retention are obviously based not on competent performance but on who panders the best, thus the inept,the lazy, and the amoral receive preferential treatment. Their attitude toward employees is that is you disagree with us, go elsewhere, with no consideration that competent professionals who are not in management might have some valid ideas sometimes. The stated cultural objectives of the institution sound good to talk about but are very orwellian in their actual practice. Patients are accepted even if they are indigent but whether they receive equal care consideration from the management or not is open to discussion.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best thing the upper level management could do for patient care and employee morale in that institution is to resign as a group so they could be replaced by a new group of people who have some concept of the universe outside of themselves and a true interest in ethical, high-quality care.

Worst EVER Customer Service

HMFIC (Current Employee)

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center as a contractor

ProsThey have a good location

ConsSupervisors/Security/Nurses are so scared parents can't even pace the floor! Without being asked to leave the hospital?

Advice to Senior ManagementGEt training for yourselves and staff

great training and learning experiences

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCo Workers are the best

ConsUnderstaffed, unable to give the best patient care

Advice to Senior ManagementGo undercover, and work the units.

Despite the constant focus on patient satisfaction, there aren't enough nurses to help ensure that patients are happy

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time

ProsWonderful co-workers, great physicians, good benefits. Able to work part time and still receive many benefits.

ConsSalary is sub-standard considering the nurse-patient ratios and high acuity levels. In addition, there is additional stress related to recent publicity regarding questionable hospital practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen days are hectic and staffing is short, senior management needs to be on the floor to observe the issues that have been reported to them before an unfortunate incident occurs.

Too many cooks in the kitchen

Food Service (Current Employee)
Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center part-time for less than a year

Prosbenefits, pay and work hours are great

ConsJob has no designated position. The supervisor will place you where ever is needed.
No training. The supervisor expects you to know what you are doing and if you mess up, he calls you into his office to yell at you.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave two personal to each work station and stop placing people in a workstation knowing that he or she is unqualified.

Overall, good experience working for Halifax

Secretary (Current Employee)
Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI was hired at 60 years old and worked for 10 years before retiring. So they must not have an age discrimination thing going on. I enjoyed my time with the company but worked hard for the money and think I did a good job. Good benefits but those got less and less as years passed.

ConsA lot of inside politics and hiring of friends and relatives who came in and were placed ahead of "old timers" in title and pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many in high management that did not really work hard but enjoyed all the time off benefits, ie, long lunches, golf, hair and nail appointments and other things on company time. The lowest on the totem pole really ran things.

Frequent policy changes within Halifax Hospice of Volusia/Flagler cause confusion and frustration."

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time

ProsOpportunities to transfer to other departments.

ConsIf you're an LPN expect to be the low man on the totem pole. Older RN's who have been away from the bedside, and have transferred to the office setting lack communication, and management skills. Condescending attitudes are aplenty at the Port Orange office. Extreme, and frequent policy changes occur as often as the wind blows. Additionally, pay rates are low for the area. You'll be expected to purchase your own uniforms, and must turn them over to have the company logo stitched across your chest for free advertisement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome back down to earth with the rest of us. Kindness and respect go a long way. Use opportunities for education to strengthen the company, rather than as a way to boost your own ego and demean fellow employees.

A nightmare

ProsA good place to get experience, health insurance is good, close to home, I get pay pretty good and this is the reason why I have not left the place yet and it is also hard to find a job right now.

ConsExtremely poor, unprofessional, and irresponsible supervisors in the radiology department always looking to suspend, reprimand, or fire someone for any reason even if they personally do not like you very poor department. Human resources is a joke employees do not have the opportunity to defend themselves and even when confidentiality is promised the promise is already broken before you can even return from HR back to your department. Additionally, employee morale is extremely low and seniority means nothing. Hours you work are constantly shifted to benefit their bottom line and if you don’t accept these constant changes you are blacklisted.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not give so much power to these supervisors or department management, they are humans and they are not perfect. These manager or supervisors they will do whatever it takes to benefit themselves and not Halifax.

Worked for Halifax Health Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Halifax Health Medical Center reviews and ratings. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Halifax Health Medical Center employees.