Hand and Stone Spa

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
2.9

CEO

Pros
  • This is a fairly easy job; you are answering phones and making appointments most of the time (in 4 reviews)

• It's a great place for new and experienced professionals in the business (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If the schedule gets behind it can be a little stressful with back to back appointments (in 7 reviews)

• NO commission off of new members who sign up after a service with you (front desk keeps the commission if it's sold) (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to work if you have another job as well

Former Employee - Esthetician
    Former Employee - Esthetician

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time

Pros

they provide everything. Products, equipment and people in the door. They advertise well and treat their employees well.

Cons

The pay is terrible. Even if you have back to back appointments and sell products you won't ever make any real money. It's full commission with % for sales. But it's small potatoes. If you have no guest you have no money. But they expect you to keep up with laundry and clean everything. Even though there is no hourly pay. It can create some resentment to say the least

compensate your employees better

Not enough business.

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The spa is very pretty and most of my co-workers are wonderful. They pay for continuing education classes and just started paying vacation days.

Cons

Too many cancellations and no shows for which we don't get paid. No hourly rate only commission on the services you actually get to do. Minimal communication between management and therapists.

Don't threaten your therapists when they complain about their issues. Try to encourage them and listen with compassion. Make them feel that you really care about them and they will want to work even harder.

Not a good job for an Esthetician or Massage therapist.

Former Employee - Work Donkey in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Work Donkey in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

Newer equipment and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Weak product that doesn't show much of any results, and so customers eventually go elsewhere. Since this is a franchise, I have experienced 'unexperienced' owners to the industry-which makes it hard for us Esties and Massage Therapists to deal. They want you to have repeat clients, though they are good at referring your clients to other workers when you are not in-which makes your numbers look bad. Not a place to build clientele, as you have to sign an article stating you wont take any clients when you leave. A tricky company trying to make Estheticians and Massage Therapists into work donkeys with no real rewards. There is no future with this job, only good for passing time til you land a better one.

If you dont take care of your workers then you have to expect a large turnover rate. Colorado's Hand and Stone franchise needs to stop being so greedy with their workers, as without us, your company would be nothing-literally. Oh and the product is sad.

hit or miss

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

wonderful co-workers, great manager, awesome clients, I'm sure not all hand and stones are this bad

Cons

over worked, underpaid, owners unprofessional

AWFUL

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Columbia, SC

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

There are absolutely no pros what so ever. None. Nothing good I can say about this spa. Being a LMT for nearly five years, I can honestly say this is the WORST spa I have ever worked for.

Cons

"protocols", if you even want to call them that, are totally ridiculous. They don't nearly pay LMT's enough. Just all around terrible company. They can not even call themselves a spa. If you pride yourself as a Massage Therapist or anyone in the spa and beauty industry, I would highly recommend taking your skills else where.

Consider the fact that people have lives outside of work, emergencies happen that are unexpected. The reason why turn over is terrible in spas like this is A. people quickly realize what a real spa is and leave places such as hand and stone and B. they terminate people for calling out sick two times. Nevertheless, the best advice I can possibly give to management is please pay attention to the people with the SKILLS that are making the money for the company. Everyone at the particular location I worked at was unhappy and looking for other jobs. Within a month four people left. I just really can't stress how terribly this company is being ran. Please, please treat your therapists better.

Disappointed

Former Employee - Esthetician in Winter Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Winter Springs, FL

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time

Pros

Not sure that there are any.

Cons

They say they will take you right out of school, and give lots of training. Well that is totally false. They will tell you that you have potential and you are doing good but if you get a complaint they are not willing to train you on what you need to help you get better. Also if you do not have a client you will not get paid you will sit for hours waiting to get one.

Get better training in place and have more patience with a person straight out of school or do not hire them.

What you see is what you get

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa

Pros

Amazing people to work with.love the clients.

Cons

Horrible management, not so good with payroll,

You cant run a business without employees

Better sell the membership...

Current Employee - SPA Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - SPA Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time

Pros

I loved working here because of the people that I worked with. This is a fairly easy job; you are answering phones and making appointments most of the time. Training is difficult in the beginning, but you get a hang of your responsibilities quickly. Fairy competitive pay; raises depend on the owner of the spa. Discounted services and products.

Cons

If you do not sell enough memberships, you might as well just quit while you're ahead. You do a LOT of work (cleaning, answering phones, booking appointments, making sure therapists are working on schedule, etc) but this work is not appreciated, as membership sales are an absolute must.

Love Hand and Stone!

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

World class customer service with clients and employees. It a family atmosphere. Everyone nationwide is more then willing to share best practices.

Cons

Not all spas have the same specials

Owners are clueless, clients get jipped on add-on services

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Irving, TX

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The friendly LMT and LE coworkers. I had good times chit chatting with them in the break room.

Cons

The owners don't know anything about massage therapy nor anything about the spa industry in general. Owners don't do anything all day long except fold towels and sit in the office watching football. The lead therapist doesn't get along with anyone and all the coworkers gossip about how rue she is. The pay is horrible, you get 32% commission but barely any clients come in. If we have nothing for 4 CONSECUTIVE hours, they paid us $30 BUT they schedule appointments on purpose in a way that prevents you from being idle for 4 hours at a time. Lead therapist and owners are micro-managers and worry and complain about the most trivial things. Regarding add on services (peppermint scalp massage, hot towel hand treatment, and hot towel foot treatment, each is an extra 10 minutes added onto a massage) the owners and lead therapist expects you do a 70 minute service (50 minute massage plus a 10 minute add on treatment) in 60 minutes. They expect an hour and a half massage plus add on service to be done in 90 minutes. They do this so that the therapists can hurry and flip the room for the next client. This means the client is getting jipped about 10 minutes. That is not good business practice. Turnout rate is high here as well.

Learn about massage and the industry before you go investing into a franchise or even your own private business. Just because you have thousands of dollars to invest in a company doesn't mean you know what you're doing. And don't jip clients' service times just to rush clients in and out like cattle.

Hand and Stone Spa Photos