Hanger Orthopedic

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hanger Orthopedic President & CEO Vinit K. Asar

Vinit K. Asar

"Raise the bar, lower the pay" Theme

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hanger Orthopedic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is for a good cause. The commute is easy. Job security for those who keep quiet and look busy, even those that are incompetent. Benefits are so-so.

ConsLow pay, bonuses are cut regularly, and promotion are so rare that sideways moves are repeatedly, publicly celebrated and called promotions. Corporate employees are not supposed to work VO, except on the weekends and after hours, because "it is proven that employees dont work as much from home". No trust between management and employees. The pettiness, cronyism, and lack of flexability, all wrapped up in an ugly red tape bow, are enough to run off most Austinites.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust goes both ways or not at all.

I would say 50% negative, 50% positive. I was there long enough to have been given a better deal, but alas, I was not.

Office Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Hanger Orthopedic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe hours were good, and it was relatively close to home. I was able to either walk there or take trains.

ConsManagement was very negative, overbearing and extremely judgemental. Played favorites all over the place. I also feel that you are not allowed the opportunity to defend your point or speak up for yourself. It is put up or shut up with Hanger.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all the blow hards and get someone who gives a hoot. There is more to life than your dyed blond hair and your pocket books lady.

IT Management is the worst ever.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hanger Orthopedic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany has a worthy purpose.

ConsIT Management is mostly very bad. Huge attrition rate tells the story. The best people are leaving and taking all their knowledge with them. Just because a team is performing does not mean that they have good management.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace IT SLT and directs as well as most managers. Let performance reviews be written from the bottom up. Vinit needs to listen to what he is being told by HR and not what he is hearing from his CIO.

Corporation at its Worst

Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hanger Orthopedic full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits are comparible to other companies in the same industry. Company is growing rather than shrnking. Possibility to relocate to other branches. As much office supplies and toilet paper as you can steal since those things arn't a part of "annual inventory" there is no monitoring of them.

ConsWhew, where do i begin. Automatically you will be paid less for doing the same thing as you would at any other company. Mostly people who work at Hanger Clinic are people who are trapped there by lack of competitors, family obligations, or in many cases a No Compete slave contract where your not legally allowed to leave. Even after all that, the employee turnover rate is abismal. The company even goes as far as to threaten that if you leave the womb of hanger, the company you go to will just be bought up by them in a few years so you might as well just stay or face retaliation later when the smaller company you fled to is gobbled up. Also if enough employees leave hanger and go to the same competitor hanger will sue that competitor until it goes under. Hanger can literally do anything it wants since its more than 10 times the size of the next few competitors down. In america that gives them special rights under the law to sort of well, get away with stuff.

The only way to be paid fairly is to get into a management position, which there is an excess of. However, the only way to get into a management role is to be a manager of a smaller company and get bought up, or be related to the current manager above that position. In some lucky cases you can even sleep your way into a management position, but jesus, most of the managers are morbidly hideous people, so i wouldn't recommend it.

There is virtually no pay raises. You can get a 1 or 2 percent raise a year, but that will not cover cost of living increases or really even your health care increases. The company claims to have a "Bonus" system, but as far as i can tell you either have to be a manager or be related to a manager to ever see it.

You will be asked to work rediculous hours, rediculously hard, for rediculously low pay. Hanger Clinic is the Walmart of Orthotics and Prosthetics.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your not qualified to be a manger, then quit. What are you doing? if you got a job as a lumberjack and didn't know what trees were, wouldn't you just give up after you've axed the 19th rock? I guess if your that stupid you wouldn't.

Seriously: remove the "bonus" garbage all together. Mostly it's just causing resentment since only managers even get it. Not sure why the criteria for bonus is such a closely gaurded secret, but my guess is because its a scam and there is no bonus system, just a maggot infested carrot dangled from a stick.

Want better employees who don't quit after a year or two? Pay them MORE than a competitor would for doing the same job with the same experience. Have you noticed that you hire temps as Office Administrators and once they get that 2 years of experiene they quit and get the same job at a Hospital for 1.5 times as much money or more? Well i have, you might want to check into that. Too bad you can't sue hospitals for employee scalping huh?

