Hallmark Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
1.0
Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.
Don Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Good work & life balance - if with the right manager & department (in 19 reviews)

• I enjoy this job because of the flexible hours (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • I was a part-time associate After Christmas had finished (in 19 reviews)

• Only part time jobs with no benefits (in 16 reviews)

Overworked IT Workforce

Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Used to be a great place to work, now fear is evident on the faces of most employees. The fear of losing their job, the fear of performing, the fear of not making mistakes while living the expectations of excellence.

Cons

No accommodation for life-work balance Over-worked workforce Extreme cost reductions at the expense of employee Diminished compensation, benefits, rewards and recognition for excellent work. All work completed is not good enough. Attitude of first level managers is very abrasive

Advice to Management

Your attitude to your long-term employees suck. Your actions are pushing employees out, instead of retaining them. The employee feedback review system is very corrupt with significant abuse by managers.

WHERE'S THE MANAGEMENT

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers - sadly, they are the ones who don't understand the whys of what's going on with Hallmark along with employees

Cons

First - one star is one star too many. There should be a no star rating. Management, specifically, district and regional management. And certain store managers.

Advice to Management

If you are cutting back then, start looking into the productivity and decision making of your regional and district managers. They are pathetic. That's where information goes missing, conveniently disappears or never makes to corporate for proper handling. They pick and choose what to deal with or who to cover for. How disturbing they got as far as they did in this company. Standards are just that low. Is it any wonder why Hallmark is in the shape it's in.

On the decline...

Pros

Benefits used to be good, but are on the decline.

Cons

No vision from leadership, business continues to decline, layoffs are becoming a constant

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customer interaction is amazing. You meet some great people and get to know your regulars. The 40% discount is awesome as well as the product you sell.

Cons

The store cut their payroll, so you are alone in the store for at least half your day, sometimes more. The shipment is overwhelming 50 cases a day in 4th qtr. You have no or little staff to put product away. The company gives you daily activities that you must complete and you are overwhelmed with all the tasks to do. I spend so much time hearing all our store managers complain about the work load and how are you expected to complete everything being the only person in the store. Many store managers are looking for another job. They pay the associates minimum wage and expect a lot out of them. Your key holders make just a little more than that and are running the store when you are not there. It was high anxiety! Way to much to do in one day. I worked open to close most days, or came in at 6 am and we didn't open until 10 just to get a head of my paperwork. The cards are always being taken down or moved. This can take a few days alone, so plan on staying late everyday. You wont be leaving on time. Your district manager will call right when you are scheduled to leave to see if you are still there and then keep you on the phone talking about business for at least an hour.

Advice to Management

The district manager needs to be more involved. Corporate activities need to be cut back now that labor was cut. The customer service surveys also need to be less involved since you are the only person in the store. You can't be the manager, the cashier and help customers at the same time. Be more realistic in what you expect from your store managers. Stop doing so many resets!

6. Unsatisfied ASM

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Products You get to meet so many types of people

Cons

Starting a few months ago they started decreasing the full time hourly workers hours to 32. That was okay for a bit, but then they started making us work shorter shifts so we would still be there 5 days a week. For me making the 30 minute drive to the store wasn't worth a 3 1/2 hour shift. Well now they are getting rid of all full time hourly workers. Granted they are giving us 2 1/2 months to find another job, but most manager are under the dillusion we're all still going to stay through 4th Quarter as key holders making less money and working less hours. Then they release a statement to all employees of the company saying that they're cutting all of us to save their jobs. I was hoping that having worked for Hallmark for 4 + years that they would care more about us. That's not the case, they only care about the bottom line. A company that was once about the customers is now only about the money. I have told some of the better customers that I will not be staying and they won't be coming back once I leave. They are as disappointed in Hallmark as I am.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Some of us have spent out careers working for a company we believed in and you are just tossing us aside to save your own butts and give you a bigger bonus.

Slow death of an iconic company (my rating is one star too high)

Former Employee - Creative Division Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Creative Division Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You'll grow stronger as a person learning to live daily with the anxiety of wondering if and when your position will be eliminated. Deep wisdom in how to schedule a meeting and then keep all attendees in the room for the full allotted time. Building of solid relationships while training the contract employee who will soon replace you. Watch in wonder as management survives each day under such a heavy schedule, but mysteriously has nothing to show for it. Gaze in amazement at the constant touching of bases between "leaders" at the coffee shop.

