Hanover Direct

Wayne P. Garten

Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Weehawken, NJ
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Weehawken, NJ

I worked at Hanover Direct as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Ok working environment. Decent systems.

Cons

No support from upper management. Company does not value their employees.

Value the employees that got you where you are.

Learned a lot about the catalog industry.

Former Employee - Warehouse in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Hanover Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good hours good people to work for.

Cons

Cross trained in all areas of the warehouse.

Treat your employees with respect and they need to make up part of the company.

It's has it's ups and downs.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Hanover Direct

Pros

Good benefits package including medical and dental. Generous employee discount. Wide variety of jobs available based on your skill level. Diverse culture of people employed. Company does many small functions throughout the year to show their appreciation for the employee's. This is a Monday thru Friday job schedule except for on rare occassions.

Cons

Business tends to be seasonal, and is slow at certain times of the year. There will be instanes where your hours can be cut dramatically for a period of weeks. Although, if your department is slow management will try to place you in another department but sometimes the work just isn't here. Raise freeze is in effect and has been now for about fours years. You may work for years and never see a increase in pay.

Be more available for employees to speak with you. I never see any of top management out in the warehouse just making rounds saying hello, ask how we are doing. I think it's also time to review the raise freeze again. At first I understood, I was just glad that I had a job. Almost four years later it's really doing your employees an injustice, and makes us question just how valuable we are to you.

Mixed. At times very good or very bad.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hanover Direct

Pros

Nice people. Pleasant office space. High compensation.

Cons

Weak management. High turnover across most managment levels.

Decide on a long term strategy and stick with it. Work to reduce turnover.

havent been here long - ok so far

I have been working at Hanover Direct

Pros

Good opportunity to train and get into the business. You'll learn a lot and people are generally friendly and helpful.

Cons

Long commute from New York. Uncertainty about promotions, raises and how the business is doing in general. There is a lot of quitting, firing and hiring.

Reward loyal employees and offer more chances at advancement and growth. Take a more proactive attitude to teaching your employees.

Poorly Managed

I worked at Hanover Direct

Pros

There aren't too many positives to working at Hanover Direct. The employees are generally very nice people who are all stuck with poor management, so that builds a weird sense of comradarie. The only other positive is that the offices have a wonderfl view of the Hudson River.

Cons

Senior Management is just horrible. Decisions are made, basically, by one person (the owner) who expects them to be executed without the proper employee structure in place. The CEO is just a figurehead who is hardly ever in the office. So many important job functions have been eliminated that, at this point, it's a bit like pushing a rock up a hill.

Hire back relevant positions to take the burden off your staff. You need to increase morale (no raises = no morale), or you will continue to see good people leave the company. Communication and transparency would be great as well.