www.hanover.com

Updated October 21, 2014
3.1

Hanover Insurance President, CEO, and Director and Acting CFO Fred Eppinger
Fred Eppinger

Pros
  • Good Benefits, and good pay as compared to the industry standards (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, decent pay and time off very sufficient (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • lack of communication, important information does not make it to the people that need it (in 4 reviews)

• I work hard and advancement opportunities are plenty if you seek them (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Personal Lines Intern

Former Employee - Personal Lines
    Former Employee - Personal Lines

I worked at Hanover Insurance as an intern

Pros

Friendly environment. They expect the best out of you, but not more than you can give. Willing to work with you and very helpful. Your work is used in a manner where you can see how you are a contributing member of the company.

Cons

Projects are long and tend to keep building until you can no longer do anything with it. Tasks can get repetitive and drag on.

Lots of Favoritism

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits package; compensation is fair.

Cons

Co-workers are quick to provide negative comments; upper management plays favorites.

Started out great but has gone down hill.

Current Employee - Insurance Service Professional in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Insurance Service Professional in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vacation and Family support days are decent.

Cons

No room for growth especially if in Atlanta office. This office is treated completely differently from Worcester and Howell offices.

Good company, poor systems and management

Former Employee - Anonymous in Salem, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Salem, VA

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits (time off and 401k match and decent medical). Great co-workers. Stability if you're willing to stick around.

Cons

Old systems. Unrealistic expectations around workload. Very stressful

Need to recognize that you are burning out your best and most seasoned employees with workload and that is why they are leaving the company. Systems need to improve and workload needs to be realistic to prevent burn out.

Poor Middle Management

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, good benefits, stable

Cons

No room for advancement, poor middle management and unrealistic expectations.

Mentor employees instead of planning next happy hour. Have written policies and procedures instead of fly by the seat. Don't blame employees for Managers lack of direction.

good valued, homely place of work

Former Employee - Intern in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Worcester, MA

I worked at Hanover Insurance as an intern

Pros

great team and family atmosphere

Cons

can be a bit repetitive in workload

Good experience for my first “real” job.

Current Employee - Business Operations Consultant in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Consultant in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is awesome & the people are what make it such a great place to work. The benefits are very decent, with reasonable vacation time, paid holidays, family support, sick time, etc. You can't beat the 100% 401K match either because there aren't too many companies out there that match 100%. There is also lots of room for growth in various departments within the company.

Cons

It is hard for some to advance their career here because they feel "stuck" in their department. I haven't experienced this myself, but have heard it from others. Longtime & dedicated employees should have the same treatment & advancement opportunities that are given to the people in our Future Leaders Program (FLP). The FLP program is great, but it's for recent college grads with little to no experience in the corporate world. We should be giving our tenured employees the same tools for success that we do our FLP's. In the long run it will benefit Hanover to up-skill our seasoned employees since they are the dedicated ones. I believe many (not all) FLP's end up leaving the company after finishing their contract & then they just end up using their new skills learned @ Hanover elsewhere. It's a great program, but I think Hanover should cater to their committed employees a little more.

This comment is specifically for upper management. Please choose your management staff a little more wisely because these people represent our company & support many of our entry-level employees. A management role should be earned & not just handed out. We need to ensure our managers know the work & procedures for the employees they directly support. How can you manage someone effectively if you don't understand what they do? I'd like to see more managers with background experience relevant to the people they support directly.

Good place to gain necessary experience but office politics dominates advancement

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Operations department centers all education opportunities to recent college graduates but after their two year program ends, they all leave the organization by either switching to another department or leaving the company. So good place to start a career but need to keep other opportunities in sight. Excellent people support the day-to-day tasks the company has decent benefits and time off policy.

Cons

Operations area is dominated by the self proclaimed "leadership team" that controls all elements of the department. Favored people are promoted over ability so important for a person with appropriate skills and drive to move to another part of the company.

Systems are antiquated with little attention directed to resolving the numerous workarounds that frustrate the people who actually process the work. The "leadership" team considers themselves to be elite and totally control all aspects of the operations area and are quick and timely to reap praise on themselves and to ensure they are aligned to the next promotion while doing little for the other people. Hopefully someone can enter the ranks to correct this.

Horrible Employer

Former Employee - Auto Adjuster in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Auto Adjuster in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are fabulous and the pay is alright.

Cons

The manager's are terrible! If you challenge management in any way they will fire you. They hand down unrealistic expectations to employees, while playing favorites to others. Its ridiculous how this company operates. The bottom line is that they have a revolving door policy. Management does NOT care about anything but you, the employee, keeping your head down and your mouth shut. (I was literally told that by a manager while I was an employee) And I will definitely say that corporate does NOT care. You report this to them and they back up the management staff, even after several complaints about bullying, targeting, retailiation, etc...
    Oh and management requires people work when the office is on a holiday but you will NEVER see a manager there.

Upper Management should take a look at the branch offices and review their unit management staff. The Chief operator is never there, first of all. And secondly the unit managers are reviewed soley on their employees performance and not their own. This creates an "bullying" environment rather then an encouraging one. The managers constantly change procedures, so that employees are almost guaranteed to fail. This is to ensure that if they need to do job cuts they can. Maybe they should narrow it down to 1 manager to cover the whole office and the other 2 should be fired as thats about the amount of work they do. Well other then their bullying emails, threats, and useless meetings they have with the other managers. Oh and the countless smoke breaks the female managers go on with other members of "middle management". The place is a joke.

Claims Adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

vacation time is good - health insurance is not

Cons

Low pay - employees are not the most qualified, a lot of favoritism - the best employees leave.

Get managers who are qualified

Hanover Insurance Photos