Hancock Fabrics Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Put me out of my miseries

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love taking to customers about projects , never visited by district manager.

Cons

Never see upper management, no follow up training from district manager. Company only focus on designer deals, surveys and contest items. Several good managers were terminated for not making goals.

Advice to Management

Might want to conduct surprise visit on district manager to make sure they're seeing stores on regular scheduled visits. Make sure district are not run by other managers visits and store walks are not conducted by their piers.

Management

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time

Pros

Can be a fun and creative job

Cons

low pay. high pressure sales tactics

Advice to Management

Get rid of Designer Deals

NO PAYROLL

Pros

The only pro in this job is to stroke your creative juices. There are so many cons, its not worth the effort.

Cons

No payroll. Running a store with 2 people all day. Filthy stores, tons of tasks on 125 hours per week, grumbly customers, poor high crime locations. Company in deep financial trouble: just borrowed money to get out of debt on the first quarter, and now in the throes of selling their corporate HQ and distribution center to rent it back (the only asset the company has left.) to get through the second quarter. Thinking of going to work for Hancock? They are on their way out.

Advice to Management

You have forgotten the customer completely. Your miserly payroll has forced stores to run slipshod. You put far too much emphasis on contests and a designer deal program than you put on the condition of your stores. If you cant do better than this, just close us down.

5. anonymous

Current Employee - Texas in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Conroe, TX

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Hancock fabrics for 18 months. I have been offered a supervisor/key holder position. Mostly nights and weekends. Love the people I work for.

Cons

Unsure what the pay is going to be

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Plus more hours.

Job

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great fabric good employee discount. Wonderful customers and very eager to spend their money on quality product

Cons

Management is poor quality and never trained on employee relations. This can and will be Hancocks down fall in a number of its store. Staff will not put up with this behavior for very long.

Advice to Management

Look at each store as standing on its own what works for might not work for another. Also learn who your customers are they are not just dollar signs they are what makes your company money. Treat your staff as people and train your managers to do the same.

7. Supervisor

Pros

Room for growth. Flexible with schedule, fun environment. Many more things to experience, learn a lot would definitely reccomend to someone in the fashion industry

Cons

Retail hours, part time only, theres not much to say about cons since I really like my job and I enjoy it everyday I work

Advice to Management

Promote good people not just your favorites. Pay attention to the employees and take a close look at who actually works and who just sits on their phone all day during their shift

8. Disappointment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Henrico, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Henrico, VA

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time

Pros

easy work, minimum - moderate customer flow, other employees very easy to get along with. Interview process wasn't intimidating.

Cons

Get paid minimum wage, only two employees on the clock at a time, store is always a mess, may lie to you in interview process about what they are going to hire you for.

Advice to Management

Please, hire more employees! The amount of work that needs to be done in the store is not enough for two individuals.

HORRIBLE COMPANY

Former Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA

Pros

There are no pros other than the customers

Cons

everything from terrible pay, no work life balance, unreasonable demands on managers to execute long lists of tasks with no payroll. My last week there exceeded 100 hours at work, previous weeks averaged about 70 hours. No time for employee meetings or training, no payroll for freight assistance. Busy sales and specials without payroll to support it .DM's are terrible and constantly seeking out store managers to do their work for them. Always getting verbal directives from DM's to change discounts or alter employee hours and other things that were unethical. DM's smart to give you verbal not written so they can back out later and hold you accountable. This is the worst organization I've ever worked for. I'm amazed they still exist.

Advice to Management

Pay your managers better and give them the support they need. Stop pinching payroll. If you want happy customers you need adequate staff in the store to maintain, serve and give proper attention. Your revenue will increase when you start answering to customers and not stock holders.

10. merchandiser/ sales associate

Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Hancock Fabrics part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can work with fabrics and merchandise at the same time. Would love to work full time, but the only hire part-time

Cons

Can't think of any thing

11. Stressful

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuine connection with loyal customers,

Cons

Not enough payroll for business demands. No Work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Support stores through hands-on training.

RSS Feed </> Embed