Hanley Wood

Add Photos

Peter Goldstone

Good company, poor timing

Data Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLots of smart, approachable people.

ConsBad market conditions for housing, led to rounds of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify strategy more to digital.

Don't expect fantastic.

Employee (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsExecutives that care about employees and generally 'try' to do things the right way. Additional days off around holidays. Interesting industry.

ConsLack of communication and civility between different divisions and groups, especially when those various groups share accounts and interests. Minimal training which shows, especially with a number of individuals in middle management. Clique-ish, country club type atmosphere often factors heavily into relationships, promotions, etc...Can be feast or famine depending on strength of housing and construction.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to incorporate a better, more uniform training program. Allow non-managerial employees a vehicle to critique their managers as opposed to all top-down one way criticism and feedback. Find ways to provide options for current employees to work more consistently throughout the year, take on add'l projects and tasks perhaps, instead of hiring more while talented people are often under-utilized.

It's alright, however there is room for improvement

ProsThere is a pretty lax work environment, you aren't required to come to work in suits on a daily basis. They also seem to have an active Happy Hour Life, as well as a perk called Frank Days where you get bonus days off aside from PTO

ConsSome managers lack tact in how they provide constructive criticism. Friendliness is not always something you receive here as well, the environment is very "clique-y". No subsidy provided for commuters that live outside of DC.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide an environment where managers can anonymously receive feedback from their subordinates so that they too can be better at their jobs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor management and uncertain future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood learning experience on how to deal with heavy company politics.

Cons1. Middle management has no idea what they are doing. They change direction and try new approaches every couple of months
    2. Poor direction on what is expected by you
    3. Middle management is working against your growth in the company
    4. A lot of company politics. Even if you are the best employee they try to push you down so your work doesn't stand out. I have been asked "not to work as hard because I already made an impression" by my boss
    5. Company is in transition and it is not stable work environment, which results a lot of stressful political situations... People lie about each other to their managers
    6. Not enough room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to appreciate the hard workers better than those that do nothing all day but flatter upper management. You might get more done and organized this way.

Great people

ProsSolid people, great customers to work with

Consadvancement may take some time

Acct/Finance is Terrible

Accounting/Finance (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsNone really, but this Company is fragmented like no other so I can't speak for other groups/departments.

ConsAccounting and Finance work long hours and weekends. Can't speak for other groups but there is no upward mobility here. The Company has "Frank Days" (supposed to be extra days off, never works out) because senior management will most like be at a ball game stuffing their face with a ballpark frank while everyone else is working. Mis-managed from the top down. Benefits are terrible, I think they are self-insured, so huge deductibles and premiums on life insurance and medical insurance. This place is just a crappy place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue and hire some real talent.

Take the good with the bad.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHighly intelligent team. More or less owns their vertical market of construction media. Well entrenched in the industry. Many employees stay with the company longterm (also can be a negative).

ConsNo digital natives and few digital immigrants in senior management, yet the company proclaims to be "Digital First." Very top-heavy infrastructure with too many senior management never spending significant face time with client base. Very little senior management turnover, so few new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk. Use your social profiles. Get your brands doing more online than pushing content. Provide more professional development. Get rid of magazine-centric dinosaurs. To become truly digital first, the company needs to shift away from the magazine mentality that permeates the culture.

Narrow-minded, jargon-spouting management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree parking. Bonus days off. Bias toward under-30.

ConsClique-ish, no support in learning curve, poor communication and CYA is the top priority for management on down. You'll be left to twist in the wind and denied key information if the right people aren't sufficiently impressed quickly enough.

Future?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people that you work with, additional days off.

ConsConstant major changes in corporate structure-appears that they do not know which direction they are going in-they are drifting away from what made them a great company years ago. Now great people are abandoning the company, there are constant layoffs, job eliminations, revolving door, the remaining staff has to step up and do more.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo what was the reason you brought back the former CEO?

A company in transition, with an uncertain future

Senior Editor (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWorked with some very nice and competent colleagues.

ConsSenior management is absolutely clueless

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace a higher premium on your human assets. Rethink “digital first” strategy with an eye towards profitability.

Worked for Hanley Wood? Contribute to the Community!