Handybook Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.3

Oisin Hanrahan

New innovative company, decent pay, nice staff. 80 percent of the customers expect a miracle!

Current Employee - Residential Housekeeper  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Residential Housekeeper in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Handybook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

This company affords decent pay, and great work-life balance. The management staff is courteous, and helpful when I contact them. They also provided cleaning supplies, as well as a a smartphone specifically for booking clients, and navigation to their homes.

Cons

The folks that are attracted to using a company such as this generally have never hired a cleaning professional, and have a very unreal idea about how much can be achieved during a 2 hour cleaning. I have cleaned homes independent from Handybook for many years, however 80% of the clients I have serviced through Handybook are slobs. A few homes I have been to could be on an episode of "Hoarders". Additionally, I have serviced 3 clients through them who wanted 4 plus loads of laundry folded and organized ( all four had booked a 2 hour cleaning), and they expected to have the laundry done and the home cleaned in 2 hours!

Folding of laundry should be an add-on service only, and should add 30 to 60 minutes to the clients booking.The clients need to be asked when the last time they cleaned there home was. If they haven't cleaned the home in over a month, and additional hour should be booked. If they have not cleaned in over 6 months, they will need to be informed that it may take 2 services to get their homes back up to par. The client should be asked if they have excess rubbish in the home. Clients should be quoted on the square footage of their home, not the number of bedrooms. A 3 bedroom home in this area (Atlanta Metro) can be well over 2000 square feet.

Phenomenal

Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Handybook full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are a million pros I could write about this job, truly. Office culture is top notch. Everyone is very, very intelligent, but not only that, they are also social, fun, and very diverse. The days fly by, I start work at 9am and only ever even think to look at the clock for the first time after 2:30pm. There's awesome office lunches and dinners catered every day & 2 happy hours a month on the company. Tons of snacks like multiple kinds of granola bars, chocolate, chips, candy, popcorn, crackers, peanut butter pretzels, fresh fruit, trail mix, fruit snacks..also fully stocked beverages like sodas, seltzers, juice, coffees, beers & ciders. You're trusted to do your job very quickly, you won't feel like "the new person" for very long or that you have to earn your keep. There is a buddy system where each new employee gets partnered up with someone from their same department one week & someone totally random and from another department the next, to go out and get coffee or walk around and get to know each other for a bit, so you really get to meet people. You will laugh & smile more throughout your workweek than you would anywhere else. You will bond with your coworkers & gain some of your best friends at this company. There are also company retreat weekends and other fun social things.

Cons

Other reviews make it seem much, much worse than it is, but there is just a little truth behind them.
    1) The company is growing very, VERY rapidly, so our office is pretty full during the day. It's clear we need more space, and we are moving this summer!
    2) That being said, the office also can seem a bit cluttered, but not really disgusting/filthy. We have our own cleaning professionals come in 3 times a day to clean. The back pantry room has lots of boxes of snacks, beverages, and other pantry supplies stacked up, but that is because the ordering has to be done for so many people now, there just isn't room to put everything on the shelves. The only other solution would be for them to stop ordering the snacks for now, and I need my granola bars, so I don't want to see this happening! Also, the place is not "roach infested" as I saw mentioned in another review--the building does occasionally have a few cockroaches, and sometimes there will be one in the very back hallway by the trash room & freight elevator, which are not part of the main Handybook office. Even when there is the report of someone seeing just one, the managers are sure to not only let the building owner know, but they even call in and pay for exterminators on their OWN, on the company's dime, so that we don't have to wait for the sometimes unresponsive building managers and property owners to solve the issue.
    3) Communication--this is nowhere near a hostile environment, and even reading that in a review startled me & made me hope that the person writing it has solved the personal issues they may have had with one or two other people, because that is just so crazy to hear. Right now since the team is so huge, there are days where you can feel like you are out of the loop on what is going on as far as where the company is heading, but they actively try to combat this by sending out update emails on what every team has and is doing, posting the quarterly initiatives on our team site, sharing links to what's being said about the company in the news, and having quarterly all-hands meetings, meaning everyone in the entire company. I know that communication is one of the most important things that will be focused on improving in the next few weeks, I think it was just rough for them to keep up with everything while we grew so fast, but you can tell they really want to make sure things are smoother going forward.
    4) Again, goes with the fact that this company is experiencing tremendous growth--the founders clearly want to be approachable--they sit right in the middle of the office! Even though it is the noisiest & busiest area of the office and they would like to work in a more secluded & quiet area, I'm sure! But there haven't been as many opportunities to meet with them and talk about things and ask questions as there were before, because they are busier than ever right now too.

