Hand and Stone Spa Reviews

Updated May 2, 2015
115 reviews filtered by
3.3
CEO

Pros
  • This is a fairly easy job; you are answering phones and making appointments most of the time (in 4 reviews)

• It's a great place for new and experienced professionals in the business (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If the schedule gets behind it can be a little stressful with back to back appointments (in 7 reviews)

• NO commission off of new members who sign up after a service with you (front desk keeps the commission if it's sold) (in 6 reviews)

1. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Membership Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Membership Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

easy
    meeting many people
    high end clientele
    affordable prices
    benefits for employees
    good weekend hours
    on going training

Cons

franchise so every owner is different and every spa is set up to the owners liking
    with such a large staff sometimes people don't get along
    no pay raise system

Advice to Management

keep doing a good job with on going training and support with staff. i would implement a suggest pay raise system for the front desk and give them more opportunity to earn commissions

Current Employee

Current Employee - Management in Parker, CO
    Current Employee - Management in Parker, CO

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such an amazing company to work for. Always room for growth and always something to learn.

Cons

Working on weekends is always a downer but that is probably my only complaint.

Advice to Management

I love everyone that works up in management with me. Everyone cares about the staff and their needs, wants, and concerns.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

Our spa is a great place to work. Lots of support from owners and fellow therapists. Good morale. We work together as a team and we all benefit.

Cons

Sometimes we are a bit slow in the early morning hours but it all evens out by the end of the day. Would like health insurance benefits and I think the owners are working on that. We do have accident insurance and short term disability insurance available to us.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and you will continue to grow!

Have had a great experience with this job.

Current Employee - Esthetician in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Owned by an amazing Esthetician. Also- they are very flexible.

Cons

Cheap facials equal little tips

6. Hand & Stone is a Fantastic company!

Current Employee - SPA Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - SPA Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rewarding & Challenging, I like that I am in control of my pay so I determine how much I pay, I love interacting with the clients and members family style environment, free service once -a month

Cons

No Cons ...this is the best job I ever had which has turned into my career

Advice to Management

I love our owners, they are beyond supportive and truly help their employees strive for the best

7. Hand and Stone offers many opportunities for business growth and development.

Current Employee - Owner
    Current Employee - Owner

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Biggest pros would include great corporate support that's dynamic and works together as a team, plenty of opportunities to build up and expand revenue streams and a strong compensation program that helps in retaining and attracting good employees.

Cons

A better, more coordinated recruitment strategy, especially for LMT's, would be very helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the great work that's you're doing. You react very well to the needs of business owners on the ground.

I love working for Hand & Stone!

Current Employee - Lead SPA Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Lead SPA Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The ongoing education that Hand & Stone offers through Hand & Stone University, ClarityRx Clinical Skincare, and Dermalogica is fantastic. Since working at this company (August, 2014) I've attended multiple classes and webinars and gained a lot of information on products and sales tactics. I also like that you are in control of your pay. As an associate, the more memberships you sell, the more money you make/hour. For each month to month membership that you sell, you get paid $10. So say you're hourly pay is $10. If you sell a membership for every hour you're working, you've technically made $20/hour. I think it's a great tool to encourage SA's to sell memberships and be in control of their pay at the same time.

Cons

The only downsides I would have to say about working for Hand & Stone would be that it's individually owned (franchise) so each location has a different set of owners. I've been fortunate enough to have amazing owners, but I couldn't imagine working for owners who were the complete opposite of who I work for now. I also would like to see the company eventually provide health/dental care or have a 401k available for their employees.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would give to management is to maybe work on getting benefits for the employees. While Hand & Stone does receive discounts for their employees for some things, it would be nice to get benefits through the company itself.

9. massage therapist

Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time

Pros

Great opportunities for learning

Cons

There is not any for now

Advice to Management

Doing a great job

In general a good company dependent on franchise owner.

Former Employee - Esthetician
    Former Employee - Esthetician

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive wage, ongoing training for skin care, advancement possibilities

Cons

Not all franchise owners have any previous spa experience and therefore don't understand how one should be run.

Advice to Management

There needs to be some form of training for all new franchise owners to educate them on Spa ownership. Ie....importance of not overbooking staff, basic cost of living increases/bonuses and choosing quality staff.

Good workplace

Current Employee - Membership Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Membership Sales Associate

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

Relaxing environment, free monthly massages, great co workers, there is commission for selling memberships which are easy to sell to happy clients. Loved the atmosphere and the clients were generally easy going.

Cons

Mostly it's not the best paying position to work at the front desk. Can be dull doing the same thing all day but overall a pretty low stress job and pleasant place to be.

Advice to Management

The online booking system has some bugs that need to be fixed. It can be hard to communicate with the massage therapists when they are busy and in the therapy rooms. I was very happy with management but it was a few years ago.

Hand and Stone Spa Photos