Hanover Insurance Company

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marita Zuraitis

Good Company

I have been working at Hanover Insurance Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people to work with. Leadership at all levels seems to be in tune with the employee base.

ConsCertain business segments have better leadership than others. There tends to be specific areas of the company that get popular for a time, but then the trend shifts. If you miss the shift, you may be left in a stressful situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile there are a ton of cases where lazy employees may say they are overworked, make sure to assess the cases where good employees are burning out due to an unrealistic workload.

Great learning experience and leadership opportunities.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Hanover Insurance Company full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits. Nice work space and surroundings. Quiet up-to-date with new technologies.

ConsPeople are not too motivated. Blame game is a common thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with your employees.

Interesting company dynamics between IT and the Business- Upside Potential

Technology Director (Current Employee)
Worcester, MA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJob Stability
Excellent Business people (especially in Commercial-lines)
CEO truly understands the P&C Insurance Business
Premium Growth through Acquisitions

ConsTechnology lacks Leadership and a strategic roadmap
Very difficult to join from outside the company (especially in IT), most people have spent their entire career at Hanover
Innovation/Career opportunities
People Management

Advice to Senior ManagementShake-up the Technology group with some outside Leadership from the CIO to the Leadership level below the CIO. Demand a real technology strategy, company with $4B in premium should not have as many platforms as currently exist.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rats off a sinking ship in Michigan

Howell, MI

I have been working at Hanover Insurance Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros1. Managers are so busy filling vacancies of fleeing employees, no one holds us accountable for anything.

2. Our professional development now includes daily role playing on how to handle unprofessional, unethical and inappropriate behavior from RVP, and State Management.

3. Once average employees are suddenly valuable and desired now that the best ones are gone. Don't worry, there is still time to get in on this. More people will leave soon!

4. Casual dress code installed by new RVP. Shirts unbuttoned to mid chest, loafers with no socks. Chest hair OK.

Cons1. Real lack of leadership in this place. RP is disengaged. Just an old guy trying to finish his career and get out. Complete inability to judge talent as witnessed by the number of jerks and incompetent people in key roles who are allowed to hang on. Hiring new RVP who is unqualified for the role and creating havoc on the office is just the latest. This guy is a joke.

2. Unclear expectations and no real path for promotion. We hire incompetent people from the outside who block the way for lower level employees. People leave for much better
jobs.

3. Talented people are leaving everyday. My work is growing. Morale is bad. Not confident it will be fixed until RP and RVP are gone.

4. HR has ignored serious issues for years. They are no help.

5. Sadly, our agents are suffering too. Ignored and unheard. New guy says, "Everything is great".

Advice to Senior ManagementFred, It's time for a new "journey" in Michigan. We are on the same path as the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Very cohesive company, great culture, and even better people

FLIP (Current Employee)
Worcester, MA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance Company as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe folks I worked with are all knowledgeable and friendly. They are happy to be working here and all value their positions. Also, there is room for advancement, and quickly, if you are passionate about your job

ConsManagers have their ways set in stone it seems

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster the development of the FLPs and FLiPs

Great place if you show initiiative

Middle Market Underwriter (Current Employee)
Worcester, MA

ProsIf your manager is good, it's a great place. They are civic minded and provide good work like balance. Bonus program is pretty good.

ConsNone really. I work hard and advancement opportunities are plenty if you seek them.

Great Company to Work For

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hanover Insurance Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros. Great coworkers
. Pleasant atmosphere
. Nice benefits

Cons. Outsourcing
. Too heavy on the management side
. Poor project planning

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the experienced, dedicated workers you have in-house. You will never get the same quality work from outsourced resources. Look closely and you may find that outsourced work is getting done only because the experienced workers are outlining and correcting every bit of code. You think you're getting a bargain but you're actually paying more than necessary. Also, many of your experienced technical staff know a lot more about the business than your business staff; if your long term plan is to send your business specifications directly to consultant or offshore technical resources...well, good luck with that!

Hanover Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hanover Insurance Company

ProsEasy Commute, Good parking, cafeteria

ConsBureaucratic, no room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

The Hanover

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)

I worked at Hanover Insurance Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits, schedule, opportunity, cafe, parking garage

ConsTalented people are moved very slowly.

Strong company, progressive thining, fast-faced

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Worcester, MA

ProsGreat opportunity to get exposure and shine in a mid-sized organization. Exposure to C-Level executives as well as Business Unit leaders. Fast paced, changing environment. Collaborative work environment, team approach to achieving company results.

ConsNothing to speak of. Employees must take control of their career, and not expect the organization to do it for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in technology across the organization.

Worked for Hanover Insurance Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hanover Insurance Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hanover Insurance Company CEO Marita Zuraitis. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Hanover Insurance Company employees.