Hallmark Health Reviews

1. New Grad RN at Lawrence Memorial Hospital

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Medford, MA

I worked at Hallmark Health

Pros

Was a fantastic learning experience for New Grad's. I have since worked for two very large medical centers in CA and was horrified at the low level of training and support they gave their new graduate RN's. Graduated from the affiliate RN school and worked there as CNA and oriented to nursing in early 2008. I hope they still have the same kind of orientation as I got. I am thankful DAILY about the fantastic support I got on West 3.

Cons

Too high a ratio for type of patients. Need to be flexible with acuity (doesn't everywhere though) 5:1 with older demented telemetry pt's with 10+ meds that need crushing and taken 1 by one isn't safe. Not to mention all the people who required sitters and we didn't have staff for them. Since it is a small community hospital, it is a bit tough to advance in a nursing career. More complex cases go into Boston. No one ever left the ICU so it can be hard to gain new skills or do something new..

Hire a resource RN that is not part of the count. This person can 1. cover the breaks that we never get and 2. Actually be a resource. I think this would cut down on overtime, increase morale and increase patient satisfaction. Staff by acuity....please.

2. Expected to know how department runs with one hour of orientation

Former Contractor - Per Diem Physical Therapist in Medford, MA
    Former Contractor - Per Diem Physical Therapist in Medford, MA

I worked at Hallmark Health as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were helpful to answer questions when supervisor never communicated them during orientation.

Cons

I had one hour of orientation to the department before I started treating patients. I was given constant negative feedback on my daily job performance because I was not made aware of the documentation guidelines within the department. Documentation is still done on paper vs a computer where most healthcare facilities document. Supervisor belittles staff with sarcastic comments and ease drops constantly. Productivity requirements communicated by manager were very different than supervisor. One hour lunch breaks were non existent when we were expected to treat patients during the beginning of them.

Hire supervisors that are positive people. Managers and supervisors should be on same page in regards to productivity requirements.

A Nice Place / No Growth Potential

Former Employee - Administrative in Melrose, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Melrose, MA

I worked at Hallmark Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are dedicated and care about their patients and their work, for the most part, and there is an atmosphere of camaraderie. Good health benefits.

Cons

There is absolutely NO GROWTH potential unless you are an RN. If you're not an RN, you won't advance even in arenas that are non-clinical without being an RN. Pay is very low and below market.

Offer opportunities to talented employees if you want to retain good people, regardless of whether they are an RN. You can have a great deal of knowledge and skill without having gone the hands-on, "clinical" path.

5. Lack of support from hospital administrators

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Melrose, MA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Melrose, MA

I have been working at Hallmark Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learning a lot, some opportunity for growth, co-workers became friends.

Cons

Schedule is rotating and isn't published more than 2-3 couple weeks in advance. Feeling of a lack of respect from administration.

Show that you're taking employees suggestions into consideration, and follow up.

6. High turn over of staff. Wrong people in management.

Current Employee - Visiting Nurse
    Current Employee - Visiting Nurse

I have been working at Hallmark Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyable patients for the most part.

Cons

Mangers are not qualified for there positions and are promoted from within each time some one leaves which is every 6 -8 months or so. I had 5 different managers the time I worked there. Shows you how awful the company is. Mangers do not treat workers fairly and threaten staff. Belittled staff on frequent basis. Hostile work environment. Staff is expected to train new employees and take them out for there entire orientation. They do have 2 RNs who are supposed to train employees but they are too busy trying to do joint visits and train older employees. When I say older most employees have been there less than a year. Not only do managers keep leaving as does the rest of the staff. Joint visits are done to sign you off on skills that you can't do unless signed off. You don't always get signed off on things but when push comes to shove they will try to assign you to go do a visit where you are on your own with something you have never done(Ex. Lab draw) nor been "signed off on". Refusing something your not comfortble doing enrages your supervisors FYI. Also required to take nursing students out. Can't refuse to take out student. Patient's rarely see the same nurse more than once. Daily wound care patient will most likely see 5-7 different nurses in course of a week even when same nurse may be available Mon thru Fri, but that would make sense and Hallmark doesn't. No consistency. Visits constantly being forced for you to see regardless if you feel it's too many. All they want is a nurse in a patient's house so they can get paid from insurance company. Do not recommend working here. You will not be happy.

