Halloween City

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014

3.5

Gerald C. (Gerry) Rittenberg

Pros
  • Fun environment, pizza Saturdays, dress in costumes or uniform (in 6 reviews)

• training, upper management very good at communicating, pizza saturdays, good job for a temporary worker, good pay for seasonal job, (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not working hands on in a store upper management does not see the "snow ball" effect they enable (in 5 reviews)

• Job had low pay like most general retail jobs (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Thought out system

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Tacoma, WA

Pros

Fun industry, well laid out plan to follow, fair pay, good employee discounts, very competitive pricing on products that make selling fairly easy, excellent spread of products. HC has been doing this long enough that most problems, difficulties or troublesome areas are addressed in the manual.
    If you hire good managers and staff, you don't have to spend a ton of time running the store. We had an excellent DM that was very responsive to problems and questions. He also hired a marketing person that made all the difference in the success of our location.

Cons

Some products are not up to par with the average ... they are pretty poor quality and beak easily. We had a bunch of loss/markdowns due to breakage.
    Allotted employee hours are fairly low and led to short staffing ... which leads to missed sales and increased shrinkage. Plus, no hours are allotted for training leading to unsure staff and managers having to spend a lot of time monitoring and "adjusting" sales presentation.
    GM doesn't get the manual until after the equipment/inventory gets delivered and there isn't any time to study it to make sure you are doing things according to company standards.
    In the short time that the store is open, several staff really took to sales training and became stars. However, at the end of the season, they are all gone.
    Mediocre GM training for first timers taught by mediocre, unenthusiastic staff. Experienced GMs were really the only ones that understood what they were flying through.
    Antiquated electronics that work when they want.
    This is a salaried position and while only expected to spend 40-50 hours, it isn't unusual for someone that cares about results to spend 60-70 hours.

Make GM training more "first timer" friendly and provide the manuals on the day that they are hired.
    Allow a full day before opening for full staff training on products, procedures and the sales process.
    Provide additional/better repair tools ... sewing kit for costumes, replacement stretch cord for masks, better screw drivers, better tape gun.

If you love the Halloween season this is for you.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Buford, GA

Pros

Lot of fun, flexible hours, easiest job to pick up on I swear.
    First few days were slow but that was fine because it gave me time to figure out the store's floor and by the time it got really crazy I was practically an expert.

Cons

Minimum wage, people would get hired and than figure out this job wasn't for them and just quit with no warning.
    It was hard keeping the store clean because customer's would just drop everything on the floor.
    Our store also had computer problems, a lot of computer problems.

I really think you need to keep the store open even after Halloween.
    You have a fully staffed store, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years AND Valentines day all within a month of each other.
    Why not put that space and man power to better use than just two months out of the year?

wonderful

Former Employee - Associate  in  Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Chico, CA

Pros

Good work environment, little stress, i had wonderful managers and co-workers. Very flexible inscheduling

Cons

The time is seasonal and not for an extended period of time.

Please hire wonderful managers like mine, it makes working so much more wonderful and as a result boosts sales

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun job...if your manager doesn't drive you crazy.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

Pros

Fun seasonal job, as long as you know how to handle stress well. You get a merchandise discount for working there.

Cons

Horrible management! At times, I had to do the assistant manager's job for them. Plus, we rarely got our breaks on time. Sometimes, we didn't get our breaks at all. None of us were even shown the training video until 2 weeks after we opened.

Hire managers that actually care about not breaking the law.

perfect for a first job! overall good work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Canton, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, MI

Pros

fun, easy hours, simple tasks.
    it's great getting to work with all the costumes and decorations especially if you love halloween, and/or kids. Overall its a really positive and easy place to work.

Cons

seasonal only, cheap products & no return policy make for grumpy customers.
    Alot of electronic decorations are shipped to the store already broken, because its the same unsold merchandise year to year. Which also means some costumes are torn or missing pieces.
    & if you don't like busy & hectic, this place gets crowded,.like lines literally wrapping around the store the last few days before halloween.

don't make someone a G.M. when they've literally never worked in store before, makes it very unorganzied.

Challenging Like a store in a box!

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

Good Pay, some nice perks

Cons

Seasonal, and if you cant work with little supervision its not for you.

Not good if you require a lot of direction and cant work on your own.

Good environment

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

As organized and advanced as a temporary company can be, and they are always looking for ways to improve.

Cons

Temporary environment is a necessary evil

Great Seasonal Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ

Pros

It's a part time job but extra hours are available to dedicated workers showing good work ethics. Great place to work during a fun holiday.

The store managers and district manager were great to work with and were passionate about customer satisfaction and the staff. Good teamwork amoung the associates at my store. As usual there was one bad apple in the busheI but what can you do.

I would definately work there again next season if I can espically if the management team is the same.

Cons

The number of associates could have been greater during the two weeks prior to Halloween.

A minimum of two associates are required for the fitting rooms during those weeks in my opinion. Having only one person at the fitting room easily gets overwhelmed quickly with the high volume of customers trying on costumes.

It can be physically demanding at times in certain departments, espically when truckloads of pallets of merchandise comes, but to be fair you are cautioned about it from the start.

Keep up the good work. I don't know if all locations were as good to work for as mine. I was fortunate enough to be asked to help pack up two other locations that my district manager had as well as my location (a sad day). From working with those other associates during the wrap-up it appears that they enjoyed their time there as well.

Add extra associates during the two weeks before Halloween. One for the floor and one for the fitting room.

Pick a high visibility store location. My store unfortunately had a bad location. It was a shame because it was a very large well stocked store.

Stock a larger variety animated and electrified items. Customers were asking for items, some very basic, that we did not have but should have had.

Transition from the Halloween season the Christmas season. Most all other associates I worked with, even those at the other two locations, wanted the transition and would have stayed on. I am sure we could have made money for the company as many customers were asking about it and were surprised we were not.

They throw you out on the sales floor with absolutely no knowledge

Former Employee - Temporary Store Associate  in  Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Temporary Store Associate in Orland Park, IL

Pros

-Temporary/seasonal position that ends early November: start earning money for the holidays.
    -Understandable with school hours and understands if you already have another job.

Cons

You are thrown out on the floor after watching a very dry video. You are expected to answer customer's questions. That wouldn't be a problem if they actually trained their staff. Also, while you're at the fitting rooms, you have to watch customers while making sure they don't take the entire costume out. This annoys the customers, who in turn pester the employees who cannot do anything about it.

Please train staff more! Being thrown out on the floor and unable to help customers is a painful experience.

Temp employee - and treated as such...

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Layton, UT
    Former Employee - General Manager in Layton, UT

Pros

Perfect if you love Halloween
    Lot of work / busy, not boring
    Great Employee Discount
    Can have fun working in costume!

Cons

Temp Work only.
    Infexible pay rate scale
    Cannot get 40 hours as an effort to avoid overtime
    Poor treatment - people treated as "throw-aways"
    Person called out sick once - it cost them a better position.
    Business only for the quick hit profit, do not care about "Temps"
    Poor hiring - LOCATION was in NOT place before job offer.
    HOPE you get a manager that knows how to work with people.

Worked for Halloween City? Contribute to the Community!