Hanapin Marketing Reviews

Pat East

1. One of the Best Places to Work in Indiana for a reason

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great work-life balance, career advancement opportunities, leadership that listens.

Cons

Some of the work-life benefits come with rules that really take away from the benefit. Hard to be taken seriously by management.

Advice to Management

Don't attach strings to benefits that make them unusable. If you've hired great employees (and you have), then trust employees to be great.

2. Fantastic people

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are part of an incredible team when working at Hanapin. They put you through a rigorous interview process but it pays in dividends. I know when I go to work, I am going to be surrounded by people who want to work as hard as I do. Not only do we work hard, we play hard too! Such a fun and vibrant environment.

Cons

There is this underlying fear of speaking up and speaking your mind. I don't get it. But it hinders cultural progress. I don't know if people are afraid of being fired or penalized for speaking up and fighting for better pay, better work-life balance, etc. but that type of fear causes rumors and a general sense of negative feelings toward the leadership team which is undeserved.

Advice to Management

Sit down and chat with your employees outside of office hours and formal meetings. Stop by the lunch table. Go walk and grab a coffee with a group--without agenda. Just show your people that you can relate to them.

3. Great Agency

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time

Pros

The company cares about its people. Good growth for a company in a small town.

Cons

Employees don't always give management direct feedback, which slows progress.

Advice to Management

Finds ways to get more honest and direct feedback from folks that have worked here for 2+ years.

5. Rare Company

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time

Pros

Genuinely listens to feedback. Balances making changes with trying to do much or make everyone happy really well. Awesome training programs for PPC but also things like management training. As they grow they add benefits/perks/structure that helps us get better all the time. Great client list and some really cool contacts on the client side that the team enjoys working with. Amazing co-workers who aren't overly competitive, but who root for each other to succeed.

Cons

A lot of inexperienced people who don't know what other companies are like, this leads to a lot of frustration around having to work a couple hours in a week. The company hires a mix of experienced and inexperienced PPC people, those without experience learn so much so fast that after a year or two they feel like they've outgrown the company and start to look elsewhere. This leads to turnover of inexperienced folks, which is frustrating because it's such a tight-knit company that it feels like you lose your friends.

Advice to Management

Focus on the new structures, giving people tools to be more strategic and have more control over their day-to-day job functions. Let people make mistakes and learn from them versus feeling like you have to protect them.

6. Great Company! Incredible Team!

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

Pros

Having been in the PPC world for many years, I was particularly impressed with Hanapin as a company, as well as the team of people they employ. The culture is such that most will take time out of their day to help you be more successful with your accounts. Definitely don't find that in some other workplaces. Unlike other agencies, Hanapin also places a great emphasis on the work/life balance and gives their employees perks such as the 4.5 day work week, self-scheduling, and the ability to qualify to work from home. Senior leadership is also very transparent about everything and totally accessible to all members of the team. So far, my experience at Hanapin has been great.

Cons

We are busy and sometimes stretched a bit thin.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the feedback from your employees -- you've made some great changes over the past year.

7. Great Company to Work For

Pros

I have worked at other companies when I was undermined and not treated with respect. At Hanapin I've always been the support and encouragement needed to succeed. 4.5 day work are great!

Cons

Account management is tough and there can be a high level of stress in the job. However, from my experience, management is aware of this and tries to find ways to reduce stress so we can be more productive.

Aug 19, 2015 – Talent & Culture Department

Thanks for this feedback! We appreciate you and are happy you're happy!

8. Great Employees - Closed off Management

Former Employee - Paid Search in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Paid Search in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The group of young, usually recent graduates, that are hired are almost always very hard working and eager to learn. This makes for a great team experience. Most of the employees are very involved with the business and care about advancing their own careers in digital marketing as well. They are always ready and willing to help each other out.

Cons

There is little to no room for advancement and management only provides employees just enough incentive to extend their longevity six months at a time. Upper management blatantly chooses to ignore company social problems, including clear fraternization between management and subordinates. The lack of reprimand, in addition to the disconnect between upper management and the employees, make for an uncomfortable work environment.

Advice to Management

The business seems to be run predominately based off emotion. Look at the emotional aspect of the work from the eye's of the employees and take an honest effort to make them as happy as you do the management team.

9. Could be the best, but is really only average

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool industry focus, great people tend to work there in lower level roles. Office and perks are probably a little better than what you could find elsewhere in Bloomington, but not in a larger city.

Cons

Absolutely terrible leadership! While the CEO/Founder genuinely wants the place to be awesome, his trust in his upper management undermines this from happening. For a while they had an HR person who seemed to keep things relatively stable, the power that has been given to the top people there now is sad. They don't live the values of the company!

Advice to Management

Live the values and do what it really takes to be great or stop professing to be great and that you have a value system in place.

Aug 19, 2015 – Talent & Culture Department

Thank you for this feedback! Naturally we wish you had a more positive experience and want to do all we can to continually improve. We have launched new operating principles that allow senior ... More

Great group of people

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's an amazing team atmosphere - everyone supports each other and contributes to a fun office atmosphere. There's a dedication to continued education - monthly training is great. Plenty of personal growth opportunities by writing for the blog or speaking at conferences. Also it's an expanding company with interesting clients (and don't forget free snacks!)

Cons

The nature of the job as an account manager means that client work can be stressful. Can occasionally have to work extra hours to get all your work done.

Sep 17, 2014 – Talent & Culture Department

Thank you for the feedback! It is wonderful to hear that you are embracing these opportunities at Hanapin and appreciate the culture created. Thank you for being great!

Be Careful Working Here

Former Employee - Ppc in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Ppc in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment Flexible Hours Great Education Family Oriented Casual Dress

Cons

Will make you sign a non compete working here (and don't forget the internet is everywhere) Pay is below average Don't give full benefits

Jan 2, 2015 – Talent & Culture Department

Thank you for this feedback! It is feedback like this that helps us to make Hanapin a better place to work for our employees. We have since completely revised our benefits and are now offering a ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed