Hanley Wood Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Peter Goldstone

Pros
  • Decent PTO and company gives extra free vacation days for company holidays (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimal training which shows, especially with a number of individuals in middle management (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management is absolutely clueless (in 4 reviews)

1. No structure

Pros

Extended time off during holidays, easy-going atmosphere

Cons

No structure for middle management, lack of formal educational opportunities for employees

Advice to Management

Revamp middle management structure

Editorial

Former Employee - Editorial in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Editorial in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanley Wood full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Provided with mostly free creative reign on editorial, opportunity to work across various digital, print and conference platforms to craft story and industry thought leadership.

Cons

Senior editorial vision lacking -- very top heavy organization. Has lost Smart, Fast, Competitive culture via core leadership recidivism, layoffs, and general ennui.

Advice to Management

Drive the company to re-involve itself in the real estate segments covered, and try less to build outdated platforms of what a media company is "supposed to" look like. Take more risks. Build more outspoken and well-regarded editorial personalities. Be original over being a curator.

3. Good place to start

Former Employee - Research Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Hanley Wood (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work and a relaxed atmosphere make it a great place to start your career. Also when you have a long weekend they make it extra long.

Cons

Not a place you stay at forever. Most people start a few years then go somewhere else. The pay isn't the best but the work is simple.

5. Run, don't walk, from this company!

Pros

Summer hours and Frank Days are nice perks.

Cons

Senior executives will say they care about the employees, but their actions speak louder than words. They will spend a great amount of money on company meetings and Media incentive trips, but only budget for 2% annual increases. Many employees don't even get increases. The human resources leadership at corporate cannot be trusted with confidences. They are a joke.

Advice to Management

Step aside and promote executives that care about the company and the people more than you care about yourselves.

6. Great group of people

Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hanley Wood full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Welcoming work environment. Excellent staff members.

Cons

The usual gripes - increased pay, obtaining new technology, more free pizza and donuts, etc...

7. Solid company culture that values family life and encourages development.

I worked at Hanley Wood full-time

Pros

The company regarded personal time to be very important, thus creating 5 additional days off throughout the year as well as allowing for minimum day Friday's in summer.

Cons

With a recent acquisition (of Metrostudy) the company has brought in a significantly sized culture that doesn't fit completely with Hanley Wood. With that said, the core Hanley Wood culture seems to remain in tact.

Advice to Management

Stick to company values and the longstanding management that helped build those values.

8. Marketing

I worked at Hanley Wood full-time

Pros

Great benefits and generally a very good group of people to work with. The company has undergone a lot of changes in the past 3 years and it is not a magazine publishing company anymore. If you like technology and digital media this is a good place to work. Give credit to senior management for taking the company into the digital age and for making some smart hires to help make the transition to digital actually work.

Cons

Middle management is iffy. Some are very strong, but there are a number of very ineffective managers which is a drag on morale.

Advice to Management

Stay the course with benefits and work environment, but pay a lot more attention to morale.

9. Private equity + 20th century business model = snooze

I worked at Hanley Wood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of days off, so 3-day weekends become 4-day weekends--but you're expected to put in 40 hours over four days instead. Smart people. Good clients.

Cons

Pay scale is 60-70% of market, so people who stay tend to be stuck in second gear. Lots of pressure on the numbers with little incentivization. Private equity firm bought the company and brought in top executives to run it. It's clear they have a huge upside if/when the company flips.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage people. Spread $$$ incentives to keep great people.

10. Sales

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Hanley Wood full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Culture, Fun People, Good Benefits, Rewarding working environment and great work-life balance. They do a great job of recognizing those that go above and beyond in their work. Great place to grow a career.

Cons

There really isn't much in the way of con's. We all wish we got paid more, but who doesn't. overall it's a great place to work.

Amazing company to work for, best work experience I have had yet!

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanley Wood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young, relaxed, fun company. Media company so everything is always changing. Co-workers felt like friends. Great team effort on everything and working together for a bigger vision. CEO feels that everything can always improve so you are always striving to do your best. I was in the HR department and it was a great, well organized group that worked great together. They were fun, not stuffy like some HR people. They were great teachers. This was my second job after college and I owe them great thanks for teaching me and shaping me into the employee I am today.

Cons

Personal growth was limited in the HR department. It was small so unless someone were to leave I was unable to advance. I wanted to make a higher salary. DC is expensive and I wish they had paid me at least $5,000 more a year although this had nothing to do with why I left.

RSS Feed </> Embed