Hallmark

Hallmark Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.
Don Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Very accommodating when it comes to work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• I enjoy this job because of the flexible hours (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of opportunities for working part time or from home (in 19 reviews)

• This position will always be part-time and low pay with no benefits (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for! Nice, happy environment, and coworkers were like family!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Hallmark (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, friendly coworkers and managers, got to really feel each season and holiday, gained good retail experience doing multiple tasks everyday. Was able to create my own displays! Generous employee discount. Worked there when it was a franchise, so it was very chill and not as structured as a corporate business.

Cons

The ornament wall was the worst!!!!! Was put up for half the year, was always messy and took so long to restock. Organizing and stocking cards got tedious and made the shift super slow. Shifts were kind of long, from 7-8, even 9 hours. When it was sold to corporate, 95% of staff was let go, including management.

Good place to work, bad store manager

Current Employee - Key Holder in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working with almost everybody here! The customers are great and the atmosphere for the most part is amazing.

Cons

The only downside is that the Store Manager is a really stressful person to be around and is highly competitive and tries to undermine associates so he can be at the top instead of letting others on the team shine. The one question he asks me when I have had a stressful day at school or in personal life when I first walk into the backroom, not even on the clock yet is "Where is your smile? It better be on your face when you get out to the floor or else." I have a knack for forgetting everything in my personal life once I am clocked in, but before that time, it is my personal time and I can be sad or stressed if I want to.

Promote the Assistant Manager to Store Manager because she is amazing!

Overall a good place to be

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility Benefits People. I've always enjoyed being there

Cons

Dying industry. Slow processes. Limited growth

Create structure

Corporate office politics galore, bad leadership, horrible treatment of laid off employees

Former Employee - Creative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Creative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The famous company name on your resumé.

Cons

The corporate location is the definition of "hurry up and wait," meaning that if you haven't been there for at least 20 years, you're expected to work hard but get in the back of the line for promotions and your viewpoint doesn't matter. Managers are holding on to their power with a death grip, nobody will take risks, and due to the workforce being there for decades, management protects their friends over more deserving employees. Last, if you're a current employee there, I encourage you to quit before you get laid off. Hallmark cuts off laid-off employees from the company permanently, meaning you'll never get to work with them again in the future. All of those contacts you made there will be worthless to you.

Ride that sinking ship to the end.

Director

Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hallmark has a fun atmosphere and is located in a great area in Kansas City. At Hallmark creativity rules, so if you are a creative thinker it is an interesting and engaging place to work. Hallmark is a truly iconic brand with a very compassionate family driving it's success.

Cons

Hallmark is the nicest place you will ever work, but don't turn your back because it may be a front. You are warned when you start that it is a very passive-aggressive environment and it is unfortunately. For all of the creativity there is definitely a lack of true innovation.

sales associate for Ann's Hallmark

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bettendorf, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bettendorf, IA

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great discounts, friendly environment, clean, flexible scheduling

Cons

stressful during holidays, working long hours, some work is strenuous

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toledo, OH

I worked at Hallmark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hallmark cards and products sell themselves. The customer who come in the store like nice things and are prepared to buy those little extras. Hallmark has unique cards for every occasion so customers know what they want and Hallmark always has the specific card. Specials are abounding and coupons. Customers really like that. The Hallmark brand has a high status with consumers.

Cons

Sometimes there are so many specials and coupons it is difficult to sort through all of them to make sure the customer gets the best deal and not jip the store. Another con is having to work holidays and weekends. Weekends aren't so bad but working the day before a holiday (like Christmas Eve) is a drag. But, that's retail!

Make sure that you spend time with sales associates so they are completely comfortable with the specials and coupons.

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Hallmark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company but hard to move up unless you are relocatable.

Cons

Very hard to move up

Great experience with challenging work and a great working environment

Former Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They treat their employees well and offer challenging work which is also enjoyable. They are very flexible on working schedule as long as you fit in the requirements of 40 hrs/wk and work while you are there.

Cons

There seemed to be a bit of push back in adapting to cultural changes until recently which may create challenges. Many of the employees have been with the company for many years which may explain why many of them struggle to change with the times.

Terrible place to work

I worked at Hallmark

Pros

Seeing repeat customers that you know by name.

Cons

Pay was terrible. Management was terrible.

Hallmark Photos