Halifax Health Medical Center

Jeff Feasel

Awesome learning experience

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a level II trauma center and a teaching hospital there was no lack of excitement and disciplines from in which to learn. Very supportive coworkers.

Cons

Management not open to suggestions on potential improvements. When very important (safety) issues are brought to the attention of the manager you are seen as a trouble maker. A few very unsafe nurses are allowed to continue working even when concerns have been discussed.

Upper management: Hire/promote unit managers based on knowledge, experience, education rather than seniority.

Lots of opportunities

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great patient and family diversity; lots of really nice co-workers

Cons

lots of opportunities not being taken advantage of; lots of chiefs (operations managers and service managers) maybe too many

might closely evaluate all management

A great start for a career - but not a place to stay and establish a satisfying one.

Former Employee - Coding Specialist II in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Coding Specialist II in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a truly large and impressive hospital. As a coder, I was exposed to a variety of areas and specialties, and learned a lot in my time there.

Cons

Poor leadership. Little to no recognition for the job you do. Low reimbursement for the job description, and expected productivity. A 'bonus' that is continually just out of reach because the levels are unreasonable.

Stop giving yourselves pats on the back and raises and spread some of that wealth around. You want to know why people aren't happy and smiling and need that Disney Institute treatment? You needn't look at the employees as being the weak link. It's you.

Really enjoy my job and what Halifax offers

Current Employee - Social Worker
    Current Employee - Social Worker

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time

Pros

Great benefits, very good pay. My coworkers are supportive and more than willing to help you out. My supervisor is amazing. Had your back. Great experience.

Cons

It's frustrating not to get holidays off. But this is made up for in getting 4 weeks off.

Keep up the good work

Good experience

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Daytona Beach, FL

Pros

Trauma Hospital so lots of learning opportunities

Cons

Low wage but typical for Daytona

Quit paying them so much in upper management

Great hospital, horrific upper echelon.

Former Employee - R N in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - R N in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful team members, exciting fast paced environment, and new things every day.

Cons

Lying, cheating upper management. Department of Justice involvement with massive fine that falls on the taxpayers since this is a public hospital.

Get rid to the top management, I have never seen such a waste of money in my 30 year career. (I have worked at many hospitals throughout the country)

A good starting job

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center

Pros

At Halifax Health you will learn and experience a plethora of patients and disease processes. Good team approach within departments.

Cons

Low pay scale as compared to other healthcare settings in the community.

Get competetive with the pay scale.

I had a good experience at Halifax. Radiology manager was fair.

Former Employee - Radiographer in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Radiographer in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work was definitely a pleasure to go to. My co-workers were wonderful and we all got along famously. We had pot luck lunches, outings, and everyone genuinely looked out for one another.

Cons

The pay at Halifax was not as competitive as Orlando, or even Altamonte Springs or Sanford. It is a State funded hospital, but I'm not sure if that is a good enough reason. The benefits at Halifax were also not as good as even the local cable company.

Your hands are tied when it comes to salary but more squeaky wheels will get greased.

former co worker 10 years

Current Employee - Clerical in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Clerical in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

location is great. Access to doctors is good.

Cons

Middle and upper management are not interested in the employees under them. They are looking out for themselves and their larger than needed pay scale. New hires are hired in at the same wage as the loyal employees that have been there for 10 years. I know for a fact. One manger didn't know how to do e-mail and sent out a mass e-mailing to t he effect. Employees had to tell her of her error. Go figure. If management does not like you, your not a favorite and do not fit in with what they think, you are outcast. Private party e-mails sent out to dept. and the manager is friends with person and managers hang around with their employees. Too many times long term employees caught doing their banking on company time and company computers. Management aware, turned their heads. The hard working employees work while the go old boys club have a good time in dept. instead of working. Ever wonder why the dept. has so many accounts outstanding?? Need to have all employees held accountable to the same standards and work ethic. Sloppy dressing mangers hired in that employees have to train.

Middle management gossips and employees are allowed to gossip about medical records of people they know. When bring this to employee attention to not do this, the employees go to management and lie to cover up . retaliation is really used there.

Doctors have several large conference rooms while employees work in mold and dirty dusty areas. Restrooms never stocked with toilet paper and dirt is encrusted on ceiling vents and walls in corners.

Clean this place up and start taking an interest in your GOOD reliable employees. It starts with you. and you are not a good example. The Cornerstone is really a joke. It is a programs you waste dollars on so that when you get less money from the negative grades, you can blame it on employees. If your going to talk it, you need to do it your self. It starts from top down and your a bad example.

This hospital is on the decline.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many great employees working here that go above and beyond. They are willing to help their fellow employees. I learned a great deal about healthcare operations.

Cons

Nothing but a boys club. Very low employee morale. Hardest workers are not recognized for their hard work. There is so much money wasted that should be going to the employees.