Hannaford Bros.

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ronald C. Hodge

Pros
  • Generally good people to work with, good starting job, flexible schedule(in 11 reviews)

• Flexible hours, competitive pay(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • young people, don't really have people skills-no full time slots available, so no insurance(in 9 reviews)

• Not a lot of benefits for part time employees(in 6 reviews)

Invested in Us

ProsGreat Management team, cares for associates

ConsExhausting Work, Work hard, to Play hard

Fast paced and challenging atmosphere, made a lot of friends, and learned quite a lot.

Bookkeeper/Service Center Associate (Former Employee) Vails Gate, NY

ProsThey were very flexible with my college schedule. Made life long friends working there and established connections that have truly benefit my career path after Hannaford. Things you don't think you're ever going to use again from working here truly come in handy in your personal life. It's good if you diversify your skills within this company, because the more you learn, the more work you'll get.

ConsConfidentiality and Open Door Policy are somewhat lacking. Training new employees went through phases depending on management at the current time. I worked here for eight years and have seen the benefits of hard working managers who support their staff and the stark opposite, of which is not polite to discuss, but let's say that when you're intrinsically motivated on a regular basis and you can't muster getting up in the morning anymore because you know you'll be doing all of the work and getting none of the recognition, you tend to lack the motivation to want to do anything anymore except collect a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seemed that management was always rotated every few years. While I understand this makes good business sense, it needs to be re-evaluated on a store by store basis. My store in particular, was in need of a good store manager. When we finally got one, he didn't last more than two and half years until he was whisked away to another location.

Frustrating job, not enough pay to live.

Front End Cashier (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsGood experience with customers and learning how to work in a corporate system. Good job to start as a teenager. Decent pay for a cashier/service clerk. Best hours if you are fully flexible and pleasant with current management.

ConsLots of dreary days and boring, tedious work with very little promise of growth and pay that could support any sort of life outside of living with parents or with support of spouse with a much better job. Not a lot of room for growth unless fully available (not in high school or traditional college). Some managers are hard to deal with, others are great. Really affects the whole store and/or department's morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least at my store, the current management's treatment of the department and/or store really affected the happiness and morale. Try to create a positive relationship with the departments in order to get your associates to do their best work. The best customer service comes from happy associates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good overall experience, nice co workers, good management, fairly flexible with schedule

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility scheduling
    Ability to add extra hours

ConsTypical supermarket jobs, management changed frequently, bad in small town

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Its a job and it doesn't pay the bills

Technician (Current Employee) Bangor, ME

ProsThe customers, being able to make a difference

ConsManagers. Looking out for themselves, the bottom dollar is all that matters.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your employees are happy, they come to work happy and they show up

Decent pay for high school and college

Customer Service Leader (Current Employee)

ProsDecent wages for people with no other options, but hard to turn into a career. Some coworkers take pride in their work and complete tasks to the best of their abilities.

ConsManagement is lazy and does whatever they can to cut corners. Rules are bias to company profits, not employee safety or concern. Over hiring of people to keep hours under 28 effectively reduces hours to 8 hours a week for my my coworkers. A quote from a service leader "I hate it when people don't pull 92's (excessive money in drawer) when they're supposed to. One time a register got held up at gunpoint and each robber got away with $500. It's ridiculous how lazy some of our cashiers are."

Advice to Senior ManagementCompanies moto shouldn't be "if you don't have a doctors note, oh well".

Like family

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMeeting all the customers from your town. Associates became family. Opportunity to grow.

ConsLow wages. No overtime and will be written up if exceeds 40+ hours in one week.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was so nice and friendly. Always there for you.

Nice place to work

Maintenance (Current Employee) Bangor, ME

ProsWork around college schedule. Simple work. Good pay for younger kids.

ConsDepartments are heavily segregated and are sometimes encouraged to stay away from other departments. Management can sometimes be a little harsh. Maximum raise per year for non-management is 1%. Also, you are supposedly allowed to put in applications to change departments, but I have repeatedly seen managers not allow people to leave based on their own selfish benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to screen applicants a little more closely. Often we get workers that just don't feel like working that hard, or they call in frequently. Take 5 minutes to call the applicants former employer and ask about punctuality.

Great resume builder for college students

Customer Service Leader (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunities for advancement or cross-training
    Flexibility with school, life, etc.
    Personal time after 1 quarter
    Vacation/sick time after 1 year
    Benefits for part-time flex associates
    Pay rate is better than most grocery stores

ConsToo much drama/gossip, especially among middle management
    Scheduling issues have resulted in inadequate staffing levels at high-volume times.
    Competition in the surrounding area is increasing, and the store is becoming less busy.

Great Company To Work for!

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFor associates willing to focus on their jobs, and provide great customer service, the advancement opportunities are there for you. Started on night crew and worked my way up to Store Manager within 11 years.

ConsThe company is slowly changing due to operational priorities dictated by parent company Delhaize America in order to cut costs and be more price competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegardless of changes remember your "core values" and the great "culture" that Hannaford fostered over many years.

Worked for Hannaford Bros.? Contribute to the Community!