Hancock Fabrics Reviews

Reset

1. merchandiser/ sales associate

Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can work with fabrics and merchandise at the same time. Would love to work full time, but the only hire part-time

Cons

Can't think of any thing

2. Stressful

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuine connection with loyal customers,

Cons

Not enough payroll for business demands. No Work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Support stores through hands-on training.

no respect for employees

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

fantastic customers, employee discounts, wide variety of fabrics, knowledgeable staff.

Cons

have to sell useless DDs and 'contest'' items (what contest - no one 'wins' anything except the district managers); low pay for hard physical work that actually requires knowing a skill (sewing) and fabrics inside and out. No respect for employees - never given encouragement or recognition, always harped on for not working fast enough and not selling enough DDs and contest items with threats of write-ups. have to use a clear plastic tote for personal items brought to work (no purses) and have it and uniform pockets searched when you leave. no place to lock up personal belongings while working and break room is unlocked while store is open. always understaffed. work schedule doesn't come out until the noon on friday for the upcoming sunday - saturday workweek (i.e. 36 hrs notice), which makes planning anything impossible, especially weekends. schedule might be randomly changed midweek without notifying employees so you have to check it daily.

Advice to Management

respect your employees. show some appreciation for hard work done. get the schedule out a week earlier so employees can plan their life.

Interesting if you like fabric and sewing ideas

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ladies I work with are very knowledgable about fabrics and sewing. I am constantly learning from my customers!

Cons

Pay is not competitive with other local jobs that require less expertise. Coupons are confusing to the customers so they just hand the cashier their flyer and tell us to find the ones that work. Many coupons are printed that they will not work in combinations but they do. It is time consuming for the cashier to fInd and cut out coupons while other customers are waiting.

Advice to Management

People are tired of the same contest items over and over! Our customers are patrons and they have contest items from years past.

I like my job very much!

Current Employee - Cashier/Cutter/Stocker
    Current Employee - Cashier/Cutter/Stocker

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My store manager is fantastic. She finds ways to help me and the other employees sell Designer Deals and whatever product incentive there is. She makes sure that all employees carry the workload evenly. If there is one aspect of your job that you enjoy more than another she tries to accomodate you and the others so that you find maximum joy while at work. She doesn't allow poor sportsmanship (so to speak) or bad attitudes without addressing the issue immediately. Our store is very blessed to have her as the store manager. I hope she never leaves!

Cons

Salary could sure use improvement. The Designer Deal and product incentives are shoved down our throat and in turn we are pressured by those over the store manager to sell them or face consequeces. I find that to be very unfortunate because without that element in the equation my job would be near perfect.

Advice to Management

Hancock Fabrics needs to realize that rural areas such as ours will not sell D.D.'s as well as larger cities where people purchase larger quantities of fabric and have more resources. The trickle down effect of "punishment" for not selling these programs is demeaning. I think Hancock Fabrics needs to realize that customers are smarter than they think. Most are quite leery of these kinds of programs and will not purchase them. If they do purchase a D.D. then they go right home and cancel. In addition, we are pressured to reduce the use of the coupons in the flyer and if too many are used then we are accused of "abusing" the coupons. Don't print them if you don't want people using them. If you don't want stores to hand out your flyers, don't send them to the individual stores. It's crazymaking! Hand them out to increase sales and advertising but discourage the use of coupons is completely counterproductive.

7. Fun retail job

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are usually polite because they're there for specific reasons, sometimes you get to help with really interesting projects. When it gets busy it's still not too terrible.

Cons

Work environment depends on store manager, sometimes chemicals are present that can set off allergies, pay raises don't really happen

Great at the store level, awful in upper management.

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting people with similar interest and swapping skills. The store does well at its' own level, the management is a good team. I like being able to see the new fabrics and products.

Cons

It's all about selling. Corporate doesn't seem to care about the stores or the employees. They say they "care" about the customers however they try to shove things down their throats. The designer deals program is a joke and our customers aren't afraid to say it in the store. When it started it was told to the employees only the first year would be free; making some of us call and cancel, fearing it would be taken out of our paychecks. Now with the "lottery" there really isn't an incentive to sell them. A nationwide lot doesn't give good odds and needing two to be entered even once is ridiculous. If enough aren't sold we're threatened with being fired, adding to the stress. The contest item is always troublesome if it isn't something useful. Thread, scissors, and web bond are a few of the good ones because they work and our customers can always use them. The pay is low for the work expected. We're expected to run fabric, cut fabric, check at the register, unload the truck, answer the phone, check e-mails, and be perfect salesmen at the same time. It's very stressful and exhausting.

Advice to Management

Overhaul upper management and have them open their eyes. Treat your employees and the store level with respect and they will work for you. Continue to treat them as you are and you'll continue to have a high turn over rate. Most of the reviews are saying the same thing when it comes to many points. Perhaps that should tell you that you need to look into what they're saying.

9. Over worked, bothered on days off

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great insurance holiday pay Vacation time Sick time

Cons

Requirments Days off Long days

Advice to Management

Do our job for few days

10. Best for part-time work

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics

Pros

Flexible scheduling, relaxed atmosphere and dress code

Cons

Only a .40 cent raise for assistant manager. Usually understaffed.

Run Away!

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers are amazing! You see a lot of the same people over and over. You get to build a customer service relationship with them.

Cons

Management is a joke. I have worked at three different locations, and its all the same. Policies are hard to follow because each person seems to have their own that they expect you to follow. Nothing is set in stone. The pay is poor. A supervisor position barely makes over minimum wage. The entire job becomes miserable and unbearable. Save yourself the trouble.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on the stores. Make sure everyone is on the same page. Understand that people need a livable wage.

RSS Feed </> Embed