Hanesbrands

Updated November 30, 2014
3.3

Hanesbrands CEO and Director Rich Noll
Rich Noll

Pros
  • Pretty good work life balance depending on your manager (in 8 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management talks down and degrades employees on a daily basis (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management tends to manage their careers rather than manage the employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Work For

I have been working at Hanesbrands full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1) Flextime
    2) Onsite exercise facilities and great wellness programs
    3) Streamlined operations
    4) Great products
    5) Summer schedule of 4 days on and Fridays off, plus a winter break between Christmas and New Years
    6) Clear polices and procedures
    7) Onsite health center where you can get physical exams and prescriptions if you have a cold, etc.

Cons

1) No annual pay raises
    2) Hours can be long
    3) Pay is not the best
    4) So older technology could be updated
    5) Benefits is not the best
    6) Personal time was cut from 10 days to 5 days per year a few years ago. Has necessitated use of vacation time for illnesses.q

1) Please increase the amount of personal time off
    2) Please respect your employees more - listen to all levels of management and staff.
    3) Please increase pay on a more frequent basis.

Underpaid, Overworked, Inefficient

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Hanesbrands part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers can be very nice if you get a good group.

Cons

Pay: I started out at $8.50 and got a standard raise of $0.15 for two years and topped out. Have been working here for almost five years.

Environment: It's retail, so it's already bad enough. Add to that we fit bras, which means we see literally hundreds of sets of boobs, be they sweaty, saggy, or smelly. In that regard, we are grossly underpaid because we are expected to wait hand and foot for customers and even take their bras on and off their bodies for them.

Women are not embarrassed to flash their boobs or underwear at you on the sales floor and that can be pretty annoying.

Hours: Hours can be great depending on your manager, but corporate expects part-timers to have the commitment/loyalty/full control/life of a full-timer. Everyone is required to work on Black Friday and you will get two points against if you don't. Must be great to work at corporate and get those summer Fridays/Christmas break off. They have also cut back on hours to reduce expenses, which adds to the stress of having JUST two or three people to close on weekends for a mega/super store. That's not enough employees!

Bonuses: We USED to have $100 monthly bonuses for maxing out the monthly goal and $50 for meeting target, but two years ago, they reduced each by half respectively, so that's a slap in the face, especially since the company has been doing well for the past few years, as evidenced by annual increases in merchandise pricing. Yay, we work our butts off for 40 hours a month to get a pitiful, pathetic $25. Oh, joy!

Inefficiencies: Managers have to email regional managers constantly about the sales status, which corporate can clearly produce via computer. They could be spending time on the floor but are cooped up back there catching up on explaining why sales are doing well/poorly.

Catalog call center representatives need across the board training. It is a hit or a miss when we call to order product for customers because one rep could be utterly clueless and adversarial while another could be the most helpful and smooth transaction yet.

The stockroom is always overflowing with things that don't sell and never having things we actually need.

The registers are extremely old and doubt they will ever update them to save costs. Good for the bottom line, bad on the operational level.

Sales can change at the drop of a hat and additional notice would be nice for employees so we don't have to scramble.

Old inventory that is not moving should be quickly clearance for more than 50%.

Great Place - Great People

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Hanesbrands as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The people are all really smart and talented. Management is very professional and organized. They are pro-active problem solvers. It is a really innovative and creative company. Great work/life balance! Summer Fridays!!!

Cons

The office is a little over-crowded. Could use some technology upgrades. Too many freelancers.

Commit to hiring full-timers instead of just freelancers. New employees need better training is Process & Procedures. Its a little hodgepodge & sink or swim for new employees.

Tiresome

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Hanesbrands

Pros

Employees were good people! They do provide the essentials to do job. Everyone tries to work together.

Cons

Management is outa control. The pay is well below market value for job worked. Some in with power try to wield it without regard.

Treat employees with respect.

Sales Associate

I have been working at Hanesbrands part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent discount and an environment that will really teach you how to handle difficult customers and work quickly.

Cons

Staff is incredibly hypocritical. My manager can do whatever she wants but if anybody else does the same they are punished. She gives random discounts to customers without approval of corporate. Upper management will cover for one another. For example my assistant manager is getting a write up and should be fired because of the amount of write ups she has already received. Rather than fire her upper management erases her previous write ups from her file so she can stay. If management doesn't like you then you will have a tough time at Hanesbrands. Thankfully they like me but you need to stay on their good side. Also they are very critical if you need time off and it can be hard to switch shifts. Overall, this is not a good place to work because regional and store managers will look the other way when injustices are occurring.

Stop playing by favorites and hiding in the break room. Also stop covering for one another and trying to pin your mistakes on sales associates.

Neutral experience

I have been working at Hanesbrands

Pros

Sample Sales, Not alot of overtime

Cons

Health benefits not very good

Loved working here.

Former Employee - Key Holder in Howell, MI
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Howell, MI

I worked at Hanesbrands part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule. Everyone I worked with was very friendly. They work with you on getting time off for what ever you need. Very easy to get promoted.

Cons

Very strict dress code. The environment turned into a high-school like environment after everyone got too comfortable with each other. Training course is long. Wasn't paid enough for what I had to do 90% of the time.

Pay your employees better, especially key holders and stockers.

one of the best companies to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX

I have been working at Hanesbrands part-time (less than an year)

Pros

the environment is great the company supports and takes every thing you say to heart. so if you have a concern about something and you want a investigation done about it you don't have to be upper management you can be just an associate. plus even as an associate you get a 401k and stokes. and they reward you for all hard work your a person to them not just another number.

Cons

now the only annoying thing is that on a store front you only have two colors your allowed to wear black and white and no in between colors. You must always be in business attire so no canvas shoes nor tie up shoes dress shoes only. Their late palsy is extremely strict they run off a point system points are bad get many and your gone.

some of the upper management needs to be in the stores more so you'll stop righting people up for one thing being out of place and when some one ask for a new thing because the other one broke try and fix it ones then send them it.

very good

I worked at Hanesbrands

Pros

easy fast pace work, worked with great people

Cons

a temporary job but they only hire a few of the temp workers but i couldnt do second shift

Quiet and nice place to work.

Former Employee - Bra Fitter/Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Bra Fitter/Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Hanesbrands part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This discounts are pretty amazin and the people were very friendly.

Cons

The store never gets overwhelmingly busy. In fact, sometimes it can be a little boring.