Hancock Fabrics

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
2.4

Steven R. Morgan

Pros
  • I have had great co-workers, friendly management, and the job is quiet easy (in 7 reviews)

• Fun environment, a lot of great customers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You always have to push customers to buy Designer Deals or the Monthly item(s) which tends to make the customer unhappy (in 11 reviews)

• I started at minimum wage, and was informed that was company policy (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Meh... The customers are to die for fantastic

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hancock Fabrics (less than a year)

Pros

Customers are truly wonderful.. That's about all. Good sales and good products but nothing else. The immediate staff,employees are great at their jobs

Cons

You do not have manpower to recover the store so you stay in trouble for dissary of store. Salary.. Laughable. Upper manager was kind and all but kept calling so much you could not accomplish what he called about his last call!

Extend payroll.. The staying you have to spend money to make it applies to stores.

Interesting if you like fabric and sewing ideas

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The ladies I work with are very knowledgable about fabrics and sewing. I am constantly learning from my customers!

Cons

Pay is not competitive with other local jobs that require less expertise. Coupons are confusing to the customers so they just hand the cashier their flyer and tell us to find the ones that work. Many coupons are printed that they will not work in combinations but they do. It is time consuming for the cashier to fInd and cut out coupons while other customers are waiting.

People are tired of the same contest items over and over! Our customers are patrons and they have contest items from years past.

I like my job very much!

Current Employee - Cashier/Cutter/Stocker
    Current Employee - Cashier/Cutter/Stocker

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My store manager is fantastic. She finds ways to help me and the other employees sell Designer Deals and whatever product incentive there is. She makes sure that all employees carry the workload evenly. If there is one aspect of your job that you enjoy more than another she tries to accomodate you and the others so that you find maximum joy while at work. She doesn't allow poor sportsmanship (so to speak) or bad attitudes without addressing the issue immediately. Our store is very blessed to have her as the store manager. I hope she never leaves!

Cons

Salary could sure use improvement. The Designer Deal and product incentives are shoved down our throat and in turn we are pressured by those over the store manager to sell them or face consequeces. I find that to be very unfortunate because without that element in the equation my job would be near perfect.

Hancock Fabrics needs to realize that rural areas such as ours will not sell D.D.'s as well as larger cities where people purchase larger quantities of fabric and have more resources. The trickle down effect of "punishment" for not selling these programs is demeaning. I think Hancock Fabrics needs to realize that customers are smarter than they think. Most are quite leery of these kinds of programs and will not purchase them. If they do purchase a D.D. then they go right home and cancel. In addition, we are pressured to reduce the use of the coupons in the flyer and if too many are used then we are accused of "abusing" the coupons. Don't print them if you don't want people using them. If you don't want stores to hand out your flyers, don't send them to the individual stores. It's crazymaking! Hand them out to increase sales and advertising but discourage the use of coupons is completely counterproductive.

Fun retail job

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are usually polite because they're there for specific reasons, sometimes you get to help with really interesting projects. When it gets busy it's still not too terrible.

Cons

Work environment depends on store manager, sometimes chemicals are present that can set off allergies, pay raises don't really happen

Great at the store level, awful in upper management.

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting people with similar interest and swapping skills. The store does well at its' own level, the management is a good team. I like being able to see the new fabrics and products.

Cons

It's all about selling. Corporate doesn't seem to care about the stores or the employees. They say they "care" about the customers however they try to shove things down their throats.
    The designer deals program is a joke and our customers aren't afraid to say it in the store. When it started it was told to the employees only the first year would be free; making some of us call and cancel, fearing it would be taken out of our paychecks. Now with the "lottery" there really isn't an incentive to sell them. A nationwide lot doesn't give good odds and needing two to be entered even once is ridiculous. If enough aren't sold we're threatened with being fired, adding to the stress.
    The contest item is always troublesome if it isn't something useful. Thread, scissors, and web bond are a few of the good ones because they work and our customers can always use them.
     The pay is low for the work expected. We're expected to run fabric, cut fabric, check at the register, unload the truck, answer the phone, check e-mails, and be perfect salesmen at the same time. It's very stressful and exhausting.

Overhaul upper management and have them open their eyes. Treat your employees and the store level with respect and they will work for you. Continue to treat them as you are and you'll continue to have a high turn over rate. Most of the reviews are saying the same thing when it comes to many points. Perhaps that should tell you that you need to look into what they're saying.

Best for part-time work

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

Flexible scheduling, relaxed atmosphere and dress code

Cons

Only a .40 cent raise for assistant manager. Usually understaffed.

Over worked, bothered on days off

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great insurance holiday pay
    Vacation time
    Sick time

Cons

Requirments
    Days off
    Long days

Do our job for few days

Run Away!

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The customers are amazing! You see a lot of the same people over and over. You get to build a customer service relationship with them.

Cons

Management is a joke. I have worked at three different locations, and its all the same. Policies are hard to follow because each person seems to have their own that they expect you to follow. Nothing is set in stone. The pay is poor. A supervisor position barely makes over minimum wage. The entire job becomes miserable and unbearable. Save yourself the trouble.

Keep a closer eye on the stores. Make sure everyone is on the same page. Understand that people need a livable wage.

Good, nice people, work environment, and customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norman, OK

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of room to learn new things.

Cons

Store becomes disorderly after a lot of customers come through.

Good Employees, terrible corporate management.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic Co-workers. Generally good customers. Always new fabrics (which is dangerous for your paycheck if you like fabrics).

Cons

Corporate policies. Pressures to sell unwanted things to customers who you care about. Having to lie (or "fudge the truth") about products to sell them when asked to do so by corporate.

Take some time to care about your employee as well as your customers. It isn't all about money, and you would make more money if people trusted you to not shove worthless products down their throats every time they came in the store.