Hanapin Marketing Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Pat East

1. Great Company! Incredible Team!

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing

Pros

Having been in the PPC world for many years, I was particularly impressed with Hanapin as a company, as well as the team of people they employ. The culture is such that most will take time out of their day to help you be more successful with your accounts. Definitely don't find that in some other workplaces. Unlike other agencies, Hanapin also places a great emphasis on the work/life balance and gives their employees perks such as the 4.5 day work week, self-scheduling, and the ability to qualify to work from home. Senior leadership is also very transparent about everything and totally accessible to all members of the team. So far, my experience at Hanapin has been great.

Cons

We are busy and sometimes stretched a bit thin.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the feedback from your employees -- you've made some great changes over the past year.

2. Great Company to Work For

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing

Pros

I have worked at other companies when I was undermined and not treated with respect. At Hanapin I've always been the support and encouragement needed to succeed. 4.5 day work are great!

Cons

Account management is tough and there can be a high level of stress in the job. However, from my experience, management is aware of this and tries to find ways to reduce stress so we can be more productive.

3. Great Employees - Closed off Management

Former Employee - Paid Search in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Paid Search in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The group of young, usually recent graduates, that are hired are almost always very hard working and eager to learn. This makes for a great team experience. Most of the employees are very involved with the business and care about advancing their own careers in digital marketing as well. They are always ready and willing to help each other out.

Cons

There is little to no room for advancement and management only provides employees just enough incentive to extend their longevity six months at a time. Upper management blatantly chooses to ignore company social problems, including clear fraternization between management and subordinates. The lack of reprimand, in addition to the disconnect between upper management and the employees, make for an uncomfortable work environment.

Advice to Management

The business seems to be run predominately based off emotion. Look at the emotional aspect of the work from the eye's of the employees and take an honest effort to make them as happy as you do the management team.

5. Could be the best, but is really only average

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool industry focus, great people tend to work there in lower level roles. Office and perks are probably a little better than what you could find elsewhere in Bloomington, but not in a larger city.

Cons

Absolutely terrible leadership! While the CEO/Founder genuinely wants the place to be awesome, his trust in his upper management undermines this from happening. For a while they had an HR person who seemed to keep things relatively stable, the power that has been given to the top people there now is sad. They don't live the values of the company!

Advice to Management

Live the values and do what it really takes to be great or stop professing to be great and that you have a value system in place.

Great group of people

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's an amazing team atmosphere - everyone supports each other and contributes to a fun office atmosphere. There's a dedication to continued education - monthly training is great. Plenty of personal growth opportunities by writing for the blog or speaking at conferences. Also it's an expanding company with interesting clients (and don't forget free snacks!)

Cons

The nature of the job as an account manager means that client work can be stressful. Can occasionally have to work extra hours to get all your work done.

Hanapin Marketing Response

Sep 17, 2014 – Talent & Culture Department

Thank you for the feedback! It is wonderful to hear that you are embracing these opportunities at Hanapin and appreciate the culture created. Thank you for being great!

Be Careful Working Here

Former Employee - Ppc in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Ppc in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment Flexible Hours Great Education Family Oriented Casual Dress

Cons

Will make you sign a non compete working here (and don't forget the internet is everywhere) Pay is below average Don't give full benefits

Hanapin Marketing Response

Jan 2, 2015 – Talent & Culture Department

Thank you for this feedback! It is feedback like this that helps us to make Hanapin a better place to work for our employees. We have since completely revised our benefits and are now offering a ... More

Good place to learn, bad place to stay.

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are nice and friendly, however high-turnover makes it hard to build relationships. Thorough training to introduce employees to paid search.

Cons

Terrible Management - The most untrusting environment I have ever worked in. It hurt morale and productivity. High Turnover - Low compensation and benefits leads to high turnover. By the time I left there were only a few people still at the company who I started with. Hard to Become An Expert - Because of the high turnover and lack of experience of new employees, it's almost impossible to learn and grow beyond the basics.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect.

A Last Resort, Terrible Place To Work!

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time

Pros

- (Friendly and Socialble Peers) Some of the co-workers you'll have are some of the nicest people you'll meet. - (Environment) Open and relaxing office space, very close to downtown Bloomington hotspots. - (Entry Level Learning) If you have just finished high school or college it's a nice stepping stone.

Cons

- (Stalin/Hitler Leadership) The owner is extremely difficult to work with and work for. He has issues controlling his anger and frequently rages on his employees with profanity when things aren't going his way. He is quick to appologize in these circumstances, but he may have mental stability issues or may not be able to handle the daily stresses of people managment. - (Inmaturity and Turnover) The company has always been young and growing rather than seasoned and professional. For this reason and the owners temper tantrums the company has an extremely high turn over rate and has great difficulty keeping talent. - (Compensation) The owner has a strict mentality of getting something for nothing. This effects all things and can help the company bottom line thrive which may attribute to it staying aflot when big clients leave. Where you'll see this is in your pay and benefits. If you have more than 3 years experience you'll probably be better compensated somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Seek some mental health counseling to address anger/rage issues. Allow your employees ownership and do your very best to keep the top talent with the company. Change the image to a professional culture rather than a party culture. It's a company not a daycare and the space and decorum should feel that way.

Growing company with wicked smart employees.

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work with great clients and brands, personal branding opportunities through PPCHero and Hero Conf, and less clients per account manager than competing agencies (1-6 with an average of 4).

Cons

Agency life ain't always easy. The company and clients have high expectations for employees, which can be daunting.

Advice to Management

Focus on core priorities. Let the team know what the most important thing they can do to help the company grow is.

Good place to learn.

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training program on paid search for people just entering the industry.

Cons

Small company, so little upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns.

RSS Feed </> Embed