Hancock Fabrics

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.4

Steven R. Morgan

Pros
  • I have had great co-workers, friendly management, and the job is quiet easy (in 7 reviews)

• Fun environment, a lot of great customers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You always have to push customers to buy Designer Deals or the Monthly item(s) which tends to make the customer unhappy (in 11 reviews)

• I started at minimum wage, and was informed that was company policy (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good, nice people, work environment, and customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norman, OK

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of room to learn new things.

Cons

Store becomes disorderly after a lot of customers come through.

Great at the store level, awful in upper management.

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting people with similar interest and swapping skills. The store does well at its' own level, the management is a good team. I like being able to see the new fabrics and products.

Cons

It's all about selling. Corporate doesn't seem to care about the stores or the employees. They say they "care" about the customers however they try to shove things down their throats.
    The designer deals program is a joke and our customers aren't afraid to say it in the store. When it started it was told to the employees only the first year would be free; making some of us call and cancel, fearing it would be taken out of our paychecks. Now with the "lottery" there really isn't an incentive to sell them. A nationwide lot doesn't give good odds and needing two to be entered even once is ridiculous. If enough aren't sold we're threatened with being fired, adding to the stress.
    The contest item is always troublesome if it isn't something useful. Thread, scissors, and web bond are a few of the good ones because they work and our customers can always use them.
     The pay is low for the work expected. We're expected to run fabric, cut fabric, check at the register, unload the truck, answer the phone, check e-mails, and be perfect salesmen at the same time. It's very stressful and exhausting.

Overhaul upper management and have them open their eyes. Treat your employees and the store level with respect and they will work for you. Continue to treat them as you are and you'll continue to have a high turn over rate. Most of the reviews are saying the same thing when it comes to many points. Perhaps that should tell you that you need to look into what they're saying.

Best for part-time work

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

Flexible scheduling, relaxed atmosphere and dress code

Cons

Only a .40 cent raise for assistant manager. Usually understaffed.

Over worked, bothered on days off

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great insurance holiday pay
    Vacation time
    Sick time

Cons

Requirments
    Days off
    Long days

Do our job for few days

Run Away!

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The customers are amazing! You see a lot of the same people over and over. You get to build a customer service relationship with them.

Cons

Management is a joke. I have worked at three different locations, and its all the same. Policies are hard to follow because each person seems to have their own that they expect you to follow. Nothing is set in stone. The pay is poor. A supervisor position barely makes over minimum wage. The entire job becomes miserable and unbearable. Save yourself the trouble.

Keep a closer eye on the stores. Make sure everyone is on the same page. Understand that people need a livable wage.

Good Employees, terrible corporate management.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic Co-workers. Generally good customers. Always new fabrics (which is dangerous for your paycheck if you like fabrics).

Cons

Corporate policies. Pressures to sell unwanted things to customers who you care about. Having to lie (or "fudge the truth") about products to sell them when asked to do so by corporate.

Take some time to care about your employee as well as your customers. It isn't all about money, and you would make more money if people trusted you to not shove worthless products down their throats every time they came in the store.

Fun job

Current Employee - Store Manager in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very low stress level. Stocking process least complicated of any other company. Decent pay for lack of huge workload

Cons

Part timers aren't paid well. Turnover high if living in expensive city. Payroll is always tight so much of the tasking falls to salaried manager.

Supervisor- okay part time job, shouldn't be a career.

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

Fun environment, a lot of great customers. There are a ton of regulars which makes it easy to create a social environment.

Cons

Poor pay, coperate expects too much of stores without giving enough payroll to actually complete tasks.

Great company gone bad

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and great customers, worked there 26 years first 20 were great had understanding upper management.

Cons

Managers have to work 50 + hours every week with only a few part time employees. Sales staff hours have been cut to nothing.

Cut upper management some and find the money to put extra help in the stores.

Great Job but demanding.

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

Opportunity for advancement. You are challenged to sell a lot of extras such as Designer Deals and Contests. You are given an opportunity to develop your management skills by working here.

Cons

Takes a toll on your personal life. Like much of retail, you need more payroll. There really isn't any explanation as to how payroll is given. Tasks are often added without additional payroll.