Hallmark

www.hallmark.com

Hallmark Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Hallmark – Foothill Ranch – “Entrance to the Hallmark located in Footholls…”

Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.

Don Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Hallmark has always provided great benefits and work/life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule most of the time(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of opportunities for working part time or from home(in 16 reviews)

• Upper Management & Area Manager take no responsibility for store staff or problems(in 13 reviews)

Great first job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsIt was a great company to work for. Never had any problems. Left because I moved cities in order to attend college.

ConsAlthough I enjoyed working at Hallmark, I was only paid minimum wage. Also, at the time my store only had three employees and two must be working at all times so it made for some very long days.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your employee selection process more difficult. One of my fellow co-workers was caught stealing money and another girl never showed up to work.

I have worked here for a few years and everyone has been very nice and helpful

Installation Leader (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsIt is a part-time job but everyone that works for Hallmark seems to have been around for a while. Everyone is very helpful. It is a family atmosphere. Pay isn't too bad for a part-time job.

ConsYou can only work part-time. They stress on time management to save company money yet they seem to waste an awful lot of money. There isn't a lot of training either.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the people at corporate should do some of the same jobs we do so they can see how to make things easier.

Good career

Product Support Specialist (Former Employee) Lawrence, KS

ProsGreat tradition, safety first, caring coworkers, paid overtime, scheduled pay increases

ConsManagement has lost touch, all about how to cut costs, more with less, same job every day, loud.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the "little people" and listen to them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsVery family friendly, they also are very serious when it comes to their employees being treated fairly

ConsIt's retail. .. so same issues...hours holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementBuyers and merchandise team should spend time in store.

Newly hired

Section Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe culture is great and the people who work there really care about your success and future. The company really cares about their employees and their needs. Very good benefits, holiday time off, PTO, etc.

ConsPay is too good for first line employees in the plants such as manufacturing or distribution. Non-skilled jobs that have a lot of breaks, very laxed and easy going and are almost paid the same amount of managers with college degrees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower hourly wage rates in the plants so employees don't get so greedy... Pay managers who have more experience and college knowledge than those who are there for the job only and does not care to make the company better with also lack of college degree.

Great company to work for

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Jackson, MS

ProsFun, flexible, great job for high school and college students or retiree. If you enjoy helping someone find the right gift or card for their special one, this is the job for you. It makes you feel great that you had a part in making someone feel special .

ConsSometimes it could be slow paced and repetitive but other than that it is a pretty mellow environment.

Slave labor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts, customers enjoyed fellow employees

ConsNot enough hours in a day to accomplish the amount of work to accomplish on any given day, VERY physical work constantly rebuilding shelving and displays, not having proper time to do it, little to no instruction or training and finally being ridiculed for doing it wrong. Thankless work. No support from DM or HR

Advice to Senior ManagementGo through the work manual and read through an employees expected job lists for the week and actually try to do it in the allotted time (keeping in mind that you can.t leave the sales floor because you have to help customers and there are only 2 employees in the store). The job load is impossible to finish if you want quality work. Hallmark sets you up to fail so they have an excuse to pay such low wages. This company, Don Hall, needs to be on Undercover Boss so you could really see what your employees go through. I will be expecting your apology.

Rich history, challenging present, uncertain future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a "feel good" place to work. People are nice to each other for the most part and often develop deep friendships. You're surrounded by a lot of wonderful artwork at headquarters and many talented, dedicated, creative people. The cafeteria and cafe are quality and the benefits are excellent. The mission and values are positive; there's a history of philanthropy on the part of the corporation and the Hall family that makes a positive impact in the community.

ConsThe core business is a mature industry and recent reorganizations have meant there are fewer people doing more work. There is a lack of courage on the part of managers to act, despite tough talk by senior leaders. There's a pervading fear that the best days may be in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe bold. Make tough choices. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and don't take too long trying to decide what to do. Stop looking to consultant, competitors, and key customers for direction on the way forward.

Fine.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFun, easy work. Good job for young people. Good summer or part time job.

ConsNo opportunity for moving up. Not much work to do.

Like any large company there are a lot of process issues.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThere's a lot of creative talent. There is a cafe with Starbucks coffee and employees get a discount on Hallmark products. People are nice.

ConsThere are a lot of layers of approvals. It takes a long time to get projects approved and actually have the ability to do them. Iif you have any new ideas it takes years and a village to make anything happen. They are not up to date in the digital space and have a hard time understanding new technology in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut some of the layers of management and alter processes so employees actually have autonomy over their jobs and can start new initiatives easily. Everyone wants to be successful in their job so allowing them to actually be successful without having to sell their ideas to the entire company would be helpful.

Worked for Hallmark? Contribute to the Community!