Hancock Holding

Updated December 15, 2014
3.2

Hancock Holding CEO, COO, and Director John M. Hairston
John M. Hairston

Excellent company to work for.

I worked at Hancock Holding

Pros

Gives branch managers approval on their own loans.

Cons

While I was employed from 2004-2012 upper management made it clear to never contact human resources with a problem.

Management has been changed. Recommend working for this company.

I thought they were good at first

Current Employee - Financial Services Associate
    Current Employee - Financial Services Associate

I have been working at Hancock Holding (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to move up fast at first. I went from part time teller to full time teller then a platform. I worked at the main branch at first so I was constantly busy which was good but i was later transfered to a closer branch so I wasn't making such a long commute. The part time tellers make good money but when I went full time they give you less money. I had to fight to get more then the starting pay cause they wanted to pay me the same as some one who had no experience and I had 2 years of experience already. Now that I'm platform I'm still making like 5 dollars less then others in the same position.

Cons

Unfortunately the branch I transferred to doesn't really have any management. They never made their goals and the other staff would get away with stuff cause they were friends with the immediate management. I enjoy what I do but I'm the only one with goals so it puts a lot of pressure on me and then I end up doing a teller position too cause they are always short handed so I can never fully focus on my job. I have finally got the branch meeting the goals. And also the policies are always changing and they dont inform us at the branch so we are constantly having to redo things or we look bad in front of the customers cause we say one thing and its another. The good people always get reprimanded or laid off but those who don't do their work stays and gets good pay.

They need to clean out those who don't do their job and pass it on to everyone else. Look at the pay if you want them to stay. Cause if I went somewhere else I could make a lot more money.

Teller

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Hancock Holding

Pros

Benefits, if full time work one Saturday a month

Cons

Long hours, not good enough pay

Unimpressed with lack of quality of management

I have been working at Hancock Holding full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tenured benefits are above average if you have the patience for mediocrity

Cons

Lack of leadership and poor decision making undermine the organization's ability to prosper.

Upgrade quality of staff.

Consumer bank

Former Employee - Loan Processing in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Loan Processing in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Hancock Holding full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my coworkers they were knowledgeable. We had departments that were specialized for the more difficult process

Cons

The challenges I faced was that Hancock took over a large commercial bank. They were mainly a consumer bank so it was difficult for me to do my job when small minded people were running the department

Listen to the people that do the job. Ask their opinions and see what you can do to make there jobs more efficient

fantastic

I worked at Hancock Holding

Pros

Very good company to work for.

Cons

Consider discussing promotions, training, personal growth

Rewarding but Disappointing

Former Employee - (Operational) Risk Officer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - (Operational) Risk Officer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Hancock Holding full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, within the business lines, you get to work with are very bright and want to do innovative things. They are, for the most part, easy to work with and typically welcome you in as a partner. They are very busy and under enormous pressure to produce. So, don't mistake their lack of prompt responsiveness for being rude

Cons

Dated approach of senior management. Mainly, the legacy Whitney staff is still very much involved in decision making and have antiquated mindsets. There are opportunities to maximize work/life balance via technology solutions but management in many areas continues to fight the opportunities these solutions afford. The company has recently, continually invested in solutions to provide greater work flexibility but managers do not allow the use, when practical.

Clean house of the staff that is past its prime. Primarily, many legacy Whitney staff are either retired in place or mgih as well be. They don't have new ideas, are not equipped for the future plans of the company and will continue to be a hindrance to the company's success and the value their positions would otherwise contribute to the company. Some of these people are in senior positions and contribute to the dissatisfaction and turnorver of newer hires.

Risk Officer position is hampered by micro-managing and a lack of leadership. You will not be able to contribute to the thought leadership of the department, as the job listing may state. Also, if you meet the preferred job qualifcations, you will be overqulaified on paper. Further, you will be frustrated because you will not have the leeway to exercise your prior experience. The front-line manager only want "mini-me's" and can only see doing things one way - his. He is not, at all, accepting of new ideas/approaches. In general, doesn't listen to new ideas and is a poor communicator. Lack of training and development and no long-term career path...unless maybe you leave for another department.

Difficult to obtain direction from Executive Management

I worked at Hancock Holding full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Liked doing various new technology projects

Cons

Upper Management communications to Lower Level Management is poor

Engage in bi-monthly communications to discuss needs and difficulties with ongoing projects and managment

Hancock gets it done!!

Current Employee - Financial Services Associate II in Destin, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Services Associate II in Destin, FL

I have been working at Hancock Holding full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quick to handle situations that may arise. Great customer and associate service!! All services and products are offered in house and are serviced in house which creates an incredibly fast turnaround time.

Cons

Hancock Holding Company has been involved in takeovers and buyouts of several bank branches and elected to close multiple locations for cost saving effects which does not help with customer retention.

Work in progress.

I worked at Hancock Holding full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, great corporate culture and high integrity.

Cons

Weak management information systems, inconsistent strategy and integration pains.

Balance pressure for revenue growth with commitment to a sound risk culture.