Halloween City

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
3.5

Gerald C. (Gerry) Rittenberg

Pros
  • Fun environment, pizza Saturdays, dress in costumes or uniform (in 6 reviews)

• training, upper management very good at communicating, pizza saturdays, good job for a temporary worker, good pay for seasonal job, (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not working hands on in a store upper management does not see the "snow ball" effect they enable (in 5 reviews)

• Job had low pay like most general retail jobs (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales assoc

I have been working at Halloween City full-time

Pros

Fun place to work at very fast paced

Cons

The store Can get very hectic

Good job to all employess abd thank you

Unprofessional

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Huntington, WV

I have been working at Halloween City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

its a paycheck near the holiday's

Cons

they don't care about their employes our store didn't even have ac/heat and the entire sales floor flooded when it rained

pick better locations

Very poor company infrastructure, employees didn't get paid on time

Current Employee - Temporary Store Associate
    Current Employee - Temporary Store Associate

I have been working at Halloween City part-time

Pros

Fellow employees were easy to work with and helpful

Cons

I, and other employees were not paid on time. The first week employees worked before official store opening, time records were not submitted correctly to payroll. Management was not helpful in remedying issue. Some employees have still not been paid though management acknowledges the hours the employees were not paid. Horrible job. Upper management doesn't understand how store is run so store managers are poorly prepared for the actual job. The theoretical expectation of how a store should be run is not consistent with how it actually goes down. The store was constantly a mess despite employees working hard on recovery due to high traffic and lack of company wanting to hire enough people to actually keep store running smoothly.

Hire more employees for high risk stores that are susceptible to shoplifting, pay employees on time or work pleasantly with those that have issues. HR was very rude an uncaring to employee issues. Learn how store works from the experience of current employees and store managers. The expectations of upper management are not reasonable with actual experiences of the workers doing the job. Maybe if morale was better among employees and they were respected company could run better.

A temporary company with no morals.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Halloween City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job. Fun environment, flexible hours.

Cons

Over the Halloween season one person stole some cash on a bank drop. They were unable to pin down the culprit so they just marked the entire store (13 people) "ineligible for rehire the following year"....talk about lazy and shady upper management that doesn't give a crap about their employees, many of the employees were amazing. They chose to throw away many innocent people for one persons poor choices.

In this country people are suppose to be innocent until proven guilty, you did the exact opposite to an entire staff, shame on you

Thought out system

Former Employee - General Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Halloween City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun industry, well laid out plan to follow, fair pay, good employee discounts, very competitive pricing on products that make selling fairly easy, excellent spread of products. HC has been doing this long enough that most problems, difficulties or troublesome areas are addressed in the manual.
    If you hire good managers and staff, you don't have to spend a ton of time running the store. We had an excellent DM that was very responsive to problems and questions. He also hired a marketing person that made all the difference in the success of our location.

Cons

Some products are not up to par with the average ... they are pretty poor quality and beak easily. We had a bunch of loss/markdowns due to breakage.
    Allotted employee hours are fairly low and led to short staffing ... which leads to missed sales and increased shrinkage. Plus, no hours are allotted for training leading to unsure staff and managers having to spend a lot of time monitoring and "adjusting" sales presentation.
    GM doesn't get the manual until after the equipment/inventory gets delivered and there isn't any time to study it to make sure you are doing things according to company standards.
    In the short time that the store is open, several staff really took to sales training and became stars. However, at the end of the season, they are all gone.
    Mediocre GM training for first timers taught by mediocre, unenthusiastic staff. Experienced GMs were really the only ones that understood what they were flying through.
    Antiquated electronics that work when they want.
    This is a salaried position and while only expected to spend 40-50 hours, it isn't unusual for someone that cares about results to spend 60-70 hours.

Make GM training more "first timer" friendly and provide the manuals on the day that they are hired.
    Allow a full day before opening for full staff training on products, procedures and the sales process.
    Provide additional/better repair tools ... sewing kit for costumes, replacement stretch cord for masks, better screw drivers, better tape gun.

If you love the Halloween season this is for you.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Buford, GA

I worked at Halloween City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lot of fun, flexible hours, easiest job to pick up on I swear.
    First few days were slow but that was fine because it gave me time to figure out the store's floor and by the time it got really crazy I was practically an expert.

Cons

Minimum wage, people would get hired and than figure out this job wasn't for them and just quit with no warning.
    It was hard keeping the store clean because customer's would just drop everything on the floor.
    Our store also had computer problems, a lot of computer problems.

I really think you need to keep the store open even after Halloween.
    You have a fully staffed store, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years AND Valentines day all within a month of each other.
    Why not put that space and man power to better use than just two months out of the year?

wonderful

Former Employee - Associate in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Chico, CA

I worked at Halloween City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work environment, little stress, i had wonderful managers and co-workers. Very flexible inscheduling

Cons

The time is seasonal and not for an extended period of time.

Please hire wonderful managers like mine, it makes working so much more wonderful and as a result boosts sales

Fun job...if your manager doesn't drive you crazy.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I worked at Halloween City part-time

Pros

Fun seasonal job, as long as you know how to handle stress well. You get a merchandise discount for working there.

Cons

Horrible management! At times, I had to do the assistant manager's job for them. Plus, we rarely got our breaks on time. Sometimes, we didn't get our breaks at all. None of us were even shown the training video until 2 weeks after we opened.

Hire managers that actually care about not breaking the law.

perfect for a first job! overall good work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, MI

I worked at Halloween City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

fun, easy hours, simple tasks.
    it's great getting to work with all the costumes and decorations especially if you love halloween, and/or kids. Overall its a really positive and easy place to work.

Cons

seasonal only, cheap products & no return policy make for grumpy customers.
    Alot of electronic decorations are shipped to the store already broken, because its the same unsold merchandise year to year. Which also means some costumes are torn or missing pieces.
    & if you don't like busy & hectic, this place gets crowded,.like lines literally wrapping around the store the last few days before halloween.

don't make someone a G.M. when they've literally never worked in store before, makes it very unorganzied.

Challenging Like a store in a box!

Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Halloween City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay, some nice perks

Cons

Seasonal, and if you cant work with little supervision its not for you.

Not good if you require a lot of direction and cant work on your own.

Halloween City Photos