Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers Reviews

Updated July 1, 2014
Updated July 1, 2014

Michael W. Matthews

Good place to work and nice environment for technical growth

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work was rarely limited to one sector or market which allows for personal growth in many specific fields. The product was very important to the staff. The management seemed to be centered around solid engineering and professionalism rather than just salesmanship. Good mix of personalities, technical levels, and resources from various trades.

Cons

Limited model for growth for some employees.

Promote folks based on relationships with customers and potential for revenue rather than a defined structural hierarchy.

The most intellectually challenging and rewarding place I have ever worked and will probably ever work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very stimulating and engaging environment to work in. Very capable senior management that has a great understanding of business management which is very refreshing for our profession. H&A is known for this and constantly strives to be best in class when it comes to managing its business. If you chose to engage with senior management, you will learn so much about our industry and our business. Innovative training programs such as the H&A MBA (More Business Acumen). Great place to develop personally and professionally - non-stop improvement is the culture here and you can feel it every day. Great physical work/office environment. Overall though, the biggest pro is the people - great group of people.

Cons

Having to go home. In all seriousness, I love working here. There is a constant push for improvement and betterment here so if you are uncomfortable with change or are satisfied with sticking with the status quo, you may view this as a con (I don't).

Keep up the great work and always continue to challenge yourself to be better as you do now. Do not be dissuaded by those that are uncomfortable with the fact that you choose to do things differently than other companies in our profession do. Keep up the open communication and exchange of ideas on how to improve our business which makes this such an engaging place to work. And, thank you!

Misleading

Pros

Its a job and it pays.

Cons

They say they are architects and show great pics on their web page - what they don't say is that all they do is the MEP - the design is by others but H&A don't say that.

Senior management pay themselves very well, not so much anyone else.

Retire.

Poor leadership in all markets, lead to closure of 2 offices and layoffs

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers full-time

Pros

Not many. Pay is about average for the industry. Entry and mid-level staff seems nice.

Cons

Over-reliance on federal and government work, which is on the decline. Firm leadership fails to address this lopsided approach. Extremely poor marketing capabilities with inexperienced marketing support. H&A marketing consists of responding to RFPs and glad-handing old military connections.

Federal and military work is increasingly competitive and a decreasing market, Either diversify or reduce the focus to a few critical practice areas. Close the Virginia Beach office concentrate the firm in a less expensive office elsewhere in the Richmond area. Senior managers need to take a permanent significant pay cut.

Confused management with no clear direction forward

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers full-time

Pros

Nice people at middle management and production levels.

Cons

No active marketing, relies totally on RFPs and existing relationships. Ongoing layoffs hurt morale.

Best place to work

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

Pros

Good management, a lot of talents and knowledgeable engineer that would help you grow.

Cons

Very small break room for 300 employees.

Need a bigger break room and better coffee.

Work has been challenging.

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

Pros

There is an ability to balance family and work life as needed.

Cons

Some of the changes are reducing overall effeciency.

It is refreshing to work for a place that know what they are doing

Current Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

Pros

This is firm who puts their employees first. They are a company in the cutting edge of tecnology in the projects that we work on. It is nice to work in a place where you are not just a number but a part of a team....

Cons

Salaries are not very competative.

Understand that not every demographic has the same living expenses and adjust salaries accordantly.

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

Pros

This company has good people working for them for the most part and give great pay for the most part. In a down economy they have managed to grow like gangbusters.

Cons

There is little management of conflicting deadlines - the attitude is just "get it done, don't bother me with the fact that you have twelve more projects due the same day."

Keep up the good work but put someone in charge of balancing limited resources. Don't become too "corporate" as you grow.

Describe your experience at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers: Ok

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

Pros

Nice company to work for.

Cons

Company is top heavy, management is wasting money with no visible accountability. When a company lose money then someone has to take the blame specially when we keep loosing money.