Hand and Stone Spa

www.handandstonecareers.com
Profile Unclaimed

Great place for this time in my life and I was a die-hard-no-franchise-ever- type of person.

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Spring Lake, NJ
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Spring Lake, NJ

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Clients are provided. Linens and supplies: provided.Compensation: although much less than I ever earned in spas in the past 19 years, gratuities compensate for the difference. I don't put myself under the "stress" of back to back massages.. the more the better. This just happens to be MY mindset. Older, wiser, albeit different needs than those younger than myself, I am a team player.. why not! My compromise is that the location is 40 miles/savings per day than previous job.

Cons

Of course the main concern at a franchise is compensation and it is less, as stated above. Waiting to be called at home requires sitting at the phone if one is covering a shift, but that's the way it is.. if I minded it too much then I shouldn't be here

I think my boss is a caring individual.. I've worked for the best and worst and everyone in between and my employer does it right.

Do Yourself a Favor: Say NO to Hand and Stone Royersford

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royersford, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royersford, PA

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

Clients were great
    Supplies bought for u
    Ridiculously easy work

Cons

The owner. Plain and simple. Member numbers keep dwindling.

Good to start off but don't stay to long or you will break

Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Marlton, NJ
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience since its so busy, you will get a lot of hands on experience

Cons

No benefits, barely any breaks (you are practically a machine), god forbid you get sick, and could someone tell me what this "vacation time" that people speak of is?

Actually care about your employees

Franchise

Former Employee - SPA Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - SPA Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

The Pros really depend on which owner you are under.

Cons

My particular owner was a micro-manager. Sales goals are pressured. There is a handbook from corporate is a literal script that they want you to follow. Check-in calls.

Let up on Front Desk staff. Micromanaging by script does not make sales any better.

Overall

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Best reasons would be that it's easy to move up in payment tiers if you work long hours weekly.

Cons

Inconsiderate when it comes to schedule limits. Demands your loyalty/time when you have other commitments. Doesn't offer bonuses. Wearing all black all year round, no other colors may be worn under your work shirt and no khakis for summer. Runs out of stock. Doesn't listen when you try to speak to them, or simply overrides/talks over you.

Go around and listen to the different locations employees, not the owners for once. Because if your employees aren't happy neither are your clients.

sales associate

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time

Pros

discounts on products and you can also be a model for a Esthetician or MT and get a free facial or massage for their practice.

Cons

the training should be a little longer for the s.a.'s considering you have to remember scripts for the job. Too much cleaning for the pay.

Different experience at every location

Current Employee - SA/LE
    Current Employee - SA/LE

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at 4 Hand & Stones and the following have been consistent:
    • Commission based sales
    • Discounts on products and services
    • Equipment and supplies are provided
    • Clean, up-to-date environment
    • Compensated training with Dermalogica (this has been the most beneficial aspect for me personally)
    • Clientele is provided

3/4 of my managers have been exceptionally fantastic. 4/4 of them know and understand the spa business and treated the therapists with respect and understanding. 3/4 of the owners have been extremely kind and genuinely concerned about the well-being of their employees.

Cons

• Corporate - they are very demanding with overall sales in the spa. Quarterly visits usually resulted in lots of criticism and very stressed managers, which led to stressed therapists and SA's, which led to unsatisfied clients. They will urge employees to be very pushy with membership/product/upgrade sales. Over the past few years this pushy-ness has increased.

• No hourly pay/ Low commission rates - this is a company standard. There are a few H&S's throughout the country who will offer hourly minimum wage, but that decision is at the owner's discretion and is unlikely.

• Protocol - All services are to be consistent throughout the company, respectively. However, all MT/LE's know that not every client falls under the cookie-cutter diagnoses'. All facial services are expected to be performed step-by-step as it is printed in the manual (specific products for every service, down to exactly how much you should be using. No exceptions.)

The following have been an issue at 2/4 locations:

• Hard Selling - You absolutely must be comfortable with sales, otherwise you won't stay long. For SA's, the membership is the most stressful part of the job. Most managers expect a 20-25% conversion rate for new clients, if those expectations are not met they will either cut your hours, fire you, or provide consistent "constructive criticism" of your membership pitch. For Therapists, upgrades and product sales are the key. There have been instances where I have been told to recommend 3 skin care products per client per facial, which I refused to do.

• Scheduling - Therapists are not in charge of their schedules. I have seen MT/LE's work 6 hour days with no break. Corporate suggests 3 services at a time followed by a 1 hr break for MT's and 4 services for LE's. Not all managers will follow this rule.

The overall issue that is seen throughout the company is the lack of hourly pay and pressure to sell. Corporate seems to focus too much on sales, particularly memberships, and not enough on the quality of management and services.

If the corporate and their field managers had a warmer, friendlier attitude the company would universally be more harmonious. I've met with 3 of them and they all presented themselves with a sanctimonious, we-expect-more-from-you attitude.

great place to work if you have another job as well

Former Employee - Esthetician
    Former Employee - Esthetician

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time

Pros

they provide everything. Products, equipment and people in the door. They advertise well and treat their employees well.

Cons

The pay is terrible. Even if you have back to back appointments and sell products you won't ever make any real money. It's full commission with % for sales. But it's small potatoes. If you have no guest you have no money. But they expect you to keep up with laundry and clean everything. Even though there is no hourly pay. It can create some resentment to say the least

compensate your employees better

Not a good job for an Esthetician or Massage therapist.

Former Employee - Work Donkey in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Work Donkey in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

Newer equipment and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Weak product that doesn't show much of any results, and so customers eventually go elsewhere. Since this is a franchise, I have experienced 'unexperienced' owners to the industry-which makes it hard for us Esties and Massage Therapists to deal. They want you to have repeat clients, though they are good at referring your clients to other workers when you are not in-which makes your numbers look bad. Not a place to build clientele, as you have to sign an article stating you wont take any clients when you leave. A tricky company trying to make Estheticians and Massage Therapists into work donkeys with no real rewards. There is no future with this job, only good for passing time til you land a better one.

If you dont take care of your workers then you have to expect a large turnover rate. Colorado's Hand and Stone franchise needs to stop being so greedy with their workers, as without us, your company would be nothing-literally. Oh and the product is sad.

hit or miss

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

wonderful co-workers, great manager, awesome clients, I'm sure not all hand and stones are this bad

Cons

over worked, underpaid, owners unprofessional

Hand and Stone Spa Photos