Hampton Roads Transit

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014
2.2

CEO

This has not been the career step I'd hoped for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a good benefit package, HRT is basically considered government, so for an individual, the health/ dental pricing is reasonable. The pricing is a bit steep once you add dependents though. I have personal policies for my family and save over half. We also get free rides on all the public transit, which is nice if you are anywhere in their service area

Cons

The upper management turnover is VERY high. Not a single upper management employee is still here that was employed my first day 3 years ago. There is little accountability to workers below them, and very little in the way of career development. They pay lower than market wages and most people use this as a pass through position. You won't get a raise or much of one either. Most of the employee social events have been disbanded, so there is very little communications between admin and drivers. There is not much in the way of career development, and your manager can trade you at whim to other departments. I have spoke to quite a few people who are surprised with move instructions on their arrival at work one day. If you don't like it, well - you could get another job. Many positions here are dead-end. There is no growth potential, no further opportunity unless the person above you dies or leaves. And, ultimately, they can move you around to whatever job they want change your job title to whatever they want, whether or not you are qualified, and its up to you to fight to keep that position at that time. Its a very political environment as well, and many upper management employees act no better that spoiled teenagers - they want what they want, and woe to them who can't or don't provide it. You say the wrong thing - knowingly or not - and that could be the end of your career.

Look at developing the people you have. Respect is two-way street: treating employees like chess pieces doesn't make them appreciate their employment, it makes them resent it. No wonder people steal here. Its a very little bit they have control over since there are more and more rules put out to control everything from behavior to friendships.

Recent medical problem has caused HRT to terminate employment

Current Employee - Bus Operator in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Bus Operator in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Driving is ok, talking with passengers

Cons

Before I knew what my problem was (enlarged prostate) I was terminated because of emergency urinating outdoors in private location, or so I thought. I was on camera. Got documentation from doctor, but not good enough.

Management appears afraid to think outside the box.

Career killer.

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You can ride the bus for free. The benefits package for the administrative personnel is equivalent to the city benefits.

Cons

(This is for non-union staff) You will likely never advance here. You may not even get the job you interview for, and quite often, the interviewers will lead you to believe you will be accepting a job further down your career path, until you get hired and discover you are a glorified data entry person. Or secretary. Unless you are upper management, you will likely not get a raise - or at least not anytime soon. There is very little career development in any department. You can be moved anywhere in the organization on a supervisors whim, and you have no recourse. You can be disciplined for lack of training or knowledge in a position you were forced into, and have no recourse. For many staff, unless the person above leaves or dies, you will never advance. The salaries are some of the lowest in the market. There are a couple positions here that have about a 6 month turnover rate - HRT pays almost 10,000 under market value for someone with any experience in that position.

Career development would be nice, especially when the salaries for those not in upper management aren't going to grow. Truth in advertising - it sucks to be interviewed for a position, told you will have certain duties, then show up and realize that the work your subordinates did at your last employers is now what you will be doing. No one likes going backwards, especially due to a gross misrepresentation and at a lesser salary too.

Not a job for everyone

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit

Pros

Decent pay for a TEMPORARY job

Cons

Everything!!! Toxic work place created by a handful of supervisors that are unhappy with their job.

An organization with many opportunities for growth.

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company constantly expanding presenting great opportunities for growth. New management is very dedicated to the success of the organization and supportive of staff. Awesome benefits including employee paid health and dental, retirement plan, paid vacation and paid sick leave!

Cons

The organization is a political subdivision serving 6 cities and is overseen by representatives from each of those cities. HRT currently does not have a dedicated funding source and must request operating money from the cities each year. This places a lot of constraints and limits on the organization both financially and operationally.