Hana Innosys

1 Rating

Anonymous, currently in Milpitas, CA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Hana Innosys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hana Micron is a great company to work for because they are a company with great potential!
    In my opinion, their vision is heading in the right direction.
    Currently, I feel like my work is contributing to acheiving my short term goals and the long term goals of the company.
    I sense the company is infused with a new outlook and it's up to management to lead the workers here in the right direction.
    Since the company is on the smaller side, 20-30 employees, I feel like the interaction here is more family-like and it makes it a comfortable atmosphere.
    Coming from a company that had over 200 employees at my previous job, it was too hard to have a good working relationship with other people outside my department.
    I'm looking forward to working here for years to come, and I hope our company will continue to grow to my expectations.

Cons

Before I first started here, I saw the other reviews on glassdoor.com and I was reluctant to switch jobs. I saw the reviews complaining about the upper management and how they lack leadership and vision. Also, the incompetence worried me and the direction the company was heading. But after here for an year, I'm confident that they will be change. It feels like it can only get better from this point moving forward.

Senior management here has some issues with how they handle, treat, and interact with their workers. It's a fact that some of the senior managers here lack good leadership. However, there are a couple managers here that know what they are doing. If the managers who lack leadership could follow the example of the managers with good leadership, it will get better.
    I hope that some of the managers here will lead by example, and encourage their workers with a positive attitude. Sometimes hearing other workers and how they get mistreated, reveals the lack of management skills by some of the senior managers. The most efficient way to get the best work out of people is to be optimistic. Hopefully they will realize this and lead the company in the right, positive direction.

Don't waste your time in this company

I have been working at Hana Innosys

Pros

Flexibility, long lunch break, passing days without really working, free snacks

Cons

Poor leadership, poor management, no vision, Dunt work there if you want a career.

Respect your employees. Stop playing politics.

not a company at all

I worked at Hana Innosys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

After long time thinking, no good things are found.

Cons

No vision, no leadership, no work, no project, no career, no management......

You are destroying company and employee's future.

it was good experience for future business operation

I worked at Hana Innosys

Pros

- slow work, but compensation was good compare to work load.
    - can be trained for learning what good management is (collection of bad management cases here)

Cons

- Worship service each month
    - Too much odd jobs (project has low priority, but directly ordered job from VP has the highest priority. everyday they give different work order. so confuse..)
    - Treating engineers are kinds of office supplies
    - Doing awkward work from time to time (for example, making video to praise CEO's birthday)
    - Childish projects (no plan, no deep thinking, no goal, no results)
    - No technologies and knowledge related their projects
    - Frequent warning letter and expectation letter (moreover hidden warning letters)
    - Engineers have to accept all risks of project, but managers don't
    - Too much political conflicts
    - Incompetent leadership
    - Lazy managers

- Learn money is not everything, but human resource is all
    - Learn about business attitude and ethics
    - Learn what business management is
    - Learn how to respect your colleagues
    - Think several times when order something and remember what you ordered
    - Don't say this company is startup any more

Decide for yourself

I worked at Hana Innosys

Pros

* Coffee
    - HMA offers quality coffee (Flavia) for free.

* Lunch hours
    - No one has any issue taking 1.5 - 2 hour lunch breaks.

* Ok money for the quality of work being performed

* Eye opener
    - To date, I thank the management for (unknowingly) presenting itself as the prime subject of my inquisitive mind; more specifically, it has proved to be very helpful in understanding the details of social sciences and politics.

Cons

Below are just my reflections of my own HMA experience. Take my comments with a grain of salt; your mileage may vary, and depending on your position.

The main theme and philosophy that resonates everywhere you turn at HMA:
    * "Family" philosophy/atmosphere
    - Though they claim to be an "American" corporation, most of the important discussions happen in Korean first and then selectively passed onto others in English.
    - Employees have been "asked" to make a special DVD for CEO's birthday, which took precedence over daily workload.

A few unfortunate consequence of that philosophy:

* Lack of R&D focus
    - "customer support" is the one and only focus in SW/HW development.

* Too religious
    - Because they're one happy family, everyone is assumed to be and treated as devout Christians.

* Questionable management tactics
    - Among the vast array arsenal availble to a HMA manager are the almighty "expectation letters" and "warning letters", although the employee handbook mentions no such terms, nor does it dictate as to when such letters should be issued. So they end up getting issued rather freely, but that's ok in a family, because they can't break family ties.
    - Management knows and abuses employees' weaknesses, the most important of which being the immigration status.

Overall, I never did get the feeling this company was ever serious about making money.
    Management is clearly aware of the problems; it just happens to be in a serious collective denial, which is rather strongly supported by various political motivations.

If you haven't figured it out already:
    - Drop the family doctrine and the religion. Google around - it's one of the worst management ideas around.
    - Start caring about people. Listen to them with sincerity and act upon the conversations.
    - Do your very best to regain employee trust. Stop scheming behind people's backs.

An interesting company

I worked at Hana Innosys

Pros

- work load is manageable over all
    - various company activities to bond employees together
    - great benefits and compensation
    - expensive snacks and food at company events
    - great atmosphere of "company is doing great" happy feeling
    - expose you to "The Office" , reality tv show mode

Cons

- product. you can spend months and months working on a project without knowing an actual plan or purpose for it. you will always have work to do, but in the end your work is probably just gonna be sitting there and not deployed. when asked, managers would give you visions that never actually happened later on. it could be passed back to you 1 year later for you to work on it again.

- responsibility. sometimes, managers would ask individual employees to plan out project timeline. (i am not sure why this is not done by managers. i thought the purpose of a manager position is to conduct project plans). be sure to add some buffer in case project needs more time, managers would hold that against you when you cannot meet the date set up by yourself. Managers expect engineers to take full responsibilities over the work if anything happens in the future.

- performance review. managers will file warning letters about you and send to higher authority without your knowledge. Usually, they could be revealed to you either directly or indirectly from others after the termination of your employment. It could be a problematic project or some behavior that's taken personally by the manager. However, there is no such term mentioned anywhere in the contract or employee handbook.

- communication. managers would constantly remind you their qualifications and accomplishments in their career so far. these points are often made prior to their criticism about the work you have done. managers would often ask for your feedback afterwards, but attempts to express your true feeling are always futile, it could possibly result a new warning letter, so don't bother.

- company culture. religious events are held in the company building monthly. 2 different email lists were present. english-only speakers often get selective information.

- politics. employees can witness conflicts in the management level. picking the right side often determines your fate and wellbeing in the company. managers often give different instructions to engineer, so engineer ends up being sandwiched in the middle.

above was all my personal experiences, i understand i don't represent the whole population of the company.

i am glad that there is also 5-star review for this company, at least 1 more person is feeling happier than i was. it's very shocking to hear dramatic turn-arounds happened in the employees' reaction all of sudden. so impressive.

maybe my advices are futile, but i will still put them out for the good of the company:

- take a better business model, be sure to let employees to work on things that would actually lead to a profit, instead of assigning meaningless busy work

- be more responsible of the projects, don't blame the employees for all management-level causes

- inform the employees about waning letter before signing contract, so they could avoid mistakes in the future, including actions that would lead to personal grudges

- be more encouraging towards the employees, manipulating and intimidating their confidence will only worsen performance

- treat all employees as a whole, there shouldn't be information that is filtered out on purpose

- let company politics happen behind the curtain if necessary. no companies can be free of drama, but it should not be a weapon used to damage employee's comfort zone

this company has infinite potential if the above points are taken seriously. starting with respect, as long as the management level can come together and work with the employees, it will have a bright future.