Halliburton Reviews

Reset
3.3
Halliburton Chairman, President, and CEO Dave Lesar
Dave Lesar

Pros
  • Work-life balance is okay depending on your area of responsibilities (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits fair pay, awesome food at the camp (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is more work less life (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours are required in order to perform at a top level (in 42 reviews)

Too Much Management Interference

Current Employee - Senior IT Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior IT Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Halliburton

Pros

Lots of good projects to work on and great colleagues to work with. Compensation is OK and benefits are pretty good. Great place for minorities and women to work since they will be given preference for promotions.

Cons

Management is on the war path to outsource all IT work to India and this is putting all IT jobs in jeopardy including positions working with SAP which had previously been safe. Not a great place for non-minorities and non-women to work at since minorities and women will be given preference for promotions. Job security at Halliburton is non-existent and there are no exceptions. Even top managers and VP's get pushed out at the whim of executive management whenever they get a bug up their arse.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CIO who doesn't care about lower-level employees. Stop the rush to outsource all IT functions to India. Step back and select the most appropriate functions to be moved to India.

Excellent Training Horrible Workplace

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Kilgore, TX
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Kilgore, TX

I worked at Halliburton

Pros

The pay is good with per diem etc. and benefits package Excellent training if you can make it through their military regimen

Cons

Pay does not reflect long hours nor competency they squeeze anything and everything out of you... You will never have quality nor a work life balance as long as you work here... They own your life when your there. You can never give enough. The first couple of months you think its attitude..., but you begin to realize your a pon. A means for them to make more money. In fact in training I was told they hire engineers so field mistakes could be solved by laying blame. Their is no need for engineers out their. Everything can be accomplished form base and in some locations it has been tested... They say you have rotation of days off lol... they will call you in...trust me... They preach one thing about safety and do another... They show they don't care...

Advice to Management

Lighten up. No one should ever have the mindset live to work, but work to live. Make the work surroundings more enjoyable. Family always comes first. If my were preparing to have a baby understand I am going home to see my wife and new child. If my wife or family member is sent to the ER I am leaving the field to meet them. I was told by a manager that my family needs to understand the requirements of a field engineer. Missing my baby being born and my wife being sent to the ER are not sufficient excuses for leaving work. Grow some integrity and morals...

Don't do it...

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Halliburton

Pros

None, This is a horrible work environment. If there is any upside it is that you can geat a lot of experience really fast and then get the hell out of there

Cons

Terrible hours Terrible pay Bad Bonuses that change with management's whim signing bonus has to be repaid if you leave before 2 years which is an eternity at this company

Advice to Management

stop the good old boy BS, treat your employees like more than just warm bodies and cut the red tape that stops all progress

a poor representation of the potential one has to grow and learn

Current Employee - Geophysicist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Geophysicist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Halliburton

Pros

decent benefits thats pretty much it

Cons

poor comparative pay long hours (24 hr call) no bonus overworked no balance of life and work no upward mobility salary not representative of worth poor education system and growth support

Advice to Management

the employees make the company and should be treated well enough to be proud to work there.

Not Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caldwell, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caldwell, TX

I have been working at Halliburton

Pros

This location is not in a big city. Their are quite a few good people to work with.

Cons

no raises based on your work. lied to about recieving bonuses. filthy commuter vehicle transportation. a few hours of sleep each night. they'll hire anybody. i mean anybody. Having to drive company vehicles with minimal sleep. Horrible pay with poor future raises.

Advice to Management

Pay the workers that work. They have families too.

Depends on your supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duncan, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duncan, OK

I have been working at Halliburton

Pros

good benifits and vacatons. They seem to really care about their employees, it just seems that I was placed with a lousy supervisor.

Cons

it's sad to know that with virtually any job even a corporate one that you have to haggle to get your pay . You aparantly can't state your pay and them accept or deny infront of you they just say that trust me you'll be making way more than you did at your last job.

Advice to Management

i was lied to by my pgl (supervisor) about what my pay was going to be when I was hired on. Then we had no overtime wich he said was in over abundance which was only true for the first month. I also had issues with a single coworker, in which every one has, and it went as far as things getting physical for my pgl to seperate us after I repeatedly asked him to help solve the problem. I don't know what to advise other than have responsible people become supervisors, not sometime that is just qualified.

Unnecessarily demanding and demeaning over simple tasks.

Former Employee - Supply Chain Management Program in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Management Program in Houston, TX

I worked at Halliburton

Pros

Good money, nice facilities, good benefits

Cons

The people, the culture, the history.

Advice to Management

Offer praise where praise is due. Don't try to intimidate people into performing. Create a team atmosphere. It's a novel idea, I know.

Noncollaborative; all about managing up; tech company that lacks innovation and the spirit to make it happen.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Halliburton

Pros

Opportunity to take on different roles frequently.

Cons

Noncommunicative management tending toward micromanaging and lack of trust.

Advice to Management

Allow your talented people the opportunity to fail or shine, with advocacy and mentoring. Your people are your greatest resource.

The Devil Wears Prada

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Halliburton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Global Opportunities; On site child care and fitness center.

Cons

My manager was equivalent to the boss in "The Devil Wears Prada." I was bullied, talked about and was forced to drive to their house at 10pm to pick up supplies. On at least 2 occasions, I was forced to work from that person's house with another coworker. Terrible micro management.

Halliburton audits and monitors work hours of professional employees- mandated to work in the office for min. 9 hrs/day.

I have been working at Halliburton full-time

Pros

Fair benefits, interesting, smart, friendly coworkers.

Cons

A top executive recently went on a campaign/office tour to alert employees that management is monitoring employee hours (by badge time in/out) to ensure all employees are in the office working for 9 hours a day (includes lunch). Employees were firmly informed that those who do not comply will be terminated. Quotes from the meeting: "All employees are easily replaceable." "Halliburton does not have a work at home policy." At one meeting, one employee posed the question "I routinely have to work at home to collaborate with employees on the other side of the globe. What then?" The response was "That's your job." So, any hours worked at home is your contribution to the company. Furthermore, any doctor's appointment needs comes from an employees sick time (vacation time if child is sick.) If you are looking for a place to work that is progressive, trusting, and inspiring.. this is no the company for you.

Showing 978 of 1,031 reviews