Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board

HNNCSB - Employer of Choice in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia

Current Employee - Treatment Coordinator in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Treatment Coordinator in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board

Pros

Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board provides the following to their employees and the clients they serve:
    1. Being a premier provider of mental health services in so many different aspects. This helps the employees feel proud of what they do and how it improves the lives of the clients we serve.
    2. Finding ways to make employees feel valued -- most recent example: the implementation of eLearning so ALL employees can improve their professional/clinical skills at no cost.
    3. Good communication -- a dedicated website for all CSB employees; open lines of communication between all levels of management and line staff.

Cons

I have worked at HNNCSB for over 6 months now. I honestly can state that I don't see any serious downside to working for this organization. Like any organization in these economic times, budgetary concerns impact employees from time to time but does not compromise care to our clients. The only downside may be the number of programs and employees keeps us from knowing each other as much as we would like. But even then, there are employee functions/events to bring us all together such as the 4th of July picnic.

Keep up the GREAT work and I am proud to work for such a quality organization.

Program Assistant

I worked at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great position to work in. Assisting others to obtain a better way of living.

Cons

Organization is not very honest with staff.

Great way to gain experience in the behavioral health field.

Former Employee - Case Manager in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Hampton, VA

I worked at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In certain positions, you may have the freedom to make your own schedule and see your clients at times that work best for you.

Cons

Pay isn't that great. Should be way more for what you are responsible for and the number of cases assigned to you.

Increase your pay or h ire more employees to divide up some of the caseloads and job tasks.

Politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

I worked at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package, some departments are better than others.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics! Senior management is out of touch, it is generally a good old boys/girls network. Middle management/supervisors tend to be the ones that have been there decades, whether they are qualiied to lead or not. They continue doing things the way they have always done it, whether it is destructive or violates state policy until they are caught by the state. If someone on the lower level brings violations or better ways to do someting to their attention, they either ignore it or put a target on that person's back.

There are some good employees who truly want things done more efficiently that are thrown under the bus by old timer supervisors who just want to coast until they can collect their VRS benefits.

Only cares about how things look - don't care about people who live here or work here.

Current Employee - Community Service Associate in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Community Service Associate in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board

Pros

has very good insurance, training and other perks such as gym memberships at reduced rates
    has better pay than other companies who provide services to the disabled

Cons

I've been working here for about 4 years. The company used to care about the individuals who lived here - making sure that their rights were protected and that person centered options were used. Now, we are told "they don't really know what their rights are so just do what I told you to do." Individuals are no longer able to decorate their bedrooms as they like it. The new supervisor has thrown out a lot of personal items which made the individuals upset (understandably!!). And when those that had family asked about it, she stated "Oh, I don't know what havppened - staff must have accidently thrown it out!!" It's very frustrating. Also, new supervisor is trying to get rid of those individuals who might be "trouble" such those who have mobility problems and those with behavioral issues (which have increased drastically since she started because she makes them do things they don't want to do such as go on outings). Also, the company has started transferring staff who have been at residences for a long time and sending them to a new house saying that they don't want the employees to get "too comfortable." However, they do not take into consideration that the people who live in these houses sometimes have no family involvement and look at staff as their family. Moving staff is causing a lot of problems in the homes. HNNCSB also doesn't care how these moves are afftecting staff. They are making staff take positions that interfer with other aspects of life. For example, making a staff person who had a Sun - Wed morning shift position and moving them to a Wed - Sat evening shift position and not caring that this person has a second job. HNNCSB is not flexible - their position is "too bad, if you don't like it, you can leave."
    So my advice - if all you care about is pay and benefits, then HNNCSB is your place to work. But if you actually care about the people you service, than stay clear!

You need to change. You are loosing good staff and you will lose more. If all you care about is the bottom line, then you need to get into a different line of work.

I love my job but there needs to be some changes.

I have been working at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board

Pros

I have checked out many of the other CSB's and agencies in the Hampton Roads area and even with all the complaints employees have towards this CSB it still seems to be one of the best in this area. The economy is rough and anyone who is working is forunate to have a job, but even so there are many ways this CSB could improve and it has deteriorated from the CSB it once was. I believe this CSB uses the "economy is rough" statement to allow us to put up with unfair treatment.

Cons

Its been mentioned on this forum that the CSB offers a generous annual and sick leave package. This is true, however depending on who your supervisor is you will not be allowed to use this package. Some supervisors will flat out deny one's request for leave, You could have a funeral, wedding, child's special event or even just need a break from a very stressful job and your leave will be denied. Working in the health care field is very stressful and in order to keep yourself refreshd, rested and positive, taking some time of leave is very imp but it is not allowed in most situations. The reason for denying this leave is "the budget" and the fact that the agency has to pay someone to cover your shift when you're gone. It would actually improve the budget to allow staff the take the leave offered in the benefits package they were offered as taking one's leave promotes staff longevity and it also prevents staff from becoming ill due to burn out and thus using medical leave.
    To sum it up, this is a rewarding field to work in, but one most be realistic that it is also stressful and we need to get a break, or appreciation or even acknowledgement for all the hard work we do.

Please realize how imp and valuable your staff are. We work very hard, care about the consumers are not as replaceable as you may think we are. Just because the economy is bad and lots of applications are coming in, that doesnt mean all of those applicants are qualified to serve our consumers. Be thankful and appreciative of the staff you have. Tell us thank you more often and give us less criticism and threats of termination. Also, allow us to use our benefits package and allow us to use our leave.

Very Comfortable Work Environment

I have been working at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees enjoy a lot of flexibility. The benefits package is very generous, particularly sick leave and annual leave. Everyone is on a first-name basis, so there is no rigid, hierarchical structure.

Cons

This is not so much a factor for me, but some positions pay better in the private sector. However, this is to be expected with a not-for-profit agency. Again, this is not an issue for me, but some would like to see the agency offer tuition reimbursement.

Hold employees more accountable for their actions.

Experience probably supervisor dependent

I worked at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board

Pros

-Great benefits, good pay, opportunities to move up and over, good experience for mental health, one of the lead employers in the area

Cons

-Workload and requirements can be supervisor-dependent instead of uniform which is good if you have a good supervisor but can be miserable if you don't

-Long hours

-If several complaints come from one team or section, address the underlying problem. Otherwise, you risk losing more employees

-Consider flex time