Hancock Fabrics

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.4

Steven R. Morgan

Pros
  • My co-workers are great people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• maybe the employee discount and customers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Being forced to sell contest items and Designer Deals (in 9 reviews)

• I started at minimum wage, and was informed that was company policy (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first job, but overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmond, OK

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was very easy to be hired, and my manager was always willing to work around the employees' schedules when determining the week's hours. The customers are generally nice, and it was nice helping them find what they needed to do their projects.

Cons

The store was always understaffed and if you worked an earlier shift, the end of the shift was during the busiest part of the day, so you sometimes had to stay later until there was enough of a lull to leave.

The turnover rate was excessively high. The manager had changed a couple of months before I started working there, and by the time I quit (10 months later), I was the only original person left. The team before I got there had been there for quite a while, but they were driven away by poor management, and everyone who came after them would only stick around for a couple of months at most.

I was hired as a sales associate for $7.25 an hour, but I heard that others had been hired on later for that job for more, but raises were never offered to the existing employees.

You're frequently pushed to sell the contest item of the month, along with Designer Deals once they were introduced. It feels like they want you to be extremely pushy about selling them.

The new employees are not given formal training regarding where items are supposed to go, and they do not get trained at the register until later. In addition, because so few people work at a time, when things are particularly rushed, the more seasoned employees must stay at the register while the new employees (often slowly) work the cutting tables. On a Sunday, there may be as few as one person at the table and one at the register, no matter how busy the store is, depending on when someone had to go on break.

I think the management issue is at all levels of Hancock's, but the store manager needs to take more responsibility at their level and not put the blame on the district manager for why they're making the employees sell so many of the contest items and DD's.

Ok place, terrible management at my location

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesquite, TX

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great discounts, very laid back environment

Cons

Low pay, lots of gossip
    One manager at my location in Mesquite was a horrible human being. I only mention because issues were brought up on multiple occasions and nothing was ever done by the store manager

I left because my hours were going to be cut and given to a high school student who still lived at home when I had bills to pay.
    Take care of the employees needs more closely

A good place to start, but a sad waste of good people.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time for less than a year

Pros

A fun job, with flexible hours. We were like a little family working there. Loved the atmosphere, when the air conditioning was working, that is.

Cons

Pay was so low that turnover was high. The employees that stayed, were either retired women who didn't really need the money, and loved the job, or people who just loved the job. We lost SO MANY good employees because Hancock was paying minimum wage and all the surrounding retail businesses pay way more.
    The company was very slow to fix the air conditioner, and it was so hot in the store we lost customers and it was unbearable for employees.

Store employees feel a huge disconnect with upper management. When employees feel you care, they will work harder for you. Please consider this when doing things like calculating pay, repairing store fixtures & necessities, and showing empathy in the store via store visits.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seriously???

Former Employee - Key Holder  in  Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Katy, TX

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you can handle this crap, you can handle any retail environment

Cons

Only 4 hour shifts for associates, approximately 12 hours a week. What a joke, especially at minimum wage. Not to mention having only 2 people on the floor at a time because the GM didn't want to actually work her 40 hours therefore all of us had to work double time with unsatisfied customers because the store is too big for 2 employees with a cutting table and the register who is available to answer questions or the phone etc.

Your salaried GM's need to work the floor or more hours need to be given so that more employees can work the floor.

Creative Chaos

Former Employee - Fabric Cutter and Cashier  in  Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Fabric Cutter and Cashier in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved working at Hancock for a few amazing reasons. Being able to help a customer make the right decision on a fabric whether it was for quilting, apparel or upholstery was very fun. I also loved the discount! I was an avid shopper at work and it helped me to know our products in the store!

Cons

A few company policies, Designer Deals and Preferred Cards were a TERROR to work with. Constantly harassing customers to sign up for a flyer or asking them to spend money to save money created a huge barrier with many a guest in the store. My store manager was rarely at the store, and my district manager did NOT know how to communicate with any of us in the store.

Management needs to visit the stores more. They need to see that the little amount of hours given makes it nearly impossible to be restocking shelves with fabric and merchandise PLUS be assisting customers.

Has potential!

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fellow employees are knowledgable about many aspects of the fabric world and we depend on each other's knowledge. Staff is always willing to share ideas with customers and learn new ideas from the customers. Customers are generally very pleasant. Part time positions are available giving employes time with family. My co workers are very willing to share responsibilities so that jobs get done.

Cons

Need a better internal communication system, pertaining to the particular needs of our store, in order to be more productive. Assigning task after the employee has been trained would be more productive than "figure it out as you go along". The store needs a good cleaning by a professional cleaning company. The floors have never been mopped! The bathroom facilities are cleaned by the employees.

Allow stores to be individualized in some areas of operation. Small communities with steady clientele can not move Designer Deals and repeat contest items at the same rate larger, centrally located stores can. Some parts of the country are dealing with droughts, changing demographics, high unemployment, etc. and employees at these location should not be threatened with lose of hours/job for not meeting standards on Designer Deals, contest items, preferred cards, etc. It would be nice if more hours were given to stores so that customer service does not have to suffer because all employees are stocking, do price changes, etc. Quality time must be spent with the customer if you expect them to become "regulars".

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

Great opportunity to succeed and room for advancement.

Cons

Need to change culture. However this can be achieved.

Positive!!!

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Reno, NV

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time for less than a year

Pros

I look forward to starting my new position. The benefits seem fair and my new boss is very nice.

Cons

I'm still waiting for the new store to open. Many pitfalls with permits not ready in time for the store opening.

Hope there is more training involved once we start working.

Current Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked for Hancock's since September of 2013, and I have enjoyed the time i have been there. I was promoted to supervisor in January, so upward movement is possible. My fellow staff members are awesome, and we are very much like a family. The current manager and asst. manager are motivating, helpful, and knowledgeable. I LOVE the discount, being a medieval anachronist. I sew and weave, so having that discount is a wonderful aid to my wallet.

Cons

There should be more training for the upper level management (managers, asst. managers, and supervisors), as well as a handbook to help guide these positions on the daily operations for the store. Also, contest/push items are AWFUL, and I hate trying to sell people on stupid things that they most likely don't need. How many scissors, pin holders, and rulers does a person need!? Also, while the Designer Deals is a wonder program, having to push a program that a customer has to pay for is difficult. I feel as if I am selling cars again, which is a job I hated. Inter company competition is also great, but there needs to be a system in place for all employees, not just the store manager. When a store makes the top 15 in the company on Designer Deals or the contest items, the manager gets a monetary kick back. Most employees that did the work don't see a dime. Why should we push things when we don't see any rewards? Luckily, my manager is someone who will take that money and reward her staff.

The last con are the wages and staff hours. I started at minimum wage, and was informed that was company policy. About the only way to get a raise was to advance to a higher position. Also, in my store, we don't have enough staff to cover the hours that we have. We also don't have enough hours to give staff to handle the store and make sure all displays and sales are correct. We are the largest in our area, open later than the other stores, and we get 4 extra hours. It's ridiculous.

Store management: Take time to train your staff completely. When I started, I had no training on anything, and was pretty much thrown to the wolves, learning as I went. thank goodness my supervisor (now Asst. Manager) takes time to help and train us as situations come up. For upper management in the company: Listen to your employees, take their concerns to heart, and actually do something about it.

clerk

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

Get good discount and in some cases will work with staff on hours they can work.

Cons

We are not aloud to have a hard copy of schedule we are told this by management that Hancocks does not want staff to have a hard copy. if your schedule changes you are not called. You are to go in everyday and check it.

Need a major over hall of corp. staff.

Worked for Hancock Fabrics? Contribute to the Community!