Hamilton Brook Smith & Reynolds, P.C.

www.hbsr.com
  www.hbsr.com

Hamilton Brook Smith & Reynolds, P.C. Reviews

Updated May 15, 2014
Updated May 15, 2014
2.7

John L. DuPré

Interesting work, good clients, great experience

I have been working at Hamilton Brook Smith & Reynolds, P.C. for more than a year

Pros

New office in Seaport District, Boston

Cons

Working with attorneys and supervisors in two offices is sometimes a challenge

Unpleasant Work Environment

Former Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Hamilton Brook Smith & Reynolds, P.C. full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want exposure to patent prosecution, this firm has a relatively extensive and thorough training program.

Cons

The firm's culture is not geared towards making staff feel valued or an integral part of the team. Many partners feel that when one staff person leaves, another one is waiting at the door to be hired. This philosophy does not encourage any loyalty on the part of the staff. The work environment often times feels like that of a factory and partners do not show much appreciation to staff members.

Until management (partners) realize that staff members need to be shown appreciation for their expertise and the high quality of work that they provide to the firm's clients, the firm will continue to loose members of its staff.

Extremely demanding of employees... new hires in particular

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Concord, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

I worked at Hamilton Brook Smith & Reynolds, P.C.

Pros

Good benefits are offered including free medical and dental for single employees
    Completely smoke free environment - cannot even smoke in your automobile

Cons

No room for learning curve - management has extremely high expectations of new employees
    must come with complete and thorough knowledge of their way of doing things
    very unforgiving place to work
    very low morale

Please express your unreasonably high expections during the Interview process...don't wait until the employee is hired!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most dysfunctional place I ever worked

Pros

The benefits are great and lots of the people there are nice. I'm sure certain employees find it a challenging (in a good way) workplace. I very much enjoyed many of the attorneys and technology specialists I worked with.

Cons

Management of the company is poor. The CEO continues to keep managers who are managers in name only. Change is extremely difficult and certain departments experience high turnover due to this poor management - especially in the IT department. Big egos should be tamed to minimize the workplace bullying I witnessed.

My advice to management is to actually manage. You have some fantastic potential, but my experience there was to watch a lot of spinning wheels with no progress and some big egos misdirect some good initiatives. Also, listen to the advice of the audit - there was some valid advice given.

The most dysfunctional experience of my life

I have been working at Hamilton Brook Smith & Reynolds, P.C. full-time

Pros

Some of the people are really nice

Cons

Unprofessional management. Unrealistic expectations. Constantly reversing demands. Micromanaged to the point of being completely paralyzed. HR has no power over the other managers so there's no recourse when being harassed. Expected to work through lunch. No boundaries. No opportunity for advancement.

Hire professionals to run your non-legal departments. If you insist on retaining these so-called professionals invest in some management training courses.

Talented people, interesting work assignments, generous benefits!

I have been working at Hamilton Brook Smith & Reynolds, P.C.

Pros

The firm provides a lot of training and support for support staff. Legal staff are treated as professionals and able to telecommute and manage their own schedules. Inclusive culture, generous benefits (including Firm payed individual health/dental insurance), friendly co-workers. Nice location, top notch training, ability to get hands on experience at a junior level for legal staff. Ability to contribute and work directly with Principles early on in career.

Cons

Firm currently located in Concord, so this makes for a great commute and free parking for some, but not easily accessible by public transportation.

Worked for Hamilton Brook Smith & Reynolds, P.C.? Contribute to the Community!