Hanover College

Add Photos

Sue DeWine

A Great Place to Start

IT Help Desk (Former Employee) Hanover, IN

ProsEveryone was friendly, you really get to know those you work with

ConsAdministration tends to gum things up

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on repairing than expanding

Strong salaries and good working environment

Faculty (Current Employee)

ProsThe administration cares about the employees. Salaries are good for this area. Attractive campus.

ConsRural and remote location. Poor environment for private education these days.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone to share.

CFA Lab Worker: Student Job

ProsEasy job, convenient hours, paid to do homework

ConsNot easy to switch hours in case of emergency or conflict

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hanover Review

Director of Experiential Learning (Current Employee) Hanover, IN

ProsHanover is the oldest Liberal Arts College in the state of Indiana. It has a rich academic history where students are encouraged to engage in deep learning. Not only students are encouraged to learn, but faculty and staff are encouraged to be lifelong learners. There are opportunities for faculty and staff to take classes, participate in campus culture such as plays, concerts, athletic events and the wellness program to name a few. I have worked at several colleges and I can honestly say that working at Hanover has been one of the most professionally and personally rewarding institutions I have worked!

ConsThe only con that I have is not really a con about the institution as it is about our current times. As I started working at Hanover shortly before the recession, and as the recession has hit private academics hard with budget cuts and freezes, it has been difficult to see my salary remain the same over the past several years and the cost of living go up.

No salary increase in three years, skimpy health insurance

Professor (Current Employee) Hanover, IN

ProsGood working conditions--beautiful campus. Faculty have much control over the content of their courses and even (within limits) over meeting times and courses offered. Cost of living is low in the area, which is scenic, but very rural and poor.

ConsPoor management on the part of the previous president led to a financial crisis. Despite increased enrollment, salaries have not increased and we are way behind average for schools of our type. Administration seems dismissive of faculty concerns about salary. Of course, the president and her VPs get paid a lot more than we do.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the guts to give merit increases to the faculty who work hardest and are most productive. It is dispiriting to see no raises for years and then, when we get one, for the worst and least productive to get the same percentage increase (often a much larger actual amount) than people who are shouldering most of the work.

A beautiful place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hanover, IN

ProsThe College, founded in 1827, is in a beautiful setting overlooking the Ohio River, and has great hiking trails. As with other academic settings, there are a lot of ways to become a part of the community though attending sporting or arts events, nearly all of which are free (as is parking!)

Given that Hanover is fairly isolated, it is great that the College often employs both spouses, occasionally in the same academic department, but sometimes in different administrative offices.

ConsHanover is fairly isolated, an hour from Louisville, KY; 90 minutes from Cincinnati, and about 2 hours from Indianapolis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify and build on our strengths.

Worked for Hanover College? Contribute to the Community!