Hannaford Bros. Reviews

24 reviews filtered by
  • Portland, ME Area
3.3
Brad Wise

1. Great place to start your career.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Westbrook, ME

I worked at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with. They are flexible with your schedule, especially if you are a student. Management and human resources are easy to talk to.

Cons

When/if you get a raise it is very minimal. The starting salary is very low. Benefits are expensive. There are no bonus or initiatives.

Promote more within. Work with college students so after graduation they will stick around and work their way up the ladder.

2. Hourly produce worker, good summer experience

Former Employee - Produce Associate in Wells, ME
    Former Employee - Produce Associate in Wells, ME

I worked at Hannaford Bros.

Pros

The people (managers and hourly workers) were great. Hannaford really tries to keep their employees happy, and I felt they succeeded in that goal. Generous starting pay (9.50/hr) for a student hourly worker with no prior experience. If I had stayed, I feel that there would have been room for promotion.

Cons

As an hourly worker, I hated the inconsistency of my schedule. Not to mention, working on holidays wasn't great, but overall I felt that my manager did a good job about being flexible with the schedule.

Meaningful employee reviews and recognition of good employee work.

3. It was a pleasant experience but just as you would expect from a retail job

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Standish, ME
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Standish, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros.

Pros

Its always a team effort and other employees are always there to help and happily answer questions. Manager always step in to help out in all departments of the store if needed

Cons

plain and simple, it's a retail environment. If you don't like customer service then this place isn't for you.

none

Sufficient College Job

Current Employee - Deli Service Leader in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Deli Service Leader in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is pretty ok. There's opportunity to move up, and you can make some great friendships with coworkers.

Cons

Customers are incredibly rude at times, and many people don't get recognized for all the hard work they put in on a daily basis

It's a job

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Brunswick, ME
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Brunswick, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work, no stress, no commute

Cons

Kids are promoted, not experienced adults

Follow the rules with regards to safety and common sense. Send people home if they are sick.

Frustrating job, not enough pay to live.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Portland, ME

I worked at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience with customers and learning how to work in a corporate system. Good job to start as a teenager. Decent pay for a cashier/service clerk. Best hours if you are fully flexible and pleasant with current management.

Cons

Lots of dreary days and boring, tedious work with very little promise of growth and pay that could support any sort of life outside of living with parents or with support of spouse with a much better job. Not a lot of room for growth unless fully available (not in high school or traditional college). Some managers are hard to deal with, others are great. Really affects the whole store and/or department's morale.

At least at my store, the current management's treatment of the department and/or store really affected the happiness and morale. Try to create a positive relationship with the departments in order to get your associates to do their best work. The best customer service comes from happy associates.

8. Average

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Saco, ME
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Saco, ME

I worked at Hannaford Bros. part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Steady pay, friendly coworkers, consistent schedule

Cons

Not recognized for hard work. Management is only concerned about their own success and does not seem to care if lower level employees are satisfied with their job

Pay more attention to the lower level employees, they are the ones communicating face to face daily with customers, if they are miserable it will reflect poorly on the customer experience

I just quit as of 12/3/13.Hannaford Employee of 23 years

Current Employee - Full-Time Produce Clerk in Waterboro, ME
    Current Employee - Full-Time Produce Clerk in Waterboro, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are full time dental benefits are great,The vacation pay is generous.

Cons

I quit
    After 23 years.I am a produce clerk at the Waterboro store in Maine.Hey Oldtimers I hope you stick it out!I couldn't take it anymore.A good old marine shout to you guys!

Hannaford needs RMT's like we need a hole in the head.They do not appreciate senior employees nor do they ever glean any advice from them.Management is more focused on abusing their employees than customer service.I spent the whole day stocking the shelves in the produce dept and blocking them and went on to the tasks while the assistant mgr milled around and chatted,doing little work as possible.But I loved my job even if I had to do all the work.O.ooo and the evening mgr shows up and was visibly enraged and berated me in public.Because I was the only one who had the gall to do a task that everyone skirted foolish me .I should have just left it and said it was too busy .But I am not like that I did it anyways.In fact I do pretty much all the tasks every single day.Without complaint.O.oo yea I forgot I was the only one stocking shelves today shame on me for being a thorough hard working employee.His excuse was oh so and so said she wanted me to fill back stock for CAO.I said for 5 hours?It takes me 30 minutes tops.There was hardly any CAO.So goodbye Hannaford I will miss my job because it was never tedious after 23 years.It was the coolest job in the world for me but management harassed me and tortured me for 2 years.Literally tortured me threatened my job every single week.It was total hell those last 2 years.A literal nightmare.So does anyone want an awesome Produce Clerk?I am the best!

10. Good job for someone just starting out ...

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service Associate in Wells, ME
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service Associate in Wells, ME

I worked at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    ~This is a great job for high school students, just starting out and looking to get some job experience.
    ~Good ability to get time off
    ~Always something to do at work
    ~Great way to meet people and make connections
    ~Low Stress Job

Cons

~Not getting enough hours (My experience was they gave the most hours to new employees who made the leas amount of money. I had to get a second job to make enough).
    ~Having to bring extra clothes because you are often required to do cart pickup duties, sometimes in bad weather, ending up getting soaked.
    ~Having your scanning speed timed, (If produce is not up front because the customer doesn't want to put it there you are penalized).

~Give equal opportunity of hours for scheduling.
    ~Don't take scanning times reports as a law of how fast someone scans. Sometimes we ask customers to put their produce up front (stuff that doesn't need scanning and doesn't start the timing clock) but they won't or don't listen. Cashiers shouldn't be penalized for this.

11. This is an excellent corporation to employed by.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Topsham, ME
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Topsham, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The fact that Hannaford Brother's is none-union sure allows the business climate to be in a relaxed frame of mind.

Cons

While Hannaford Brother's is only a grocery retail business and you accept this fact unconditionally, you'll be all right.

As long as you continue treating the Associates who are not in Management positions like normal people, everyone wins!