Treat your employees the way you want to be treated. Be fair and stop using favoritism with your friends. People that work hard get no recognition. Turn over rate high because of poor management. All management while I've been working there have been promoted from within with no management experience and some with very little nursing experience. Very unrealistic to have managers with no experience managing and hardly any experience being a nurse.

liars

Former Employee - Physician in Saugus, MA
    Former Employee - Physician in Saugus, MA

I worked at Hallmark Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

so many cons, that no pros could compensate. Good supportive staff, very nice patients, great locations close to Boston. Terrible people in leadership ruin all the pros though

Cons

Terrible performance of the leadership because of personal deficiencies of some of the " leadership team members" They aggressively recruit new providers, because current providers keep leaving. They will promise good compensation, 8 weeks of time off. In reality they delay payments for more than a year, they never give you real vacation, because they don't bother to worry about normal call schedule or practice coverage during the vacation.
    When I decided to go they kept me by giving lots of promises, which they never keep. When I reminded them that I am going, they tried to make me starting counting 6 months of the notice from the beginning , because my initial notice was emailed and not mailed. Real gang of liars.

Let liars go

8. Great work life balance

Former Employee - Staff Accountant
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant

I worked at Hallmark Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

people in my work area, training by my boss, ease of learning systems and processes, entry level salary was competitive, flexibility in hours, annual group outing, so much PTO!

Cons

budget cuts hit hardest (lowest) workers hard ...instead of wealthy execs, cubicles are like a maze...not much access to windows/fresh air

happy employees make your life easier, dont micromanage and give them small perks for staying late or going above on a project.

Avoid this pit at all costs.

I have been working at Hallmark Health

Pros

Everyone shows up, people with the same position as you usually have your back...thats about it.

Cons

Bad pay, bad benefits, and the middle and upper management is the shining example of people who shouldnt have power in the work place. They are degrading, condescending, backstabbing, and lazy.

You work at the Motel 6 of Massachusetts Community hospitals...stop acting like you're running the show at the Hilton. Pay attention to your employees when they come to you with problems. This isn't Survivor...you can't just vote people out because they talk to co-workers you dont like. Grow up and be professional, it's no wonder you people have no respect. And for God's sake, you dont need to smoke three packs of cigarettes a day and come in stinking up the lab...it's a hospital, after all.

10. Terrible Management, treated like scum, do not work here!

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Melrose, MA
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Melrose, MA

I worked at Hallmark Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers became like family, cheap coffee.

Cons

we had to watch out for each other because Management acted like sharks on the hunt for reasons to point the finger of blame. Bad pay, no vacation time. Vacation time goes by seniority, so even if you request the week of july 4th off 6 months ago, the old lady you work with who doesn't budge all day will get it even if she puts in for it a week before :) Management is rude, does not acknowledge you if they don't feel like it.

Oh and very distant offsite parking,

You work at a crappy, dingy community hospital. You are not God, most of you only have a Bachelors, so calm down. Treat your employees like humans, we are ONLY doing all the grunt work for you so that you can get into your 1997 Camry and drive home to your miserable husbands. We are making your day better by doing all the work.

Salary not competitive, but great quality of life

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Melrose, MA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Melrose, MA

I have been working at Hallmark Health

Pros

I work with dedicated and caring staff
    Free parking
    Benefits are competitive-especially compensation for going back to school
    Very patient centered being a community hospital

Cons

Pay rate is not competitive for the area and raises do not occur annually or based on merit, but rather when they can afford to give them
    Some of the staff/Drs are not well versed in EBP

I find my immediate leadership often goes to bat for the staff, but in the end they often lose out to the higher ups. This is especially true with staffing, and it always comes back to bite us when they eliminate these positions.