Hallmark

Hallmark Reviews

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
3.2

Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.
Don Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Very accommodating when it comes to work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• I enjoy this job because of the flexible hours (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of opportunities for working part time or from home (in 19 reviews)

• This position will always be part-time and low pay with no benefits (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company but with a sadly shrinking market

Former Employee - DESIGNER III
    Former Employee - DESIGNER III

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a designer for cards and collateral material for Hallmark's main product lines as well as for clients of its subsidiary HBE for over 10 years. Great work/life balance at this company, demanding of one's effort and talent, but with 40-50 hour work weeks rather than 45- 80 hour work weeks I had experienced at design firms prior to my job here. Positive sharing of skills and support within the creative staff here. Lots of opportunity for growth and to move around the company and do different things. Speakers and different internal presenters gave talks to keep the creative staff up to date and inspired. Onsite cafeteria was quite good as well.

Cons

Physical greeting cards, the great money maker for this company, are on there way out as folks have less time to shop and send these items and cell phones and social media become more pervasive. So Hallmark is shrinking and employment openings may be limited. Compensation is good, as well as time off policies.

A true visionary is necessary to reimagine the whole company in our era of social media and YouTube. This must start at the very top. The current CEO seems like a thoroughly decent guy, but this company needs a Steve Jobs or somebody from Nike to get it to reinvent itself. More guts are necessary.

Loved the job

Former Employee - Print Production Tech
    Former Employee - Print Production Tech

I worked at Hallmark as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at headquarters for almost 2 years. Training was excellent. Office culture was very professional. Very accommodating to work-life needs.

Cons

I worked as a temporary employee for almost 2 years, but there were no benefits at all. Wanted to apply for full-time positions, but unless it was posted to the external world (and everyone else), there were no opportunities.

If you use temporary workers who are trained, middle-management probably knows if they want full time employment. Might be worth looking at them instead of having to re-train people who have never worked there.

An amazing place in a tough category

I worked at Hallmark

Pros

Great company, amazing people, unbelievably high level of competence.

Cons

Greeting Cards are a tough category and the business overall isn't doing great, which creates tons of pressure.

Change faster!

Great people, tough underpaid work

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My managers are both wonderful, and the other co-workers are nice as well. My managers are extremely helpful and give me the independence I need to function. When it's not really crazy the job can be somewhat enjoyable as well.

Cons

The pay is lousy - minimum wage-esque and only part-time is available. For that little pay you'd think the job would be pretty easy, but in fact it's incredibly difficult at times. Every time you go back to a big account, cards are everywhere out of order and it can easily take all day to go through the entire card section and organize it, put away the cards you previously ordered (or that were ordered for you) and re-order more if needbe. In big holiday seasons it's even worse because then you also have to worry about all of those cards as well, in addition to other nick-nacks like bags, ornaments, tissue, toys, etc. It's more physically demanding than you'd think as well.

Pay people a decent wage more appropriate to the job. Offer commission or bonuses for ordering.

Good for Retirees

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Eufaula, AL
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Eufaula, AL

I worked at Hallmark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Easy work. Can keep some of the products they would throw away, with approval of course. Adequate training. Positive work environment. Pleasant customers.

Cons

Cannot be main job. Not enough hours. Heavy boxes. Only part time jobs with no benefits.

Working at Hallmark

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hicksville, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hicksville, NY

I worked at Hallmark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy workload, some days there is not a lot to be done, usually pleasant people shop at hallmark

Cons

Can become very slow when no holiday season is going on.

Management is fine.

Boring but pleasant.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago Ridge, IL

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with and for were wonderful (Chicago Ridge location).

Cons

A lot of down time on weekday mornings when it's slow.

Use incentives to sell things as a way to challenge and keep the employees busy.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are excellent. People are friendly and willing to help when needed. A real sense of community within the organization.

Cons

Company seems to be downsizing in several departments/divisions. Stability of certain jobs is an issue. Communication between departments wasn't always the best. Definitely room to improve.

A Great Place to work

I worked at Hallmark part-time

Pros

Very fulfilling work when helping customers

Cons

Hard to move up in management chain

Once A Great Company But Due to Lack of Executive Vision and True Desire For Change, It Is In A Death Spiro

Former Employee - Supply Chain Coordinator in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For a recent college grad, going to work at Hallmark still looks good on your future resume. Many companies still look at Hallmark in good light because they don't know how bad the company is doing. If you can stick it out for a couple of years and get as much exposure and experience as you can and then get out, don't think you can make a career at Hallmark. When you first arrive you are on top of world, they listen to your ideas if fits your manager's career objectives or goals but in a short period you will be labeled a drone and shoveled aside to do not productive and regressive work.

Cons

When Scott Adams created Dilbert, he could had been basing his experiences on Hallmark if he had ever worked there. Hallmark has laid off hundreds of employees in the past ten years. With these layoffs, has come the phenomenon, Scott Adams called "Brightsizing" meaning the company has either laid off the best and brightest managers and employees or these same groups have seen the light and left to work for companies with vision and better appreciation of their employees. When I left in 2013, employees were working 60-70 hours a week with no additional compensation of any kind, not even a sincere thank you for outstanding effort to meet unrealistic objectives. Your year-end performance could have list 99 objectives you did that had a positive impact on meeting the company's objects for the year but your manager was given orders from the upper management to find even the smallest insignificant objective that you did not complete and down grade your performance evaluation and provide no opportunity significant salary increase or job advancement. I was told by one of my manager that she could not find any issues in my performance for the year but she had to find something so she picked some obscure issue and made it the basis for giving me an average performance rating. Another manager gave me the same speech and said the only thing she could think of was that I said, "You know" at the beginning of a lot of my sentences. I checked with my fellow employees and none could recall me ever using that phrase at any time. Occasionally I see my friends from Hallmark and they are tired, beaten down and unappreciated. Many who like me, cannot wait to either get laid off or retire. Many have countdown clocks on their cellphones which countdown the hours, minutes, and seconds until they can retire. Many of those in their 50's wonder if they can make it to retirement as the stress is breaking them down mentally and physically. It is a sad situation to watch as a former long term employee.

No words or advice to management can change the direction that Hallmark is going, lack of vision by executive management.. In the 80's Hallmark had a chance to buy Disney and didn't, they could have gotten into the voice communication industry when AT&T was split up (AT&T was consider their main competitor in the 80's in consumer to consumer communication and personal expression), Hallmark bought Univision the largest group of Hispanic Cable TV Station and poured in $500 million to keep it a float and later sold it for $550 million because they did not know how to manage it. Today Univision has gross revenues of $8 billion and growing while Hallmark has been stuck at $4 billion in gross revenue for many years with increasing expenses and massive layoffs. Truly a company without vision, cannot see past the business of paper and ink and don't realize they are like other past successful companies that are near gone or extinct like Kodak, IBM typewriters, and buggy whips.

Hallmark Photos