Hannaford Bros. Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

3.5

Ronald C. Hodge

Pros
  • Generally good people to work with, good starting job, flexible schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible hours, competitive pay (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • young people, don't really have people skills-no full time slots available, so no insurance (in 9 reviews)

• Not a lot of benefits for part time employees (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I have had an overall great experience working a Hannaford.

Former Employee - Meat Market Sales Associate  in  Middletown, NY
    Former Employee - Meat Market Sales Associate in Middletown, NY

I worked at Hannaford Bros. part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, great work environment. Friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Training is good but it lacks. It seems like you are only trained enough to get the job done. I have worked in the meat department and the seafood department and each time I was only trained enough so I could get the job done when left alone. There is a sign in the seafood department that says " our seafood experts will gladly help you with recipe suggestions: etc. After working seafood for more than a year this was not true for me. I laughed everytime i read the sign lol. I barelt knew anything about fish.

great communication

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. full-time

Pros

communication between departments and management is good as long as departments ask questions and care to know

Cons

so many part time employees few full time

Summer Job for a high schooler can be only what you expect.

I worked at Hannaford Bros.

Pros

Supportive Staff, register makes a rewarding 'beep' noise when you scan items.

Cons

A lot of standing. Received a stern talking-to when I took a 29minute lunch instead of 30m. About a dollar above the minimum wage.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a job

Current Employee - Deli Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hour potential
    management isn't micromanaging most of the time
    good starting pay in specialized depts (meat and deli specifically)
    it's not rocket science

Cons

small, inconsistent raises
    no full-time availability - LITERALLY no full-time. They don't want to pay for health insurance/benefits. the only chance of full-time is getting a management position.
    you can be working from anywhere between 4 in the morning and 11 at night (at my store at least)
    no guaranteed minimum hours - your managers can put you on for 4 hours if they feel like it, but to be fair, if you're a good worker that probably won't happen
    you likely can't live on your pay from here - you'll probably need another income

establish a living wage, establish raises that actually help your employees (NOT $0.05 per year!), provide bonuses and incentive for long-standing employees, actually follow through with reprimanding people who don't do their jobs, maybe learn how the departments function before you criticise your employees for how they do their jobs - it's likely that we know more about our product and customer interactions than the store managers do!

Invested in Us

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. full-time

Pros

Great Management team, cares for associates

Cons

Exhausting Work, Work hard, to Play hard

Fast paced and challenging atmosphere, made a lot of friends, and learned quite a lot.

Former Employee - Bookkeeper/Service Center Associate  in  Vails Gate, NY
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper/Service Center Associate in Vails Gate, NY

I worked at Hannaford Bros. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They were very flexible with my college schedule. Made life long friends working there and established connections that have truly benefit my career path after Hannaford. Things you don't think you're ever going to use again from working here truly come in handy in your personal life. It's good if you diversify your skills within this company, because the more you learn, the more work you'll get.

Cons

Confidentiality and Open Door Policy are somewhat lacking. Training new employees went through phases depending on management at the current time. I worked here for eight years and have seen the benefits of hard working managers who support their staff and the stark opposite, of which is not polite to discuss, but let's say that when you're intrinsically motivated on a regular basis and you can't muster getting up in the morning anymore because you know you'll be doing all of the work and getting none of the recognition, you tend to lack the motivation to want to do anything anymore except collect a paycheck.

It seemed that management was always rotated every few years. While I understand this makes good business sense, it needs to be re-evaluated on a store by store basis. My store in particular, was in need of a good store manager. When we finally got one, he didn't last more than two and half years until he was whisked away to another location.

Frustrating job, not enough pay to live.

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Portland, ME

I worked at Hannaford Bros. part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good experience with customers and learning how to work in a corporate system. Good job to start as a teenager. Decent pay for a cashier/service clerk. Best hours if you are fully flexible and pleasant with current management.

Cons

Lots of dreary days and boring, tedious work with very little promise of growth and pay that could support any sort of life outside of living with parents or with support of spouse with a much better job. Not a lot of room for growth unless fully available (not in high school or traditional college). Some managers are hard to deal with, others are great. Really affects the whole store and/or department's morale.

At least at my store, the current management's treatment of the department and/or store really affected the happiness and morale. Try to create a positive relationship with the departments in order to get your associates to do their best work. The best customer service comes from happy associates.

Good overall experience, nice co workers, good management, fairly flexible with schedule

I worked at Hannaford Bros.

Pros

Flexibility scheduling
    Ability to add extra hours

Cons

Typical supermarket jobs, management changed frequently, bad in small town

None

Like family

I worked at Hannaford Bros.

Pros

Meeting all the customers from your town. Associates became family. Opportunity to grow.

Cons

Low wages. No overtime and will be written up if exceeds 40+ hours in one week.

Management was so nice and friendly. Always there for you.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Maintenance  in  Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Hannaford Bros. part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work around college schedule. Simple work. Good pay for younger kids.

Cons

Departments are heavily segregated and are sometimes encouraged to stay away from other departments. Management can sometimes be a little harsh. Maximum raise per year for non-management is 1%. Also, you are supposedly allowed to put in applications to change departments, but I have repeatedly seen managers not allow people to leave based on their own selfish benefits.

I would advise management to screen applicants a little more closely. Often we get workers that just don't feel like working that hard, or they call in frequently. Take 5 minutes to call the applicants former employer and ask about punctuality.

Worked for Hannaford Bros.? Contribute to the Community!