Cons

• Perception valued above knowledge, skills, and results. • Too many layers of management. What do some of these people do??? "Let's have a meeting and use business buzz words..." • Entitled behavior from leadership. • Employee Relations (HR) isn't there to help you, they protect the company. Be careful what you say to them.

Advice to Management

Keeping only those who don't disagree with you isn't the key to stopping the bleeding. One day you will have to pull your head out and look around, but you may be the only one left.

Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at Hallmark part-time

Pros

You work independently!! Easy job once you get the hang of it. Hours are flexible

Cons

Had 4 stores up until they made changes now I am down to 2. Lost many hours and the company does not care. Morale is down the toilet because of the stupid changes corporate made. Low pay and the raises are a joke. They have supervisors in charge that shouldn't be supervisors. I had the best of the best supervisor and now I don't have that person any more. They don't give you enough of hours for the work you have so most of us go over the hours.

Advice to Management

Why did you make changes? They were not for the better. They were for the worse. Many of us lost several hours. The raises are laughable. The hours are a joke. Management in corporate needs to walk the walk and see how hard we work. They would never be able to complete one job in the itty bitty hours we get.

Hallmark

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate

Pros

Employee discount. Great selection of cards. Good selection of gift items. Earn Hallmark rewards coupons with purchases when enrolled in Crown Rewards program.

Cons

Low pay, poor management, a lot of favoritism. Also inconsistent guidelines. Abusive behavior by coworkers ignored. Incompetent employees promoted. Poor working environment.

Advice to Management

Do not show favoritism. Address abusive and unprofessional behavior by employees. If you do not know how to do this get training to deal with this. Abusive and unprofessional behavior is toxic.

10. Hallmark is in the past

Current Employee - Closing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Closing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hallmark part-time

Pros

Nothing, well maybe the air conditioning but that breaks a lot

Cons

Cheap owners, customers are annoying, outdated technology, awful pay, and no compassion for employees

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, and make sure the owners aren't cheap (ex will not provide cleaning supplies but expect us to clean and dissenfect the store by using windex....)

NATIONAL/WALMART CHANGES WRECKING HAVOC IN THE FIELD!!

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Independently working, nice Walmart customers and mostly helpful WALMART store management.

Cons

Wow, where do I start. I'm going on 5 years with Hallmark and have worked through every issue of non-training and a horrible bosses. I'm going to stick with the current merger of National and Walmart. I just transferred from one territory to another and EVERYTHING is contradicting from one territory to the other. National TA's, TM and TT (Territory Trainers) are rude, abrasive, disrespectful, impatient (especially the trainers), uncooperative and unapproachable, which is causing EXTREME frustration in the field.They are writing up people for interracting with Walmart customers who are buying Hallmark product!! Seasonal signage, planograms and product is not coming in before or at a scheduled set. TA's are telling RM's to slap up anything and then having us break our backs for HOURS lasting for DAYS to reset once the product does begin to TRICKLE in and then they get upset if you ask a question or have to call them. I'm on my way out the door..this job has cost me too much and for the pay, stress and physical toll it has taken, it's just not worth it anymore.

Advice to Management

1. Get your changes in order before you mass inflict them on your workers, especially when merging national accounts into a walmart...things are not done the same in a walmart. 2. YOUR HATEFUL, RUDE AND UNAPPROACHABLE TM'S, TA'S AND NOW TT'S ARE RUNNING YOUR RMS AND RMA'S OUT THE DOOR WITH THEIR HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT STYLES AND RIDICULOUS WRITEUPS! ONCE I LEAVE I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HALLMARK PRODUCT AGAIN AND BECAUSE OF THE WAY I HAVE BEEN TREATED AFTER 4 YEARS OF EXCELLENT WORKMANSHIP, BY THESE NEW MASS PRODUCED HATEFUL PEOPLE YOU CALL "MANAGERS" MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY SWEAR THEY'LL START BUYING ALL AMERICAN GREETINGS CARDS AND PRODUCT AND NEVER ANOTHER HALLMARK ONE!! Congratulations Hallmark, you have successfully run the company in the ground and I hope you crash and burn!!

RSS Feed </> Embed