Halliburton Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
3.4

Halliburton Chairman, President, and CEO Dave Lesar
Dave Lesar

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, Low taxes compared to taxes in new york (in 23 reviews)

• First class safety and driving program, good benefits and top notch equipment (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • They claim to care about "family" "work life balance" and "good compensation" (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours, sometimes lack support to get large projects completed (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible! Misleading!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Halliburton full-time for more than a year

Pros

You come across a lot of great people (the ones who haven't quit or are on the outs to quitting). You also build a great business network while speaking to different carriers.

Cons

Management tries to run the show when they have no idea what's going on.
    They expect you to work 24/7, 365, with no extended appreciation and lack of help.
    When you are a salaried employee and if you don't have manager after your title, they will run you INTO the ground.
    They claim to care about "family" "work life balance" and "good compensation"... I was promised many things and it was all false.

If you put INTEGRITY in your core values, show it. I get that Halliburton is a HUGE international company and all of your employees are just a number, but your camps lose out on so many good employees because of lack of integrity. It seems as though it's who you know within the company to get promoted, and some managers do a lot of butt kissing to get to the top... even if they are entirely incompetent.

Company great - Managers, not so much

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Halliburton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, very flexible when family members are hospitalized. The executive team tries to be transparent to its employees.

Cons

Rating and ranking is VERY subjective and not always based on the stated goals and objectives of the job title. Regardless of if the employee met or exceeded goals and objectives, the rating can still be "does not meet objectives". Managers take out their personal feelings about the employee in their rating, which is salary affecting.

Consider re-training managers in effective assessments and how to coach employees throughout the year. Hold the managers to the same subjective evaluations to show them the effect it has on employees - then give them the true rating based on stated goals and objectives.

Not a bad place, if you don't want a personal life.

Current Employee - Electronics Technician  in  Caldwell, TX
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Caldwell, TX

I have been working at Halliburton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All the overtime you could ever want and then some. The benefits are ridiculously in expensive. I am married and have two kids may total monthly health care contribution for a complete PPO is $168.13. They will match your 401 up to 6%.

Cons

All the overtime you could ever want and then some. As an Electronics Technician, I average 90 to 100 hours week, this is good for the bank account but I don't have the personal time to spend any of it.

Get rid of the good ol' boy network and things would be alot better. Take training seriously and don't just trow your employees to the wolves.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad place to work

Former Employee - Drilling Fluids Engineer  in  Casper, WY
    Former Employee - Drilling Fluids Engineer in Casper, WY

I worked at Halliburton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cool technology but quickly being out dated

Cons

Poor management, very limited knowledge base makes it hard to learn job and progress. Out of the hundreds of people I have met most quit and those that stay do not like the culture or pay.

Just fire yourselves. I hear all of you complain about the lousy pay so it really starts from the top down. Plus have a CEO that isn't an accountant! I don't care about 3rd quarter earning what are we doing to stay competitive? Times are good, what are we doing to re-invest in our long term success? I hear all the time HES is getting run off another job because it does not have competent people to do the job right or has a inferior product.

Field Engineer

Current Employee - Field Engineer  in  Odessa, TX
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Odessa, TX

I have been working at Halliburton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job security, benefits, room for advancement, good pay

Cons

Long hours, people seem expendable

Focus more on employees needs and wants.

It's all about the bottom line

I have been working at Halliburton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work independently, but part of a team. You are responsible for you leg of the team, the team comes together to execute a job. Good satisfaction when the job has been completed successfully.

Cons

Loooong hours. 24/7/365. Revenue Revenue Revenue. You are just a number. Good ol' boy network survives.

Yearly review is a sham, managers don't even know who you are and rate your performance.

Great learning experience, unorganized training program, bias management

Former Employee - Associate Technical Professional
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Professional

I worked at Halliburton full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great learning and training opportunities
    - International opportunities widely available even for starting position.
    - Excellent benefits

Cons

- No work/life balance. Worked 11 days on, 3 days off with 12+ hour shifts.
    - Employee safety is overlooked for financial cost.
    - Lower salary compared to competitors.
    - Promotions and cross-training opportunities are given depending on relationship with manager.
    - Complains and criticism are not taken well.
    - Very stingy company

- Standardize company rules across entire company rather than by camps.
    - Always put safety over money
    - Pay competitive salaries
    - Give all employers the right to voice their opinion without penalties.
    - Don't force over hiring which can lead to firing of people down the road to cut budget.
    - If you make your employers happy, their will do a better job and you will be happy.

Halliburton has been good to me!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Halliburton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity to work with people that I truly like and enjoy. It's a family atmosphere.

Cons

Compensation isn't great. You have to put in at least 5 years or kill yourself out in the field before you see any real money. If you don't fight for it, you won't get it...i.e. raise, training, time off, etc.

Engineers and technical personnel are not the only high performers in the company. Encourage everyone to succeed

Just another day in the oilfield

I worked at Halliburton

Pros

Good benefits , descent play.

Cons

Crap management, poor quality. And poor management again

Great People, Fantastic Opportunity, Poor Compensation

Current Employee - Account Leader  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Leader in Denver, CO

I have been working at Halliburton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The freedom I have to do my job is amazing. I love the people I work with and getting to work on so many things. Literally every day is different, and I can run my accounts like my own business. Our leadership team is really second to none.

Cons

The Compensation that Halliburton offers is well below competive, and in some cases out right bad. The compensation structure does not motivate you to try and earn more for the company.

Improve Compensation - Salaries & Bonuses

Worked for Halliburton? Contribute to the Community!