Hamilton Company

Hamilton Company Reviews in Reno, NV

3.1

Steven Hamilton

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place in general to work

Former Employee - Accounting Department in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Accounting Department in Reno, NV

I worked at Hamilton Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office hours are great

Cons

All of the "Dilbert" cubicles kinda suck.

“The Emperor without cloths”

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Hamilton Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful View of the Sierra Nevada Mountains
    No pressure to learn
    There is always job openings
    There are no parking problems

Cons

The owner makes all decisions. Most privately held companies operate this way. However most owners usually understand the markets they are selling into. This owner does not and makes decisions "from the hip"
    Huge disfunction between departments
    High turnover rate

This is not a derogatory statement, simply true: One cannot give advice to management. If their product and market opinions differ from that of the owner their employment is usually short. This severely limits innovation and the motivation to excel.

Disappointing in the end....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Hamilton Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At one point in time the company seemed to be like a large family, and was happy to take care of it's employees.

It is privately owned, vacation and sick time are reasonable. Work hours are good, 10 holidays a year are also good.

The company continues to grow and prosper, offering a little bit of stability.

Cons

Have worked there for 15+ years I noticed a lack of loyalty towards long term employees. Many employees who had been there for 20+ years were forced to retire or flat out let go. As the company revamped, they seemed to prefer new blood to those who had been loyal. Perhaps in order to save some money.

As another posted said, it is very much a country club environment, when you are "in" you're good, but if you don't fit in, it is not a pleasant experience.

Management is not open to suggestion and communication is poor.

Databases and computer systems are very dated, and they are border line paranoid on who can know what.

Communication is key. Talk to your employees. Help them. Don't allow for such a club feel. Update computer systems. Manman is so dated.

The Power of ONE MAN at the Hamilton Company

Current Employee - Operations/Logistics Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Operations/Logistics Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Hamilton Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The owner of this company is run by a very intelligent, kind, generous man. Mr. Hamilton runs this company in a very financially sound way. He believes in work life balance. Very family oriented with outstanding job stability. If you perform well and want stability this is the place to come. Employees really feel like they make a difference here. Steve Hamilton started this company with his father over 50 years ago. His enthusiasm and commitment are contagious. Our continuous growth is due to the strength and commitment of this one great man! Mr. Hamilton's longterm legacy will be the commitment he has to his employees. He is respected amongst all!

Cons

We are an industry leader in design and manufacturing of liquid handling. Over the years our success hasn't always sat well with others. We have had people leave the company in frustration because they could not handle the rapid growth. Growing pains are sometimes felt deep. They latter looked back at our success year after year and wish that they hadn't left. They lash out and critize the company. We are sorry that they didn't stick it out, in all successful people there are some key attributes.....self confident, positive person, outstanding performer, dynamic communicator, interpersonally competent! They didn't seem to have these attributes. If they want to run with the stallions at Hamilton they must have these key attributes! We only hire the best!

Stick with it, it will only get better!!!

Good company just did not care for the environment

Former Employee - Engineer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at Hamilton Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable, very professional. Very dry.

Cons

People are assets, you are there to work not to have fun. In on time get out on time.

Nothing. It just did not fit me.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Hamilton Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at Hamilton Company for over 15 years and I love my job. The opportunity for growth is available based on performance and aptitude. The people working at Hamilton are dedicated and committed to producing quality products, and meeting our customer's requirements and expectations. Management recognizes individuals personally and company wide for performance and length of service. Great company, great place to work.

Cons

Increase production capacity to meet required ship dates.

Improve communication to all departments.

Miserable, Toxic enviroment

I worked at Hamilton Company

Pros

Innovative and hi-tech manufacturing and development. Hamilton has the capability to be in business for decades. Creative and intelligent staff.

Cons

Toxic enviroment. Miserable employees. No teamwork. This is not a company of people with characteor accountability. Ancient database operations with no foreseable change. Staff is made of up family...generations in all departments and friends. The professional atmosphere is like a country club in which you need to belong. Most managers are unprofessional including the HR Department. Geat reality TV option here. No professional opportunities to advance. Ask about the turnover rate. If you are dependable, intelligent, creative with a positive attitude you will find yourself looking for another job.

Hi-tech manufacturing and development. Hi-tech for all the handheld devises being openly used in meetings. Old fashioned and not forward thinking. You have to go back 20 years to work in this office. Customer service is lacking.

Start fresh. Current management and software will ultimately ruin this company.

Professional should avoid this company at all costs!

I worked at Hamilton Company

Pros

Great industry and the company was untouched by the recession. I was proud of the products we produced an the positive impact we made in the overall scheme of things.

Cons

This company is successful in spite of themselves. They have very manual processes and it is amazing at the amount of time that is wasted working around the limitations of their antiquates systems.

The management is extremely dysfunctional. Some groups seem to have very professional leadership while others were among the worst managers I've seen in my 20+ year career.

They have no funded business continuation plan, which is a pending death sentence for a privately held company with unprofessional senior leadership.

They won't listen so all I can say is I'd be interested in working there after the company changes hands and the new owners clean out of the toxic individuals currently running the place. Sad!

The Good the bad and the ugly

I worked at Hamilton Company

Pros

It is tough to find a job in Reno and it was an okay Co. to work at for a bunch of years then it went south.

Cons

When the owner decides something it is useless to discuss any other view as he is always right even when he has no idea what he is doing or what the customer needs.

Know what you sell and give a little more to your associates. You have everything you will ever need. Lots of cars boat and aircraft. Substance in assocites is more valuable than flash and good looks.

Terrible place to work

I have been working at Hamilton Company

Pros

Has a division in Switzerland, and if you are lucky, you can get a free trip to the really nice facility in Switzerland and get some rest and relaxation in.

Cons

Worst company in the world. Has no concept of modern research and development practices across all divisions. Hostile to new ideas. Scared of change. The CEO insists on making all decisions, yet has no expertise in anything other than accounting. Company is dying.

Quit. Do not seek other employment. Do not clutter up the labor pool with your stupidity. Please, you bring absolutely no value to this planet.