www.hanover.com

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014

Hanover Insurance President, CEO, and Director and Acting CFO Fred Eppinger
Fred Eppinger

Pros
  • Good Benefits, and good pay as compared to the industry standards (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, decent pay and time off very sufficient (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • lack of communication, important information does not make it to the people that need it (in 4 reviews)

• I work hard and advancement opportunities are plenty if you seek them (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience with Hanover was very positive.

Current Employee - IT Intern in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Corporate culture is great and everybody is friendly and willing to help out. Exposure to senior leaders through intern events. Very structured intern program which allows you to interact with other interns weekly.

Cons

Difficult to move from department to department

Keep putting resources into the internship program!

Constant "Re-Organization"

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The day to day of working and the culture are positive. Work was interesting.

Cons

When I was hired (after quitting a good job), a Vice President stated to me they wondered how long I would last. Four (4) people had preceded me in my role and none of them had lasted for more then a year. All of them were involuntarily terminated for "re-organizations"

After hired I was involved in "re-organizations" throughout the Company. They were trying to be the best place to work (and when there it IS a good place to work) but do not treat exiting "re-organized" employees with the same courtesy. Often good people were let go and denied bonus payment while working even though their performance was not an issue. Often "outplacement" and severance was the bare minimum. Discussions revolved around how little to give people.

Beware of the greedy sleeping dragon.

Management needs to determine their needs for the long term and stop hiring people only to let them go a year later. Also, treat people fairly when they exit the organization - especially if the individual did not have performance or conduct issues.

BTW - I was employed beyond the "year" that doomed my predecessors.

Great people, great work-life balance, not much challenge

I worked at Hanover Insurance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Had the opportunity to work on a team with a lot of great people. The compensation was pretty good, and the work life balance is pretty much what you would expect from a 9-5 job. Learned a lot of great technical skills and a lot about the insurance industry

Cons

Not a very stimulating work environment. Didn't see much potential for career growth unless planning to work up the ranks internally. Didn't feel a real sense of passion for the work being done while in the office.

Personal Lines Intern

Former Employee - Personal Lines
    Former Employee - Personal Lines

I worked at Hanover Insurance as an intern

Pros

Friendly environment. They expect the best out of you, but not more than you can give. Willing to work with you and very helpful. Your work is used in a manner where you can see how you are a contributing member of the company.

Cons

Projects are long and tend to keep building until you can no longer do anything with it. Tasks can get repetitive and drag on.

Lots of Favoritism

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits package; compensation is fair.

Cons

Co-workers are quick to provide negative comments; upper management plays favorites.

Started out great but has gone down hill.

Current Employee - Insurance Service Professional in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Insurance Service Professional in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vacation and Family support days are decent.

Cons

No room for growth especially if in Atlanta office. This office is treated completely differently from Worcester and Howell offices.

Good company, poor systems and management

Former Employee - Anonymous in Salem, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Salem, VA

I worked at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits (time off and 401k match and decent medical). Great co-workers. Stability if you're willing to stick around.

Cons

Old systems. Unrealistic expectations around workload. Very stressful

Need to recognize that you are burning out your best and most seasoned employees with workload and that is why they are leaving the company. Systems need to improve and workload needs to be realistic to prevent burn out.

Good experience for my first “real” job.

Current Employee - Business Operations Consultant in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Consultant in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is awesome & the people are what make it such a great place to work. The benefits are very decent, with reasonable vacation time, paid holidays, family support, sick time, etc. You can't beat the 100% 401K match either because there aren't too many companies out there that match 100%. There is also lots of room for growth in various departments within the company.

Cons

It is hard for some to advance their career here because they feel "stuck" in their department. I haven't experienced this myself, but have heard it from others. Longtime & dedicated employees should have the same treatment & advancement opportunities that are given to the people in our Future Leaders Program (FLP). The FLP program is great, but it's for recent college grads with little to no experience in the corporate world. We should be giving our tenured employees the same tools for success that we do our FLP's. In the long run it will benefit Hanover to up-skill our seasoned employees since they are the dedicated ones. I believe many (not all) FLP's end up leaving the company after finishing their contract & then they just end up using their new skills learned @ Hanover elsewhere. It's a great program, but I think Hanover should cater to their committed employees a little more.

This comment is specifically for upper management. Please choose your management staff a little more wisely because these people represent our company & support many of our entry-level employees. A management role should be earned & not just handed out. We need to ensure our managers know the work & procedures for the employees they directly support. How can you manage someone effectively if you don't understand what they do? I'd like to see more managers with background experience relevant to the people they support directly.

good valued, homely place of work

Former Employee - Intern in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Worcester, MA

I worked at Hanover Insurance as an intern

Pros

great team and family atmosphere

Cons

can be a bit repetitive in workload

Good place to gain necessary experience but office politics dominates advancement

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hanover Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Operations department centers all education opportunities to recent college graduates but after their two year program ends, they all leave the organization by either switching to another department or leaving the company. So good place to start a career but need to keep other opportunities in sight. Excellent people support the day-to-day tasks the company has decent benefits and time off policy.

Cons

Operations area is dominated by the self proclaimed "leadership team" that controls all elements of the department. Favored people are promoted over ability so important for a person with appropriate skills and drive to move to another part of the company.

Systems are antiquated with little attention directed to resolving the numerous workarounds that frustrate the people who actually process the work. The "leadership" team considers themselves to be elite and totally control all aspects of the operations area and are quick and timely to reap praise on themselves and to ensure they are aligned to the next promotion while doing little for the other people. Hopefully someone can enter the ranks to correct this.

Hanover Insurance Photos