Hallmark
www.hallmark.com Kansas City, MO 5000+ Employees

Hallmark Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Hallmark – Foothill Ranch – “Entrance to the Hallmark located in Footholls…”

Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.

Don Hall Jr.

Pros:
  • "Hallmark has always provided great benefits and work/life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Great Co-workers, flexible hours, free stuff once in a while"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not a lot of opportunities for working part time or from home"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Upper Management & Area Manager take no responsibility for store staff or problems"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a bad place to work if you have no ambition.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay and benefits. Flexibility in work schedule. Working with lots of great people. Weekends off, some paid holidays. This was supposedly a great company to work for a generation ago, but, like most family run businesses, the further away from the founder you go, the further away from the founding principles.

ConsBusiness is declining, management/owners taking it out on the "little guy" by freezing pay, taking away benefits and increasing work load. A lot of office politics, nepotism and management is hyper defensive in communications with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees aren't stupid. Just speak the truth. Don't try to sell us a pig in a poke (regarding company policy, etc.) and tell us it's great. It's insulting.

negative experience due to unprofessionalism displayed by TA. playing favorites.

Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee)
    Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe flexibility of hours and establishing a positive relationship with store employees.

Conslow pay for work Borderline nepotism practiced by TA hiring distant relatives, ie, sister in law and daughter of sister in law. Told by TA that friends of current RM's would not be considered for hire, but what is the difference?

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees equally,take into account how hard they work and pay accordingly. Emails are repetitive with one new topic. Just add new topics without repeating what has already been sent.

great place to work

DESIGNER III (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

Prosflexibility allowed in work schedules, but varies per your manager

ConsVery conservative and old school office

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider diversity on leadership

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Labor intensive, but not difficult. Holidays are very high-paced

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, good training, friendly supervisors

ConsLow pay, little room for advancement. Holidays are a beast.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider offering benefits to part-timers and pay more than minimum wage. Retention rate might be more significant.

Started off great!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsMet some nice people, made a couple really good friends, decent employee discount

ConsTerrible hours, terrible pay, working hard for barely any money, catty old women who will spread rumors, lazy management

It's an amazing company in a declining industry, which has led to some tough times.

Graphic Designer (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsThe people at Hallmark are wonderful and the culture is great also. For the most part, work/life balance is important to management and taking opportunities to refuel are encouraged so that people don't get burnt out or overworked. Hallmark compensates their employees well and try to recognize employees who take initiative to solve problems by going above and beyond their daily job function.

ConsUnfortunately, due to a declining industry, some difficult decisions have been made by upper management in recent years. These down-sizings have taken their toll on employee morale and some decisions by management have left employees questioning the direction and vision of the company. In addition, the smaller work force has increased the workload of many and, in turn, negatively impacted work/life balance. In the past, I wouldn't have thought twice about recommending Hallmark as a great place to work, but it may no longer provide the stability or longevity that many desire. Nonetheless, Hallmark is still a great company and hopefully will be around for years to come, but it will likely continue to operate on an ever shrinking scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's imperative for Hallmark to maintain a competitive edge by reducing costs and remain relevant to consumers by placing more emphasis on innovation. Yet, I also feel that it's equally imperative that leadership does not lose sight of the founding principles, values and culture which have made Hallmark such a great company for more than a century.

Love the environment!

Specialist (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsEveryone I work with is cheerful and wonderful
    Love my manager, she's genuine and has the patience of an angel!

ConsI started as a seasonal position and continued part-time after the season's over so I've been there only for about 3-4 months but so far I have nothing bad to say!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a bit more organization in delivery of information to all employees

Training could have been a bit more systematic rather than just throwing the new employee out on the floor

Inventory management could be much better - we have plenty of stuff that we have barely sold out of and are still getting too much stock in

Family Oriented, Safe Work Environment and Wonderful Staff

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsOffer Training
    Flexible Hours
    Great Staff
    Beautiful Merchandise

ConsI don't know of any. Had a great experience with the company.

Territory Assistant

Territory Assistant (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsThis was my most favorite job ever. Lots a good stress. Great Territory Manager! I liked working with the Retail Merchandisers and other Territory Assistants in my area. They were all hard working people who would come together to execute huge store rebuilds. I also enjoyed the flexibility this job offered my schedule. Perks were you could take time off whenever you wanted and have someone cover your territory.

ConsCompensation is not wonderful so there was always a challenge attracting top talent and then keeping them. You were required to work the day before and after most greeting card holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is quite a bit of administrative information filtered to employees and not much payroll time allotted to review this. I had to be careful to ensure I wasn't "working off the clock" to read through everything. More realistic balance between administration and payroll would be helpful and encouraging.

I hear the world headquarters is great... Can't say the same about the warehouse in Liberty

Retail Order Processor (Former Employee)
    Liberty, MO

ProsGet a good workout
    Fun people to work with
    No thinking is required (if you're into that sort of thing)
    They hire just about anybody with a pulse

ConsYOU ARE EXPENDABLE
    Management does not care about you, your family, how long you've worked there, your goals, or anything about you.
    You are a number, and if you do not produce results within a certain timeframe, you will be fired. No questions.
    You will not start on first shift, and it will take years to get off of second/third (whichever you start on)
    Who buys cards anymore? Not exactly a stable future.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees like actual people instead of dirt.

Worked for Hallmark? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hallmark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hallmark CEO Don Hall Jr. All 313 reviews posted anonymously by Hallmark employees.