Get rid of Coreline. It's just a brand of cheaply made knock-offs. No one likes it. Not practitioners, not doctors, not patients, nobody. Give it up! "oh but it's cheaper" yeah, roadkill is cheaper than steak. Your point?

Nobody retires from hanger, they either quit or die while working there. Have you ever wondered why? Most of your employees are over the age of 50. Anyone younger leaves for better opportunity. The ones over 50 often times have no savings, and no families to care for them either as you havn't afforded them the time or finances many people require to handle one.

Why do i have to make my 8.5 hour day into a 9 hour day by having a manditory 1 hour lunch? Is their a monkey with a typewriter in the corporate office just making arbitrary rules? idiots.

Take a Long Look at IT

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hanger Orthopedic full-time for more than a year

ProsA great company; empowering human potential. An awesome dream and in some parts of Hanger, it is happening

ConsOver 50% attrition in it in 2 years; really! Quit playing games with the numbers; undesirable vs. desirable attrition. How bad is it that you play with the nbrs to attempt to make you look better. Fix the problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementSLT - take a long, very hard look at your management team. People are leaving because, to quote various leaders at Hanger, "People leave because of the manager, because of the leader". 50% attrition. You would think that smart people would see this and want to fix it.

If people only knew what the inside is like - Nothing like the image they try and sell

Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hanger Orthopedic full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNot many at all. Except for managements bonuses. If you can ever get to Management which is doubtful.

ConsIncompetent Management
Hanger has lost its human touch
very IT driven - doing more for less (IE> get rid of bodies)

Advice to Senior ManagementOne day your handling of individual people is going to come back to haunt you. If your customers, who you say is your #1 priority, knew how you actually ran this company they would probably leave in masses.

discouraging and disappointment

Austin, TX

I have been working at Hanger Orthopedic full-time for less than a year

Proseasy work environment, people (directors, management) leave you alone (just recently though), great coworkers

Consno room for advancement, benefits such as health benefits cost 2x a company their size...family benefits cost between $300-$350 per pay period. ridiculous. some managers and directs need to understand that their role is to manage and understand people...c'mon common sense here. "got your workers back" "do what I can..." ok...and I just won the Publisher Clearing House prize.

Advice to Senior Managementcertain people need more training. your workers can do a better job than you and can do it more efficiently. maybe read a book on being a great upper management for dummies. maybe the company should begin replacing certain directs/managers and see how morale increases. only way to find out is to move certain people to a different "made up" position and bring in better talent to lead.

Concerned

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Hanger Orthopedic full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company really cares about their customers. The CEO is forward looking and looking to grow the company in the right direction.

ConsCIO is trying to accomplish way to much at once. He has one year plan not a 3 to 5 year plan. Way to much politics in IT. They also don’t care about their employees or trust them for their ability. Stay away from IT until management changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake high level managemnt changes in IT

Its a job, not a career

I have been working at Hanger Orthopedic full-time

ProsThat one patient, that one person you help, adds some brightness to a typically dismal existence at work.

ConsYou will spend your days being talked down to
Corporate culture is one of the worst.
Despite what management says there is no open door policy
Training and education are non existent, as are raises and promotions
There is no where to go, no advancement
Nepotism, cliques and incompetent small minded management
Very high staff turn over rate results in poor patient care
Understaffed, overworked, underpaid, chaotic, unorganized, stressful
Every meeting is about money, money, money, money, money, money

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't waste your time, no one is listening.

The worst Company

Office Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hanger Orthopedic full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice coworkers and good patient experience.

ConsThis is the worst company to work for. Everything revolves around corporate and management. The people who do most of the work (office staff) get no support. The higher ups aree untouchable. You don't even know that they exists. I have seen fraud, harrassement and everything else you could possible think of. Management have no training they are just grandfathered into their postition. They work you to death and expect you to focus only on Hanger and forget your family life. Incentives are horrible because you have managemnt who take the office bonus which everyone in the office contribute to and pocket it. No room for advancement. Human resource is a waste because they don't do anything. Overall terrible company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your management staff and remember that the people all the way at the bottom are the main one's that contribute to your large salary.

Worked for Hanger Orthopedic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hanger Orthopedic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hanger Orthopedic CEO Vinit K. Asar. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by Hanger Orthopedic employees.