Hallmark

www.hallmark.com

Hallmark Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Hallmark – Foothill Ranch – “Entrance to the Hallmark located in Footholls…”

Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.

Don Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Hallmark has always provided great benefits and work/life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule most of the time(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of opportunities for working part time or from home(in 16 reviews)

• Upper Management & Area Manager take no responsibility for store staff or problems(in 13 reviews)

Family Oriented, Safe Work Environment and Wonderful Staff

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsOffer Training
    Flexible Hours
    Great Staff
    Beautiful Merchandise

ConsI don't know of any. Had a great experience with the company.

Territory Assistant

Territory Assistant (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThis was my most favorite job ever. Lots a good stress. Great Territory Manager! I liked working with the Retail Merchandisers and other Territory Assistants in my area. They were all hard working people who would come together to execute huge store rebuilds. I also enjoyed the flexibility this job offered my schedule. Perks were you could take time off whenever you wanted and have someone cover your territory.

ConsCompensation is not wonderful so there was always a challenge attracting top talent and then keeping them. You were required to work the day before and after most greeting card holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is quite a bit of administrative information filtered to employees and not much payroll time allotted to review this. I had to be careful to ensure I wasn't "working off the clock" to read through everything. More realistic balance between administration and payroll would be helpful and encouraging.

negative experience due to unprofessionalism displayed by TA. playing favorites.

Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe flexibility of hours and establishing a positive relationship with store employees.

Conslow pay for work Borderline nepotism practiced by TA hiring distant relatives, ie, sister in law and daughter of sister in law. Told by TA that friends of current RM's would not be considered for hire, but what is the difference?

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees equally,take into account how hard they work and pay accordingly. Emails are repetitive with one new topic. Just add new topics without repeating what has already been sent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place to work

DESIGNER III (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

Prosflexibility allowed in work schedules, but varies per your manager

ConsVery conservative and old school office

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider diversity on leadership

Labor intensive, but not difficult. Holidays are very high-paced

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, good training, friendly supervisors

ConsLow pay, little room for advancement. Holidays are a beast.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider offering benefits to part-timers and pay more than minimum wage. Retention rate might be more significant.

Started off great!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsMet some nice people, made a couple really good friends, decent employee discount

ConsTerrible hours, terrible pay, working hard for barely any money, catty old women who will spread rumors, lazy management

Hard Work Long Hours

Pretty store
    Seasonal changes

ConsHorrible Hours
    Never ending floor resets

Advice to Senior ManagementNo longer feels like a family owned business. A growing culture of greed.

Talented co-workers, shameless and self-serving managers

Writer (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsWonderful peers within creative community. Talented and passionate design and word people. Good physical environment. Competitive pay and benefits for creatives. Decent training opportunities. Good diversity. Good environmental efforts. Great cafeteria.

ConsEthical slippage. Lack of employee trust in management and in company's future. Rampant ageism. Cronyism within management ranks. No risk taking. Slow to move into the digital space. Too many managers and not enough people doing the actual work. Experience and expertise count for very little. Cult of personality rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO Don Hall needs to trust his employees more, and his senior managers and human resources personnel less. As the brand pillars crumble, managers still make sure they get their own annual incentives, and play musical chairs under the guise of business reorganization. The company is desperate, bleeding its top, highly experienced, highly compensated talent in order to get their salaries and health benefits. Used to recommend Hallmark to every creative I knew. Not anymore.

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsBenefits (retirement, discount on product, coffee shop) and the people.

ConsWork life balance. Not a lot of opportunities for working part time or from home. Also, though there is room for growth, there is not a lot of opportunity for bonuses and salary increase.

It has been a great experience overall

ProsI work with awesome people and the management where I work is 98% awesome. They care enough

ConsSometimes over the years there are times when it was difficult to work well with others who had a different agenda and used their position to make some people miserable

Advice to Senior ManagementThe changes that have been made at the site I work at have overall positioned the site for growth

Worked for Hallmark? Contribute to the Community!