Hand and Stone Spa
www.handandstonecareers.com Hamilton, NJ 1000 to 5000 Employees

Hand and Stone Spa Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

One of the best places I have ever worked!

Manager (Current Employee)
Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time for less than a year

ProsFrom the minute I walked into my interview I have felt nothing but positive vibes from the owners all the way down to the employees. It's very much a family atmosphere! They have made me feel comfortable and cared about. I have read other reviews about this company and all I can say is NONE of it is true!

ConsIn my time here I haven't really ran into any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing! You have a beautiful spa! Hand and Stone Wheaton is a step above the rest

A great experience!

Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time for less than a year

ProsI love working here. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. It's a great place for new and experienced professionals in the business. The senior staff members are willing to go out of their way to help those with less experience. The owners are awesome and strive to promote a positive environment. The people who are positive and work hard are rewarded with bonuses and commission and new clients and/or clients who return frequently. I like the membership program- this encourages people who wouldn't regularly return, an incentive for coming back each month, which is good thing for me. If you are willing to do a tiny bit of extra work-sell products/ upgrades/promote memberships-you are rewarded with extra commission. The owners entered into the business with limited knowledge of the spa industry but they are also frequently present and bend over backwards to support staff and customers- which shows they care about their employees and their customers. I noticed some negative reviews but if you are willing to share constructive feedback they are willing to listen and improve the working environment for everyone. It's not so much a place for people who just want to complain and not offer help or suggestions for improvement-it's a place where those who work as a team for the good of everyone experience success. At this location the spa associates are well trained and follow the booking procedures so the massage therapists and estheticians get the breaks they need. People are willing to cover for each other. Overall it's a great experience and I look forward to going to work everyday.

ConsThe only thing was that it was slow due to the bad winter-but as soon as the weather picked up so did the business (and my paycheck!)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Keep learning the spa industry and working with your employees to make the spa an awesome place to work.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Nothing but a great experience!

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros-Steady clientele
-Great Education
-Friendly Co-workers
-Love the products
-Competitive pay
-Neat and organized
-Good value for clients
-Always respected

ConsI would say the biggest con is not being able to predict your paycheck. I guess that's the risk with commission though so if you're up for the challenge it's really no problem. We had a rough winter this year so I was a little worried but once the whether picked up things were really back to normal.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your numbers to stay consistent make sure that product is in stock consistently. It's hard to keep retail numbers up when products are often out of stock.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

its ok if u dont have responsibilities

Esthetician (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time for less than a year

Prosthe owner was pretty cool

Consless than commission; you get your check after 2 weeks, and you wonder what you've been doing with your life for that time!

Advice to Senior Managementpay hourly so you dont have high turnover

Good place for someone starting out

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time for less than a year

ProsBrand new place and great co-workers

ConsCustomer volume low so staff is light which leaves no room for emergency situations

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to offer hourly salary to ALL employees until business picks up.

Sweat shop

Esthetician (Former Employee)
Royersford, PA

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa for less than a year

ProsProducts and supplies bought for u, clients booked for u

ConsRun like a sweat shop, no breaks in between, no pay if no clientele = illegal when they make u sit there on site.

I can't give it below one star?

Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
Arvada, CO

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time for less than a year

ProsI met some really nice ladies in my short time with Hand and Stone. I still keep in touch with most of them which has been nice.

ConsUGH. Where to begin. This was by far the worst experience I have ever had in massage. I have been a therapist for nearly 10 years and nothing prepared me for this cluster. First and foremost the owner promised me one pay scale when I was hired. When all the employees received the first check it was like...wait whats this? We were all underpaid from what we were told. The business at that point lost all trust from the employees. I ended up making about 2 dollars an hour. The paychecks are printed with zero information so if you don't keep track of things on your own, good luck. The tips aren't kept track of properly, other technicians names were on tips that were mine and vice versa. The owner constantly changed his mind on every aspect of the business. One day this is the rule next day that totally changed. He would tell one person and not another. It was a stressful environment. Massages were booked after my shift and I was told I would have to stay and do them. If I said no I was treated different. Harassing text messages were sent from the owner demanding I come in to work while I was sick... I could go on and on, do yourself a favor, work ANYWHERE else.

Advice to Senior ManagementHmm how about you treat everyone fairly? Stop giving one person special treatment and walking all over others? Breaks aren't just fun times for us, on busy days, we actually need them. It's not ok to "squeeze" in another person and make me stay after my shift for it. Its not ok to shorten my break to extend someone for 90 min. Its not ok to book add ons to an already shortened service and expect me to be on time for my next appt. Try walking a day in our shoes. No seriously, try it.

Okay for a massage mill

Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
Morristown, NJ

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time for more than a year

Proscamaraderie, nice working conditions

ConsQuick turn over from one massage to the next, booking massages back to back with out breaks

Advice to Senior Managementgive breaks to your therapists don't book multiple massages back to back

A good place to start.

Langhorne, PA

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time

ProsAt this particular location, I am pretty happy. The spa is clean, the staff is professional and polite and our manager is very good at what he does. Everything is provided to us. I enjoy my co-workers. Nice big break room for when we're waiting for our clients, with a full kitchen. The pay isn't terrible at this location because I usually have a steady stream of clients. I love the product lines we use - Clarity and Dermalogica. Everything is very organized here.

ConsThere are some days where things aren't so organized, but it's so much better than many places. The front desk sometimes books people at odd times making things a little difficult or stressful (back to back appointments can be brutal), but they don't do it very often, at least not to the estheticians. We need a lounge area for our guests, since it's tough when they need to be with a massage therapist who isn't ready for them yet and I need to flip my room for the next guest. Where am I supposed to put them? Sometimes our manager can get cranky and overwhelmed because he's taking on so much. The clients here are very hit or miss...many of them are cheap and do not tip well. The steamers are unreliable and break often. Laundry is sometimes stressful because we run low on linens. The spa is usually open even during bad weather - so if you're unlucky enough to be scheduled to work, you might end up not getting paid that day even though you risked your life to get there. Uncool. You only get paid if you have a service.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate. When faced with major snow days (like today, 10 inches!) maybe close the spa? It's dangerous to have your employees to come out for what could be a zero-client (meaning no money) work day.

An excellent place for new therapists.

Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time for more than a year

ProsAll your clients are booked for you yet you retain control over your booking preferences. Very flexible hours.

ConsThe pay is far too low for the more successful or experienced therapists. therapists are paid per service and compensation increase is rare and rarely enough.

Worked for Hand and Stone Spa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hand and Stone Spa reviews and ratings. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Hand and Stone Spa employees.