Hampton Inn

Updated August 16, 2014

3.7

Hampton Inn President & CEO Hilton Worldwide Christopher J. Nassetta
Christopher J. Nassetta

Pros
  • You get to hone your customer service skills and have fun at the same time (in 8 reviews)

• The employee discount is nice but I never used it (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, they made it very clear that there is no room for moving up or benefits at this job (in 9 reviews)

• I did not see any room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Easy job but not flexible

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Easy job with lots of down time if you work graveyard.

Cons

The schedule are not very flexible, most people are on set schedules which is fine if that's what you are looking for but don't expect much approved time off without getting some criticism since no one wants to work beyond their set schedule.

Make staff more aware that they need to somewhat be flexible with their coworkers.

ok, could be a lot better.

Pros

Good work environment, good trainers, lots of overtime.

Cons

Do not take suggestions, very low pay for all the work that needs to be done. Very high turnover. No advancement for career.

Front Desk College Student

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in New Orleans, LA

Pros

a lot of downtime, flexible work schedules depending on management, loved meeting new people everyday and seeing all of the regulars who appreciate what we do, management empowered us to make decisions and usually promoted autonomy, all of my coworkers were very friendly and easy to get along with. Hamptonality very present within my hotel. Able to hone in on multiple career based skills, customer service, multitasking, communication, organization, managerial skills, and many more

Cons

pay not consistent, no raises even after years of employment, medical insurance offered but cost is to high to afford it on hourly wages, standing in one spot for 8 hours with little to no breaks, angry guests are very unreasonable. If you can not handle someone who is yelling at you, do not work for a hotel. PERIOD.

If you are going to offer full time benefits such as medical insurance, paid time off, sick days.. make it easy for your employees to take advantage of them. Otherwise, they are a useless gesture. I could not afford any of the medical plans offered because I was not paid enough hourly. I also could not take advantage of my sick days due to the "two days off" policy. Worked for the company for two years, was sick once or twice. Could not take a sick day due to policy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Goals & Team Support

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

Very knowledgeable GM and supportive Desk Staff. Great Brand recognition, easy sell due to location and major tourist destination.

Cons

No Support from Casino Staff. Rates above competition making it difficult to attract new tour business. Lots of competitors that are newer with lower rates. Winter time - tough sell for meetings and groups.

Spend time in sales talking with customers to better understand the issues that keep the company from increasing revenue. Group rates need to be more flexible, need perks or incentives to offer groups, meeting planners, etc.

From a Manager

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Meridian, MS
    Former Employee - General Manager in Meridian, MS

Pros

Training and support are amazing

Cons

always open, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year

Breakfast attendant

Current Employee - Breakfast Attendant  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Breakfast Attendant in Louisville, KY

Pros

Time flies by, good friendly coworkers, calm relaxing atmosphere.

Cons

Takes a while getting everything put away after your shift ends since so few people work in the breakfast area at the same time.

Keep up the good work. Maybe have at least 3 people working breakfast the whole time.

Hardwork

Former Employee - Executive Housekeeper  in  Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Housekeeper in Syracuse, NY

Pros

Flexible management, opportunities for advancement, competitive pay and benefits. I enjoyed working there, it was defiantly a family environment.

Cons

Old building and facility, hard to keep employees.

Great but not for me

Former Employee - Housekeeper  in  Mehlville, MO
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Mehlville, MO

Pros

One hour break broken up into two 15 min breaks and one 30 min break.
    Snacks for sale at work haha.
    Once in a while you'll get a 1 or 2 dollar tip, sometimes even more, but not often.
    Benefits and discounts on certain hotels.

Cons

It was hard for me to have the correct uniform and they did not give me one of the new shirts.
    It is labor, so if you can't push heavy carts or deal with strain on back then jobs not for you.
    You get a list of rooms to clean, its really not easy to get them all done fast enough sometimes based on if people are still in their room, or have it dirtier than others, it really slows you down, so you don't know when you will be off work, its based off when your done with your list of rooms.

Breakfast Attendant

Former Employee - Breakfast Attendant  in  Alice, TX
    Former Employee - Breakfast Attendant in Alice, TX

Pros

I loved to talk to the customers and get to know the regular people that stayed.

Cons

I did not see any room for advancement. I did not like the negative atmosphere of negativity. The pay was horrible for the amount of work they expect from you.

Give promotions when they are due. Better leadership and structure would have kept me there longer. Be more understanding about family emergencies.

Fun job for those interested in hospitality

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Memphis, TN

Pros

Working at Hampton Inn was a great experience. Prior to this job, I had no idea that I would love the hospitality field so much. You get to hone your customer service skills and have fun at the same time. There are extra perks such as team member discounts on Hilton brand hotels all over the world.

Cons

Bad hours if you work anything other than first shift. Low pay for front desk agent.

Stay connected with your employees. They have valuable input as they are the eyes and ears of your location.

Worked for Hampton Inn? Contribute to the Community!