Hamline University

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Director, Dining  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Director, Dining in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Hamline University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The colleagues, campus environment, and location in the middle of the city were all great.

Cons

Financial difficulties in the organization created a stressful environement.

Doing well overall, but need to bring in more money somehow....

Excellence in Academic Development and Freedom to Innovate

I have been working at Hamline University as a contractor

Pros

Flexibility and freedom to experiment

Cons

Limited resources compared to larger research institutions

Top-level management needs to concede daily operational control and earmarked budgets to the departments that need them.

I really enjoyed my work-study position at Hamline; it gave me great working experience.

Former Employee - Hamline Work Study  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Hamline Work Study in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Hamline University as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Hamline is a very diverse campus that offers a great learning experience. Having a work-study job on campus was a rewarding experience, and I made plenty of valuable connections.

Cons

Sometimes I didn't know what was expected of me in terms of what I should be doing at any given moment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Private College in Minnesota

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Hamline University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hardworking group of dedicated employees with sincere interest in students education and college experience. Your opinion matters and there are many opportunities for university wide involvement.

Cons

There are limited avenues for career advancement. Private colleges have suffered in recent years with the downturn of the economy and money is always tight.

Wild, Wild West

I have been working at Hamline University full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you can last for a year and a half, you can take four credits per semester tuition free, but that is likely to change in the future. You used to be able to take credits for free from day one. If the course is during the work day, good luck getting your supervisor to give you permission to attend.

Each department has a lot of autonomy, so you don't really need to worry as much about spending money on coffee and your department can run things contrary to the rest of the university, if it pleases. You will also be punished (or not punished) departmentally for infractions.

Cons

Undergraduate admissions is a *hit show. If your position interacts with undergraduate admissions, set your goals low to ensure you won't be very disappointed when even those basic expectations aren't met.
    Human resources is a *hit show. Good luck trying to find written policy about many of the things that are important to you. Some things are there and some things aren't written down.
    Since departments are so autonomous, less work gets done across the university and you have to battle with getting things done across departmental lines.
    Be wary of undocumented "certificate courses" from School of Education, which went undocumented by this university's registrar.

Ensure that you are ready to handle all of the in-fighting and territorial-ism. Don't skimp on hiring experts rather than recent graduates.

A good place to work

I have been working at Hamline University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is laid back and people are friendly. Fast paced Marketing Department but totally manageable. Their systems could use updating though.

Cons

Old building to work in.

New management is doing a great job.

Relaxing work environment, but no room to grow.

Former Employee - IT Systems Integrator  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - IT Systems Integrator in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Hamline University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very few deadlines, comfortable self-paced daily work and projects, friendly co-workers and understanding of work/life balance. Also decent pay/stress ratio, great place to work if you just want to do your job, stay under the radar and live your own life.

Cons

Positions are quite confined. You are encouraged to only do the work requested of your position and there is no room to grow, transfer, or be promoted as each position is similarly filled and there is little turn over. As such there isn't much industry expertise so you won't be learning a lot of new skills. Also, benefits have been trimmed quite a bit during 2012-2013.

Create some incentive paths and promotion opportunities. Implement some projects from out of the box thinkers.

great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Hamline University part-time

Pros

people there are nice to work with

Cons

not any cons that I can think of

Amazing coworkers; disappointing experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Hamline University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked directly with extremely passionate, committed and creative people. The higher education environment offers many perks, including better benefits than many organizations; tuition breaks; health and wellness resources and promotions; a close-knit community

Cons

Mismanagement by upper administration led to mass layoffs, irresponsible spending, turnover, and low morale campus wide. Management does not listen to or support employees; human resources is ineffective.

Learn from past mistakes; be transparent; trust your employees, support and listen to their concerns. Work together versus pitting managers against one another. There are too many people on top; not enough on the bottom. Invest in those that do the work.

It was a nice easy place for school

I have been working at Hamline University full-time

Pros

Classes are small and the professors really do care about you and your studies. Study abroad options are broad and the experience was great.

Cons

It is very expensive and the housing can be ridiculous. Security is more or less a joke. The campus food is terrible.

To have the president and the board to actually listen to the student and think more of them than themselves.

Worked for Hamline University? Contribute to the Community!