Hallmark Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

3.2

Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.
Don Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Hallmark has always provided great benefits and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible schedule most of the time (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of opportunities for working part time or from home (in 17 reviews)

• Upper Management & Area Manager take no responsibility for store staff or problems (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Hallmark, Only two rounds of layoffs a year

Former Employee - Engraver, Tech Designer, Production Artist  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Engraver, Tech Designer, Production Artist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You meet some great people. There's a lot of long timers and fresh minds that become great friends and co-workers. Good connections in the future after everyone jumps ship or gets laid off.
    Mediocre insurance and 401k. Hallmark's good benefits have been a myth since the 80's.
    20% off from Hall's

Cons

Work flow and bottlenecks create so much waste its laughable. They have not been successfully addressed in the entire time I, or anyone I know have worked there. You can go weeks with no work to do, and then get dumped on like they forget when Christmas is. It's not uncommon to be told there's mandatory overtime and you can't take vacation during April through July. They are shipping all design work overseas because they lose so much money during overtime. First engraving, then Production art for all hallmark cards is being made in China and India. Soon the rest of manufacturing will be gone along with the rest of design.

Short term cost cutting disappears in the long term if the core product is flawed and decisions are made out of fear.

It has been very slow.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Grandville, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grandville, MI

I have been working at Hallmark part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility and friendly coworkers and customers.

Cons

Pay, room for moving up.

A wonderful company to have worked for that has seen its bright days behind it.

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Over 20 years working in a very creative and open minded company when it came to its employees lifestyles. Cared about its employees and the Halls family so pround to work for.

Cons

It's busines unfortunately gets smaller with every grandparent that passes away. Lots of politics and business people control the creative process too much.

Let go of the card category and focus your energy on becoming relative to today's changing customer. I'm afraid too late.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun job.

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Hallmark part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun with flexibility. Able to adapt to your personal schedule. Able to use some of your personal creativity to mane your stores your own.

Cons

Disorganized. Need to have a better system for storage of product on the floor and in the back room. Some vendors are rude and uncooperative.

Improve relations with vendors.

Retail at Hallmark

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hallmark part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employee discount and having a part time job.

Cons

I was a part-time associate After Christmas had finished.

Provide training in everything the store offers to all employees, part-time or full-time, key holder or not. Post schedules for 2 weeks at a time since that's when payday occurs.

Retail merchandiser

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at Hallmark part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked for Hallmark as a retail merchandiser for ten years. Love what I do and they have been a great company to work for. I like that it is flexible. I have personally always loved cards and I like that I am helping other people find just the right card.

Cons

When I was hired I earned a decent amount above minimum wage. When the minimum wage was raised some years back, my wage did not increase accordingly. I don't know for sure but I would say the new people getting hired are probably making almost as much as I do after ten years.

There should be a way to raise the wage of someone who does a good job. I have seen a lot of merchandisers who do not care about their work get the same small raise as me.

Politics prevail over profits at this once-great company

Former Employee - Creative  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Creative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

One of the oldest and largest employers in Kansas City offers work/life balance, competitive salaries, and decent benefits. The atmosphere is polite, the work is fulfilling, and you'll be surrounded by a lot of creative, talented people. Hallmark also has a very strong internship program.

Cons

This is a third-generation family-owned company. If you are familiar with that dynamic, then I probably don't need to say much else. Hallmark's leaders are nice enough, but they have no clue as to how to lead a company that is struggling to succeed in the digital age. Hallmark also is victimized by a thick layer of management that adds nothing to the bottom line and seems to exist only to protect itself. Company politics and internal "networking" rule the day. The company is slow to make critical decisions, and there are two many executives at the top to craft a sound strategy that helps Hallmark win over younger consumers.

Sell the company to someone who has vision.

Not a bad place to work if you have no ambition.

I worked at Hallmark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Flexibility in work schedule. Working with lots of great people. Weekends off, some paid holidays. This was supposedly a great company to work for a generation ago, but, like most family run businesses, the further away from the founder you go, the further away from the founding principles.

Cons

Business is declining, management/owners taking it out on the "little guy" by freezing pay, taking away benefits and increasing work load. A lot of office politics, nepotism and management is hyper defensive in communications with employees.

Your employees aren't stupid. Just speak the truth. Don't try to sell us a pig in a poke (regarding company policy, etc.) and tell us it's great. It's insulting.

Good

I worked at Hallmark full-time

Pros

Close knit atmosphere for employees

Cons

Stop selling to big Box retailers

Good benefits, lots of politics

I worked at Hallmark full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, very family friendly, willing to do flex-time and part-time. Great training for packaged goods and retail industry. Good on work-life balance.

Cons

Lots of politics. You must play the game, their way in order to advance. Being nice is more important that results.

Worked for Hallmark? Contribute to the Community!