Hancock Fabrics Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Steven R. Morgan

Pros
  • Great co-workers and great customers, worked there 26 years first 20 were great had understanding upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Fun environment, a lot of great customers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You're frequently pushed to sell the contest item of the month, along with Designer Deals once they were introduced (in 11 reviews)

• We lost SO MANY good employees because Hancock was paying minimum wage and all the surrounding retail businesses pay way more (in 9 reviews)

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time

Pros

Loved the work,my fellow managers and customers

Cons

No pay, no labor hours, have to work EVERY holiday, hard to get time off , and rarely used up my vacation. Hiring qualified people was difficult because pay was so low.

Advice to Management

Up the hours- take a look at what happened to Starbucks and Walmart when they added extra staff

2. Supervisor

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time

Pros

very flexible schedule and may work around your personal life.

Cons

you are working late and even on weekends. very unfair with rotating time off.

Advice to Management

i don't have any advice to give to management.

3. Not what you expect

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baldwyn, MS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baldwyn, MS

Pros

Customers were often nice as well as employees.

Cons

Unrealistic work goals. Our goals were never met, because of poor management.

5. Excellent but not challenging

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time

Pros

Based off prior retail experience this is a walk in the park. Excellent store manager and co-workers. I recommend this job to someone in school or looking to suppliment an income.

Cons

Not enough consistency between locations and not enough credit is given to those doing the grunt work.

Advice to Management

Add bit more in consistency/instentive for those looking to rise with the company. When minimum wage is paid, and there is no upward movement with pay in accurate relation to responisibilty, this will remain a transient job with no customer relationship building. The solid employees that remain have a long term second income to survive.

Save yourself the frustration.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, seeing the new items that come in every week. Some customers are really nice but most just want in and out.

Cons

Management is really out of touch with what's actually involved in running a store. I hate that they print all the coupons and mail them out but we are to discourage customers from using discounts of any kind. Customer service is so important but we aren't supposed to help customers any further than showing them where to find what it is that they're looking for. Talk about a contradiction of terms!! The pay is ridiculously low and will remain so. There are no raises so forget that. District managers put so much pressure on everyone to sell Designer Deals and monthly contest items that they've resorted to threats to your job if you don't sell them. Customers hate high pressure tactics. I am not going to do that no matter what corporate says. I'm sure I'll lose my job someday because I won't lie to and strong arm customers into things they neither want nor need. It doesn't matter if you work so hard you sweat or if your sales in fabric are outstanding, if you don't sell the contest items and Designer Deals you're screwed. What has this company become?? I feel like I'm going to a firing squad before every shift.

Advice to Management

Just shut it down already. You aren't in the fabric business anymore. You've moved right into telemarketing tactics and twisting people's arms. Shame on you all. Your employees want to do well for you but that is the last thing on your mind. I'm surprised your doors are still open considering how very little respect you have for customers and employees.

7. okay place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are wonderful! The chance to help them buy the perfect fabric for the perfect wedding dress or draperies, good feeling all around.

Cons

As with any retail, never enough hours to go around to get done all that is required. Pay scale for associates could be better.

8. Spare yourself the pain, read my novel instead

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marietta, GA

Pros

You form bonds with some of the customers if you know what you're talking about. Notice that this is likely my only pro.

