Hallmark Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.2

Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.
Don Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Hallmark has always provided great benefits and work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Great Co-workers, flexible hours, free stuff once in a while (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of opportunities for working part time or from home (in 18 reviews)

• Upper Management & Area Manager take no responsibility for store staff or problems (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Since the company is franchised each location is run slightly differently. At the location I was at promotions came easily. The work was simple and very low stress. The hours were decent, since this particular location didn't stay open past 7pm.

Cons

Tedious at times. The work was very repetitive and monotonous.
    It was a good job to have while going to school.
    As with most retail jobs, working weekends and holidays was mandatory.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was my first job, and it was wonderful. The manager took me in with open arms, and I was able to develop the skills required when looking for a job nowadays.

Cons

It basically goes from 0-100 really fast. It could be medium paced, but once the holiday season comes it becomes very stressful.

Nothing! You're doing great and you're very flexible.

My 31 years with Hallmark.

Former Employee - Transporter Operator in Liberty, MO
    Former Employee - Transporter Operator in Liberty, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, nice work environment, great benefits. The first 20 years were like working with family. Job advancement was good, I worked in several departments & was happy in every department I worked. I served as safety rep in a few departments also.

Cons

The worst thing about working for Hallmark Cards, Inc. my last 11 years was the feeling that my job was not secure from down-sizing & the closing of the east coast facility.

Make your employees feel like they mean something to the growth of a century old company instead of just being a number. And not be so willing to let go of quality employees.

Great Job During School

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Biloxi, MS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Biloxi, MS

I worked at Hallmark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at Hallmark for 2 years. The schedule was always flexible, and the work was easy. It was a fun job during the holidays, as well.

Cons

Management is either fantastic or poor. My location was short-staffed and didn't have a manager (asst. or head) for several months. Sales associates were expected to perform management-level duties while our DM searched for new management.

Okay retail job to have temporarily

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Conway, AR

I worked at Hallmark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees here were great girls/women, some turned into long time friends. The products were easy to sell and maintain, no clothes to fold ect. The customers were usually fairly pleasant. The hours were pretty good for retail, of course weekends and nights are required but the store closed at 8 and we got out of there by 8:15.

Cons

Promotions here are non existent. The Hallmark I worked at, a Cherry's Hallmark literally did not give raises. There were women that had worked here for 10 years and longer and still made minimum wage. No benefits available.

Show appreciation for your employees more. They should feel as though they are not disposable.

Retail Merchandiser

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Majority of work fairly easy, straightening and filling cards, gift wrap, etc. Large re-sets and holidays can be a bit more challenging, but still not too bad. Mostly independent work,need to be friendly - get along with customers, and store associates.

Cons

Pay seems lower than other retail merchandiser positions, hours can vary tremendously (barely enough to make worthwhile at times).

Need to have better accountability for RMs who are not fulfilling basic duties, better pay/raises.

Great Company with a very family oriented culture!

Current Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Hallmark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Hall family values their people and being a strong part of the Kansas City Community.

Cons

The Core Greetings business has delivered consistently poor performance (Missing Plans) year after year yet leadership has not changed and bonuses are paid in full to senior managers and at least partial payments to the middle management range. There is no incentive for the company to perform and change.

We struggle with relevance in the digital age, reflected by the 20 year decline in the unit sales of greeting cards. There is so much more we could do in our core business around omnichannel and other avenues but we have yet to find the tipping point that galvanizes or forces us to truly change. The problem starts with leadership.

Great Work for the pay

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at Hallmark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Set your own hours weekly

Cons

Repetitive and sometimes need more direction

Great place to work

Current Employee - Key Holder in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People, customers, merchandise is excellent, flexible hours, managers are very supportive to staff.

Cons

No full time positions unless managers, due to many part-time positions lack a committed force by some folks.

Offer some full time sales positions

Great Part-time Hob

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours/days
    Helping customers
    Sense of accomplishment
    Work independently/ or with a team

Cons

No other benefits, no PTO, fast paced, can be demanding around holidays. Training was a bit lacking.

Hallmark Photos