More time to talk with you and ask questions would be appreciated, but I understand you're busy right now!

It wa a great while it lasted

Former Employee - Professional Cleaner  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Professional Cleaner in New York, NY

I worked at Handybook as a contractor

Pros

Pay of starting 15$ per hour. Flexibility .

Cons

Pay can change after rating . Not enough jobs and too many workers !

Stop hiring so many damn people if you can't cover the jobs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stated from experience

Current Employee - Residential Housekeeper  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Residential Housekeeper in New York, NY

I have been working at Handybook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Picking my own hours and locations to work are the best reasons to work for this company.

Cons

The company is experiencing lots of growing-pains in terms of booking customers and recruiting employees. They need to implement several simple questions into their customer portal, for example: "when was the last time that you cleaned your home?" I've been to several homes where customers admitted to not cleaning in months and they only book the minimum 2 hours.

A Chance to Make Your Own Path

Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Handybook full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a recent college grad, I didn't expect to find a work environment that was so based on intellectualism and fraternity in the real world. You can tell from just the interviews that the company isn't looking for space fillers, but for people that are going to make long-term impact. Handybook truly embodies the entrepreneurial culture of a start-up, but also encourages individuality and transparency- making it clear that the future lies with in the hands of the current employees. I can honestly say that this is a change of a lifetime, a chance for growth and opportunity, both for yourself and for the company.

Cons

The hours can be long, but that being said, Handybook makes a sincere effort to hire unique and engaging people which certainly makes the day fly by.

Even though we are growing tremendously, try to keep encouraging team collaborations/interactions!

Corporate Greed Strikes Again (Stay Far, Far Away!)

I worked at Handybook full-time for less than a year

Pros

You may meet some kind hearted, cool people here. However, it won't matter because they will be just as downtrodden, overworked, underpaid, and undervalued as you are. Yippee.

Cons

Advice: do not work for Handybook.

-There is a "dude-bro," fraternity flavored, elitist culture that permeates the office. They play favorites here. Be warned.

-The heads of the company want to give the impression that they run a forward thinking, progressive company that works to improve the lives of their employees and the world at large, when it actually seems like it's run on old fashioned, corporate/Ivy League greed and apathy. And no, they do not care about employee burnout or turnover as the mindset is to treat employees as disposable commodity. You come, you go. Easy as that. Same attitude goes for their customers and their contract laborers who perform the actual jobs for them.

-You think with this being a cleaning company that they would not have issues with keeping the office clean but yet they do! The garbage cans in the food/pantry area overflow with garbage at all times of the day which draws flies and other vermin. Food is often left out, uncovered, and/or left strewn all over the tables after the lunch rush. Oh, and the amount of food that goes to waste there; it's extremely shameful and sad given how many hungry people reside in this city.

-They will lie to you during the interview process and tout the company as a great place to work with a ton of benefits and opportunity for mobility. No. They will bait and switch on you claiming that the nonsense taking place is all a part of the "growth" of the company. If you are silly enough to take a job there, expect little to no support or resources to successfully do your job. The only time management cares to acknowledge you is when sending intimidating emails about following/not following ambiguous company policies.

I could go on all day about this place. Moral of the story: just stay away.

Be true mavericks and actually care about the people putting money into your pockets and food into your mouths. Arrogance and privileged attitudes among key staff do not make for a rewarding working environment and will ultimately cause your business to suffer.

