Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board

Not yet rated.

Kathyn Roody

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

HNNCSB - Employer of Choice in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia

Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Hampton, VA

ProsHampton-Newport News Community Services Board provides the following to their employees and the clients they serve:
    1. Being a premier provider of mental health services in so many different aspects. This helps the employees feel proud of what they do and how it improves the lives of the clients we serve.
    2. Finding ways to make employees feel valued -- most recent example: the implementation of eLearning so ALL employees can improve their professional/clinical skills at no cost.
    3. Good communication -- a dedicated website for all CSB employees; open lines of communication between all levels of management and line staff.

ConsI have worked at HNNCSB for over 6 months now. I honestly can state that I don't see any serious downside to working for this organization. Like any organization in these economic times, budgetary concerns impact employees from time to time but does not compromise care to our clients. The only downside may be the number of programs and employees keeps us from knowing each other as much as we would like. But even then, there are employee functions/events to bring us all together such as the 4th of July picnic.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the GREAT work and I am proud to work for such a quality organization.

Politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Hampton, VA

ProsDecent benefits package, some departments are better than others.

ConsPolitics, politics, politics! Senior management is out of touch, it is generally a good old boys/girls network. Middle management/supervisors tend to be the ones that have been there decades, whether they are qualiied to lead or not. They continue doing things the way they have always done it, whether it is destructive or violates state policy until they are caught by the state. If someone on the lower level brings violations or better ways to do someting to their attention, they either ignore it or put a target on that person's back.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some good employees who truly want things done more efficiently that are thrown under the bus by old timer supervisors who just want to coast until they can collect their VRS benefits.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Only cares about how things look - don't care about people who live here or work here.

Community Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Hampton, VA

Proshas very good insurance, training and other perks such as gym memberships at reduced rates
    has better pay than other companies who provide services to the disabled

ConsI've been working here for about 4 years. The company used to care about the individuals who lived here - making sure that their rights were protected and that person centered options were used. Now, we are told "they don't really know what their rights are so just do what I told you to do." Individuals are no longer able to decorate their bedrooms as they like it. The new supervisor has thrown out a lot of personal items which made the individuals upset (understandably!!). And when those that had family asked about it, she stated "Oh, I don't know what havppened - staff must have accidently thrown it out!!" It's very frustrating. Also, new supervisor is trying to get rid of those individuals who might be "trouble" such those who have mobility problems and those with behavioral issues (which have increased drastically since she started because she makes them do things they don't want to do such as go on outings). Also, the company has started transferring staff who have been at residences for a long time and sending them to a new house saying that they don't want the employees to get "too comfortable." However, they do not take into consideration that the people who live in these houses sometimes have no family involvement and look at staff as their family. Moving staff is causing a lot of problems in the homes. HNNCSB also doesn't care how these moves are afftecting staff. They are making staff take positions that interfer with other aspects of life. For example, making a staff person who had a Sun - Wed morning shift position and moving them to a Wed - Sat evening shift position and not caring that this person has a second job. HNNCSB is not flexible - their position is "too bad, if you don't like it, you can leave."
    So my advice - if all you care about is pay and benefits, then HNNCSB is your place to work. But if you actually care about the people you service, than stay clear!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to change. You are loosing good staff and you will lose more. If all you care about is the bottom line, then you need to get into a different line of work.

Worked for Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board reviews and ratings in Hampton, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board CEO Kathyn Roody. All reviews posted anonymously by Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board employees.