Cons

Let me make you a list, because I'd really like to detour you away from ruining your life with a job here. - Designer Deals: Imagine paying $10 dollars a month for a coupon club. Then imagine that each coupon that your paying for is like "buy one get one free donuts" or something. You're paying $10 a month for about 12 coupons that you can literally get out of those free coupon booklets they stash around town at various supermarkets. But if you're like me, and that sounds to you like a great way to waste money, then imagine being forced to shove this "great deal" down every customer's throat, no matter how small their purchase. Now imagine that this action is considered part of a "contest"! Imagine that your prize for this contest, should you win FIRST in the district, is one single pizza to feed a staff of 15 people. Imagine that the people in charge of this program are so cheap, that the best they can do is offer you a single pizza for a "pizza party". But hey, it's cool if you don't win. Just so you know, though, if you don't win? Let's say that you didn't take this job to force ridiculous telemarketer tactics and scam-ish coupon clubs down people's throats because you were hired on before this moronic attempt at stealing more people's hard earned money and disguising it as a great deal? Okay, well, welcome to having one day a week with 4 hours tops. You're HEAVILY punished. One elderly woman who I worked with was quite literally forced from her job because she wasn't very good at selling Designer Deals. This was a woman who taught me everything I knew about the job, a woman who was brilliant when it came to choosing fabrics, sewing, designing. Too bad she couldn't sell Designer Deals though. Luckily, we had a couple of teenagers who had never sewn before in their life and had no idea what a zipper foot was who could sell them alright. Imagine the customer's joy when all of their helpful elderly employees were replaced with uninformed teenagers! Now, I'm not an angry elderly woman, battling it out for my lack of job. I'm 25 years old and newly graduated with a degree in international management. Which leads me to my next topic: - Management: Holy. Crap. Let's talk about management on the lower level first. HOW do these people hire managers? That's what I want to know. When I first began working here in high school, the managers were alright. My first manager was very motherly and strict, but she knew what she was doing. She was transferred after she got married. My second manager was a young girl, much younger than me, who was fired after stealing a ton of money from the cash registers and blaming it on her employees. She was only caught after people realized that she was always doing it right before going on vacations. My third manager was a very good manager. She was treated SO poorly despite her long hours, despite how hard she tried. She was forced to come in at ridiculous times, work with no time to rest, no time to sleep. Eventually, she walked out, only to somehow be coaxed back in. I watched her slowly deteriorate into a hateful, bitter woman. She was transferred. My fourth manager was a woman who I initially couldn't stand, but learned to love. She was also very motherly, very kind. She was transferred. My fifth manager was when things went severely downhill. I'm not quite sure what she was hired for, but I heard that she was friends with the district manager. She was rude, incredibly mentally abusive with her employees, and she hid in the back all day long, leaving perhaps one person on the floor to deal with the store. She placed blame on her employees for various things that she was responsible for, she played favourites and lied regularly to save face. She was our district manager's little pet, and after dealing with her regularly, questioning myself, crying into my pillow at night, I eventually decided that I was above this job. I quit, after years of working there, because of the attitude of this manager. Because complaining to the District Manager never worked. Our District Manager seemed nice on the outside, but was incredibly fake. You know those fake people that talk really loudly and happily, staring deep into your soul, because they think that's what a real person looks like? They ask you how you are and promptly zone out the moment that you respond? Yeah. - Hours Hey, who likes driving 30 minutes to a job only to work 4 hours a day? Did you raise your hand? Well, hey, working at Hancock might be the job for you. (I'm kidding. Please. Don't. Save yourself.) And don't forget! If you don't force that Designer Deal down people's throats, or the contest items, you'll probably be looking at one day a week until you train yourself to be a better customer manipulator. And oh hey, speaking of contest items-- - Contest Items Yayyy, here's a bunch of items that corporate bought in bulk for SUPER CHEAP prices to drag themselves out of bankruptcy! Except now it's your problem, and you have to sell these super cheap pieces of crap to customers for overly inflated prices! How about a needle threader that works only about 60% of the time? Or some glorified clothes pins to hold your fabric together for $30 bucks? Or how about a crappy plastic quilting ruler that is, for some reason, $5 more expensive than the ones down the aisle? And don't forget, you have to act like you LOVE every single one of these items. You need to look that customer in the eye and tell them, "No, Mary. This seam ripper with a silly light on it is MUCH better than those cheaper ones on the wall. Of course, I use it all the time. What--What about the needle threader? It's a MUST HAVE. How about a Christmas gift for the kids?" Long story short, don't buy the contest items. The scissors are pretty legit, but past that? It's a bunch of junk. Spare yourself. Oh, and you may be asking, "Why is this called a contest item?" Well, I'd be happy to tell you! The contest is similar to the Designer Deals contest. You get written up if you don't sell enough. And if you win? Yeeah, you get a whole lot of nothing, really. If you win, you DON'T get in trouble. That's the contest. Exciting, isn't it? - Pay Oh, you're a regular ol' employee? Not an assistant manager? Not a manger? TOO BAD. You're going to work like one, and you're sure as heck NOT going to be paid like one. I had to train countless assistant managers and supervisors. I set up all sorts of displays that were meant for the managers. I did many manager jobs, because I was forced to. And I sure didn't get paid like I was forced to, either. I hope you like being paid minimum wage, no matter how hard you work. But hey, be cool. You get a 5-10 cent raise every year you stay working there! :D (Note my sarcasm. This is a BAD thing.) - SO IN CONCLUSION, TL;DR: You will literally go insane if you try and work here. Go work somewhere like Pike's Nursery, where they actually care about their employees and regularly reward them for keeping safe and doing a great job.

Advice to Management

I could write you a novel on advice. Perhaps I've only just graduated from college with a degree in International Management, but you literally go against practically EVERY recommended approach for modern management. You treat your employees horribly, the very people that make up your pillars, the strength of your company. You grasp for straws to pull yourself from the depths of bankruptcy, but perhaps you should question what put you there in the first place? Honestly, fire your advisers They clearly aren't working for you. Your employees leave in droves. Your turn-over rate for employment is HILARIOUS. Look at places like Hobby Lobby, Chick Filet--Look at the ratings their employees give them. Pike's Nursery treats their employees great, and their management overshadows you to a ridiculous degree. But hey, who am I to tell you how to run your business? I only wrote a 12 paper on your tactics for my management class, as a prime example of how NOT to run a business. I should actually be thanking you for my A. If I hadn't suffered through this portion of my life, I wouldn't have had such a great concentration for my term paper. So thank you.

Run the other way!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount, Friendly Regular Customers, Inspiring to come up with new DIY projects

Cons

If you're on the fence about working here, don't. They clearly have a problem with money at the corporate level, which is why stores aren't given enough hours for payroll. Things are always hectic because the stores are so understaffed! They expect one or two people to run the store and often customers get so annoyed with the lack of help they just leave. You're trained to hide coupons from customers so they can pinch pennies and returned damaged merchandise goes right back on the sales floor. Returns? Forget it. They are so picky about returns and make customers fill out a ton of unnecessary paperwork even with a receipt. It's frustrating for employees to adhere to these nonsense policies, but worse for the customer to have to abide by them.

Advice to Management

No advice, the company is in a poor financial state, and they need to just close their stores.

Put me out of my miseries

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love taking to customers about projects , never visited by district manager.

Cons

Never see upper management, no follow up training from district manager. Company only focus on designer deals, surveys and contest items. Several good managers were terminated for not making goals.

Advice to Management

Might want to conduct surprise visit on district manager to make sure they're seeing stores on regular scheduled visits. Make sure district are not run by other managers visits and store walks are not conducted by their piers.

Management

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time

Pros

Can be a fun and creative job

Cons

low pay. high pressure sales tactics

Advice to Management

Get rid of Designer Deals

RSS Feed </> Embed