Hannaford Bros.

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
3.4

Ronald C. Hodge

Pros
  • Generally good people to work with, good starting job, flexible schedule (in 11 reviews)

• They had very flexible hours, which is one thing I loved about this place (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • no full-time availability - LITERALLY no (in 11 reviews)

• Not a lot of benefits for part time employees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sufficient College Job

Current Employee - Deli Service Leader in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Deli Service Leader in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is pretty ok. There's opportunity to move up, and you can make some great friendships with coworkers.

Cons

Customers are incredibly rude at times, and many people don't get recognized for all the hard work they put in on a daily basis

It's a job

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Brunswick, ME
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Brunswick, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work, no stress, no commute

Cons

Kids are promoted, not experienced adults

Follow the rules with regards to safety and common sense. Send people home if they are sick.

Frustrating job, not enough pay to live.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Portland, ME

I worked at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience with customers and learning how to work in a corporate system. Good job to start as a teenager. Decent pay for a cashier/service clerk. Best hours if you are fully flexible and pleasant with current management.

Cons

Lots of dreary days and boring, tedious work with very little promise of growth and pay that could support any sort of life outside of living with parents or with support of spouse with a much better job. Not a lot of room for growth unless fully available (not in high school or traditional college). Some managers are hard to deal with, others are great. Really affects the whole store and/or department's morale.

At least at my store, the current management's treatment of the department and/or store really affected the happiness and morale. Try to create a positive relationship with the departments in order to get your associates to do their best work. The best customer service comes from happy associates.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Saco, ME
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Saco, ME

I worked at Hannaford Bros. part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Steady pay, friendly coworkers, consistent schedule

Cons

Not recognized for hard work. Management is only concerned about their own success and does not seem to care if lower level employees are satisfied with their job

Pay more attention to the lower level employees, they are the ones communicating face to face daily with customers, if they are miserable it will reflect poorly on the customer experience

I just quit as of 12/3/13.Hannaford Employee of 23 years

Current Employee - Full-Time Produce Clerk in Waterboro, ME
    Current Employee - Full-Time Produce Clerk in Waterboro, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are full time dental benefits are great,The vacation pay is generous.

Cons

I quit
    After 23 years.I am a produce clerk at the Waterboro store in Maine.Hey Oldtimers I hope you stick it out!I couldn't take it anymore.A good old marine shout to you guys!

Hannaford needs RMT's like we need a hole in the head.They do not appreciate senior employees nor do they ever glean any advice from them.Management is more focused on abusing their employees than customer service.I spent the whole day stocking the shelves in the produce dept and blocking them and went on to the tasks while the assistant mgr milled around and chatted,doing little work as possible.But I loved my job even if I had to do all the work.O.ooo and the evening mgr shows up and was visibly enraged and berated me in public.Because I was the only one who had the gall to do a task that everyone skirted foolish me .I should have just left it and said it was too busy .But I am not like that I did it anyways.In fact I do pretty much all the tasks every single day.Without complaint.O.oo yea I forgot I was the only one stocking shelves today shame on me for being a thorough hard working employee.His excuse was oh so and so said she wanted me to fill back stock for CAO.I said for 5 hours?It takes me 30 minutes tops.There was hardly any CAO.So goodbye Hannaford I will miss my job because it was never tedious after 23 years.It was the coolest job in the world for me but management harassed me and tortured me for 2 years.Literally tortured me threatened my job every single week.It was total hell those last 2 years.A literal nightmare.So does anyone want an awesome Produce Clerk?I am the best!

Good job for someone just starting out ...

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service Associate in Wells, ME
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service Associate in Wells, ME

I worked at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    ~This is a great job for high school students, just starting out and looking to get some job experience.
    ~Good ability to get time off
    ~Always something to do at work
    ~Great way to meet people and make connections
    ~Low Stress Job

Cons

~Not getting enough hours (My experience was they gave the most hours to new employees who made the leas amount of money. I had to get a second job to make enough).
    ~Having to bring extra clothes because you are often required to do cart pickup duties, sometimes in bad weather, ending up getting soaked.
    ~Having your scanning speed timed, (If produce is not up front because the customer doesn't want to put it there you are penalized).

~Give equal opportunity of hours for scheduling.
    ~Don't take scanning times reports as a law of how fast someone scans. Sometimes we ask customers to put their produce up front (stuff that doesn't need scanning and doesn't start the timing clock) but they won't or don't listen. Cashiers shouldn't be penalized for this.

This is an excellent corporation to employed by.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Topsham, ME
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Topsham, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The fact that Hannaford Brother's is none-union sure allows the business climate to be in a relaxed frame of mind.

Cons

While Hannaford Brother's is only a grocery retail business and you accept this fact unconditionally, you'll be all right.

As long as you continue treating the Associates who are not in Management positions like normal people, everyone wins!

Service Leader

Current Employee - Customer Service Leader in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Customer Service Leader in Portland, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility when you're at school
    caters towards the high school - college crowd
    young talent

Cons

very demanding at low rates
    hard to get noticed

Overall great experience, but now it's time to move on.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Yarmouth, ME
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Yarmouth, ME

I worked at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Always looking for help in various departments
    Friendly and diligent management

Cons

Unsatisfactory amount of hours per week. It can be difficult to get more hours.
    Pay is low.
    It's a complicated process to move up through the company.

Advertise more opportunities to move throughout the company. My managers directed me to the corporate offices, where, for a year, I got a job that I truly fit.

Unfair and unjust treatment of employees. A depressing place to work.

Current Employee - Meat Department Associate in Brunswick, ME
    Current Employee - Meat Department Associate in Brunswick, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A good place to make close friends. There's no better way to find a few friends than being put in a group that is constantly deprived of basic human courtesy. The down trodden stick together.

Cons

The schedule is used as a disciplinary tool. Raises are given counted in pennies. Manager is a title for the excessively lazy. 15 years of exceptional reviews and hard work is overlooked in a promotion when someone else comes along that used to be in grammar school with the boss apllies for the same job. Work load is sometimes overbearing when you have to do the manager's job as well.

Do some work for once and stop socializing with the other managers as if you're on break for eight and a half hours.