Hot start-up with many growing pains

I have been working at Handybook

Pros

A fast-growing start-up that is disrupting the home services space

Cons

Work you hard with very little compensation
    Poor leadership
    Limited respect for employees

Upper management really needs to focus on improving service and treating their employees with respect

Pay of a startup with the culture of a corporate bank (and the career opportunity of neither)

I have been working at Handybook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Catered lunches, dinners, snacks and drinks included
    Company events outside the office (happy hours, parties, retreats, etc.) are generally very fun, informal, and open
    There are definitely awesome, smart, fun, and caring people who work here. Unfortunately it doesn't extend to the broader company culture.

Cons

Higher ups in the company have a very cocky, entitled, and arrogant attitude, and tend play favorites amongst specific individuals within the company. This is a trend that has gotten increasingly worse as the company has grown.

Expect to be micromanaged. Don't think that working hard will result in you getting acknowledged or rewarded. Initiative and taking ownership of a problem is more likely to increase your liability or get you reprimanded rather than get you any recognition (priorities are always on growth and doing things quickly rather than correctly). This is a company where if you put in 150%, you'll get 50% in return. As a result, employees (admittedly myself included) are motivated to care more about their individual numbers and and apparent performance rather than doing what's best for the company, customers, or contracted professionals. This issue is made much worse by the fact that people lower within the company are treated much more critically than those on top.

Handybook has been very poor, bordering on unethical, in upholding their terms of the hiring contract. This is particularly true with respect to policies regarding vacation, overtime. Don't think that there's actually an open policy around vacation (although again, this depends on who you are and who you report to).

The company has grown quickly, but unfortunately it hasn't grown well. As a result things are constantly broken and your ability to work effectively will be inhibited by factors completely outside of your control (software bugs, operational or communication backlogs, etc). Also, the office is EXTREMELY crowded, although to be fair management is working hard to sign a new lease so hopefully this will change in the near future.

Finally, it's highly, highly likely that some of the five star reviews here are planted. Beware.

Please be more ethical. Listen, communicate, and be more open and transparent to those within the lower ranks of the company. There's a LOT of opportunities for improvement across the company that wouldn't require a Harvard degree to recognize.

Why put so much emphasis on hiring, but so little on retention? The latter is far more costly than the former...

Don't encourage people to write positive Glassdoor reviews. It might backfire if someone writes a negative review (case in point).

I kinda wish I could forget this experience

I have been working at Handybook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well how do you write 20 words and have nothing to say?

Cons

I have been at companies where you are encouraged to do well. Here, from day one, you are set up to fail. Management at Handybook treats people like dogs. The tales that I have to tell would fit a torture book, to be honest.

I would not encourage anyone to work here at all. You will be treated very badly regardless of whether you are doing good work. Management, instead of protecting their employees from the intensity of the pressure they're under from building a top notch company, takes out the pressure on their employees, making for a very hostile work environment. You will constantly be belittled and made to feel like an insect that is to be crushed.

This mistreatment of people also applies to the contractors who are the bread and butter of the company, and also to the customers. All those "positive" yelp reviews you see are planted by management to make you think customers actually like the company. Read the negative reviews and you will see the truth -- that leadership is lacking at Handybook, that the company is a mess.

Moreover, the guys running this company are big believers in making people work really really hard for little pay and little recognition.

Welcome to a world where employees are a commodity.

There is no justification for how they treat people. You will get stabbed. You will get screwed over. You will spend days without end wondering why you made such an awful choice that destroyed your career.

Good leadership does not lead by fear and intimidation.

All around shady

Current Employee - Cleaner  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cleaner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Handybook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Flexible scheduling is the one and the only perk. I seriously can not think of anything else worth mentioning here

Cons

"Tips are added with your pay" said the man giving me my orientation but I haven't seen any yet. Customers pay extra for certain services but cleaners aren't paid extra for actually completing these services. Company works you hard and expects perfection but they don't treat you fairly. No regard for issues like weather changes or children and don't require customers to give information that would determine how long a job would take before booking the job.

Your cleaners & handymen are doing all the work. Pay them fairly.

Worked for Handybook? Contribute to the Community!