Hallmark Reviews

Reset

1. Merchandisers

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, works and trains merchandisers, part-time status for merchandisers

Cons

If you can't work around the holidays not a good fit.

Great company struggling to stay relevant in a changing market.

Former Employee - Designer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Designer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, life balance, great people, world class creative organization, on site cafeteria, medical, and gym, great creative resources, guest lecturer series, top creative talent, opportunities for growth and advancement.

All in all, Hallmark is still a good company to work for. They have many challenges ahead of them. If you get the opportunity to work there, do it! It's still a great company for experience and for your resume. Who knows, you may have a solution to make a difference.

Cons

Company is struggling to stay relevant, top heavy in management, very little up flow of ideas from people actually doing the work, leadership needs to look beyond the cardshop for the company's survival, performance feedback needs to be anonymous, internal politics, under utilization of some great creative talent.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas regardless of where they come from, reduce redundancies in management, more effective vetting of managers, empowerment is an underutilized tool, retain "keystone" positions/people with expertise in areas of value, build a vision that isn't afraid to look beyond the cardshop model. Accept the realities of the market and change. Don't shoot great ideas down because they don't align with a dated business model, change the business model.

3. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Hallmark

Pros

Great customers and 40% employee discount.

Cons

Ocasionally cut hours too low.l

Advice to Management

Pay sales associates better.

A sinking ship

Current Employee - Senior Producer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Producer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Hallmark

Pros

Ability to move from different positions and learn new skill sets. Coworkers were fantastic- many talented people there.

Cons

The company is in serious trouble. Greeting card sales continue to plummet year after year and this is their biggest revenue generator. Every year (or less) there is a mass lay-off. The corporate offices look like a cubicle ghost town these days. It's pretty depressing. Sr. management is praying for some kind of magical new product that will single handedly save the company but it never comes. Everyone else is waiting for their time to be up- there's not much hope left there unfortunately.

When new people are hired on because of their outside expertise and knowledge they are rarely listened to. I've seen many smart, innovative employees hired only to leave frustrated because they weren't allowed to contribute or they were shut down by leaders who have worked for Hallmark their entire careers. Leadership hears what they want to hear.

Hallmark's innovation died with the founder J.C. Hall in 1982. Company leadership has been stubborn and arrogant for too many years. They refused to change with the times- not accepting the changing digital landscape- clinging to ink on paper. Not sure there is much left for this company but continued lay-offs and store closings.

Advice to Management

Don't simply promote from within. Hire new leaders from the outside and listen to what they say!

6. Retail Merchandiser

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and flexible depending on accounts

Cons

Not enough room to move up and does not reward hard work with raises. Does not value length of service

Advice to Management

Place value in your current employees and reward with raises for tenure and hard work.

Great place unsteady times

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Hallmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance is important
    Great benefits
    The lunch room

Cons

The unsteady industry
    Cut backs
    Under appreciate of front line workers

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for your lower level employee that are doing way more with way less.

8. Retail Merchandiser

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Set your own hours, stores are close to you. Work is very easy for someone looking to re-enter the workforce.

Cons

Pay is very low. must work all major holidays. little supervision. The pay does not meet the expectations of the job.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees better!

9. Store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hallmark full-time

Pros

Great people i hired! 90% of customers are nice and fun.

Cons

Everything else...way more work for way less pay

Advice to Management

Pay us what we are worth and give us payroll $$

Sales clerk

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Liberty Township, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Liberty Township, OH

I worked at Hallmark

Pros

Provides wanted vacation days
    Allows you to switch shifts with another employee
    Receive all holidays off

Cons

Always made the min wage. Employer would never give raises to any employee.
    Christmas bonus was a $25 gift certificate to their own store.

Advice to Management

provide the salary an employee earns, especially when they are training new employees. I do not want to make the same amount as someone who just walked into the door, while i have 3 years of experience.

NATIONAL/WALMART CHANGES WRECKING HAVOC IN THE FIELD!!

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Independently working, nice Walmart customers and mostly helpful WALMART store management.

Cons

Wow, where do I start. I'm going on 5 years with Hallmark and have worked through every issue of non-training and a horrible bosses. I'm going to stick with the current merger of National and Walmart. I just transferred from one territory to another and EVERYTHING is contradicting from one territory to the other. National TA's, TM and TT (Territory Trainers) are rude, abrasive, disrespectful, impatient (especially the trainers), uncooperative and unapproachable, which is causing EXTREME frustration in the field.They are writing up people for interracting with Walmart customers who are buying Hallmark product!! Seasonal signage, planograms and product is not coming in before or at a scheduled set. TA's are telling RM's to slap up anything and then having us break our backs for HOURS lasting for DAYS to reset once the product does begin to TRICKLE in and then they get upset if you ask a question or have to call them. I'm on my way out the door..this job has cost me too much and for the pay, stress and physical toll it has taken, it's just not worth it anymore.

Advice to Management

1. Get your changes in order before you mass inflict them on your workers, especially when merging national accounts into a walmart...things are not done the same in a walmart.

2. YOUR HATEFUL, RUDE AND UNAPPROACHABLE TM'S, TA'S AND NOW TT'S ARE RUNNING YOUR RMS AND RMA'S OUT THE DOOR WITH THEIR HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT STYLES AND RIDICULOUS WRITEUPS! ONCE I LEAVE I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HALLMARK PRODUCT AGAIN AND BECAUSE OF THE WAY I HAVE BEEN TREATED AFTER 4 YEARS OF EXCELLENT WORKMANSHIP, BY THESE NEW MASS PRODUCED HATEFUL PEOPLE YOU CALL "MANAGERS" MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY SWEAR THEY'LL START BUYING ALL AMERICAN GREETINGS CARDS AND PRODUCT AND NEVER ANOTHER HALLMARK ONE!! Congratulations Hallmark, you have successfully run the company in the ground and I hope you crash and burn!!

RSS Feed </> Embed