Hands-On Labs

Linda Jeschofnig

Order Processor, Trainer, Logisitics coordination

Former Employee - Sales Support in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Englewood, CO

I worked at Hands-On Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Close to the southwest area and the majority of the people that you work with are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Too much turn-around, never know how you stand with anyone in management, Ideas are put in motion before ideas are thought through.

Better communication, better clear instructions of what the goals are and the implementation of goals.

High employee turnover

Former Employee - Curriculum Writer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Curriculum Writer in Denver, CO

I worked at Hands-On Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have such high turnover that they're eager to hire. So it's easy to get a job there.

Cons

The work environment sucks, very hostile. As soon as you get hired, you'll want to leave.

Be human, treat people with respect.

Struggling To Be A Leader

I have been working at Hands-On Labs full-time

Pros

Work environment okay. Relaxed to a decent degree. Smaller company in a niche market which is very interesting and competitive.

Cons

Growing pains are apparent. The company's position in a very competitive niche market makes it necessary to continually adjust strategies which can be overwhelming.

don't do it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Hands-On Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

a few of the people are nice but good luck figuring out which ones they are. most everybody will stab you in the back

Cons

extremely high turnover rate, attempted mind games, playground for the rejects in grade school that get to act cool now

Hands On Labs grew from a small business with a hand full of people to over 50 while I was there, I learned a lot.

Former Employee - Lead AR in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Lead AR in Englewood, CO

I worked at Hands-On Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hands On Labs promotes Science Education, and has endless potential for growth.

Cons

They are feeling the growing pains all business feel when they grow that fast, still, it's a great place to work.

I think they know what they are doing, it just takes time, so maybe just to hang in there, I am sure they will meet or exceed all their goals.

Excellent product with committed employees to back it up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Hands-On Labs

Pros

Product promotes education in science
    Collaborative team environment
    Friendly, can-do attitude of employees
    Respectful interactions between all levels
    Learning opportunities abound
    Management willing to spend time with employees whenever needed

Cons

Staffing can't keep up with the growth of the company
    We do seem to schedule deadlines for major projects all at once, but then everyone pitches in to make sure the projects are successful.

Keep up the good work!

Small company, growing fast, forward thinking and empowering

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Hands-On Labs

Pros

Hands-On Labs is a small company that attained recognition by INC Magazine as one of the fastest growing privately held companies in the U.S. The company offers a product that enables our Military service men and women as well as disabled and able bodied students taking online science courses to complete their studies without having to go to campus to complete science labs.This product has changed and improved the lives of many. The company is in the process of moving toward ISO 9001:2008 Certification, has implemented new quality processes and made a substantial investment both in systems and employees to move to the next level.

I've worked at Hands-On Labs for just over a year and after 10 months I was granted a promotion. I noticed that the other post stated that there was a 60% turnover rate at the company. I would like to set the record straight on that issue. The actual turnover rate is about half of that, which is only slightly above average in general but completely in line with a company that requires a very specific talent pool.

Additionally, on the other's comments about communication and management, my thoughts are "speak up!" Any employee who doesn't raise their hand to help other departments is only hurting themselves. It's simply foolish to think that all of management knows every talent and skill that an employee has to offer. I've been allowed to assist in nearly every department here because I listen to what's going on around me and when there's a need, I literally raise my hand to offer assistance.

By the way...from what I can tell from the other post, that's a former employee not a current employee.

Cons

Initially, there was a consulting firm in-house that was trying to change the "culture" of the business but in reality only set the company back in that respect. Walls of communication did exist but once the consulting firm was gone, those walls came down. The company-wide team effort that has been displayed in the last 4 months speaks volumes to the leadership and management of the company.

Let down by lack of respect from management and their failure to see importance of implementing quality control measures

Current Employee - Technical Editor in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Editor in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Hands-On Labs

Pros

Online science learning concept
    Science-focused learning

Cons

High turnover rate (60% w/in one year)
    Senior managment's failure to respect the professional expertise employees bring to the organization
    Lack of quality control standards
    Lack of communication-information is filtered or not provided
    Micromangement to the extent it hinders growth and employee productivity
    Managment's interferene with communication between departments or failing to give the whole picture
    Lack of knowledge in publication and writing standards and ethics

Repect employees' professional expertise. If you want to grow, you need to be forward-thinking; the practices from the past do not work. Employees thrive on doing their job well, get out of the way and let them do it.