Hamline University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Linda Hanson

Excellence in Academic Development and Freedom to Innovate

ProsFlexibility and freedom to experiment

ConsLimited resources compared to larger research institutions

Advice to Senior ManagementTop-level management needs to concede daily operational control and earmarked budgets to the departments that need them.

I really enjoyed my work-study position at Hamline; it gave me great working experience.

Hamline Work Study (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsHamline is a very diverse campus that offers a great learning experience. Having a work-study job on campus was a rewarding experience, and I made plenty of valuable connections.

ConsSometimes I didn't know what was expected of me in terms of what I should be doing at any given moment.

Private College in Minnesota

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsHardworking group of dedicated employees with sincere interest in students education and college experience. Your opinion matters and there are many opportunities for university wide involvement.

ConsThere are limited avenues for career advancement. Private colleges have suffered in recent years with the downturn of the economy and money is always tight.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wild, Wild West

(Current Employee)

ProsIf you can last for a year and a half, you can take four credits per semester tuition free, but that is likely to change in the future. You used to be able to take credits for free from day one. If the course is during the work day, good luck getting your supervisor to give you permission to attend.

Each department has a lot of autonomy, so you don't really need to worry as much about spending money on coffee and your department can run things contrary to the rest of the university, if it pleases. You will also be punished (or not punished) departmentally for infractions.

ConsUndergraduate admissions is a *hit show. If your position interacts with undergraduate admissions, set your goals low to ensure you won't be very disappointed when even those basic expectations aren't met.
    Human resources is a *hit show. Good luck trying to find written policy about many of the things that are important to you. Some things are there and some things aren't written down.
    Since departments are so autonomous, less work gets done across the university and you have to battle with getting things done across departmental lines.
    Be wary of undocumented "certificate courses" from School of Education, which went undocumented by this university's registrar.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that you are ready to handle all of the in-fighting and territorial-ism. Don't skimp on hiring experts rather than recent graduates.

A good place to work

ProsThe atmosphere is laid back and people are friendly. Fast paced Marketing Department but totally manageable. Their systems could use updating though.

ConsOld building to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management is doing a great job.

Relaxing work environment, but no room to grow.

IT Systems Integrator (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsVery few deadlines, comfortable self-paced daily work and projects, friendly co-workers and understanding of work/life balance. Also decent pay/stress ratio, great place to work if you just want to do your job, stay under the radar and live your own life.

ConsPositions are quite confined. You are encouraged to only do the work requested of your position and there is no room to grow, transfer, or be promoted as each position is similarly filled and there is little turn over. As such there isn't much industry expertise so you won't be learning a lot of new skills. Also, benefits have been trimmed quite a bit during 2012-2013.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate some incentive paths and promotion opportunities. Implement some projects from out of the box thinkers.

great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

Prospeople there are nice to work with

Consnot any cons that I can think of

Amazing coworkers; disappointing experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsWorked directly with extremely passionate, committed and creative people. The higher education environment offers many perks, including better benefits than many organizations; tuition breaks; health and wellness resources and promotions; a close-knit community

ConsMismanagement by upper administration led to mass layoffs, irresponsible spending, turnover, and low morale campus wide. Management does not listen to or support employees; human resources is ineffective.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from past mistakes; be transparent; trust your employees, support and listen to their concerns. Work together versus pitting managers against one another. There are too many people on top; not enough on the bottom. Invest in those that do the work.

It was a nice easy place for school

ProsClasses are small and the professors really do care about you and your studies. Study abroad options are broad and the experience was great.

ConsIt is very expensive and the housing can be ridiculous. Security is more or less a joke. The campus food is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo have the president and the board to actually listen to the student and think more of them than themselves.

Institution finding an identity.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsOpportunity to gain experience across campus.

ConsLots of top down management.
    Work life balance is difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementSome great leaders in the administration, but would like to see more input from the greater university.

Worked for Hamline University? Contribute to the Community!