Hand and Stone Spa
www.handandstonecareers.com Hamilton, NJ 1000 to 5000 Employees

Hand and Stone Spa Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

An excellent place for new therapists.

Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time for more than a year

ProsAll your clients are booked for you yet you retain control over your booking preferences. Very flexible hours.

ConsThe pay is far too low for the more successful or experienced therapists. therapists are paid per service and compensation increase is rare and rarely enough.

Stressful, very disorganized

Membership Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Cherry Creek Highlands, CO

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time for less than a year

ProsA massage or facial once a month. Friendly co-workers.

ConsHigh employee turn over rate due to owners lack of patience. 63 front desk girls in a year. If that doesnt tell you something then I dont know what will. Owner lets the clients think they can do whatever they want, making them very rude. She has many client "friends" that are hard to keep track of. Multiple clients think they deserve some kind of discount because they know the owner. The clients therefore treat the front desk awful because we dont know who to "hook up" or not. The owner could care less how her employees are treated as long as she gets her money. Not enough pay for the stress of working this job. Zero benefits, even with working overtime. Speaking of overtime, owner doesnt believe in paying overtime, which is ridiculous considering she is so short staffed that working overtime isn't an option.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat majority of the clients the same. Needs way more communication of daily changes in the spa. ORGANIZE!!! Can't tell you how much more frustrating this job is when paperwork is everywhere. Memberships aren't being frozen/cancelled due to lack of organization. If you can't handle one spa, I wouldn't suggest opening another. Focus on keeping the spa you have open and running smoothy before you abandon it for another spa.

No consistency

Massage Therapist (Current Employee)
Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time for less than a year

ProsI like that we are paid out our tips in cash at the end of the night. That is about the only good thing I have to say about this place.

ConsInconsistency in the rules and pay structure. Never notified of rule changes or pay changes ahead of time, it's just thrown on us. Was promised hourly vs commission, we now work on tip wage. Not busy at all, owners let clients walk all over the employees. Expect us to go above and beyond and are not compensated. Put "on-call" as a way to not pay us hourly when we are slow. Time management is a huge problem with add-on services. Owners show favoritism towards certain employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe overall work environment needs to change. We need to be told ahead of time about upcoming changes. There needs to be an equal balance of keeping employees and clients happy. It can't be one or the other. Nobody will work for "tip wage" especially when we were told when hired that it was hourly ($8.25) vs commission. Owners need to take business classes first before opening up another one. Every employee needs to be treated as equal.

Current Employee

Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time for less than a year

ProsMy LMT coworkers are talented, experienced and are extremely fun to work with, as are the estheticians and spa associates/reception people.

ConsTotal lack of communication between management and staff. Things don't just change from day today, but, at times, minute to minute. It is an assembly line massage salon, and you've got to be ready to work harder than you ever imagined for very poor pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some management

it was like a massage envy or elements by another name

Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the clients were awesome. I had the chance to learn a few treatments and modalities that I previously had no exposure.

ConsSome of the clients were not so awesome but I guess you can encounter this anywhere. The Highlands Ranch, CO location is next to a martial arts place. It was quite disruptive to therapists and clients to hear the people next door working out.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish more was done to retain good people. Massage therapists are not known to be the most stable but it is a bit ackward explaining to clients how their favorite therapist is no longer working there.

Reliable part-time job

Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee)
Spring Lake Heights, NJ

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery flexible schedule, cash tips plus paycheck, 401K plan. For those who works full-time 4-5 days/week the average amount of money is 600$/week.

ConsNot reliable as the only income to support a family. No ways to improve your pay because you get paid per massage plus tips. It averages 30-40$ hour.

No money or clients

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

ProsFlexible. Commission is pretty good. Nothing good to say really. The place is usually run by one or several idiots that know nothing about the spa industry

ConsAnyone can open one. They are slow and they don't pay you to be there. You only make commission. No salary no benefits. No point. This place will make you hate what you do. I don't understand the point of this place or massage envy for that matter. It's a halfassed spa turned massage factory. They carry clarityrx and dermalogica which are two completely different product lines with conflicting concepts. No one will buy the sh!t bc it's overpriced and they obviously came for a 49 dollar massage or facial

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have wasted my time. I have excelled less as a result and completely abandoned my profession. Thanks

Very dissatisfied with my short time at Hand and Stone. I had a bad manager that didn't know how to manage people.

SPA Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time for more than a year

ProsPretty salon with nice massage therapists and estheticians. Easy to get to work in a nice shopping center. Close to home.

ConsManager is unprofessional and disorganized. She has unrealistic expectations and does not communicate and is not a good manager. Very nasty and in over hear head.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers and pay your staff. Your business model is not working.

Unprofessional franchise to work for

Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

ProsI would say the clients are the only reason. They get affordable membership plans and licenseworkers and clean friendly relaxation experience. The organic products that aren't used on tested animals.

ConsThis corporate company, is ridiculous and money making thieves. The owners are clueless about how spa industry is difficult on us employees. They are greedy when it comes to booking appointments back to back. People pay for a full hour service but in reality they only get 50 mins etc. when the truth is, we the employees all know a good service never happens in a short period of time. "Only if you want to give them a crappy service". You cant speak to your clients on a one to one relationship because there is really no time in between. Plus the only time u can, is when u greet them, review their intake form and telling them I will be outside with a cup of water and walk you to the front desk, just to sell a pitch to make them come back. Correct me if I'm wrong, I completely understand everyone has hetic shedules & people run late. By all means cut their time short up to your decision. This is a great place to work right out of school or permit sponsor, but don't degrade yourself, because we are worth more than what they can pay. Okay, so for L.M.T s they have 3 pay tiers but overall it is so low. So basically you will have to upsell on services to make ends meet. You are not paid for training or hourly, only for what is booked. They can lower your pay if you don't get booked in a time frame. They only give you one uniform and make u pay for your own attire. There is no communication between the front desk receptionist. They don't know how to book appointments Tip* ( why don't u suggest on new non members to come 15 prior to your appointment, so it gives us time to get them in the room and wait for them to undress and fillout the intake form or use the bathroom). Jus sayin* This is one spa to stay away from, because it will burn you out. No benefits, and you have to get your own insurance. NO trade ins only for training new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your employees.Be considerate. Communication needed to be address.

There's a reason why you are paid well, you have to deal with their customers.

Cosmetics Counter Manager (Former Employee)
Tigard, OR

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time for more than a year

Pros*Great Benefits
*20% Employee Discount
*Very well merchandised store
*You meet all kinds of people

Cons*Always have to work through July for Anniversary sale
*They tell you to be fair about commissions but then are punished for not being aggressive enough
*Feel the pressure to look perfect
*Dealing with Nordstom customers can really break a nice person down

Advice to Senior ManagementActually help the employees, do what you say you will and show that you at least care a little bit.

Worked for Hand and Stone Spa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hand and Stone Spa reviews and ratings. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Hand and Stone Spa employees.