Hampton City School District

Add Photos

Patrick Russo

Great job opportunities

Hampton, VA

I have been working at Hampton City School District full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery positive leadership by directors.

ConsSalaries are stagnant due to budget issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better career advancement opportunities.

A good school district to substitute for

Substitute (Former Employee)

I worked at Hampton City School District part-time for less than a year

ProsVery organized teachers and helpful office staff, good substitute job availability system, well managed lunch rooms, detailed crisis management plans.

ConsVery large class sizes with very few if no paras for such large early elementary classes, not enough training for substitutes.

Great learning experience, not a great place to work

Hampton, VA

I have been working at Hampton City School District full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInvestments in upgrading technology access for teachers and students. Professional development opportunities and the school system has networked with local, state and national history, science and academic organizations to allow teachers to earn continuing education credits for recertification, often at no cost to them.

ConsHampton is quick to freeze teacher pay, cut teacher salaries, and cut out essential support personnel due to budget issues. There are no longer Instructional assistants for any elementary grades besides kindergarten and next year, the hours of those instructional assistants may be cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe principals of the schools set the work climate in each building. There are some who make their buildings a very unhealthy environment. They seem to go unchecked, while they wreck the morale in the building and the mental, physical and emotional health of their staff. When climate surveys come out, if the results do not flatter them, things only get more tense. Since nothing is actually improved as a result of the climate surveys, teachers and staff decide to just respond to the surveys in a way that will minimize the fall out, rather than giving honest feedback. If you see that as soon as a principal starts in a building, a significant percentage of the teaching staff decides to transfer out of that building that they have been working in for years, it is definitely a signal that that principal is a problem. When you see people who always had favorable evaluations getting lesser scores, it may not be that the teachers performance is slipping. Also when people go to HR and say that they are being bullied at work by the administrator, realize that each person who reports such abuse represents more than themselves. They are just the one out of ten or more with the fortitude to come forward, while others are suffering silently and just trying to wait that person out.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Like Family

I have been working at Hampton City School District

ProsGreat team of people to work with in my school. Very helpful staff. Everyone pitches in and looks out for each other. Great benefits and average teacher pay. Treated professionally.

ConsDue to the economy few raises in the last few years. Hires a lot of admin from outside of district instead of within.

If this was a business, it would be bankrupt and sued by customers

I have been working at Hampton City School District full-time

ProsSome of my fellow employees are nice.

ConsNo management whatsoever at my school

I love working for Hampton.

Hampton, VA

I have been working at Hampton City School District full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLots of support from downtown.

ConsPay is a little low for area.

Long-term SLP Substitute experience at Hampton City Schools

Long-term SLP Substitute (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hampton City School District

ProsGood experience; good pay for a long-term substitute.

Consno benefits, there isn't an option to renew contract unless there is a need.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have advice or feedback to offer to the leadership at Hampton City School district.

Great Company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hampton City School District full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had a great experience working with HCS

ConsThe pay is about average.

between good and fair

I have been working at Hampton City School District

ProsThe staff is very friendly, thoughtful, and approachable. They are willing to go far and beyond to help. They do their best to treat you as a family. They provide teachers with ample technology such as lap tops.

ConsRestructuring of the system has caused a lot of disorganization. Limited funds have caused job descriptions/work loads to be spread all positions too thin, from custodians to teachers. This causes less success for the students.

Advice to Senior ManagementReading programs need to begin in the Head start programs and consistently follow the students with special education needs and general education students. Programs that incorporate computers and student and teacher direct teaching time.

Worked for Hampton City School District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hampton City School District reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hampton City School District CEO Patrick Russo. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Hampton City School District employees.