Hallmark Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
3.2

Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.
Don Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Very accommodating when it comes to work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Great Co-workers, flexible hours, free stuff once in a while (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of opportunities for working part time or from home (in 18 reviews)

• This position will always be part-time and low pay with no benefits (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience has been positive and I have learned a lot.

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy this job because of the flexible hours. There is always something to keep you busy. You stay self motivated and I enjoy solving and dealing with the challenge that may arise.

Cons

Sales need more reviewed so the store will receive more or less product especially during the holidays.

Needs more communication about upcoming holidays and promos.

Great benefits, slow to change

Current Employee - Supervisor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Hallmark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salaries, good benefits, good work/life balance. Some excellent leaders in place. Great culture based on superior ethics.

Cons

Declining revenues, cost-cutting, downsizing, little opportunity for advancement. The company is slow to change old ways of thinking.

More quickly adapt to the changing world, offer more innovative products to fill the need to meet consumers relationship needs.

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Since the company is franchised each location is run slightly differently. At the location I was at promotions came easily. The work was simple and very low stress. The hours were decent, since this particular location didn't stay open past 7pm.

Cons

Tedious at times. The work was very repetitive and monotonous.
    It was a good job to have while going to school.
    As with most retail jobs, working weekends and holidays was mandatory.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was my first job, and it was wonderful. The manager took me in with open arms, and I was able to develop the skills required when looking for a job nowadays.

Cons

It basically goes from 0-100 really fast. It could be medium paced, but once the holiday season comes it becomes very stressful.

Nothing! You're doing great and you're very flexible.

My 31 years with Hallmark.

Former Employee - Transporter Operator in Liberty, MO
    Former Employee - Transporter Operator in Liberty, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, nice work environment, great benefits. The first 20 years were like working with family. Job advancement was good, I worked in several departments & was happy in every department I worked. I served as safety rep in a few departments also.

Cons

The worst thing about working for Hallmark Cards, Inc. my last 11 years was the feeling that my job was not secure from down-sizing & the closing of the east coast facility.

Make your employees feel like they mean something to the growth of a century old company instead of just being a number. And not be so willing to let go of quality employees.

Great Job During School

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Biloxi, MS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Biloxi, MS

I worked at Hallmark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at Hallmark for 2 years. The schedule was always flexible, and the work was easy. It was a fun job during the holidays, as well.

Cons

Management is either fantastic or poor. My location was short-staffed and didn't have a manager (asst. or head) for several months. Sales associates were expected to perform management-level duties while our DM searched for new management.

Fun work environment, difficult to advance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, fun coworkers, ok benefits. Very accommodating when it comes to work-life balance. The creative department is a hoot to be around. Convenient services offered to employees.

Cons

It is almost impossible to move around within the company. The work can become redundant and creativity is stifled at that point. Can be clique-ish.

It used to be a fun job.

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at Hallmark

Pros

The best thing is that you can make your own schedule. Little weekend work is required. There is some opportunity to work additional hours.

Cons

Expect to work a lot before and after all the big holidays. No benefits. Yearly pay raises are very small or none at all. Communication is often confusing. Many times my boss has told me to do things differently than stated in the instructions received. Now we are being told that going forward we must accept whatever stores or special projects our boss tells us. We have little to no input on where or when we will be able to work.

Compensate your employees in the field fairly. Also you need to upgrade the technology we work with. The new machines are annoying and half the time they don't work.

Okay retail job to have temporarily

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Conway, AR

I worked at Hallmark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees here were great girls/women, some turned into long time friends. The products were easy to sell and maintain, no clothes to fold ect. The customers were usually fairly pleasant. The hours were pretty good for retail, of course weekends and nights are required but the store closed at 8 and we got out of there by 8:15.

Cons

Promotions here are non existent. The Hallmark I worked at, a Cherry's Hallmark literally did not give raises. There were women that had worked here for 10 years and longer and still made minimum wage. No benefits available.

Show appreciation for your employees more. They should feel as though they are not disposable.

Retail Merchandiser

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Majority of work fairly easy, straightening and filling cards, gift wrap, etc. Large re-sets and holidays can be a bit more challenging, but still not too bad. Mostly independent work,need to be friendly - get along with customers, and store associates.

Cons

Pay seems lower than other retail merchandiser positions, hours can vary tremendously (barely enough to make worthwhile at times).

Need to have better accountability for RMs who are not fulfilling basic duties, better pay/raises.

Hallmark Photos