Halogen Software

Halogen Software Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Paul Loucks

Mediocre - unfrindly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswork life balance available. hours were flexible. had a friendly department in my department, however the other divisions and departments did not communicate with my department

Consno company culture. really poor communication from executive management to middle management. There were limited times for input and the HR function while being recruited was poor.

Jun 9, 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

Another example of an IPO killing a great vision & culture...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsEchoing other reviews here, but individual contributors are brilliant - the commitment to customer service and intent to help always made me proud when dealing with my customers.
    It was great to be able to leave by 5 every day!
    The product and vision are excellent.
    The sense of community (both internal and external) also excellent.

ConsRapid growth without control.
    Talent Management principles/corporate vision not being applied successfully e.g. friends hiring friend, no career development or coaching happening.
    Feedback and engagement survey info being disregarded.
    Post-sales Management team lacks maturity, experience and also empathy (both for employees and customers).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat will be more important on your death bed?? The vision you had to help organizations treat employees valuably or that you made millions...
    In either case, you need to step back and acknowledge that you do not hold the skill set to take the company to the next level.
    Time to stop micromanaging and let go!
    Drive the vision (that and customer service are your only differentiators), and let new people with real-world experience run your company for you!
    p.s. i still think you missed the boat on employee engagement re ESOP!

Jun 30, 2014

Thanks for your feedback, but to be clear, your comment re no career development / coaching is false. Each and every employee at Halogen has access to a personal development plan and our employees ... More

Good Company

Software Developer (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGood health benefits, RRSP Matching

ConsSenior Dominating, Bad Senior Management

Jul 15, 2014

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company which can be a lot better!!

ProsEasy going environment
    Decent perks
    Great product
    Stable company
    Good training provided to all employees
    Weekly one-one meetings with manager
    Pizza fridays!!

ConsToo many lay-offs
    No job security
    Low salary compared to most companies in the city

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees enough chances before laying them off. For all the efforts made to enhance customer experience and customer retention, some of it should also go towards employee retention (better compensation)

Jul 21, 2014

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it

Brilliantly disorganized

ProsFriendly people at the lower ranks
    Alternative week pizzas, euchre games.

ConsLack of direction in terms of road map.
    Bias to action is one of the core values- Management has no bias to action. Brilliant in blaming/firing people.
    Brilliant in forcing the employees to take some random surveys just to show the lower ranks that they are in an awesome company
    Brilliant in paying sub par salaries and salary hikes

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sensitive to your employee needs. Your actions are reflecting in the stock price.
    Use less of Brilliance and more bias to action.

Jun 24, 2014

Thanks for your feedback.

Below Average company to work for----to be avoided.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Prosregular pay check, good friends, hard to think of any really
    Christmas Party

ConsNo stock options being offered even almost 1 year after IPO
    20% to 30% below average market SALARIES
    Management team very incompetent.....Directors who have no idea on how to lead people....
    Just promoted internally very incompetent individuals for sales manager roles....friends of friends...drinking buddies etc....other highly qualified internal candidates never got a shot.
    Too much of a Country Club atmosphere within the Senior Managers and VP's group.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your stock option payouts and go on vacation...hire an entirely new team from CEO down....including most Directors.

May 5, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Although I can’t speak in detail in regards to specific personnel decisions, I am confident in our leadership team and would like to highlight that we have a robust ... More

Growing more disappointed

Pros-employees at the individual contributor level are top notch. Sales, Support, IC ect are all great people and seem to care of the work, and the client base.
    -relaxed environment even though there is a lot of work.
    -all hand quarterly meetings does attempt to have transparency on the direction of the company.
    -good community involvement

Cons-Halogen HR are not advocates for the employee base. They are tools used by Management only to weed out the apparent weak links. While they have tons of training and motivational diatribes to the contrary, it is only smoke and mirrors. They will sneak around behind closed doors scheming, while telling the employee all is great. They do not fight for the rights of the employee.

-I have personally witnessed an employee get awarded for a great year, only to be let go a few quarters later for having a few bad months. He was never told that there was an issue with the quality of the work, only that they wanted this person to do better next quarter. Documented 1v1 with his manager where positive. Notes from VP even stated that they were positive that he can get back on track , and offered resources to help, only to let him go 2 weeks later.

Yet one manager who's departments quality has gone down every quarter in customer audits over the past 2 years, tons of staffing issues and moral that is nonexistent, was promoted twice.

-Too many managers there do now want to put in the effort in to be transparent and honest. They let employees feel the work is at or above par, then blind side them when they want to get rid of them. They have meetings to plan how to put these employees in position to fail.

Once removed removed that employee becomes the source of jokes with the management team openly soon as they are gone.

-The culture they promote and laud over all other businesses, is great sounding in the news clippings, but falls short in practice. Moral has been on the downward swing for a few years.

-Company has gone from private to public, they have release sub par software knowingly, as the push for more features trumps their once reliable quality.

Apr 6, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it. Some of your comments are particularly troubling however. I cannot speak in detail re specific personnel decisions, but I assure you that we in no way ... More

Great culture, work/life balance, and challenging work projects

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat product (customer love it!), growing rapidly (exciting!)
    Engaged employees (most, though not all)
    Fast paced and challenging work environment
    Smart, intelligent team mates (dare I say brilliant)
    Smart executive team

ConsCompany is going through growing pains as it expands since going public. Some executives still challenged with people management (though to their credit, they're working on it).

Advice to Senior ManagementAct on feedback employees provide as it's legitimate. Listening just doesn't cut it.

May 1, 2014

We appreciate your feedback, thanks!

Excellent!

ProsHR screening and management questions were fairly straight forward. Just be yourself and you'll do fine.

ConsThe personality test they make you do is stressful! Especially if like me you over think your answers. After seeing my results I really wonder how valid it is because it couldn't have been more wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new test! :)

Mar 10, 2014

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it. :)

If you hire Brilliant people, let them be briliant

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros1. Strong culture for developing talent. Lots of courses and opportunities.
    2. Executive, most of them, are strong and support their teams
    3. Strong ideals
    4. Some brilliant employees

Cons1. Below average pay
    2. Lack of trust
    3. Risk adverse
    4. Don't practice what they preach
    5. Don't give the brilliant employees room, budgets or time to be briliant

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people you've hired to make the right decisions for the company.

Feb 24, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

Worked for Halogen Software? Contribute to the Community!