Hancock Fabrics

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
2.5

Steven R. Morgan

Pros
  • My co-workers are great people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• maybe the employee discount and customers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You always have to push customers to buy Designer Deals or the Monthly item(s) which tends to make the customer unhappy (in 11 reviews)

• I started at minimum wage, and was informed that was company policy (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Job but demanding.

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

Opportunity for advancement. You are challenged to sell a lot of extras such as Designer Deals and Contests. You are given an opportunity to develop your management skills by working here.

Cons

Takes a toll on your personal life. Like much of retail, you need more payroll. There really isn't any explanation as to how payroll is given. Tasks are often added without additional payroll.

Good first job, but overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edmond, OK

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was very easy to be hired, and my manager was always willing to work around the employees' schedules when determining the week's hours. The customers are generally nice, and it was nice helping them find what they needed to do their projects.

Cons

The store was always understaffed and if you worked an earlier shift, the end of the shift was during the busiest part of the day, so you sometimes had to stay later until there was enough of a lull to leave.

The turnover rate was excessively high. The manager had changed a couple of months before I started working there, and by the time I quit (10 months later), I was the only original person left. The team before I got there had been there for quite a while, but they were driven away by poor management, and everyone who came after them would only stick around for a couple of months at most.

I was hired as a sales associate for $7.25 an hour, but I heard that others had been hired on later for that job for more, but raises were never offered to the existing employees.

You're frequently pushed to sell the contest item of the month, along with Designer Deals once they were introduced. It feels like they want you to be extremely pushy about selling them.

The new employees are not given formal training regarding where items are supposed to go, and they do not get trained at the register until later. In addition, because so few people work at a time, when things are particularly rushed, the more seasoned employees must stay at the register while the new employees (often slowly) work the cutting tables. On a Sunday, there may be as few as one person at the table and one at the register, no matter how busy the store is, depending on when someone had to go on break.

I think the management issue is at all levels of Hancock's, but the store manager needs to take more responsibility at their level and not put the blame on the district manager for why they're making the employees sell so many of the contest items and DD's.

Ok place, terrible management at my location

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesquite, TX

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discounts, very laid back environment

Cons

Low pay, lots of gossip
    One manager at my location in Mesquite was a horrible human being. I only mention because issues were brought up on multiple occasions and nothing was ever done by the store manager

I left because my hours were going to be cut and given to a high school student who still lived at home when I had bills to pay.
    Take care of the employees needs more closely

Micromanaged Mess

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

25percent discount, fabric selection, customers and all of their fun projects

Cons

Training of 3 hours then sink or swim. I have never had a manager that was so into micromanaging and condescending. Constant blaming of putting fabric bolts in wrong area, even though customers take many bolts on carts, decide they don't want and stick anywhere, I was always to blame. After 8 weeks of working let go because I was making too many errors with scanner, first I knew about it. A good manager would let you know at the time and offer/explain the process again, show you and watch to make sure it was understood, I was NOT given the opportunity. She informed me that she has been in this business for over 20 years and knows after a few months if a new employee is going to cut it and I was not catching on, did not offer to show me printouts of the errors and when I tried to ask she said she was not going to discuss further, I could clock out and leave, she already had called someone in to cover my shift. Never in my professional working career, and this job was not professional in my book, just something fun and part time after my career, have I ever been treated as this.
    Hired for 12/16 hrs a week, late afternoon to close, only worked that shift once, scheduling is very inconsistent, maybe 12 hrs one week and only. 3 the next. Asked for an allowable accommodation, which is permissible by law and her demeaner towards me immediately changed. Funny, within the. 2 weeks before I was "let go" 3 other floor supervisors told me I was doing a great job. This woman has definitely much to learn about being a manager and I am certain she has no formal training. I have an HR Background could not believe what I saw and heard on the floor for all customers to hear. Don't know if all stores are like this, however this one needs a lot of formal training otherwise the employees there will be going around a revolving door! Poor, poor management!

Your managers and employees are as good as the training they get. You can not give a new employee 3 hours of training and expect them to be perfect immediately. Being human we all learn from our mistakes, however if we are not told about them and not given the opportunity to correct you will never be able to keep good employees . Is this the atmosphere you want at your stores?

A good place to start, but a sad waste of good people.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A fun job, with flexible hours. We were like a little family working there. Loved the atmosphere, when the air conditioning was working, that is.

Cons

Pay was so low that turnover was high. The employees that stayed, were either retired women who didn't really need the money, and loved the job, or people who just loved the job. We lost SO MANY good employees because Hancock was paying minimum wage and all the surrounding retail businesses pay way more.
    The company was very slow to fix the air conditioner, and it was so hot in the store we lost customers and it was unbearable for employees.

Store employees feel a huge disconnect with upper management. When employees feel you care, they will work harder for you. Please consider this when doing things like calculating pay, repairing store fixtures & necessities, and showing empathy in the store via store visits.

Creative Chaos

Former Employee - Fabric Cutter and Cashier in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Fabric Cutter and Cashier in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at Hancock for a few amazing reasons. Being able to help a customer make the right decision on a fabric whether it was for quilting, apparel or upholstery was very fun. I also loved the discount! I was an avid shopper at work and it helped me to know our products in the store!

Cons

A few company policies, Designer Deals and Preferred Cards were a TERROR to work with. Constantly harassing customers to sign up for a flyer or asking them to spend money to save money created a huge barrier with many a guest in the store. My store manager was rarely at the store, and my district manager did NOT know how to communicate with any of us in the store.

Management needs to visit the stores more. They need to see that the little amount of hours given makes it nearly impossible to be restocking shelves with fabric and merchandise PLUS be assisting customers.

Seriously???

Former Employee - Key Holder in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Katy, TX

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you can handle this crap, you can handle any retail environment

Cons

Only 4 hour shifts for associates, approximately 12 hours a week. What a joke, especially at minimum wage. Not to mention having only 2 people on the floor at a time because the GM didn't want to actually work her 40 hours therefore all of us had to work double time with unsatisfied customers because the store is too big for 2 employees with a cutting table and the register who is available to answer questions or the phone etc.

Your salaried GM's need to work the floor or more hours need to be given so that more employees can work the floor.

Has potential!

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow employees are knowledgable about many aspects of the fabric world and we depend on each other's knowledge. Staff is always willing to share ideas with customers and learn new ideas from the customers. Customers are generally very pleasant. Part time positions are available giving employes time with family. My co workers are very willing to share responsibilities so that jobs get done.

Cons

Need a better internal communication system, pertaining to the particular needs of our store, in order to be more productive. Assigning task after the employee has been trained would be more productive than "figure it out as you go along". The store needs a good cleaning by a professional cleaning company. The floors have never been mopped! The bathroom facilities are cleaned by the employees.

Allow stores to be individualized in some areas of operation. Small communities with steady clientele can not move Designer Deals and repeat contest items at the same rate larger, centrally located stores can. Some parts of the country are dealing with droughts, changing demographics, high unemployment, etc. and employees at these location should not be threatened with lose of hours/job for not meeting standards on Designer Deals, contest items, preferred cards, etc. It would be nice if more hours were given to stores so that customer service does not have to suffer because all employees are stocking, do price changes, etc. Quality time must be spent with the customer if you expect them to become "regulars".

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

Great opportunity to succeed and room for advancement.

Cons

Need to change culture. However this can be achieved.

Positive!!!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Reno, NV

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I look forward to starting my new position. The benefits seem fair and my new boss is very nice.

Cons

I'm still waiting for the new store to open. Many pitfalls with permits not ready in time for the store opening.

Hope there is more training involved once we start working.