Hanover Insurance
www.hanover.com Worcester, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Hanover Insurance Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Hanover Insurance – Atlanta – “Hanover Insurance”

Hanover Insurance President, CEO, and Director and Acting CFO Fred Eppinger

Fred Eppinger

Pros:
  • "Opportunity to move throughout, good benefits, company is growing and secure"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great benefits, great training opportunities and room for growth"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "lack of communication from home office and between departments with vital info that needed to be shared"
    in 3 reviews
  • "The systems are antiquated and inefficient"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to gain experience, good people, but very slow-moving

Worcester, MA

I worked at Hanover Insurance part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people to work with. Multiple business areas/departments to transfer to once you are an established employee. There is some room to grow your career, but you have to be sure to please the correct people in upper-management

ConsManagement is often unclear. The work is tedious and sometimes it seems like it won't change. Also, there is high amount of re-work that has to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on attracting talent from the Worcester area, especially the pool of college students

Unfulfilled

Poperty and Casualty (Former Employee)

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time

ProsGreat people at the field level, hard working and in tune with the marketplace ; an overall favorable perception among agents.

Consslow to deliver on product; issues among agents remain with various lines of insurance; communication can be problematic.

Rewarding

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFamily Oriented , Values Employees, Good Company

ConsLower on the Salary Scale compared to competitors

Low quality of workforce

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsCEO is capable with great vision of steering the company

ConsLow quality of workforce, the manager in my team treat people with no respect, ask others follow the 9 to 6/7 or late schedule while give herself a very flexible schedule only because she has secret agreement with her boss, no one cares about how the team member feels though assign the jerk who shouldn't be managing people to rule.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company will head nowhere if you don't change the structure and have more qualified people join the team.

Good company with a lot of opportunity.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunity to move throughout, good benefits, company is growing and secure.

ConsMore attention and focus to new college grads not experienced people. Very lean in some areas. Lousy raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more consistent treatment to all employees.

Thoroughly enjoyed working for this company

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, great training opportunities and room for growth

ConsNothing bad to say about the company; had a very pleasant experience

Overworked

Agency Services Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsGood company, great benefits, time off with pay, sick time, beautiful campus with a great gym, awesome coworkers

Consbosses drink the management kool-aid and cannot relate to or just do not care about the daily struggles of their employees. A LOT of technology problems that over-complicate what should be easy tasks, employees who are low on the totem pole do not get to have their ideas heard which is very frustrating. older employees get phased out and laid off for younger ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who work for you. They do the job and are on the front lines and you could actually learn a lot from what they have to say. Do not blow them off. Value your hardest working employees to stop turnover.

Positive work environment with a good work/life balance.

Property Adjuster (Current Employee)
Howell, MI

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time

ProsMany if the unit managers help to provide the autonomy so you complete your work without being micromanaged, while still being available for support if needed. I feel valued and that I have future growth opportunities from my current role.

ConsClaims come in huge waves, can difficult to tackle and maintain high scores when volumes are high. Some of the procedures and systems to look up prior losses are archaic, take excessively long to compete a simple task and need to be updated.

Great place to Work

I have been working at Hanover Insurance

Prosgood pay, benefits, culture and advancement

Consmanagement can be political, make sure you do your JOB and you will go places within the company

Good company, but room for improvement.

Financial Analyst II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Company is small enough that you can still make an impact by putting in the effort. No need to worry about being another face in the crowd.
- Senior level management is knowledgeable and have bought into the vision and strategy of the company. The messaging from them is consistent.
- Most of the people are exceedingly pleasant, friendly, and approachable. It's easier to get through the day when you don't feel isolated or like a worker drone
- There are office politics, but less than I have seen elsewhere.

Cons- The career ladder isn't there. Many analysts report directly to one of the numerous VPs w/o clear career path forward.
- Antiquated systems, need to know how to use work-arounds to compile relevant data. Technology group is generally seen as a hindrance in completing tasks rather than a partner, so individual groups create their own work-arounds that are unique to the group.
- Some people are just collecting a paycheck, and it's noticeable.
- Cafeteria is not good. The place can't even make pizza right...

Advice to Senior Management- Invest in improving systems that will last us the next 10 years, not the next 10 months.
- Senior management should try to be more visible. You rarely see most of them around the building. Even if you do, the interactions with most of them normally don't seem very warm or inviting.

Worked for Hanover Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hanover Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hanover Insurance CEO Fred Eppinger. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by Hanover Insurance employees.