Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

Updated Nov 12, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael W. Matthews

The most intellectually challenging and rewarding place I have ever worked and will probably ever work.

Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery stimulating and engaging environment to work in. Very capable senior management that has a great understanding of business management which is very refreshing for our profession. H&A is known for this and constantly strives to be best in class when it comes to managing its business. If you chose to engage with senior management, you will learn so much about our industry and our business. Innovative training programs such as the H&A MBA (More Business Acumen). Great place to develop personally and professionally - non-stop improvement is the culture here and you can feel it every day. Great physical work/office environment. Overall though, the biggest pro is the people - great group of people.

ConsHaving to go home. In all seriousness, I love working here. There is a constant push for improvement and betterment here so if you are uncomfortable with change or are satisfied with sticking with the status quo, you may view this as a con (I don't).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and always continue to challenge yourself to be better as you do now. Do not be dissuaded by those that are uncomfortable with the fact that you choose to do things differently than other companies in our profession do. Keep up the open communication and exchange of ideas on how to improve our business which makes this such an engaging place to work. And, thank you!

Misleading

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIts a job and it pays.

ConsThey say they are architects and show great pics on their web page - what they don't say is that all they do is the MEP - the design is by others but H&A don't say that.

Senior management pay themselves very well, not so much anyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

Poor leadership in all markets, lead to closure of 2 offices and layoffs

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers full-time

ProsNot many. Pay is about average for the industry. Entry and mid-level staff seems nice.

ConsOver-reliance on federal and government work, which is on the decline. Firm leadership fails to address this lopsided approach. Extremely poor marketing capabilities with inexperienced marketing support. H&A marketing consists of responding to RFPs and glad-handing old military connections.

Advice to Senior ManagementFederal and military work is increasingly competitive and a decreasing market, Either diversify or reduce the focus to a few critical practice areas. Close the Virginia Beach office concentrate the firm in a less expensive office elsewhere in the Richmond area. Senior managers need to take a permanent significant pay cut.

Confused management with no clear direction forward

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers full-time

ProsNice people at middle management and production levels.

ConsNo active marketing, relies totally on RFPs and existing relationships. Ongoing layoffs hurt morale.

Best place to work

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

ProsGood management, a lot of talents and knowledgeable engineer that would help you grow.

ConsVery small break room for 300 employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a bigger break room and better coffee.

Work has been challenging.

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

ProsThere is an ability to balance family and work life as needed.

ConsSome of the changes are reducing overall effeciency.

It is refreshing to work for a place that know what they are doing

Designer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

ProsThis is firm who puts their employees first. They are a company in the cutting edge of tecnology in the projects that we work on. It is nice to work in a place where you are not just a number but a part of a team....

ConsSalaries are not very competative.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that not every demographic has the same living expenses and adjust salaries accordantly.

Good Place to Work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

ProsThis company has good people working for them for the most part and give great pay for the most part. In a down economy they have managed to grow like gangbusters.

ConsThere is little management of conflicting deadlines - the attitude is just "get it done, don't bother me with the fact that you have twelve more projects due the same day."

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work but put someone in charge of balancing limited resources. Don't become too "corporate" as you grow.

Describe your experience at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers: Ok

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers

ProsNice company to work for.

ConsCompany is top heavy, management is wasting money with no visible accountability. When a company lose money then someone has to take the blame specially when we keep loosing money.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is top heavy, management is wasting money with no visible accountability. When a company lose money then someone has to take the blame specially when we keep loosing money.

Worked for Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers CEO Michael W. Matthews. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Hankins and Anderson Consulting Engineers employees.